Install Arc
Options

POLL: Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    You know...

I think Kor_Dahar_Master is just doing this to get a rise out of you guys to keep posting in this thread. The more pages here, the more DP looks like a hot topic for STO. And since the status quo is no DP, devs/reps might view this as a need to change, which is change towards more of a DP.

The side of me that wants DP is tempted to let the flames continue, but that annoying side of me based in morals is telling me to point it out and ask for us to please stop the personal attacks/insults. And when they are posted by someone else, just ignore them because responding just feeds the trolls and flame wars.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea

A lot of hate and bitterness in that buddy..:eek:

Deal with being proven wrong and move on.;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Manuwise wrote:
    No to BO permadeath, equipment destruction or other harsh penalties.

That I can agree with. This next part however...
    The "just press respawn and zerg" that we have now is not a good thing. You don't have to use tactics, it doesn't promote teaming.

I'm curious as to how anyone believes a DP is going to promote better teaming and better team tactics? I have seen players on a PUG doing patrols where we're all about to blow up, and in no way are they handing out buffs to anyone but themselves. A DP is only going to make this behaviour worse, not better. To be honest, I can't really blame those players either. If the DP that is coming includes loss of equipment/repair costs etc., why should they help anyone but themselves to avoid any kind of penalty?
    It would promote teaming with support classes, and it would annoy the player enough so death would matter. But it wouldn't be just a timesink or steal your hard-earned BO's or skills.

Going to be honest here and say a DP isn't going to annoy me one bit, and if anything is going to force me to turn off team invites permanently. I know what I'm doing and what the ship/crew is capable of on my own so I die very rarely. I don't need some other player TRIBBLE that up for me and causing me debt.

Also, DPs are nothing more than timesinks no matter how you try to spin them.

Best idea I've seen on here so far (IMO) is for the "Survival Bonus".
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A lot of hate and bitterness in that buddy..:eek:

Deal with being proven wrong and move on.;)

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You know...

I think Kor_Dahar_Master is just doing this to get a rise out of you guys to keep posting in this thread. The more pages here, the more DP looks like a hot topic for STO. And since the status quo is no DP, devs/reps might view this as a need to change, which is change towards more of a DP.

The side of me that wants DP is tempted to let the flames continue, but that annoying side of me based in morals is telling me to point it out and ask for us to please stop the personal attacks/insults. And when they are posted by someone else, just ignore them because responding just feeds the trolls and flame wars.

Kor is just going to get suspended again for all his personal insults and rude posts. Let him post all he wants.. It will just hasten the process. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and again you project your faults onto me. i do believe it was you proven wrong the second you falsely claimed a profession you have absolutely no idea about, and when you fell to personal attacks because you were proven a liar.

but thats your issue to deal with. i cant help you with your mental health, im sorry :(

get over the fact that your opinion is not superior to anyone elses. live with it that individuals can form their own opinions without being "cowards" or "TRIBBLE" as you put it so well.

and people can disprove your non factual arguements and trolling TRIBBLE without being TRIBBLE's.

seriously grow up, you are acting the spoilt child, and your every action shows it. you pretend to debate, while only picking a few nuggets from the whole field, insult anyone that disagrees with your lofty opinion, and constantly misinterpret everything written in reply to your drivel. grab a nappy, and a dummy, ask mummy for a bottle and head to bead.

An Entire post of insults and lies again OMG....:D

• Options
    edited March 2010
    From what Shard-Warrior wrote I have to just agree. And would promote this:

"Best idea I've seen on here so far (IMO) is for the "Survival Bonus".

I have already auto-team off because I got blown up few times due to some stupid PUGs which do either just wait before you attack first or they are leaving in middle of mission without reason - no previous fail, no arguing etc. And then I have to deal with harder setup of enemies myself... So, I turned it off.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Please stop with the personal attacks and discuss this constructively.

Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dionaea wrote:

i have been trying to, yet from my first post this guy attacked me. im supposed to let him trample all over a decent thread and not defend my own opinion which i got called a coward for? (amongst other things :/ )

i care not what i receive for this, but yeah good going. its a bit late to call down on this now, when so much has been posted that detracts from the whole point of this thread. people commented with their opinions and were trampled for them. anyone voting no was called a "coward" or a "TRIBBLE". i realise the forum has rules against this, but it seems to be missing at times.

when someone posts constructive im the first to respond constructive (usually), but if i am to be called a coward etc for my opinion then i do believe i feel the urge to respond.

moderators on this board are in general good, but sometimes the feel of rule enforcement is lacking. my opinions might earn me infractions around the place, but ive never seen someone yet get away with calling someone a TRIBBLE for their honest opinion and still not be banned.

if in the course of this thread i have not held myself to my usual standard of posting, it is because my own character was assailed by someone making huge claims and assuming they had the right to dictate to us all. from a moderator, fair enough, they do have the right. from another user i will defend my opinion.

[edit]

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok so apart from a few ppl who just cannot let things go:rolleyes: does anybody else think that making a important decision BEFORE you know the actual details of what you are deciding on is a great idea?.;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok so apart from a few ppl who just cannot let things go:rolleyes: does anybody else think that making a important decision BEFORE you know the actual details of what you are deciding on is a great idea?.;)

why is it so hard for you to grasp? I LIKE THE CURRENT SYSTEM

did that help?

i see no need for change as i think it is working just fine. you think otherwise, good for you. stop detracting from others opinions because you dont agree with them. everyones opinion is valid, i ahve even validated yours. it is only you here that refuses to accept that someone can have an opinion that isnt yours

do i want to go to tonight baseball game? i dont know whos going to win, or how good the game will be, or even what will happen. hmmm. i like the couch atm i think ill stay home.

i am sure many people have thoughts along those lines, including yourself. to deny it is to deny yourself.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    just reiterating things here:

no matter what the increased DP no one will be happy.

it will be too harsh for some people that want an increase.

it will be too weak for others.

all the people that don't want an increase will be unhappy.

all teh people that don't care will either continue not to care or will be unhappy.

if it is too harsh grouping at all levels will be discouraged including STFs where you can expect to die alot until you put it on farm.

if it is too weak nothing will change and people won't play any better or change what they do anyway.

if it is too harsh people still won't change what they do wether they suicide (zerg) content or try their best every time as it is currently.

people who exploit the system will continue to exploit the system.

death will still happen at the same rate as before.

so in short, nothing will change as far as gameplay goes, but everyone will be unhappy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

did that help?.

Nope.

Like is not the same as perfect, like means you are saying you are aware it can be improved.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nope.

Like is not the same as perfect, like means you are saying you are aware it can be improved.

The current system is perfect for me. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nope.

Way to twist his words to what you want them to mean.

I am happy with the current system and do not want to see any changes.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    rosleck wrote: »

Are you saying that no matter what cryptic cannot improve it, that you cannot envision any sort of improvment ever to it?.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I have quoted the following statement from post #1431 as a reminder that you should be able to test the DP before it is patched into the Live Holodeck Server.

Alecto wrote: »

I'm sure you have all heared of the Test Server known as "Tribble" yes?

Why don't you all wait to see what type of DP Cryptic patches into the Tribble Server for testing, then go in and test it yourself?

It sounds like a much simpler option, it would allow you all to stop speculating, complaining, guessing, arguing etc.

When the DP is available for testing, you can then all effectively suggest, complain, report and generally give as much feedback as you like before the DP is patched into the Live Holodeck Server, what do you think?

The DP is most definately comming whether you want it or not, of course if you want it then it doesn't matter but if you don't, my point is that there is absolutely no point in threads such as this one.

Those who do want a DP and those who don't should concentrate on other things until a valid argument can be placed on the table using facts from testing a DP in the Tribble Server.

Then you can all concentrate on improving whatever it is that you don't like about the Death Penalty.

I would also like to remind posters that this thread is a Poll to determin the following quoted below.
    drgenocide wrote: »
    I want to gather numbers from the forums. Not that this will reflect the true population's preference. So, answer only YES or NO to the following question...

Do you want a Death Penalty? YES or NO.

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Are you saying that no matter what cryptic cannot improve it, that you cannot envision any sort of improvment ever to it?.

No. He said that is is:

1 - "Happy with it"

2 - "do not want to see any changes".

Stop twisting people's posts to try and make them mean something completely different.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dionaea wrote:

just thought i'd quote this again for relevance.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:
    No. He said that is is:

1 - "Happy with it"

2 - "do not want to see any changes".

Stop twisting people's posts to try and make them mean something completely different.

Im not twisting anything nor did i change anything he said.

Im asking a question that is part of reasonable debate i belive, and if it offends you or the answer makes you uncomfortable maybe you should examine WHY.;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010

On this I do agree with you. However, I also respect and understand the point of view others have in terms of wanting a DP as it enhances their gameplay. There should be some common ground for Cryptic to develop a system that will (mostly) appeal to both sides.

With that said, my concern is that they will follow the standard "damage/destroy/pay to repair gear" mold you see ad nauseum in other MMOs because "that's what every other game does" rather than putting any thought into the subject to develop something truly innovative.

So far, I personally have not seen any "pro DP" position that calls for damage to/repair or loss of equipment/BOs/ships that has any merit. These are no more than simple time/currency sinks and lend nothing to the overall play experience. A DP such as this will also do nothing to stop "zerging" or promote more and/or better team play.

It's posted in this thread somewhere the details for a "survival XP bonus" that I personally believe is a much better solution and is not something you see in every other MMO on the market. I hope this is the direction Cryptic takes, but if I were a gambling man, I'd be placing my money on the tiresome "damage/destroy/repair" model that has been done to death in other games. It solves the DP problem as well as the cries for currency sinks.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes to a DP!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    IIm asking a question that is part of reasonable debate i belive,
    rosleck wrote: »

So, saying that he is "happy with it", and does not "want" to see it changed is the same as saying "it cannot be improved" to you?

Got it.
    and if it offends you or the answer makes you uncomfortable maybe you should examine WHY.;)

it doesn't offend me. I am surprised you think it does.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:
    So, saying that he is "happy with it", and does not "want" to see it changed is the same as saying "it cannot be improved" to you?.

Dont you find it interesting that i ask if thats what he means but its you who TELL me thats what he means WHILE telling me its me who is speaking for him.

Now that MAY be what he is saying but at least i asked wghile YOU just assumed........irony that i asked and you said i was putting words into his mouth while you did exactly that lol.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dont you find it interesting that i ask if thats what he means but its you who TELL me thats what he means WHILE telling me its me who is speaking for him.

Now that MAY be what he is saying but at least i asked wghile YOU just assumed........irony that i asked and you said i was putting words into his mouth while you did exactly that lol.

*yawn*

Because he didn't make his opinion an absolute. He made it clear he didn't want to see a change. He didn't say he couldn't see a change ;)

It's called comprehension, and also "not reading too much into something". You should try it.

I'm not saying I know exactly what he meant, I was just saying that once again, you're appearing to be trying to manipulate the meaning of someone's post.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:

I'm not saying I know exactly what he meant, I was just saying that once again, you're appearing to be trying to manipulate the meaning of someone's post.

Im asking questions, as i said the answers seem to make you uncomfortable.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Im asking questions, as i said the answers seem to make you uncomfortable.
    Are you saying that no matter what cryptic cannot improve it

If anything potentially makes me uncomfortable, it's the formation of your question. The second part was fine (can he envision an improvement). But the above part, I'm sure you should be able to understand why it might appear that you're trying to change the meaning of his post. :rolleyes:

Just a little hint, dude, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:
    If anything potentially makes me uncomfortable, it's the formation of your question. The second part was fine (can he envision an improvement). But the above part, I'm sure you should be able to understand why it might appear that you're trying to change the meaning of his post. :rolleyes:

Just a little hint, dude, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt ;)

Give me what you like but you attacked me for asking the question cos you thought i was putting words into his mouth or changing his post, then 3 posts later you did exactly that on his behalf ffs..............theres a word for that it begins with hipo.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
This discussion has been closed.