test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    @CapnLogan
    Huh? What about the Intrepid then? Thought you were working on a new variant.

And by the way, some awesome work your were showing off the last couple of days. Kudos!
    edited July 2011
    The current sovvy needs a refit for T5
    edited July 2011
    The current sovvy needs a refit for T5

Its already a T5.

T4 is the Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant (and their skins) and even those all have a t5 VA version.

Now did anyone else read between the lines and think that Capn was suggesting that the Enterprie is going to be a Star Cruiser style ship? (IE extra science slots)
    edited July 2011
    oops wrong thread
    edited July 2011
    Capn: Reposting this from TrekBBS:

http://www.trekbbs.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5121243
    I have one "warning bell" when looking at those images.

It does appear that the windows are not along decklines. They seem to curve along the hull. I suppose for those on the very top of the hull, you can have big "bay ceilings" at various heights, with those windows. But on other parts of the ship, they seem to have no real relationship to specific decks.

So, unless the internal decks in this ship have rolling "hills and valleys" I think that the windows reflect (no pun intended) a problem.

This could be an optical illusion, but it sure looks that way to me, and I've got exceptional "spacial awareness" skills.

I do see what he means in a few places, like on the top of the saucer the windows plunge on the Z axis into the deep V area, and on the eng. hull under the nacelle struts, they sort of curve down as they approach the rear. (in This and This image respectively

Dunno if its possible, or if you cleaned then up in the touch up pass you did after the screens were taken, just an FYI :)
    edited July 2011
    Its already a T5.

T4 is the Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant (and their skins) and even those all have a t5 VA version.

Now did anyone else read between the lines and think that Capn was suggesting that the Enterprie is going to be a Star Cruiser style ship? (IE extra science slots)

Mean, it shouldn't be outclassed by the aging excelsior.
    edited July 2011
    As far as windows go, the exterior of STO ships is horrendous for gleaning anything about the interior (with the warp core hatch and shuttlebay doors as exceptions). If you check out the link in my sig to my ship's Master Display System, you'll see how frustrating it was for me to try to match up windows and decks. The issue is that the outside is done more for coolness' sake and rapid finishing of ships, rather than actual functionality. Not saying that's the case with the big F, just that it appears on all STO ships.

However, that second pic definitely showcases some "hilly" decks, especially in the windows that run with the red decal lines...
    edited July 2011
    Hey Logan, any chance of getting the pylons on the new Akira refit swept up on a variant?
    edited July 2011
    Not sure how hard it is to alter the patterns on ships, but one thing thats always nagged me about the Defiant in STO is the nose, it's really plain unlike how it was in the show:-

untitled-121.jpg?w=585&h=849

Any chance that beige paneling could get added to the nose? I know the paneling on the Defiant isn't the same as in the shows, but the missing paneling on the top of the nose makes the ship feel a bit odd to me.

Also, the Bridge of the Defiant is the same colour as the rest of the hull, ingame, if you want the ship's panels to show, the bridge is really dark, which makes the ships appearance also seem off.

I'm hoping because these are effectively texture pattern tweaks that they arn't actually that hard to implement? Hell, I'd be willing to create the correct texture template for the Andromeda (default) texture to get this is game :-)

And yes, I'm flying the Defiant class now, hence my interest, lol :P
    edited July 2011
    Would love to get those in... these kinds of details tend to be left of because of tri count. I got as many panels on the hull as I could. Maybe i could ninja a few in some dayl. :)

Sprint01 wrote:
    Hey Logan, any chance of getting the pylons on the new Akira refit swept up on a variant?

heeeheehee the Akira variant is already done. They pylons themselves are swept down like hte original, but the secondary "hulls" are swept up higher. I think you'll approve.
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Would love to get those in... these kinds of details tend to be left of because of tri count. I got as many panels on the hull as I could. Maybe i could ninja a few in some dayl. :)

heeeheehee the Akira variant is already done. They pylons themselves are swept down like hte original, but the secondary "hulls" are swept up higher. I think you'll approve.

there is an old internet addage that applies here.

PPOR.
    edited July 2011

PPOR.

Psychological Power Operated Robots? Me no see relevance. :p
    edited July 2011

PPOR.

Or as the kids say it these days...

Screenshots or it didn't happen.
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:

*whisper*sovereign stripes & decals*whisper* :p

Btw, just curious, will the new Enterprise F material be available to all fed ships?
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:

Perhaps just altering the texture file that defines the patterns?

I've made a quick diagram to show it

defiantfixes.jpg

That shouldn't use any extra polygons (although I'm not sure how you'd do the biege area's without it, perhaps just putting a low alpha value on those panels so you have a dark, medium and light colour to make the patterns work?

You can also see that the red stripe isn't on the nose like it is on the default Defiant texture in the previous referance image.
    edited July 2011
    Dunno if this is the right spot, but it says feedback... soo.. .

Studying the new Odyssey Class and the discussion of Separation-or /Pet. It seems to be that it has a natural allowance for a detachable portion of the saucer section to act as a support craft. Something along the lines of this:

HowSeparationShouldWork.jpg

which would go a long way in explaining the dual neck and saucer design acting as a cradle for the craft and allowing swift separation in certain situations.

My two bits for what it is worth.
    edited July 2011
    KappaTau wrote:
    Psychological Power Operated Robots? Me no see relevance. :p

It's an acronym for the longhand version of "Pics or it didn't happen" It stands for Post Proof Or Retract, I think.
    edited July 2011
    Suricata wrote: »
    Not sure how hard it is to alter the patterns on ships, but one thing thats always nagged me about the Defiant in STO is the nose, it's really plain unlike how it was in the show:-

untitled-121.jpg?w=585&h=849

Any chance that beige paneling could get added to the nose? I know the paneling on the Defiant isn't the same as in the shows, but the missing paneling on the top of the nose makes the ship feel a bit odd to me.

Also, the Bridge of the Defiant is the same colour as the rest of the hull, ingame, if you want the ship's panels to show, the bridge is really dark, which makes the ships appearance also seem off.

I'm hoping because these are effectively texture pattern tweaks that they arn't actually that hard to implement? Hell, I'd be willing to create the correct texture template for the Andromeda (default) texture to get this is game :-)

And yes, I'm flying the Defiant class now, hence my interest, lol :P

CapnLogan wrote:

Thanks, CapnLogan :)

One more question though if I might. the spot light on the dorsal section of the Defiant. It's on page 1 of this thread, and it's been in threads for awhile now. Is this a quick fix you could slip into an update somewhere?
    edited July 2011
    Irish-Fury wrote: »

Makes me think that a variant with a holed saucer (kinda like the ones from perpetual) would look awesome.

Second, to the devs, the borg are supposed to be asymmetrical and all, but on some ships, particularly the larger ones, the borg effects look like a quilted pattern. Screenshot: http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/cwag123321/borgstm.jpg

It's really keeping me from using it on my larger ships, which I would love to do because It's a matter of pride. :D
    Edit: And yes I know I can disable the visuals, but I would like to use them, it's just the shield doesn't look great.
    edited July 2011
    Irish-Fury wrote: »
    Dunno if this is the right spot, but it says feedback... soo.. .

Studying the new Odyssey Class and the discussion of Separation-or /Pet. It seems to be that it has a natural allowance for a detachable portion of the saucer section to act as a support craft. Something along the lines of this:

which would go a long way in explaining the dual neck and saucer design acting as a cradle for the craft and allowing swift separation in certain situations.

My two bits for what it is worth.

Actually, that looks far more sensible than Perpetual's approach. Which, IMO, looked to be starships with big holes for the fun of it.
    edited July 2011
    Actually, I believe that this is the currently proposed separation.

bkQVT.jpg
    edited July 2011
    Yes, I know this.

What I am saying is that the dual next design naturally lends itself to a different sort of separation gimmic...

A ship this size would be better served with an additional offensive/defensive craft with better maneuverability.
    edited July 2011
    The one thing that bothers me about the new Odyssey-class (aside from looking still like an updated Sovereign) is that if there is a saucer seperation, then where is the Secondary Impulse Engines?

With the Galaxy you had 2 Impulse Engines on the Saucer and a Centerline Impulse Engine for the Stardrive Section.

BTW Capn, when you think you will get a chance to go another round with the Prometheus?
    edited July 2011
    They do not require visible ports in order to be present. They could be baffled like the Nebula Class.
    edited July 2011
    Azurian wrote: »
    The one thing that bothers me about the new Odyssey-class (aside from looking still like an updated Sovereign) is that if there is a saucer seperation, then where is the Secondary Impulse Engines?

I'm not sure, hard to tell...but these could be the impulse engines?

gpH3v.jpg
    edited July 2011
    The Capn has already stated that the saucer section has impulse engines that are on the dorsal side of the saucer, i.e. only visible when separated.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3660321&postcount=271
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    doh! yeah I won't be doing any variants for current T5 ships.
    So, there is no hope in getting a better looking Assault Cruiser variant, Excelsior or Dreadnought?
    All the begging since 1,5 Years for nothing...
    I think I'll take a couple of months off or so.:(

Live long and prosper.
    edited July 2011
    Yreodred wrote:
    So, there is no hope in getting a better looking Assault Cruiser variant, Excelsior or Dreadnought?
    All the begging since 1,5 Years for nothing...
    I think I'll take a couple of months off or so.:(

Live long and prosper.

Tis a shame.

I think I'm one of the few who thinks the USS Legoland (Noble class...) could actually be salvaged to something that looks believably canon if all the blocky extrusions were reduced in size. Heck, I might even fly the thing if someone did that!
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    doh! yeah I won't be doing any variants for current T5 ships.

So does that mean we will never get those awesome naccelles that the Galaxy-Class in the ESD shipyard has? :(
    edited July 2011
    Koppenflak wrote:
    Tis a shame.

I think I'm one of the few who thinks the USS Legoland (Noble class...) could actually be salvaged to something that looks believably canon if all the blocky extrusions were reduced in size. Heck, I might even fly the thing if someone did that!

Same. The Noble needs to be cleaned up, it looks half arsed. That neck where the Double-E's shuttle bay is? wtf is that, it looks forgotten :/

I know Logan is flying solo atm, but some of this stuff needs cleaning up.
This discussion has been closed.