Install Arc
Options

Why This Game Failed

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Ryllynyth wrote: »
    Ad hominem attack. Ceilican loses the moral high ground as penalty.

Your move, sir. :p

I would have to care for the moral high ground first.

The only thing I remotely care about is paying for a product that if using a well known name just might come with some aspect of quality versus sheer lack of lure for anyone wanting something more then "pew pew" especially based on an idea that has 30+ years of material to work with, rather then something just skinned to faintly resemble the IP.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ceilican wrote: »
    And as such the mindless drones like this post are what Cryptic hopes for to keep paying for the game.

Agreed DP is a Hot topic, but would like to know how people feel about my Idea for crafting of Ships the combinding of diff. ones?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You forgot to mention collecting wood, ore, skins, meat, seeds, oh and then you can refine those items to create your own, clothes, armour, food, weapons, shields and so on...oh but wait you can't do that in STO, now can ya.

No, but that's not really a problem because that doesn't happen in Star Trek in the first place. In Star Trek, we have replicators to craft everything for us and we live in a utopian universe of material abundance, remember? It wouldn't make sense if we were gathering resources to build our own things... Even in a 21st century military, that's not how it works.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agreed DP is a Hot topic, but would like to know how people feel about my Idea for crafting of Ships the combinding of diff. ones?

There are a lot of good ideas being presented, but its all pointless if cryptic can't even supply us basic things like raids that work, gangs that work, and such a simple thing like being alone in the same freaking instance as your fleet and gang members.

I'm not ragequiting, but I'm waiting with baited breath here...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Those are some interesting thoughts.

Is it possible some of you could stop with the insults? Go play the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Multiplayer
    None. ALL content can be done solo.

I challenge the OP to beat the crystalline entity mission on his own.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agree with OP?
    <waves tricorder>
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Killerv201 wrote:
    Multiplayer

I challenge the OP to beat the crystalline entity mission on his own.

http://la.gg/upl/lolentity.jpg
    http://la.gg/upl/lolentity2.jpg

Did it. Now what?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Caplet wrote:

He probably meant since it was 'buffed'.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ryllynyth wrote: »
    He probably meant since it was 'buffed'.

That was since it was buffed. I took those screen shots the day of the patch when it was changed. There were a few of us doing it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The point is is that for MMOs today can a company get away with putting out an unpolished, buggy, content-lite game when there are so many that don't. Jack Emmert certainly thinks MMOs can't have a bad launch (in terms of the game itself, not just technical issues), which is just amazing considering the state of STO on launch-day. Sure, after a while they may fix those issues but until that point the bad reviews and word-of-mouth is going to kill the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How about making the Neutral Zone a LIVE PVP battle...that goes on 24/7. Expand it to include many systems, planets and bases that need to be attacked or defended? It would be a constant war-zone that never starts or ends. Assign Starbases to fleets (more than one fleet can have a starbase) and that needs to be defended or taken back by that fleet (they get bumped to K7 or SOL if routed).

This would encourage TEAM PLAY (something that keeps MMOs alive) and FLEETS.

You would have to raise the "Team" limit from 5 though.... god I hate that 5 limit.

Kind of like my other favorite mmo World War II Online www.wwiionline.com
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if STO fails then for one reason
    no content at high end.

and what will we get once the update hits retail? i surely hope it will be more than one raidisode per day ^^
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tarka wrote: »
    http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=15738.0

Many don't heed the above warning. They attempt to launch with a severely malnourished product in the hope that the subs will feed it to full health.

I'm beginning to feel that the future of the MMO industry lies in the hands of those companies who have already made enough of the necessary capital to make a good job of an MMO's launch. That is, the creators of the big name single player games.

Blizzard showed that although they had never made an MMO before, prior to 2005 they had been quietly watching the market, gathering their forces and taking notes. Maybe, just maybe, the likes of Bioware are doing the same. We won't know until next year. One thing is for certain, MMO companies just don't seem to either have the capital or the resources to create a polished MMO.

you make some good points here. i see two major faults with MMOs in general. the first problem seems to be nowadays that, due to so much competition in the MMO world, the financial support for these MMO's demand that the game be released when they say. these financial dogs are not interested in waiting another 3 or 6 months, or maybe a year to polish the game more, they demand a return on their investment in bulk when they think the public has the highest interest, not caring that they would most likely get more income back in the long term, had they waited another 6 months or whatever til release. secondly, best thing an MMO can do IMO is to release as little info as possible to the public about what races, cities etc etc will be in at launch, until they are undoubtedly certain. we know only too well that Mythic declared a starting city for each faction in WAR, which would have made six in total ... yet got only two at launch. several classes were alsomissing from launch as they had promised etc. lastly, your always going to get bugs at the launch of any MMO, regardless of how long you spend polishing the game. and for these people who moan constantly, in future, dont buy the MMO til its 2 or 3 months old until the basic bugs are ironed out. your always going to get server crashes and maintenance needed often at the start.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Of course, considering most of yoru points are opinions. There still are some good ideas and points in it. It's a shame the title of your post is so misleading, because the game is still here, so therefore it has not failed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ceilican wrote: »
    I would have to care for the moral high ground first.

The only thing I remotely care about is paying for a product that if using a well known name just might come with some aspect of quality versus sheer lack of lure for anyone wanting something more then "pew pew" especially based on an idea that has 30+ years of material to work with, rather then something just skinned to faintly resemble the IP.

but we have seen our fair share of MMO's which are based on some fiction in our real world which have failed in an unparalleled way, but played off the names of these titles in the hope of being successful: AoC, WAR, SWG (can i add STO yet??) ....... (and i also think Stargate Worlds has been cancelled but not 100% sure on that one ...)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Caplet wrote:
    Missing Emote
    /gladididn'tbuyalifetimesub

Oh I so want this emote! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tarka wrote: »
    Anyhow, I digress, my personal concern is that STO will go the way of AOC and others:
    • There will be much speculation about what the devs are and are not going to implement.
    • Cue lots of "it will be ready when its ready" and "we may look at that in the future" posts by the devs, meanwhile interviews "suggest" many things but not much is confirmed that the customer doesn't already know.
    • Other than that the devs adhere to "mushroom method" of communication (keep the customers in the dark and feed them on ****).
    • And so, for the first 6 months, the customer is kept hanging on. Subscribing month after month in the vane hope of radical change that is never actually going to come. Meanwhile, more and more hit max level and ask "what do i do at endgame?"
    • Finally, any noticable gameplay changes that ARE implemented, after several months of waiting, summount to nothing more than a bug fixes, performance and content implementation which contains very basic gameplay, much like what we already have.
    I'd love to be proven wrong, but I've learnt not to ignore the signs.

i think the thing to remember here is the phrase: "first impressions last." aside from the technical issues such as launch bugs (which you always get at launch no matter how hard you try to polish) and server issues (which you also get at launch) the game itself must impress on a grand scale. there are some positive views on STO, but these seem far outnumbered by the negative reviews. for example, everyone know how much of a failure WAR has been in general. its actually gaining a few thousand players back now but its pbviously too late for any lasting impressions. my point here being that STO may well go onto good things, but not seemingly with any mass amount of playerbase, judging by the reviews so far. chances are these "good things" may well be too late, only time will tell!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If we are going to keep bringing up the WoW comparisons, how many people in WoW were maxed out in rank after 10 days, as opposed to STO. I am already ranked up to RA 5 whereas, after 2 weeks I was a lvl 25 in WoW.

I have to agree with this the leveling is way to fast its like a race car with no brakes.
    so you end up in the wall wonding what to do next at max level
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Good read http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/10/16/star-trek-online-game-gives-cryptic-studios-a-chance-at-a-mass-audience/ FWIW. I believe Cryptic wants to flesh the game out to the best of their capabilities and abilities. There is no hiding the lack of deep pockets. The game won't completely fail anytime soon imo.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My two cents about this is that I do see cryptic trying to make the game better. Adding new content even if it isn't what people want. But they need to listen to us and should fix current problems.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kneecapper wrote:
    Uhm Knights of the Old Republic is coming. :)

Release The Hounds! Shapien your weapons! Send out to the hordes of vikings!

Whet its you card??(or mmo)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    james592 wrote: »
    Good read http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/10/16/star-trek-online-game-gives-cryptic-studios-a-chance-at-a-mass-audience/ FWIW. I believe Cryptic wants to flesh the game out to the best of their capabilities and abilities. There is no hiding the lack of deep pockets. The game won't completely fail anytime soon imo.

That's far too optimistic and his praise is somewhat misplaced in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Caplet wrote:
    Gave up WoW awhile ago as well. However, the things I said about this game were everything this game had to offer. Tons more to do in WoW. No comparison. WoW has better group styled content, pvp, crafting, exploration, travel, oh, and we can't forgot that WoW has over 8000 quests (currently, with over 2600 at launch), while this game has less than 100.

Gave up on wow, which in your own words has more to offer than this game.
    What games do you play that utterly fulfill your every want, desire and need?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I see another player in there, for one. And at that distance, I've seen peeps not drawn in. Not convinced.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    You're not the sharpest tool in the box are you.

Of course wow has more to offer, it's been in development and production for 10 years. STO... less than 2.

If you are going to troll, at least do it so you don't look like a total idiot.

Honestly just because you are a fan of the game it's no reason for calling someone a idiot.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

And since WOW has been in Dev for 10 years and about 4 of those was play time then STO/CRAPTIC had enough time and proof of concept ideas to actually design STO correctly. They have seen what keeps people in WoW so why not design a game employing those factors?

The idea of good publisher/dev is to learn on the past and attempt to enchance the past (just look at Japanese products, they were all initially enhanced knock off of the western devices and now they are decades ahead of the west).

P.S.
    I am not a WoW player, friends paid my WoW sub for 6 months attempting to get me in, I played for 3 weeks, got to lvl 55 could not stand the game nor the environment.
    Now I play mostly warhammer online and STO, kind of shaky on my STO time though.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Caplet wrote:
    Space

Multiplayer

Would you like to show me how you Soloed the Crystalline Entity or a PvP match?:eek:

Give them the opportunity to add more such encounters and fleet actions.

And please understand, the game is based on star trek, which has traditionally been the adventures of One crew one Ship, even if this ship is part of a Fleet and a federation it still was based around the actions of that one ship so, it is normal that most of your progression can be made solo as you are sent in 5 year missions to explore the unknown etc, and one ship tour of duty.

There are Fleet actions representing the portion of the episodes and movies where we saw more than one ship being involved.

And in time more can be added yet at the core this still has to maintain the core element of Star trek which is about one ship and its crew going on to adventures, and all players, all Captains are entitled to have that same opportunity, therefore this amounts to lots of Content that can be completed in a Solo way, since only one player represents that ship and crew.

But it is not true that the game does not have Multiplayer content.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Best thing i've heard so far to sum up the 45 day patch changes:

Re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    denare wrote: »
    Gave up on wow, which in your own words has more to offer than this game.
    What games do you play that utterly fulfill your every want, desire and need?

WoW does have more to offer than this game. And no where did I say that other games "fulfill my every want, desire and need". Though the other games I am playing now are ME2, BS2, AA3 and SWG. The space part of SWG is the best I've seen, and I wish this game was even half as good.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Suraknar wrote: »
    Would you like to show me how you Soloed the Crystalline Entity or a PvP match?:eek:

Give them the opportunity to add more such encounters and fleet actions.

And please understand, the game is based on star trek, which has traditionally been the adventures of One crew one Ship, even if this ship is part of a Fleet and a federation it still was based around the actions of that one ship so, it is normal that most of your progression can be made solo as you are sent in 5 year missions to explore the unknown etc, and one ship tour of duty.

There are Fleet actions representing the portion of the episodes and movies where we saw more than one ship being involved.

And in time more can be added yet at the core this still has to maintain the core element of Star trek which is about one ship and its crew going on to adventures, and all players, all Captains are entitled to have that same opportunity, therefore this amounts to lots of Content that can be completed in a Solo way, since only one player represents that ship and crew.

But it is not true that the game does not have Multiplayer content.

Sorry, PVP is not content. As for the entity, I have solo'd it. Many times. And yes, this is since it was buffed, and ramming speed was nerfed.

http://la.gg/upl/lolentity.jpg
    http://la.gg/upl/lolentity2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.