What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why This Game Failed

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Going back to the earliest of posts where it's pointed out that these other games this game is compared to has people walking half miles to kill x and back and forth again because the contact couldn't be arsed or is taking the pee out of your ability to remember a shopping list of things and crafting. I'd like to think that Cryptic can do crafting better than those games from its previous CoX games where people craft for their builds. Less than 1% of the gamings population probably have a properly good min/maxxed build, and even less than that can almost properly min/max anything so it must take some intelligence and diligence. You can't make a game that's too hard so the fact we are talking 1% of people isn't shabby. I mean what more do you want?

There are ways to introduce a real crafting system into this game, where your engineering console is more than just what it is now, or does something extra and its the same with anything else but to me it'll make good sense for balancing purposes that this is something that is added, when difficulty levels are added, because right now it's too easy to even need crafting. Extra difficulty levels and crafting should come when an idea on things like how Fed PvP is balanced with Klingon PvP. With Fed teams losing 40-2 in ground combat over certain level ranges maybe something other than Fed inferior team work and preparation is wrong. If there was more crafting already and some people were better experienced with it then PvP balance might be even harder to ascertain.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You're a moron.. the OP just got done listing the same things we already do as it is, only difference its ST quests not WoW quests. If you're going to flame at least put forth an effort

I'm all for this game, but FFS cyptic this is not the same game I followed back in 2008. Thankgod I canceled my subscription before you took my 14.99
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    in response to OP:
    Did I miss an announcement where they said theyre shutting down the servers today?
    Because otherwise it failed to YOU. IM still playing it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You're a moron.. the OP just got done listing the same things we already do as it is, only difference its ST quests not WoW quests. If you're going to flame at least put forth an effort

I'm all for this game, but FFS cyptic this is not the same game I followed back in 2008. Thankgod I canceled my subscription before you took my 14.99

Ya I am in the same boat, canceled my account but at same time I hope they turn it around. But I just do not see how they could possibly save this game. No end game content, horrible ground combat and a space combat system that is already beyond repetitive and boring. Not to mention the fact that this game is too easy. People level capping in 4 days soloing the entire thing is pathetic at best for an MMO. What now you say, well this is it, we have no options but to sit on the forums and wait.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I think you missed the poster’s sarcasm sir. The OP complaint was STO quests were repetitive and his response is basically all MMO’s have repetitive quests. They are just variants of “Go there and kill theses”, “Take this and deliver it there” or “Go there and collect some of those”.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Now that STO has failed, how long before a larger more established company tries another STO MMO? Probably never. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I know I'm a moron, your point?
    Goodwind wrote:
    I think you missed the poster’s sarcasm sir. The OP complaint was STO quests were repetitive and his response is basically all MMO’s have repetitive quests. They are just variants of “Go there and kill theses”, “Take this and deliver it there” or “Go there and collect some of those”.

Cheers, somebody's got it!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DieScream wrote: »
    Now that STO has failed, how long before a larger more established company tries another STO MMO? Probably never. ;)

Uhm Knights of the Old Republic is coming. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kneecapper wrote:
    Uhm Knights of the Old Republic is coming. :)
    No, it isn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, it isn't.

LOL, I see what you did there. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know what kept me playing any other MMO after the first week? Progression. A cool item to wear, a neat weapon to use. A boss encounter that was really fun and challenging that I did with my friends while leveling up.
    Same reason it kept me playing. But on the other hand it didn't. (If you played SWG pre-cu/pre-nge, progression hasn't existed like that.)
    This game has no encounters (Don't even think about telling me the bosses in this game have actual mechanics to them, they do not.)
    It does, just not what you and me know as bosses. Maybe the one Elite Tactical Drone at the Borg Mission can be considered an "encounter", but no, not what I (and perhaps you) know from dungeonbosses in WoW and EQ2.
    This game has no special loot that looks different than what you acquire through exploration missions.
    Sadly that's true, and I hope they'll add variety ASAP. On the other hand I don't want my Antirpoton be more powerful than my Phasers. But then again this goes hand in hand with the skill system (which needs an overhaul).
    This game has no repeatable content period, and even if you could go back and do these missions for loot you couldn't get the first time - why would you? There is no fight. A boss is a normal mob with a different name and no special abilities.
    2 Things:
    a) Yes, it does. You can remain in B'Tran Cluster, and keep exploring Worlds. If you want space loot, hope to get space missions. It's a chore, I know, but still. It is repeatable.
    b) I'm taking EQ2 and WoW again, since those are my last played games: Running over the same boss the 25th time is a fight how again?
    Since when do bosses drop "Health Potions" for sake of argument instead of actual loot based off their character. You kill a Klingon he drops Bat'leths and Disrupters etc. Not pancakes.
    I know it's ridiculous to loot croissants from fallen Jem'Hadar. Never got the logic behind the current lootsystem. I'm hoping for a throughout polish.

I never said STO was perfect. Far from it, it is not perfect in its current state. It needs a lot polishing, but what it does have is a solid groundwork. I'm convincet it can and will get better over the time. It's sad that we get an unfinished product. But what's done is done. If people only would convert their ranting and biatching into something useful and constructive the devs and the playerbase would be so much happier.

People want to leave? Okay, it's their choice. Their money, their pregorative. But please, don't do this "I-Quit-this-Shiat"-routine. Go for "I-Quit-Because...".
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uhm, because the OP was stating a monotonous pattern in missions. And I just took the last MMO I played and pointed out it's the same, which also applies to EQ2, to WAR, to AoC, to RoM.

It is a common theme.
    However where games fail, is how they apply their content TO that theme. And STO fails in that regard, horribly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know some people like crafting in the other games, but should there really be crafting in ST? I was never a huge trekkie but even on the shows and movies they seemed to make things by simply pushing a button.

Kind of realistic to how they did it in the actual Star Treks. I doubt you will see people sewing uniforms or putting guns together by hand this far in the future.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    in response to OP:
    Did I miss an announcement where they said theyre shutting down the servers today?
    Because otherwise it failed to YOU. IM still playing it.

uhm... this? Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game failed and no one told me...

:mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    pierrat wrote: »
    It hasent failed, dont need to be a drama queen. It has not succeeded though far from it, Generally,the game deserves its ranking of around 5-6, can it get better>? yes, how much, thats the question all of us lifers are wondering.

I hope it will get better, but can anyone mention a Cryptic game that has done so after release?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    VantheMan wrote:
    I hope it will get better, but can anyone mention a Cryptic game that has done so after release?

City of Heroes.

Ed.- And soon to be STO, sorry. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    After skimming through most of the posts in this thread, i would just like to add a few things that you all need to take into consideration. STO is more like a MMORGP. You get what you put into it. If you role play with friends and truly try to have fun and have an imagination you will be surprised how fast time goes. After all isnt the point of playing MMO's to loose yourself from reality and to have fun. Does STO have issues? Yes, of course it does. I've never seen an mmo released that didn't. I to would like to see crafting better but can live without it. I would have loved to been an engineer and build starships like you did in POTBS with building ships. Give it some time let things settle, the sky is not falling the game is not failing, we've not even gotten past the free 30 days you get with the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The fact of the matter is: the game was not ready for launch and people are upset. There isn't one person here that loves the game that hasn't said or thought "dude, it will get better! What game launched without bugs?"

Those are excuses, but not explanations. And, the above poster was right--we aren't even past the first free 30 days and it's STILL awful. A few more months of development and/or beta would have been great. Right now it just feels like they are polishing a TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    That's exactly how crafting is in WoW. You just open up the "anvil" with the right amount of items in your inventory.

SWG had actual crafting. WoW is just like STO just wrapped in a different skin.

IMO, SWG was the best crafting system I've had the pleasure of experiencing in an MMO (with Horizons being a close second). I'm hoping STO takes some tips from them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Failed?

I see things very different OP. While its a bummer that you dislike the game so much I myself am still enjoying it... flaws and all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This thread seems to be full of Pakleds.

Where's Q when you need him?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Playing STO is no fun. Each time I think about my 30 days worth about 50 bucks I struggle if I should log in and use those days or do something different with my spare time like watching TV. And TV wins about 90% of the time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

That's what I've been trying to explain! It's an MMO not ****ing I-War 2, or Fallout 3 where EVERY mission is significantly different.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    IMO, SWG was the best crafting system I've had the pleasure of experiencing in an MMO (with Horizons being a close second). I'm hoping STO takes some tips from them.

SWG, IMO, had a true crafting system. WOW and STO are item turn in systems.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you guys are making me want to quit sto x.x and making me miss WoW and eq 2 , thanks >.>
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    astronuts wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is: the game was not ready for launch and people are upset. There isn't one person here that loves the game that hasn't said or thought "dude, it will get better! What game launched without bugs?"

Those are excuses, but not explanations. And, the above poster was right--we aren't even past the first free 30 days and it's STILL awful. A few more months of development and/or beta would have been great. Right now it just feels like they are polishing a TRIBBLE.

I'm sure a few more months of beta would have been great but as the old saying goes "Money doesn't grow on trees".

MMOs like all projects have development budgets and at some point in time the game has to be released as the money gets this.

If rumors are correct then ST:O cost around $15m just to get this far and so another few months would have been unlikely.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    astronuts wrote: »

Then there are also games like Duke Nukem Forever that are in development way too long and never get released. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MMOs are repetitive. There aren't any online games since the days when MUDs were popular that are so sandbox that you could say they weren't. Accept it as a danger of the hobby or not, your choice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The same group of people are in every "I quit" thread defending the game. I think that's the definition of fanboy.
This discussion has been closed.