What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

POLL: Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    And yet WoW is one of the most played and most popular MMOs out there with death penalties much more harsh then what some people are suggesting in this and other threads. And EVE is horrible with perma-death (unless you have another clone/ship), yet it's second in popularity to WoW. Go figure. ;)

eve is not even in the top 10 based on paying players.

and what is less harsh than a 30 second corpse run / repair bill that takes at least 10 deaths before it needs to be paid and takes an hour of dailies at most to pay / encounter reset in dungeons only?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i like that the game has no dp
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I vote no

If I solo PVE and I zerg everything, getting myself killed often in the process, what concern is it to anyone else. This isn't how I play, and I do like to play with some brains, but if its how I like to play the game, so be it. Its my time and my subscription and I don't need other people deciding that I need to be punished for how I play the game. If others want DP then by all means make it an option that can be turned on so anyone who wants to suffer DP can do so. I have enjoyed the game without it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We need one for team play.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I vote yes
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    no. when this is as well developed as wow, then yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Acidpunk wrote: »
    We need one for team play.

You already voted yes once. Please do not vote a second time:
    Acidpunk wrote: »
    How about yes we need one

:)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am pro DP and this is why. so YES

This game is "Pants on the floor" easy. I can fly into a swarm of ships that are 5-10 levels above me. I kill them off one by one, even if I die no problem. I just respawn and "LLLEEEEERRRRROOOOYYYY JJJJJJEEEEEEENNNNNNKKKKKIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!!!!!!!!" myself back in and kill 1 more, rinse and repeat until all ships are dead. This does NOT teach anyone how to play the game. It actually hurts players and when they head into PvP and loose/die over and over they cry "NERF!" or they get called "Noob" when grouping in future raidisodes because they can not actually play the game.

The carebear community see's no issues with this tactic apparently. I for one am diametrically opposed to this. The dp should be cumulative (It stacks) until the zone you are in becomes "unplayable" The DP is removed when you leave the zone for free. Maybe a 10% loss in max energy until you reach 1% and are just able to limp away "abandoning all progress in the mission/zone" and having to start over from scratch.

WHY? Because when you target an enemy it has a number of either +/- or a 0. This number is supposed to mean something. Let's just say for the sake of argument you are "Uber Leet" and can kill ships off that are +1 to your level. I have no issue with that. But when you can take down ships over +4 levels and multiples of them at the same time, there is a problem. The mechanic is NOT being used. The number means NOTHING.

As for PvP I am against a DP as a player needs to be on an even playing field so short of a time sink dp. It makes no sense to add one in.

In short yes to a harsh DP for all PVE content and NO dp for PVP content unless it is a longer respawn timer per death. Which is more than likely the way it is going to be.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mortius wrote: »
    This game is "Pants on the floor" easy.

QFT. The difficulty slider might help, so glad Cryptic is planning to add one along with DP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes

Yes... Yes... Yes...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A lot of people out there are crying for death penalties, but those who think it will hurt this game more then help please start to speak up, voice your opinions or it won't be heard and the ones that are pushing for death penalties will get what they want.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yes yes yes yes
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    --- Mark ---
    Approximate results at this time: (44%) Death Penalty vs (56%) Status Quo

Well, at least more percentage people support DP than the new Health Care plan that is going forced upon us in the U.S.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, death penalty.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NO

Fleet actions like CE forget about it

Gang Gank Fests in PvP expecially ground - forget about it

Borg with life drain and Romi's with unlimited shields - forget about it

OP Classes and Ships - forget about it

Only purpose for DP is to slow your game play down so you Pay longer, no that is not a typo I left the "l" out on purpose. Or some Gank Squad can take all your equipment or keep you from playing while they continue to gank.

No

I'll see your 10char and raise you with LTS and Collectors Edition
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A death penalty should come with cooldowns especially for PvP Klingons are way to over powered especially in space combat.Im sure you Fed Players can agree with me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No .Because it isn't canon. Look at the number of times Voyager almost was destroyed and lived to be sparkling new in the next episode.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No

You tell us we are getting a DP but tell us nothing about what that DP will be? Seriously?

And where is the 'community' that you speak of that wants the DP? Cause I sure would like to meet them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    drgenocide wrote: »
    I want to gather numbers from the forums. Not that this will reflect the true population's preference. So, answer only YES or NO to the following question...

No it won't reflect the true population's preference, only that of small percentage of those who actually visit and post in the forums. Those coming to the forums is only a small percentage of those playing the game. In no way will this ever be anywhere near accurate or even representative of the what the players want.

I for one do NOT want any changes to the death penalty. However, the same flawed logic you've applied to this poll is what got the death penalty added to the state of the game article in the first place.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, because I have to length post.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The short version:
    NO DEATH PENALTY!!! :mad:

The long version: I'm a lifer, I paid & play because there isn't one, this is the reason in play Star Trek Online over other MMO's. It would ruin the game for me & would zap the fun out of things if all I am worrying about is dying. If they added one that considerably changed the gameplay then I'd ask for a refund for altering the games dynamics drasticaly. As a casual MMO player I do not want to have to restart missions 239469864 over, have to wait for 82377290370 minutes before I can play again or lose my loot I worked hard for since I don't have many hours in the week to play in the first place! One of the reasons why Cryptic will most likely not change something as drastic as this, otherwise they'd have a bunch of very angry players like myself to deal with. (I hope!)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No Death Penalty
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No - but maybe a diff slider that can add it for those who want it
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Monthar wrote:
    No it won't reflect the true population's preference, only that of small percentage of those who actually visit and post in the forums. Those coming to the forums is only a small percentage of those playing the game. In no way will this ever be anywhere near accurate or even representative of the what the players want.

I for one do NOT want any changes to the death penalty. However, the same flawed logic you've applied to this poll is what got the death penalty added to the state of the game article in the first place.

Here is the problem. They (Cryptic) are making statements on what the 'community' wants. If that community isn't the forum community then what is it? Cause I sure haven't received any requests on my opinion from any other place and I don't hear anyone saying they were asked for their opinion on it from any other place.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here is the problem. They (Cryptic) are making statements on what the 'community' wants. If that community isn't the forum community then what is it? Cause I sure haven't received any requests on my opinion from any other place and I don't hear anyone saying they were asked for their opinion on it from any other place.

It is from the forum and other utside sources.

The most common complaints about the game are that:

its too easy and has no DP.

it lacks variety and content.

Cryptic listened and seem to have learned.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I say NO to dp
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yes

/10car
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It cant be any clearer- The MAJORITY DO NOT WANT A DEATH PENALTY----and we arent even hearing from all those casual players that dont give a TRIBBLE about the forums....I am sure the 'NO's' would tip the scale even more!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It cant be any clearer- The MAJORITY DO NOT WANT A DEATH PENALTY-

Quite the oppsite actually, the majority want a reasonable DP and a way to increase the difficulty, it is all over this forum and loads of external forums as the biggest negative issues with the game along with a lack of varied content.
This discussion has been closed.