test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starships: Model errors, issues and feedback

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Not saying that your wrong, just that you need to be sure to use "authentic" reference material for this thread. :cool:
    edited March 2011
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    Not saying that your wrong, just that you need to be sure to use "authentic" reference material for this thread. :cool:

Although people like Doug Drexler are accepted as references, as they worked on the show and films and their models are either the same as was used in the show and films or reproductions of such.
    edited March 2011
    Although people like Doug Drexler are accepted as references, as they worked on the show and films and their models are either the same as was used in the show and films or reproductions of such.

Yeah but that kinda still falls under the category of "Authentic" reference material, just as the studio models. ;)
    edited March 2011
    I was flying the Delta Flyer for a while and I did detect some model error no animation to the Nacelles when going to warp.
    The Nacelles suppose to retract and extend while going into warp and out of warp.

As seen on the episode Good Shepherd when the Flyer goes out of warp her nacelles were retracting I hope some one could add that it. If this can be added for the flyer in STO that will be great. Just watch the episode and ya know what I mean.
    edited March 2011
    Celiea wrote:
    I was flying the Delta Flyer for a while and I did detect some model error no animation to the Nacelles when going to warp.
    The Nacelles suppose to retract and extend while going into warp and out of warp.

As seen on the episode Good Shepherd when the Flyer goes out of warp her nacelles were retracting I hope some one could add that it. If this can be added for the flyer in STO that will be great. Just watch the episode and ya know what I mean.

Updated, thank you. :)
    edited March 2011
    I dont think they are supposed to move. This is a Delta class shuttle, based on the Delta Flyer, not the actual Flyer itself.
    edited March 2011
    I dont think they are supposed to move. This is a Delta class shuttle, based on the Delta Flyer, not the actual Flyer itself.

Nope - it's just a 'mass-production' version of the original, in the same way that the Defiant prototype became a fully-fledged class in DS9.

From the description in the C-Store:
    Designed by the crew of the U.S.S. Voyager during their sojourn in the Delta Quadrant, the Delta Flyer is slightly larger than a normal shuttle craft and equipped to handle hazardous situations or extended missions away from a starship.

So yeah - it's the real deal, alright. Therefore, variable-geometry nacelles would be an appropriate (and very cool!) addition.
    edited March 2011
    The MVAM Prometheus ideally needs to have the registry (and possibly the name of the ship) on the secondary and tertiary hulls, as shown in this screen shot (far-right):

http://i.imgur.com/eE2h2.png

She also needs to have windows on the dorsal surface of the secondary hull, as shown in that same image.

Apart from these minor inaccuracies, the MVAM is awesome! :)
    edited March 2011
    MarcW wrote:
    The MVAM Prometheus ideally needs to have the registry (and possibly the name of the ship) on the secondary and tertiary hulls, as shown in this screen shot (far-right):

http://i.imgur.com/eE2h2.png

She also needs to have windows on the dorsal surface of the secondary hull, as shown in that same image.

Apart from these minor inaccuracies, the MVAM is awesome! :)

Added, thank you.

Also, please keep the updates coming as to what's been fixed but still on the list.
    edited March 2011
    I now have a K't'inga (t3) Battle Cruiser. I suggest breaking down the suggestions by Template. If it hasn't been observed, we can't swap any component between the three templates. Why is this Tier starship any different from the others?

D7 Template
    Confirm that impulse engine placement needs polish. Per the remastered TOS. As the original TOS never displayed any at all.
    • Add: Struts need outer exhaust vents.
    • Add: Fleet Logo should be moved from the center portion of the engineering hull to the outer portion.
    • Add: move the beam hardpoints from the front of the struts and place them on the end of the nacelles themselves.
    • Add: Aft torpedo tube to mirror the one from the bow. Yet another detail never depicted in the TV show. But would make the in-game model more complete if the slot exists for it.
    K't'inga Template
    I actually did my best to interpret the Kronos One (ST: VI) model as seen on page 3/4 of the ST-bilder site already linked on the front page. I'm currently using Type 3 Material, Gemini advanced pattern, two shades of red. Which is pretty darned close. But, IMO, would work together better if the raised armor-plating was re-visited to look closer to the model.

I want to confirm the bugs already on the front page. However, to my eye the impulse engine placement on the K't'inga Template looks alright. The beam strips on the belly of the engineering section are just barely noticeable as unattached when viewed up close from the aft. Otherwise I couldn't tell it was a problem. As far as beam strips go, I'm not bothered by them on the template. While never canon to the model, I didn't find them distracting.

Confirm that K't'inga Template does look silly firing aft torpedoes from either the top-rear hardpoint or the bottom-rear hardpoint. It really needs the art for an aft torpedo tube. Some model pics display the aft tube with a bulbous hatch cover over it. I can fore go this. Mirror the illuminated tube from the bow. So that the torpedo fires from just beyond the aft. Just as the forward fires from just beyond the bow.

Confirm that lighting customization don't appear. I tried each and every material configuration for K't'inga. However, neither the red intake up top the engineering hull nor the green from inside the nacelles make an appearance. I had hoped this was just in the customization screen. But the illumination never appears in space at all. Yet the NPC version is fine - until you get close to it.
    • Add: Struts need outer vent details. Which should be maintained regardless of customized pattern.
    • Add: Fleet Emblem needs to be moved from the top engineering hull to the struts forward these vents. Per the movie model.
    • Add: The game calls the forward section of any KDF starship a Saucer. Which is wrong. Suggest renaming it Command Boom? At the rear-starboard end of this Command Boom (saucer) displays a horrible distortion which pokes up to a point. Right where the boom connects to the Hull section. Whereas the port side looks normal. If I get my screenshots hosted, I will edit to include the links.

K't'inga Refit Template
    It's a variant original to STO. It's merely a suggestion to polish the aft. Add an aft torpedo tube to this one, too. However, it's deserving of an original name. All other STO variants have them. From the hip I'll suggest Kor-class. I don't think it's been used yet?
    edited March 2011
    I now have a K't'inga (t3) Battle Cruiser. I suggest breaking down the suggestions by Template. If it hasn't been observed, we can't swap any component between the three templates. Why is this Tier starship any different from the others?

D7 Template
    Confirm that impulse engine placement needs polish. Per the remastered TOS. As the original TOS never displayed any at all.
    • Add: Struts need outer exhaust vents.
    • Add: Fleet Logo should be moved from the center portion of the engineering hull to the outer portion.
    • Add: move the beam hardpoints from the front of the struts and place them on the end of the nacelles themselves.
    • Add: Aft torpedo tube to mirror the one from the bow. Yet another detail never depicted in the TV show. But would make the in-game model more complete if the slot exists for it.
    K't'inga Template
    I actually did my best to interpret the Kronos One (ST: VI) model as seen on page 3/4 of the ST-bilder site already linked on the front page. I'm currently using Type 3 Material, Gemini advanced pattern, two shades of red. Which is pretty darned close. But, IMO, would work together better if the raised armor-plating was re-visited to look closer to the model.

I want to confirm the bugs already on the front page. However, to my eye the impulse engine placement on the K't'inga Template looks alright. The beam strips on the belly of the engineering section are just barely noticeable as unattached when viewed up close from the aft. Otherwise I couldn't tell it was a problem. As far as beam strips go, I'm not bothered by them on the template. While never canon to the model, I didn't find them distracting.

Confirm that K't'inga Template does look silly firing aft torpedoes from either the top-rear hardpoint or the bottom-rear hardpoint. It really needs the art for an aft torpedo tube. Some model pics display the aft tube with a bulbous hatch cover over it. I can fore go this. Mirror the illuminated tube from the bow. So that the torpedo fires from just beyond the aft. Just as the forward fires from just beyond the bow.

Confirm that lighting customization don't appear. I tried each and every material configuration for K't'inga. However, neither the red intake up top the engineering hull nor the green from inside the nacelles make an appearance. I had hoped this was just in the customization screen. But the illumination never appears in space at all. Yet the NPC version is fine - until you get close to it.
    • Add: Struts need outer vent details. Which should be maintained regardless of customized pattern.
    • Add: Fleet Emblem needs to be moved from the top engineering hull to the struts forward these vents. Per the movie model.
    • Add: The game calls the forward section of any KDF starship a Saucer. Which is wrong. Suggest renaming it Command Boom? At the rear-starboard end of this Command Boom (saucer) displays a horrible distortion which pokes up to a point. Right where the boom connects to the Hull section. Whereas the port side looks normal. If I get my screenshots hosted, I will edit to include the links.

K't'inga Refit Template
    It's a variant original to STO. It's merely a suggestion to polish the aft. Add an aft torpedo tube to this one, too. However, it's deserving of an original name. All other STO variants have them. From the hip I'll suggest Kor-class. I don't think it's been used yet?

Edited and added. The bridge module suggestion was added to the beginning of the Klingon section.
    edited March 2011
    AngelSilhouette, Thanks for maintaining the OP as you have. I tossed a few pics into my previous post. If any are helpful feel free to link them up front. ;)
    edited March 2011
    while not technically a ship, but the doomsday device is included.

The Crystaline Entity looks nothing like the one in the episodes:
    Mem-A 1
    Mem-A 2

In game (from a google search)

peter
    edited March 2011
    PerRock wrote: »
    while not technically a ship, but the doomsday device is included.

The Crystaline Entity looks nothing like the one in the episodes:
    Mem-A 1
    Mem-A 2

In game (from a google search)

peter

Except the Doomsday machines and Crystaline entities of STO are not the "same" as the ones in Trek, so its really not an error.
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys,

I've been doing a little digging and I've spotted quite a major problem with the Prometheus (MVAM-capable). She's missing the impulse engines on her Beta and Gamma (2nd and 3rd) hulls. Here are some images that show this.

Image 1: This is a screen capture from the episode of Voyager "Message In A Bottle" (the Prometheus one). I've pointed out the missing engine grills. Note that the glowing white engines at the edges of the saucer must be the saucer impulse engines (as you'll see in Image 3), but for some reason the graphic artists decided to make them blue/white. I think they should remain as they are in-game (red).
    http://i.imgur.com/vpoN1.jpg

Image 2: This image shows profile views of the starship when she is not separated. I've pointed out the three sets of impulse engines as they would appear in this configuration. I would suggest that only the saucer engines are operational when the ship is fully assembled.
    http://i.imgur.com/9VSds.jpg

Image 3: This image shows the saucer section (Alpha) only. As you can see, the blue/white parts must be the impulse engines, but they were in this strange colour in Voyager for some unknown reason. I've seen some unofficial blueprints that purport these to be warp engines, which is incorrect.
    http://i.imgur.com/AiFfd.jpg

Image 4: Beta (secondary) hull, also with labelled impulse engines. In-game, this section appears to have invisible impulse engines at the base of the nacelle pylons - clearly incorrect, as they should be where they are shown in this image. I've also pointed out where the ship's name and registry are shown on this hull (also missing from game).
    http://i.imgur.com/EsPAL.jpg

Image 5: Gamma (tertiary) hull, also with correct impulse engine location pointed out. Like the Beta hull, in-game there are invisible impulse engines at the nacelle pylon bases, which is incorrect.
    http://i.imgur.com/JOF6i.jpg
    edited March 2011
    As Voyager's, the Akira Class' and the two Defiant Class' impulse engines in Message in a Bottle were all appropriately coloured, we must assume that the blue/white colouration of the Prometheus' impulse engines was wholly intentional. I am curious now, though, as to whether anyone can find images from Message in a Bottle that show the Beta and Gamma sections' impulse engines illuminated after separation.
    edited March 2011
    When I have the time, I'll go through the episode and see if I can spot those engines illuminated. They could, however, be like the Nebula impulse engines and not show any visible illumination. I'd also love an explanation for the white engines on the saucer, though.
    edited March 2011
    MarcW wrote:
    When I have the time, I'll go through the episode and see if I can spot those engines illuminated. They could, however, be like the Nebula impulse engines and not show any visible illumination. I'd also love an explanation for the white engines on the saucer, though.

As the latest ship in Starfleet's roster, it could be the newest look for impulse exhausts. Alternatively, it could be unique, like the Nebula's "Stealth impulse exhausts".
    edited March 2011
    As the latest ship in Starfleet's roster, it could be the newest look for impulse exhausts. Alternatively, it could be unique, like the Nebula's "Stealth impulse exhausts".

Actually, going by orthos of the CGI model and higher-rez screencaps, the impulse engine glow turns out to be cyan.

Side view from the 'Star Trek Fact Files'
    edited March 2011
    Actually, going by orthos of the CGI model and higher-rez screencaps, the impulse engine glow turns out to be cyan.

Side view from the 'Star Trek Fact Files'

I notice that all of the windows in that picture are cyan, as well. Perhaps the colour balance in that image has been compromised.
    edited March 2011
    I notice that all of the windows in that picture are cyan, as well. Perhaps the colour balance in that image has been compromised.

Nope - it appears they're cyan in the screenshots as well. As for the impulse engines, they're mostly cyan, although occasionally the glare is white-ish (that's presumably a colour balance issue).

Alpha section - cyan impulse engines

Cyan windows, white-ish-cyan impulse engines

Re-joined - all cyan

Same again in close-up

Interestingly enough, they're red on the Alpha section at one point, allthough that's easily accomplished by using 'evasive manoevers'.

Alpha section - red impulse engines

[EDIT] Yep - definately cyan windows/impulse engines (ignore the windows, obviously):

Screencap from 'Endgame'
    edited March 2011
    Nope - it appears they're cyan in the screenshots as well. As for the impulse engines, they're mostly cyan, although occasionally the glare is white-ish (that's presumably a colour balance issue).

Alpha section - cyan impulse engines

Cyan windows, white-ish-cyan impulse engines

Re-joined - all cyan

Same again in close-up

Interestingly enough, they're red on the Alpha section at one point, allthough that's easily accomplished by using 'evasive manoevers'.

Alpha section - red impulse engines

[EDIT] Yep - definately cyan windows/impulse engines (ignore the windows, obviously):

Screencap from 'Endgame'

I'll change "Blueish-white" to "cyan" in the Prometheus section.

=edit=

Watching the video for the MVAM, though, it is clear that the Beta and Gamma sections to not have any illuminated impulse vents.
    edited March 2011
    Please see the attached files for the correct look for the Constellation class Heavy cruisers

edited March 2011
    Here are some schematics for Ptomley class tugs and Saladin class Destroyers/scouts

Ptomley Class Tug
    http://http://www.trekmania.net/art/PtolemyClass1.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Starships/COPERNICUS_001.jpg

Saladin Class Destroyer/scout

http://www.trekmania.net/art/SaladinClass1.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Star%20Trek%20Starship%20Saladin/Saladin_REVISED_FONT_005.jpg

Saladin Modernized

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/9/8780/AloViewer_2010-08-11_08-44-44-56.jpg

These are just some ideas for new teir 1 starships. They were around the same time as the original Enterprise and later moderized to the Enterprise-A look as well as the Miranda class look.
    edited March 2011
    The Constellation class is not even in the game, and why are you posting those images? They have no relevance to this thread at all.
    edited March 2011
    My apollogies at meant it should be added not a as correct look. I just didn't want people to say it was the same as the stargazzer or chyenne.
    edited April 2011
    I just got to the point, where i can fly the olympic(+variants). Cryptic let me just give you this as feedback: Your designs are horrible and im very sad.

The olympic has nothing to do with the original model at all.

Nothing. Zero. Nada. Null.

With this state the work is in on some or most of the ships, honestly you never should have gotten any licence approval at all.

Still i like this game, but some of that pushes it abit far over the edge imo.

Asymetrical nacelles on something iconic as the constitution?

Very sorry to say, you want so much money on the C-Shop aswell.

The interprit also has its flaws and now im with my science guy like super meh.

I hope the money spent here, will be put to good use.

Goodbye.

PS: That also goes for textures.
    edited April 2011
    Jonas801 wrote:
    I just got to the point, where i can fly the olympic(+variants). Cryptic let me just give you this as feedback: Your designs are horrible and im very sad.

The olympic has nothing to do with the original model at all.

Nothing. Zero. Nada. Null.

With this state the work is in on some or most of the ships, honestly you never should have gotten any licence approval at all.

Still i like this game, but some of that pushes it abit far over the edge imo.

Asymetrical nacelles on something iconic as the constitution?

Very sorry to say, you want so much money on the C-Shop aswell.

The interprit also has its flaws and now im with my science guy like super meh.

I hope the money spent here, will be put to good use.

Goodbye.

PS: That also goes for textures.

Thanks for the drive-by thread bump. But the spirit of the thread was a tad more specific - and constructive - offering of suggestions.
    edited April 2011
    He's right though. The constitution's nacelles are crooked.
    edited April 2011
    Ok sorry, i will take back the "horrible" and call it medicore with a smile. :)

But i will never like, nor approve in any way shape of form of the texture work, where everything overlaps, when you zoom in and window locations make no sense at all.

In explonation: Windows overlapping with the bumpery of the normal map (it is not smooth) and even some of the larger scale textures in itself making no sense, where they are located on the hull.

Sorry if i have not found anymore specific errors to fix or brought any pictures with me.
    This is a good thread, i fully approve of it and i hope it will be kept to stay alive.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.