test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RE: Atari Sale

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Great_Milenko is a well known troll - the ignore feature is your friend ;)

Yes, cause disagreement is trolling.
    I wonder if he can see any non Cryptic/atari butt kisser
    Or if its a only Cryptic approved thing?

Dunno, if I was such a huge troll, youd think Id have more than 3 points
    edited March 2010
    Jayrune wrote:
    Sorry if this was already posted but this thread has increased a hundred pages since i last read through it,

Anyone who was worried that this issue would not be seen by the outside world can now rest easy knowing we've all been noticed

:rolleyes:

see, I dont get the burning atari logo but not the perspective lol
    edited March 2010
    Teelow wrote: »
    And you are one of the biggest fanbois....your point?

I believe it was "ignore is your friend" too
    edited March 2010
    CobraA1 wrote: »
    New servers cost money. New content costs money. Hiring a new marketing person is gonna cost money.

Not sure what part of that people don't understand. Complain about it being a business and all - but fixing things costs money. Not sure what part of that is so difficult.

see, THIS guy doesnt WANT to see anything wrong. Its funny, they go on and on about how I keep saying the same thing over and over but thats cause they CHOOSE to not pay attention to what I say instead of responding to it lol
    edited March 2010
    Roach wrote: »
    I am happy and not going anywhere.:D

Im NOT happy and not going anywhere. I paid for this game and yeah... we know how THAT went lol
    edited March 2010
    No I understand completely. Maybe they should have thought of that before releasing it when they did.

I actually buy the "they couldnt push it back more" argument but not because of some contract agreement we (I) have yet to see, but because of the lawsuits and debt and the bonuses and stuff.
    edited March 2010
    archie-d wrote: »
    ^this.

and also, i could give two figs about the game getting cheaper, i expect that, it happens. what ****ed me off about this was the doubling of the time for free trial for the hell of it before the pre-order and release day purchasers 30 days are even up. seriously, what good does that do anyone?
    what are they hoping to achieve?

if this sways people who havent got on board yet to try it out, is 60 days worth of playtime going to make them decide to sub? after we've had legitimate gripes about people having got to the current top rank within their 30 days and have nothing to do. this is just going to make another batch of game purchase that do not convert to subscriptions.

i want to enjoy this game, and you know what? i am enjoying playing it for now. but all these other things keep cropping up and leave a sour taste in the mouth. theyve got me for my free month, and as things stand one more, but after that something seriously awesomes going to have to happen to get me to stay.

Well the REALLY stupid thing about the promotion is that there ISNT 90 days worth of content in this game. Nowhere NEAR. So whats gonna happen when THOSE ppl get to max lvl and have nothing to do just like all the ppl in the game now?
    edited March 2010
    ...and they say they're gonna release more patches.

Whens it coming out?

Soon(tm)

Some of us cant be sustained solely on ther promises
    edited March 2010
    I love how the "fanbois" all think it is all about money.

WELL IT ISN'T
    edited March 2010
    You didn't spend any time to ascertain the real point of this thread, so you make an excuse to share your unrelated opinions and criticize others? Lovely. Well, we can say the same about your post: Too long, didn't read.

lol yer avatar kinda looks like a Cardassian the Rock
    edited March 2010
    If Atari and Cryptic can afford to be so generous and give the service away for free to new people for a couple months, then it should surely be able to give the service away for free to those with a vested interest already

Sounds good to the ear, but they probably did actually work in a budget.
    (think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush here)

Well, I didn't think it was worthy of leaving. So some people got a bigger deal than I do. I didn't think it was unusual until people started complaining. Personally, I don't mind it so much. I paid what I paid, and I was willing to pay it.
    edited March 2010
    Fugazi wrote:
    I don't think many people are bothered by the price drop at all. Offering new players an extra 60 days free while expecting the existing playerbase to continue paying full rate is the issue here for most.

Yeah, the only ones that seem to be focusing on the price angle are the apologists
    edited March 2010
    .Spartan wrote: »
    If Atari and Cryptic can afford to be so generous and give the service away for free to new people for a couple months, then it should surely be able to give the service away for free to those with a vested interest already (think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush here).

Although I wouldn't use the term "generous", I agree with your point here.

In fact, that's one of the fundamental problems with Cryptic/Atari marketing. They just don't get it. I've been complaining about their marketing ever since closed beta. They have not improved. Quite the opposite: they've fallen deeper and deeper in depravity and downright deceit. For an MMO, you always honor the vets (loyal customers) whenever you honor new members.

In terms of STO, it started with the CO sub for guaranteed STO closed beta access. Now it's offering deals only to turn around and deny they ever existed. It happened with the 10-day buddy key (now 5 day) which few to no one cared about, as well as this 60-day offer in which a large portion of the community cares about.

Atari/Cryptic marketing is shooting themselves in the foot. As a lifetime subscriber, it p*sses me off to no end because all of the bad press and deceitfulness is going to end up hurting us all. Less subscribers and less popularity for STO = less money dumped into STO = less content/polish for us. And it all rests on Atari/Cryptic marketing's shoulders. Seriously, I hope they can the person(s) behind this and get some competent people in there. The community, the devs, the community reps, and the STO project as a whole deserve better than this.
    edited March 2010
    @Great_Milenko - please be careful; edit is your friend. Your back to back posts can be construed as spamming and earn you a vacation. I would hate to lose yet another strong advocate for the cause because of a lame thing.
    edited March 2010
    Loxanna wrote:
    They may have. They did say they where but tbh I think the new servers will probably be redundant soon.

With all the bad press and people about to leave (Free month up) I cant see the game gathering any mass amount of new players in the future, Shame as I really wanted STO to work and unlike most I didn't read or watch hardly anything on the game because I like to make my own judgements. Some of the game footage they put out was just plain misleading. See my Sig/The Truth is out there.

i'm sure their NEW mmo will love the free servers
    edited March 2010
    Whens it coming out?

Soon(tm)

Some of us cant be sustained solely on ther promises

And I'm not paying $15 a month for vaporware.
    edited March 2010
    lol yer avatar kinda looks like a Cardassian the Rock

Hahaha, not my intentions, but Cryptic has limited features/controls for Cardassian character creation. Part of the missing content we're all waiting for. ;)
    edited March 2010
    I am gonna lay this out one more time for the people who just "just don't get it"

This is about money. This about showing your customers you value them. You don't create the perception amongst your customers that you don't give a hoot about them by saying the new customers are more valuable to us then you who have been here supporting us. That is what they did when they decided to give away 60 days of free time to people who by a box 3 weeks after launch.

Sure, 6 months from now, nobody probably would have cared. However, by doing it now to move a few boxes all they did beyond creating the perception they don't care about customers is also create the perception that the game is in a death spiral of some sort.

Most of the people who are complaining are mad because they feel it is a slap in their face that Atari thinks their customers are TRIBBLE. Most of the people are tired of getting run over by game companies and forced to "take it" with no repercussions. By nature most gamers are a vocal lot and even more so when it comes to Star Trek. (Don't believe me, look at the reviews for ST:New Worlds)

We want this game to succeed or we wouldn't be mad in the first place.

As it was pointed out to me, We are also angry that it under cut the brick and mortar stores that distribute this game as well.
    edited March 2010
    .Spartan wrote: »
    @Great_Milenko - please be careful; edit is your friend. Your back to back posts can be construed as spamming and earn you a vacation. I would hate to lose yet another strong advocate for the cause because of a lame thing.

I was unsder the impression spamming was the same phrase over and over

Slackjaw got banned O.o
    edited March 2010
    And I'm not paying $15 a month for vaporware.

I don't think they're closing shop over this.
    edited March 2010
    OK now I agree wqith your first post
    because if you edit and reedit, you get buried an it seems like noone reads anything past the curent page.
    Im catching up on the thread.

Well... that tampering of my quote really was nice... Really made me laugh :)
    edited March 2010
    @Atomic - you forgot to add - undercutting their brick and mortar distributors - severely...;)
    I was unsder the impression spamming was the same phrase over and over

Slackjaw got banned O.o

Sadly that is not the only aspect of it as written. Also it just looks bad in my opinion at least. :p
    edited March 2010
    I don't think they're closing shop over this.

That's because you're a treehugger. Back away a bit, friend, I'm just one of many in a forest. You chop down enough of those trees and you don't have a forest anymore.
    edited March 2010
    nothing.....unless you count hot air as something. :)

No lie. The hot air quotient went up by a power of magnitude as soon as you posted here.

:rolleyes:
    edited March 2010
    Faenwolf wrote: »
    Well... that tampering of my quote really was nice... Really made me laugh :)

Your original did that to me too lol
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    Most of the people are tired of getting run over by game companies and forced to "take it" with no repercussions.

(...)

We want this game to succeed or we wouldn't be mad in the first place.

QFT. I want STO to succeed. Hence, I want Atari/Cryptic marketing to be accountable for this and make amends. And for the future, I don't want to see PR debacles like this. I didn't pay Atari/Cryptic to waste my money and fail at marketing.

Fans are angry because we care about STO and its community (at least I do!).
    edited March 2010
    If they don't do something to keep players in-game, by about mid-April the place will be full of Lifetime Subscriber RA5's and nobody else.
    edited March 2010
    Fans are angry because we care about STO and its community (at least I do!).

Lots of us do, but after getting the feeling that not only we are not important they seem to say that they will be better without us, well, my account expires on march 15th ><
    edited March 2010
    Veive257 wrote: »
    If they don't do something to keep players in-game, by about mid-April the place will be full of Lifetime Subscriber RA5's and nobody else.

And I get the feeling those LTSs will come here only to check the updates.

P.S. Your signature made me smile, First Contact?
    edited March 2010
    Although I wouldn't use the term "generous", I agree with your point here.

In fact, that's one of the fundamental problems with Cryptic/Atari marketing. They just don't get it. I've been complaining about their marketing ever since closed beta. They have not improved. Quite the opposite: they've fallen deeper and deeper in depravity and downright deceit. For an MMO, you always honor the vets (loyal customers) whenever you honor new members.

In terms of STO, it started with the CO sub for guaranteed STO closed beta access. Now it's offering deals only to turn around and deny they ever existed. It happened with the 10-day buddy key (now 5 day) which few to no one cared about, as well as this 60-day offer in which a large portion of the community cares about.

Atari/Cryptic marketing is shooting themselves in the foot. As a lifetime subscriber, it p*sses me off to no end because all of the bad press and deceitfulness is going to end up hurting us all. Less subscribers and less popularity for STO = less money dumped into STO = less content/polish for us. And it all rests on Atari/Cryptic marketing's shoulders. Seriously, I hope they can the person(s) behind this and get some competent people in there. The community, the devs, the community reps, and the STO project as a whole deserve better than this.

Well Said, Well Said.
This discussion has been closed.