test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My character is STILL bugged!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited December 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
As I originally reported over two weeks ago here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2517184#post2517184 I still cannot choose which BOs to bring with me in the "Choose Your Away Team Window"

Here's screenshots in case there's any misunderstanding.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8825/soloawayteam.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9185/teamedawayteam.jpg

No the workaround didn't work. Yes my character is STILL bugged. And I'd appreciate it if someone at Cryptic would actually help me instead of just ignoring the problem and hoping that I'll go away.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    As I originally reported over two weeks ago here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2517184#post2517184 I still cannot choose which BOs to bring with me in the "Choose Your Away Team Window"

Here's screenshots in case there's any misunderstanding.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8825/soloawayteam.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/9185/teamedawayteam.jpg

No the workaround didn't work. Yes my character is STILL bugged. And I'd appreciate it if someone at Cryptic would actually help me instead of just ignoring the problem and hoping that I'll go away.

i feel where ur coming from, my character i had 3 months ago was a rear admiral 5 and i had all purple items,but then the season 1 update came around and my character became inaccessible because the patch hadnt done its job,instead it sent me locked files which couldnt be read/opened and therefor my character had to be deleted due to it stopping my gameplay.

i reported this and have made 2 posts on the forums but support just ignore the big problems and hoping they will solve themselves,but in this case it isnt going to and i indeed think that cryptic should re-think the way they work and try to fix the big problems first before moving onto the petty things that can be fixed whenever.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Back on April 17th I submitted a bug report on this issue. It's #823965.

It'd sure be nice if I could get some help on this.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Still, I bet your bug gets fixed long before mine does - I am never offered Aid the Planet missions. Haven't done one since 2/8, and bugged it 8 days ago.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wow...mine has been in the works as well and i have yet to hear any results either.

mine was reported before yours....on a sad note - nice to see someone else with the same issue.

here is my thread.... http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=136315
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am having exactly the same problem and it is nice to know I am not alone.

I placed a bug request on the 2nd March 2010 (ticket #719622) and I have not heard anything apart from the standard someone is looking into the problem.

It is really annoying, when playing as a single player and you want to select or change your away team member.

When playing in teams it is even more annoying as you have to make sure you have an away team member you want to use is already selected.
    Thankfully I play with a very understanding friend, but this has stopped me from playing with people who I don’t know.

The annoying thing is that this problem seems to be affecting such a small number of people and I have a feeling it won’t get fixed in a hurry.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So the phone number has been removed from the billing/account support page. Tickets and PMs are never responded too.

It is my belief that most, if not all, of the Cryptic support staff has been layed off. Possibly in preparation for the entire company folding.

And my character is still bugged.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hello all! :)

I just thought I'd mention that my character is still bugged.

And Cryptic still won't even respond.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Boy, it'd sure be nice if this game had some sort of support staff...

...you know, like every other MMO in existence.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Status Change!

I just happened to run into DScotty in the testing channel yesterday. He knew absolutely nothing about this bug (so THAT'S what happens to our bug reports, nothing!). But he was very helpful. He asked me to email him all the info that I had, ticket#, links to the screenshots, etc.

I don't expect it to get fixed overnight, but it sure is nice that they at least know about it now.

Man, it'd sure be nice if real humans actually looked at the bug reports that we send in.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man, it'd sure be nice if real humans actually looked at the bug reports that we send in.

It occurs to me that this very thing might be your problem. I submit bug reports often there is a choice there between if you need a feedback from gm or if you are submitting a bug report. The thing is if you submit a bug report a gm response isnt needed according to what you chose when you submitted the ticket so no their support department wouldn't receive that ticket it would go to the people who fix the bugs via patches and given a priority.

Next time submit a gm response ticket and you should get someone last time i did that was two weeks ago and the responded the next day and took care of my problem in game.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I certainly can't make any promises on this, but I've passed your issue on to our bug reporting team.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay, so I've been running this one down, and I have been unable to reproduce it.

So, we're going to move this one on up and start with some troubleshooting Q & A:

1) What is your BOff setup? (IE Class, rank, powers, species)
    2) Where did you aquire your BOffs? (Mission reward, purchased, Bridge Officer requisition)
    3) How many BOffs do you have total?
    4) Are you able to change your away team on the Away Team UI? (Bottom of the Assignments tab on the Status UI)
    5) I know it's been a while (and I am sorry about that), but do you remember which mission you started seeing this problem on?
    6) For that matter, approximately what time (date) did you start seeing this? (So I can run down whether or not it's a server issue)

I think that will help me nail this thing down, but if you think you have any other additional information you think may (or even may not) be pertinent, please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    First of all I'd like to say thank you both for responding.

Secondly, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but there's got to be a better way to contact you guys to get some help in the future. I've submitted a bug report, sent multiple forum PMs (which were not responded to), created two seperate threads about this subject, and I still couldn't get a response from Cryptic. There is no way to contact tech support directly, no email or phone number. A GM did respond to my other thread, but apparently when his quick fix didn't work he didn't think to bring the problem to anyone else's attention.

If I hadn't just happened to encounter DScotty in the test server channel the other day this problem would still be sitting here unresolved. With all due respect gentlemen, that's pretty ridiculous.

DScotty wrote:
    Okay, so I've been running this one down, and I have been unable to reproduce it.
    Several other people have posted in this, and in my previous thread, that they experienced the same problem. I'm going to send them PMs letting them know to come post in this thread. Perhaps if you get info from all of us it will help you to track down the problem.
    DScotty wrote:
    So, we're going to move this one on up and start with some troubleshooting Q & A:

2) Where did you aquire your BOffs? (Mission reward, purchased, Bridge Officer requisition)
    Female Liberated Borg Engineer (from the C-Store) Mine Barrier 1, Shield Gen 1, Phaser Turret 2, Support Drone 1, Emer Pwr Shield 1, Rev Shield Pol 1, Rev Shield Pol 2, Aceton Field 3
    Female Vulcan Tactical (from the tutorial) Focus Fire 1, Target Optics 1, Overwatch 1, Motion Accel 1, Torp: HY 1, Beam Fire at Will 2, Atk Pat Beta 2, Atk Pat Omega 3
    Male Andorian Tactical (mission reward) Focus Fire 1, Target Optics 1, Overwatch 1, Motion Accel 1, Tac Team 1, Target Shields 2, Canon Rapid 2, Atk Pat Delta 3
    Female Betazoid Science (mission reward) Med Tri 1, Tricorder Scan 1, Neural Neut 1, Nanite Health 1, Haz Emit 1, Sci Team 2, Enrgy Siphon 2, Viral Matrix 3
    Female Trill Science (purchased from Elsa Mora in Earth Spacedock) Tach Harmonic 1, Statis Field 1, Neural Neut 1, Damp Field 1, Polarize Hull 1, Science Team 2, Photonic Shock 1, Grav Well 2
    Female Alien Engineer (purchased from Elsa Mora in Earth Spacedock) Shield Rech 1, Phaser Turret 1, Med Gen 1, Cover Shield 2, Emer Pwr Wep 1, Engin Team 2, Extend Shields 2, Eject Warp Plasma 2
    Female Alien Science (purchased from Elsa Mora in Earth Spacedock) Grav Shift 1, Sonic Pulse 1, Hyp Rad 1, Damp Field 1, Sci Team 1, Feedback Pulse 1, Photonic Shock 1, Grav Well 2
    Female Alien Science (purchased from Elsa Mora in Earth Spacedock) Tach Harm 1, Statis Field 1, Neural Neut 1, Damp Field 1, Polarize Hull 1, Science Team 2, Photonic Shock 1, Grav Well 2

All of my BOs are white, none are blue or purple.
    DScotty wrote:
    DScotty wrote:
    4) Are you able to change your away team on the Away Team UI? (Bottom of the Assignments tab on the Status UI)
    Yes, but it does not affect their order in the "Choose Your Away Team" window.
    DScotty wrote:
    5) I know it's been a while (and I am sorry about that), but do you remember which mission you started seeing this problem on?
    This has been happening since day one. You can tell Bill he owes you $5 because I said that ;) .
    DScotty wrote:
    6) For that matter, approximately what time (date) did you start seeing this? (So I can run down whether or not it's a server issue)
    I first noticed it while my character was still in his Miranda class cruiser, this would have been back in February.
    DScotty wrote:
    I think that will help me nail this thing down, but if you think you have any other additional information you think may (or even may not) be pertinent, please let me know.
    My character is a Human RA5, and is my first STO character. Also, I haven't received any of the "Aid the Planet" missions since he was a LCdr. Is it possible that these two bugs might be related?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    First of all I'd like to say thank you both for responding.

Secondly, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but there's got to be a better way to contact you guys to get some help in the future. I've submitted a bug report, sent multiple forum PMs (which were not responded to), created two seperate threads about this subject, and I still couldn't get a response from Cryptic. There is no way to contact tech support directly, no email or phone number. A GM did respond to my other thread, but apparently when his quick fix didn't work he didn't think to bring the problem to anyone else's attention.

Sounds like you did everything EXCEPT create a ticket. There is absolutely a way to contact tech support directly; create a ticket.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    syberghost wrote: »
    Sounds like you did everything EXCEPT create a ticket. There is absolutely a way to contact tech support directly; create a ticket.
    Ticket is what I meant when I said "Bug Report."

Also, if you actually read the thread you'd have seen the ticket number in one of my posts.

As I said, they don't respond to tickets.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

My character is a Joined Trill, rank Captain (special unlock).
    I also have a Borg bridge officer, rank Commander (special unlock) plus the normal pick up characters.

The problem occurred during the first two bridge officer pickups. A Vulcan from training mission and the Borg Officer,

8 bridge officers but problem occurred from the first two.

Yes

I have noticed when I first played this character back when I was an ensign but did not report until March 2010 (Lt Commander) as a bug as I was comparing my screen against a friends.

Cannot advise.

Feel free to copy the Dean James Ashington character if this will help you. He currently does not exist on Tribble.

The problem does not reoccur on any of my new characters.

If you require any more information, please PM me.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I sent in a ticket 69 days ago about exactly this problem and it has not been answered with any further information as well. I got a response back through the ticketing system saying they were filing a bug report, but nothing else. I have posted my problem on a forum where a moderator stated they were taking notes of in game issues. To no avail, I still don't have my problem solved. The problem started occurring right after there were a series of patches around the time I created my original ticket. Ironically, it is on all my characters that it happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank you for posting Zaharia. Please post your information in response to DScotty's questions (above). They need that information to track down and fix the bug that we're all experiencing.

The bug which many of us have been experiencing for months, but which Cryptic didn't even know about because no human being ever reads the bug reports we send in. But, I digress...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is all very nice to see. I'd like to share my experience with this bug.

Shortly after launch, I created the character Angel Silhouette. Some time in February, there was a patch and when I logged in afterwards, I found I was stuck in some sort of team mode. There were two parts to this bug: First was the confirmation dialogue when trying to beam to a friendly space station (This was fixed a few patches later). Second was the fact that I was no longer able to select my bridge officers when beaming down. I wasn't bothered too much by the bridge officer thing, but it was rather annoying to know that my character was bugged. After a while of being annoyed with the constant confirmation dialogue to beam down with the team when I was solo, I submitted a GM request to perhaps take me out of the team mode I seemed to be stuck in.

Several days later, on March 5th, (Oh how I miss Anarchy Online. GM responses were measured in minutes, not days back then.) I received a response from a GM. Not an automated response, an actual flesh and blood response. The GM said that they didn't know how to fix it and that I should have submitted a bug report, instead. However, they were nice enough to resubmit my ticket as a bug report.

March 5th.

Then on April 6th, I saw a similar report in the forums (http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2517184#post2517184) where GM Litana offered a work around and asked for details (and subsequently never returned to acknowledge the responses). I posted that I had the same problem then a follow up regarding Litana's suggested fix.

April 6th.

Now I got a little PM (Thank you Peregrine) saying that the Devs had never heard of this. A bug that was acknowledged by at least 2 GMs in March and early April, and now in May, the Devs have never heard of it.

I'm really hoping that there is some sort of bug fix team that acts as a buffer for the Devs to allow them to work on.. I dunno.. Nerfing the zoom in the ship editor. I hope this because it keeps me from feeling like my lifetime subscription was not wasted on a game whose devs are unconcerned with QOL and customer service.

I try to be positive, but when I read about things like this, I feel very disappointed. Very very disappointed.

Moving on. I will answer DScotty's questions:

1) What is your BO setup? (IE Class, rank, powers, species)

• It has changed several times throughout my character's career. This has been going on from Lieutenant to Admiral. Perhaps that will help narrow it down for you. I chose the Andorian Tactical officer in the tutorial, and chose the Trill and Betazed Science officer mission rewards. Those were my only three bridge officers when it started. I had not promoted them or bought them new powers.

• See my previous answer.

• I started with the three, as mentioned before, now I have nine.

• On the screen where I can assign officers to stations and away team assignments, yes.

• No. It's been since February. I can't even be sure if the first time I saw it was for a set mission or a star cluster mission. It started after one of the patches in February.

• Some time in February.

That's all the help I can offer. However, if you decide to start poking around on my character to see history of who what when where, please do back him up first in case you do something irreparable to him. If, for some reason, I find I can no longer log in to him, he is deleted, or corrupted and has to be deleted in order to log in at all, I will hold Cryptic fully responsible and expect him to be restored exactly as he was when he had to be deleted.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This problem has been very annoying especially when you are in a group. I originally thought the root of the problem was because I had renamed the characters with personalized names. However, I know someone else who has done this and they do not have this problem. I have this problem on two characters so far. I have not gone anywhere on my third character yet.....

Here is the answers to the question for my main character that I play the most:

1) What is your BO setup? (IE Class, rank, powers, species)

I have 3 Lt. Commanders and 2 ensigns at the moment. I have 2 science officers, 2 tactical officers, and one engineer. I have a Bajoran, Trill, Human, Klingon, and Andorian species.

I do not recall when or where I acquired my Bridge Officers as I have been playing these characters since launch day.

I started out with five and now I have six. I have not commissioned any further officers since I am unable to interchange them out.

Yes, I am only able to change them out under the Assignments Tab in the Standard Away Team section. However, when I go on an away team mission and the CHOOSE YOUR AWAY TEAM menu arrives, I cannot change them at all. The names of the officers are greyed out. There is no drop down menu available. When I am joined in a team, it is random who is chosen to go on the away mission.

Originally, on pre-launch day, I was able to interchange them out. Then, came a series of patches in the following week, and the ability was gone.

Some time in February. I opened the ticket 69 days ago. So, it would be around then.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have the same Issue on one of my twinks.

Like everybody else here i can chose the away team under "assignments" but can't change when I beam down.

i have 5 bos, 1 Alien Engenier, 1 Trill Tactical, 1 Klingon tactical, 1 Trill science and the Borg-BO.

I have no idea when that startet i recognized that after i HAD enough to do any change.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank you, everybody, for taking the time to post your answers to my questions. I suspect (though I cannot confirm) that this issue no longer "exists" on Holodeck, meaning that it won't happen to any news players. Though, if anyone knows of a recent occurrance of this bug, please let me know!

So, now that I am equipped with plenty of information, I will start running this issue down. (torch and pitchfork in hand, of course.) As usual, I don't really know how long it will take to get this problem handled (it depends on how complex the issue is under the hood.), but I am on the case and will try to get it fixed promptly as possible.

Thanks for your time and patience, guys! Y'all rock.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank goodness for the Dev tweet follower! I never would have seen this thread! I have this exact problem with ONE of my toons. It just so happens to be the same toon I copied over to Tribble. Now on Holodeck - I can't choose the away team and it's driving me crazy. I have put in a ticket but received the format response. Glad you're looking into it Scotty and if I can provide you with ANY info that might help you locate the cause - PM me!

Boy I hope this gets figured out soon. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DScotty, I'm just happy that I was finally able to get this information to you so that you could actually start the process of searching for this bug.

As you've seen, this problem has been around for months now. We've reported it, we've started threads about it, we've sent PMs about it, and you're just now (60+ days later) finding out about this. I do appreciate that you'll be working on this, but in the future when other bugs happen, especially bugs that adversely affect basic game functionality, there has to be a way to actually bring it to your attention.

So lacking any suggestions on this matter from Cryptic employees, I'll be PMing info on major bugs like this one, directly to both dstahl and DScotty from now on. I suggest that others do the same.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    While after months of the "You can't select you away member bug", and now Cryptic are suddenly aware of this, are they aware of the "Suddenly none of your key binds do not work bug" also?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jaesun wrote:
    While after months of the "You can't select you away member bug", and now Cryptic are suddenly aware of this, are they aware of the "Suddenly none of your key binds do not work bug" also?
    Unfortunately I have no idea.

However, that seems like a major bug to me. I'd recommend PMing dstahl and DScotty about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DScotty wrote:
    Thank you, everybody, for taking the time to post your answers to my questions. I suspect (though I cannot confirm) that this issue no longer "exists" on Holodeck, meaning that it won't happen to any news players. Though, if anyone knows of a recent occurrance of this bug, please let me know!

So, now that I am equipped with plenty of information, I will start running this issue down. (torch and pitchfork in hand, of course.) As usual, I don't really know how long it will take to get this problem handled (it depends on how complex the issue is under the hood.), but I am on the case and will try to get it fixed promptly as possible.

Thanks for your time and patience, guys! Y'all rock.

thanks scotty.

I have not been able to get info via your request yet as time has been tight lately.
    I would like to direct you to my thread here:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=136315

dated 10 Mar 2010....

I am just hopping in and saw you had posted about this and that you would look into it. i will try to get updated info for you asap, but no guaruntees here.

thanks again.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Question for you all...

Has anyone who experienced this bug either;
    1. Dismissed their original BO from the tutorial and replaced it with a new one purchased from the exchange immediately after completing the tutorial?
    2. Purchased other BOs via the Exchange?

Reason I ask...

I now have the bug reported in this thread where I'm unable to change my Away Team from the "Choose Away Team" box that comes up before beaming to a planet. The away team selection from the assignments tab still works properly. This is on a brand new character I just rolled last night.

Some strange things I noticed before experiencing the Away Team bug;

I had purchased 4 BOs from my other character (3 from Personnel and 1 from the exchange - all were common BOs). When I went to mail them to my alt, I could not access the mail, bank, exchange or any vendor at Sol. There would be no prompt to interact with them. This part was 100% repeatable for me as well. I tried it a few times and any time I purchased a BO from the Exchange, I could no longer interact with anything. I had to log out, then back in in order to send the BOs via the mail. Again this "lockout" was 100% repeatable.

My alt was able to commission/customize/train the BOs received just fine. I hadn't noticed the Away Team thing until doing the mission to beam aboard the S.S. Azuria.

I tried this same procedure twice, with the same overall result. I'm not sure if this is related, but it is producing the same end result.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Question for you all...

1. Dismissed their original BO from the tutorial and replaced it with a new one purchased from the exchange immediately after completing the tutorial?

Reason I ask...

I now have the bug reported in this thread where I'm unable to change my Away Team from the "Choose Away Team" box that comes up before beaming to a planet. The away team selection from the assignments tab still works properly. This is on a brand new character I just rolled last night.

Some strange things I noticed before experiencing the Away Team bug;

I had purchased 4 BOs from my other character (3 from Personnel and 1 from the exchange - all were common BOs). When I went to mail them to my alt, I could not access the mail, bank, exchange or any vendor at Sol. There would be no prompt to interact with them. This part was 100% repeatable for me as well. I tried it a few times and any time I purchased a BO from the Exchange, I could no longer interact with anything. I had to log out, then back in in order to send the BOs via the mail. Again this "lockout" was 100% repeatable.

My alt was able to commission/customize/train the BOs received just fine. I hadn't noticed the Away Team thing until doing the mission to beam aboard the S.S. Azuria.

I tried this same procedure twice, with the same overall result. I'm not sure if this is related, but it is producing the same end result.

Not for me. I haven't purchased any Boffs - all of the ones that I have on the affected character have all been rewards. Since the bug started I have also been rewarded with another Boff who I had join the crew but still cannot select it as an way team member. I'm stuck with my original four and the "Choose away team" is still greyed out and cannot be changed.

Most perplexing.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've never purchased a BO from the exchange, any BO worth having is stupidly overpriced.

I have had the problem with not being able to commission BOs that I purchased from Elsa Mora in Earth Spacedock, but changing instances fixes that. My away team bug predates that problem by quite a bit though.