Install Arc

Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Some things I'm fixing today:

Discovery saucer cutting off edges of long names

Intrepid - grills behind Bussard collector are no longer glowy red, but silver
    - removed name from underside of saucer
    - corrected the aft phaser strips b eneath shuttle bay
    - removed the extra opening on the spine of the saucer
    - i removed the weapons hardpoints from the saucer... all nodes will still fire from where they were... but hte hardpoints are gone now.
    -fixed the shape of the cowling around the aft shuttlebay
    -added the running strips to the shuttle bay entrance
    -added the indentations on the spine of the secondary hull

Did you fix the missing starboard navigation light?

Screenshot:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5721/screenshot2011071823560.jpg

Really hope so, because when i didn't know about it I played for months without noticing. Since someone told me about it, it seems it is the first thing that jumps to my sight :(
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Some things I'm fixing today:

Discovery saucer cutting off edges of long names

Intrepid - grills behind Bussard collector are no longer glowy red, but silver
    - removed name from underside of saucer
    - corrected the aft phaser strips b eneath shuttle bay
    - removed the extra opening on the spine of the saucer
    - i removed the weapons hardpoints from the saucer... all nodes will still fire from where they were... but hte hardpoints are gone now.
    -fixed the shape of the cowling around the aft shuttlebay
    -added the running strips to the shuttle bay entrance
    -added the indentations on the spine of the secondary hull

Cochrane - no shuttlebay fixed

Cochrane - horrible stretching on saucer fixed

This is all I have time for on this series of ships for now.... I'd do more but i really must move on if I want to do more fixes to other ships as well later in my schedule. This ate my lunch break today :)

Considering how this thread is reminiscient of a Hydra (cut off one head it sprouts 2 more) I'm sure I'll be back for more Intrepid series fixes later on.

*I don't know when these fixes will get patched in... within a month for sure.

You're a star, Matey... Thanks for listening to my concerns over the stretching on the Cochrane Saucer.

My only gripe now is (sorry to me nit-picking) the impulse engines on the Cochrane and Discovery saucers, they're redundant and would love a re-modelling to remove them if you could pull some of your magic.

Cheers
    edited July 2011
    redleader wrote: »
    Did you fix the missing starboard navigation light?

Screenshot:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5721/screenshot2011071823560.jpg

Really hope so, because when i didn't know about it I played for months without noticing. Since someone told me about it, it seems it is the first thing that jumps to my sight :(

lol TRIBBLE! ok i'll get that too
    Strorus wrote:
    You're a star, Matey... Thanks for listening to my concerns over the stretching on the Cochrane Saucer.

My only gripe now is (sorry to me nit-picking) the impulse engines on the Cochrane and Discovery saucers, they're redundant and would love a re-modelling to remove them if you could pull some of your magic.

Cheers

NP friend, sorry though I can't take off those engines... they are very very very beloved by many :)
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    lol TRIBBLE! ok i'll get that too

Thank you very much

:D
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Might as well post screenies of the fix along with a new material that's coming dow nthe pipe

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-1.jpg

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-2.jpg

Also just re-UV'd the top of the saucer so there's no windows overlapping those weird thingies on the texture... you know the window looking thingies on all the textures that I cannot explain a purpose for? :)

I know It'll be fixed in the next patch. Tell your friends.

I still cant get over how good this new material looks man. You have outdone your self Adam. This may sound cheeky...but can I see what the material looks like on the Galaxy.:o
    edited July 2011
    Quick question about the discovery variants necelle pylons. It looks as though the fins would fold up flat unser the fantail and when at warp the fins would come down. Is the 90 degree virtical warp pylons intended or is this somthing on the list to get sorted.
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Might as well post screenies of the fix along with a new material that's coming dow nthe pipe

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-1.jpg

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-2.jpg

Also just re-UV'd the top of the saucer so there's no windows overlapping those weird thingies on the texture... you know the window looking thingies on all the textures that I cannot explain a purpose for? :)

CapnLogan, thanks. But there's one more thing (I hate to sound like that person). The underside of the saucer shouldn't look like it does. It should be one 'bowl' like shape with one row of windows (being the only lit things). It's in the main summary page of this thread which contains the reference shots. In essence, the forward two rows of lights shouldn't exist (only the one closest to the aerowing shuttle).

Edit to add: The underside should look like this: ventral saucer. Right now, it looks like it has 3 wedges or planes stacked on top of each other. It should roughly look like the underside of a triangular spoon stacked under a much larger inverted spoon (the dorsal section of the saucer). Yes, they fashioned the ship after a spoon (ask the ship designers).

That said, it definitely looks better. :)
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    should work in the next patch :)

Thanks! btw, amazing work :) and i thank you for all the effort you're putting into it and still have time to have a look in the forum
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-1.jpg

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-2.jpg

I need a new keyboard now...

peter
    edited July 2011
    AuntKathy wrote:
    CapnLogan, thanks. But there's one more thing (I hate to sound like that person). The underside of the saucer shouldn't look like it does. It should be one 'bowl' like shape with one row of windows (being the only lit things). It's in the main summary page of this thread which contains the reference shots. In essence, the forward two rows of lights shouldn't exist (only the one closest to the aerowing shuttle).

And the registry should be shrunk and moved closer to the row of windows just fore of the Aeroshuttle.

There should also be windows to either side of the Aeroshuttle, as well as a little row of greeblies fore and aft of the Aeroshuttle.

The ventral surface of the saucer shouldn't be a 3 tiered superstructure. The centre area should be convex surrounded by a... Well... For lack of a better word, "moat" that separates it from the surrounding surface.

(Also, can the painted runway markings on the fantail be yellow instead of (what looks like) black?)

Just sayin' :3

D50DS.jpg

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-2.jpg
    edited July 2011
    AuntKathy wrote:

Edit to add: The underside should look like this: ventral saucer. Right now, it looks like it has 3 wedges or planes stacked on top of each other. It should roughly look like the underside of a triangular spoon stacked under a much larger inverted spoon (the dorsal section of the saucer). Yes, they fashioned the ship after a spoon (ask the ship designers).

Yes, Thomas The Cat and I just sat down a few minutes ago and went over the list... we iddn't get to this yet because it'll take a bit more time than I have today. It's a fix I'm aware of though and I'll get to it when I have a spare hour.

*Angel - I'll try to squeeze those in when I get the time to re-work the "bowl" :)
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Yes, Thomas The Cat and I just sat down a few minutes ago and went over the list... we iddn't get to this yet because it'll take a bit more time than I have today. It's a fix I'm aware of though and I'll get to it when I have a spare hour.

*Angel - I'll try to squeeze those in when I get the time to re-work the "bowl" :)

Yay! My hero! :)
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:

lol good gracious you're fast!

I was just re-hosting a broken image link for the first page so I could re-post it on this page (re: the yellow fantail markings. xD... I kept adding little bits to that post I made, probably didn't even see you posting after me. :3
    edited July 2011
    is it just me or does the Aeroshuttle seem a bit "flat" at the very least, might we be able to get some details on it, or make it a tad 3Dish?

peter
    edited July 2011
    PerRock wrote: »
    is it just me or does the Aeroshuttle seem a bit "flat" at the very least, might we be able to get some details on it, or make it a tad 3Dish?

peter

It was more 3d earlier this morning... i intentionally flattened it more to be in line with Canon references.

I have a physical Bandai model of it here in the office that I'm looking over... it's very very flat.

About the yellow striping - right now it will be the same color as the RCS thrusters... I can, however, shift the geometry off of the hull model and on to the 'decal' part of the model, and shrink the UV space down to a single pixel and just put it over one of the starfleet logo's on the decal texture sheet and it'll make 'em yellow. :)

**edit**

how's this?
    Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-3.jpg
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    It was more 3d earlier this morning... i intentionally flattened it more to be in line with Canon references.

I have a physical Bandai model of it here in the office that I'm looking over... it's very very flat.

Soooooo many cool points to you for having the model of the Aeroshuttle.

GOD that's awesome.

Very true, though, as evidenced in the large picture I posted before, the bottom of the Aeroshuttle is quite flat; however, it does have some detail. (I think that it has the ship's registry and U.S.S. Voyager on either side of the fuselage)

CapnLogan wrote:
    About the yellow striping - right now it will be the same color as the RCS thrusters... I can, however, shift the geometry off of the hull model and on to the 'decal' part of the model, and shrink the UV space down to a single pixel and just put it over one of the starfleet logo's on the decal texture sheet and it'll make 'em yellow. :)

Hmmm (Inner dialogue: Just go with it and pretend to understand. The last thing says it will make them yellow, so just say thank you and you are glad.)

Thank you, I'm very glad. ^.^
    edited July 2011
    A shot of the Cochrane with fixed stretching... windows are fixed too

Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type3.jpg
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:

Oh no that's cool,I was only basing it off the picture posted above (or previous page if this gets bumped). Where it appears to be extruding out a bit from the the 'mother ships' hull. And has more details to it.

Now if only we had a 3D model we could un-dock and fly around in of the Aeroshuttle & Waverider.

peter

Edit: just saw your more recent post & got me thinking. Do you have any plans on putting the red strips onto some of the other Cryptic Designed models as well or just the cannon ones?
    edited July 2011
    Sorry to change the subject, I love the changes to the Intrepid however...Any chance the sovereign will get its decals? Or the Constitution refit getting some fixes?
    edited July 2011
    PerRock wrote: »
    Oh no that's cool,I was only basing it off the picture posted above (or previous page if this gets bumped). Where it appears to be extruding out a bit from the the 'mother ships' hull. And has more details to it.

Now if only we had a 3D model we could un-dock and fly around in of the Aeroshuttle & Waverider.

peter

Edit: just saw your more recent post & got me thinking. Do you have any plans on putting the red strips onto some of the other Cryptic Designed models as well or just the cannon ones?

Found a better picture of the Aeroshuttle's details for you. :)

nCZ72.jpg
    edited July 2011
    axsys wrote:
    Any chance the sovereign will get its decals? Or the Constitution refit getting some fixes?

Yes Sovvy will get decals... Conny will get fixes too... I can't paint myself in to a corner and say when though.

concerning Cryptic ships with no decals - they will probably get 'em eventually but it's low priority.
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Yes Sovvy will get decals... Conny will get fixes too... I can't paint myself in to a corner and say when though.

concerning Cryptic ships with no decals - they will probably get 'em eventually but it's low priority.

Cool. Thanks for responding Capn!
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Yes Sovvy will get decals...

Thank you! Finally! ¿Any ETA on that? :)
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:

**edit**

how's this?
    Ship_Fed_Fs3_Type1-3.jpg

Looks great!

Would look better like this, though. ;) (including the registry numbers and non-hull coloured landing pad). :3

0FkzR.jpg

Here's an easy link to lots of model images:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=66451

Just change the last 1 to 2 digits of the url. The last Intrepid model ends with:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=66479

This includes studio shots taken during filming. :)
    edited July 2011
    i think the cochrane could benefit from a bridge module structure. something that may be in line with its design could be a defiant-like recessed look.
    Looks great!

Would look better like this, though. ;) (including the registry numbers. :3 )

0FkzR.jpg

wow i forgot that there was a color difference.. and also forgot there were transporter emitter pads on either side of the structure
    edited July 2011
    Also, it would be great if the impulse engines could get a bit of spit and polish, as well to look a bit more like this:

5cU5A.jpg
    edited July 2011
    For Galaxy Class model images, the ST-Bilder site has 234 images. To see the actual full size, full resolution images, you'll need to fudge a bit and fiddle with the URL to see them.

They start here:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=66217

and end here:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=66450

Just change the numbers at the end to increment up from 217 to 450
    edited July 2011
    Good links. I don't know if I'll be able to do the impulse engines like that without blowing my budgets away... I'll see what my tri-counts look like after removing the extra rows from the bottom of the saucer.
    edited July 2011
    CapnLogan wrote:
    Good links. I don't know if I'll be able to do the impulse engines like that without blowing my budgets away... I'll see what my tri-counts look like after removing the extra rows from the bottom of the saucer.

You also mentioned you'll be going over the Constitution, so here are the range of urls to the raw Connie images:

There are 391 images, the url starts here:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=65445

and ends, here:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=65835

Includes TOS Enterprise as well as the TMP Enterprise.

=edit=

Annnnnd for when you get ready to do the Ambassador class:

48 images starting from:

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=65388

to

http://www.st-bilder.de/gallery/image.raw?type=orig&id=65435
    edited July 2011
    I hope we see the Aeroshuttle in game one day.

I could see it as a console power - a support craft with an animated launch. And also as a shuttle that we could pilot.

Might be a nice C-Store addition for existing Intrepid / Cochrane / Discovery owners.
This discussion has been closed.