Install Arc
Options

Why This Game Failed

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    I liked mine better than yours. Or is this where you tell me how your opinion is the correct one?

Pot. Kettle. Etc.

Except you are here telling me that my immeriosn definition is not authentic. So you're not after this, you just want to hear folks who agree with you.

@Goodwind - you're wasting your time with that one, well, unless you have a hankering for bland personal insults hurled from an angry-at-the-world type.

It's briefly entertaining but winds down into terribly drab invectives rather rapidly.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    I liked mine better than yours. Or is this where you tell me how your opinion is the correct one?

Pot. Kettle. Etc.

Except you are here telling me that my immeriosn definition is not authentic. So you're not after this, you just want to hear folks who agree with you.

no im not telling you a darn thing, all i said was alot of people add to immersion for me and this is the reason why. There is no wrong or right, just thats what i think immersion should be,

Now YOU on the other hand took time out to try to correct me as to what proper immersion is. so lets not twist facts up into pretzels to make a point. My point is alot of people is what does immersion for me, yours is not. You do not correct me, and i did not correct you.

Dont play your switching game with me and tell me what i did or didnt do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    STO is not a bad game it's just not a mmorpg ant not worth paying 15€ monthly

it's a good game with nice multiplayer features worth it's 40€ ... that's it
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:
    @Goodwind - you're wasting your time with that one, well, unless you have a hankering for bland personal insults hurled from an angry-at-the-world type.

It's briefly entertaining but winds down into terribly drab invectives rather rapidly.

Yeah, you’re probably right. It just interesting when one person says “The game is not immersive!” and another says “I think it is immersive” and the one replies “What makes you think your opinion is the one we have to listen to?”

It’s just odd. It’s like some folks think only opinions that agree with theirs are actual valid opinions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    Yeah, you’re probably right. It just interesting when one person says “The game is not immersive!” and another says “I think it is immersive” and the one replies “What makes you think your opinion is the one we have to listen to?”

It’s just odd. It’s like some folks think only opinions that agree with theirs are actual valid opinions.

I think they just mistake opinion as fact.

They were taught that facts are concrete, so they can't possibly be incorrect, therefore no other fact (opinion) is feasibly valid.

I think the game has plenty of immersion, but I also think it is very compartmentalized compared to others in the genre. Not necessarily any better or worse, just not what people have been used to from something carrying the overwrought 'MMO' tag.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    pierrat wrote: »
    no im not telling you a darn thing, all i said was alot of people add to immersion for me and this is the reason why. There is no wrong or right, just thats what i think immersion should be,

Now YOU on the other hand took time out to try to correct me as to what proper immersion is. so lets not twist facts up into pretzels to make a point. My point is alot of people is what does immersion for me, yours is not. You do not correct me, and i did not correct you.

Dont play your switching game with me and tell me what i did or didnt do.

You said what immersion was.

I said what immersion was.

You attack me for actually stating something different. You challenged the validity of my opinion. You insinuated that it had no value.

Hell, you attacked my avatar. Really… how sad.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:
    I think they just mistake opinion as fact.

They were taught that facts are concrete, so they can't possibly be incorrect, therefore no other fact (opinion) is feasibly valid.

I think the game has plenty of immersion, but I also think it is very compartmentalized compared to others in the genre. Not necessarily any better or worse, just not what people have been used to from something carrying the overwrought 'MMO' tag.

You’re probably on to something there. In any case, whether you like STO or not, I don’t see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that it is not an MMO. You may or may not like the instancing that is used but that simply doesn’t make it less of an MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:

Seriously are you mentally deficient? Where did i say your opinion was wrong? Your the one who tried to correct my opinion, all i said regarding your opinion is you dont correct me, because your opinion holds no more truth than mine, its all subjective.
    pierrat wrote:
    For immersion yes? is a far more dynamic world, more variables more chances to meet total jerks and angels. in other games it was great sometimes being in low lvl area and seeing higher levels pass. It was nice to see, something DIFFERENT walk across the landscape, be it a chocobo for the first time or a dragon mount, some beautiful avatar with awesome armor. It broke up the monotony of just seeing the same same same same thing with NO chance of a different experience. sure things got trained on me, and i got jacked and i also met some people who gave me hints or a nice item that was way above me but garbage to them.

Thats my opinion, i never said it was wrong or right, just thats what it means to be immersive for me, your reply
    Goodwind wrote:
    More people doesn't add immersion... it simply adds more lag. More lag does not make something more of an MMO.

so you dont think my version of immersion doesnt count because you dont think more people add to it.
    I never asked you, I dont care what your opinion is because like mine its an opinion. You dont CORRECT opinions, we have different standards, so mine doesnt match yours so what, it doesnt make anyone wrong or right. So quit your phony outrage
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    See what I meant about the bland personal insults?

You just have to laugh at how predictable it was.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Seriously are you mentally deficient?
    First you attack my opinion, then my avatar and now just personally attack me.
    Where did i say your opinion was wrong?
    “Thats nice now tell me again why your opinion is the defacto opinion as to what a proper "immersion" lvl a mmo should be.”
    “Is there somewhere I can look up that says under the authority of #$TRIBBLE@ Commander ryker wannabe's defintion of immersion is the official version?”

Yep, all said by you. All questioning the validity of my opinion.
    Your the one who tried to correct my opinion, all i said regarding your opinion is you dont correct me, because your opinion holds no more truth than mine, its all subjective.
    No, I disagreed with your opinion and stated mine. You got angry that I didn’t agree and then went on the rant insinuating my opinion held no value.
    Thats my opinion, i never said it was wrong or right, just thats what it means to be immersive for me, your reply

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goodwind
    More people doesn't add immersion... it simply adds more lag. More lag does not make something more of an MMO.

so you dont think my version of immersion doesnt count because you dont think more people add to it.
    I never asked you, I dont care what your opinion is because like mine its an opinion. You dont CORRECT opinions, we have different standards, so mine doesnt match yours so what, it doesnt make anyone wrong or right. So quit your phony outrage
    So, what are you saying? That I can’t state my opinion if it is different than yours? That’s all I did.

But I have to wonder, how can you say “dont[sic] CORRECT opinions” when your response to different opinions is to reply with:

“Thats nice now tell me again why your opinion is the defacto opinion as to what a proper "immersion" lvl a mmo should be.”
    “Is there somewhere I can look up that says under the authority of #$TRIBBLE@ Commander ryker wannabe's defintion of immersion is the official version?”

There is a word that describes this behavior but it escapes my mind at the moment.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:

Yes when people make things up i do wonder if im arguging with someone who;'s just being difficult or someone who cant genuinly tell the difference when stating an opinion versus correcting someones opinion.Since he clearly was responding to what i said and how its "wrong" because the # if people doesnt match his version then yes.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:

You should write a book on forum posting behavior! Or tell me the next lotto numbers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    You’re probably on to something there. In any case, whether you like STO or not, I don’t see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that it is not an MMO. You may or may not like the instancing that is used but that simply doesn’t make it less of an MMO.

It's not an MMO. (Straight face).

I see less people in game then I do in casual matches in Modern Warfare 2. There is nothing MASSIVE about having 5 people in your party. There is nothing MASSIVE about seeing 10 - 20 ships in a zone. There is nothing MASSIVE about the planet instances, the space instances, the ground instances, the zone maps, etc.

The only thing massive about the game is the chat system, email and exchange. Otherwise you are not going to see more then a few people at any given time, you are not going to be able to fight more then a few people at any given time, you are not going to be able to talk locally to more then a few people at any given time, etc.

Again, it's not a MMO game. It's a small multiplayer online game that has email, chat and an auction house.

~ Foulwin
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    On another note, last night at least one player canceled her account because she was just sick of all of the griping players who stay here to for no other reason than to insult players in-game and on the forums for wanting to play and liking the game.... And that Cryptic is just letting them rant away at everyone else' expense...

And that will be the reality of it...

This is Cryptic's house we're in, it is private property... And there's a bunch of stoners on the couch that don't know when to leave and are eating all the Cheetos and watching Carlos Mencia on the big-screen... I can tell you what I think Cryptic ought to do...clean the house.... =D

Otherwise you get this Jerry Springer Show all day, every day....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    So, what are you saying? That I can’t state my opinion if it is different than yours? That’s all I did.

i never said that and i would never dream of saying that. But you dont need to tear down my opinion to build yours up. Your opinion was a direct response to mine, you demean my opinion while elevating yours which was my only point is to what makes you think you can belittle what i believe to be immersion versus yours.

i didnt start off my opinon by commenting how yours was wrong and this is the reason why its wrong. Which you did. and im leaving it at that. Amusing arguments is one thing, but this is mindless nonesense and ppl have better thing to read, i suspect from both of us.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goodwind wrote:
    You should write a book on forum posting behavior! Or tell me the next lotto numbers.

I'm not psychic, it was personal experience in the recent past. He's attacked multiple people in separate threads, myself included, claiming they were somehow discriminatory against disabled individuals and so on. I think he just uses it as his character assassination device of choice.

He'll go on and on as long as you respond directly, I grew bored with it after painting him into a corner in another thread when he contradicted himself.

I was just trying to save you the time I wasted trying to get him to own his position instead of defaulting to a stream of pejoratives.
    someGit wrote: »
    On another note, last night at least one player canceled her account because she was just sick of all of the griping players who stay here to for no other reason than to insult players in-game and on the forums for wanting to play and liking the game.... And that Cryptic is just letting them rant away at everyone else' expense...

They'd get blasted for too much censorship, probably more trouble than it's worth. They'll just whine more.

You have to turn off public chat and stay away from the forums if you can't handle whiners. They infest every MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Foulwin wrote: »
    It's not an MMO. (Straight face).

I see less people in game then I do in casual matches in Modern Warfare 2.

Umm... ok.
    There is nothing MASSIVE about having 5 people in your party.

Five is just about the standard party size in most MMOs.
    There is nothing MASSIVE about seeing 10 - 20 ships in a zone. There is nothing MASSIVE about the planet instances, the space instances, the ground instances, the zone maps, etc.

10-20 ships anywhere is a pretty big number of combat ships...

And I think you're miss using the term massive, as it is in MMO, when describing the size of zones/instances. Massive, in MMO, is about the number of players playing.
    The only thing massive about the game is the chat system, email and exchange. Otherwise you are not going to see more then a few people at any given time, you are not going to be able to fight more then a few people at any given time, you are not going to be able to talk locally to more then a few people at any given time, etc.

Again, it's not a MMO game. It's a small multiplayer online game that has email, chat and an auction house.

If you want to twist the meaning of MMO into almost no meaning sure. I group with about the same number of people in STO as most other MMOs I've played. You fight a similar number of enemies in an instance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game failed because we don't have craftable ice cream IMHO. I mean C'MON!?!?!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i never said that and i would never dream of saying that.

Who wrote:
    Thats nice now tell me again why your opinion is the defacto opinion as to what a proper "immersion" lvl a mmo should be. Is there somewhere I can look up that says under the authority of #$TRIBBLE@ Commander ryker wannabe's defintion of immersion is the official version?
    Maybe we should make sure you approve of all new things in the game to see if they pass your judgement. or we can do like in real life and let each person decide for themselves what they want to define immersion.

Oh...you.
    But you dont need to tear down my opinion to build yours up.

See your above quote where you are trying to tear down an opinion to build your own up.
    Your opinion was a direct response to mine, you demean my opinion while elevating yours which was my only point is to what makes you think you can belittle what i believe to be immersion versus yours.

Yep, my opion is different than yours. Am I not allowed to posted it becuase it is different than yours?
    i didnt start off my opinon by commenting how yours was wrong and this is the reason why its wrong.

No, you just made those comments following mine.
    Which you did.

I just happened to post after yours. Unless it is a first come, first is right and no one can disagree rule that I missed.
    and im leaving it at that. Amusing arguments is one thing, but this is mindless nonesense and ppl have better thing to read, i suspect from both of us.

I agree that your postings have been nonsense. See not all of your opinions I'll disagree with.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:
    I'm not psychic, it was personal experience in the recent past. He's attacked multiple people in separate threads, myself included, claiming they were somehow discriminatory against disabled individuals and so on. I think he just uses it as his character assassination device of choice.

He'll go on and on as long as you respond directly, I grew bored with it after painting him into a corner in another thread when he contradicted himself.

I was just trying to save you the time I wasted trying to get him to own his position instead of defaulting to a stream of pejoratives.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And that will be the reality of it...

This is Cryptic's house we're in, it is private property... And there's a bunch of stoners on the couch that don't know when to leave and are eating all the Cheetos and watching Carlos Mencia on the big-screen... I can tell you what I think Cryptic ought to do...clean the house.... =D

Every game gets flamed and its always the fan boys who take the most major offense. Its a game, everyone is entitled to their opinion however crappy anyone thinks it may be. If you get that majorly offensive over a game, then you must have major drama IRL.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:

They'd get blasted for too much censorship, probably more trouble than it's worth. They'll just whine more.

You have to turn off public chat and stay away from the forums if you can't handle whiners. They infest every MMO.

There is no such thing as censorship on private property... Those two things do not exist together...

No one has a right to stand in your living room and tell you how to be....

And yeah, the egos-gone-wild are all over other MMO's... But the degree of fervor is not the same.. In some, if you pointlessly badmouth enough , the company will block you... Anarchy Online comes to mind...

This notion of protected speech and "activism" is totally irrelevant, this isn't city hall...it's a game forum... It's owned...and not by The People™

Your points are well taken though...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There is no such thing as censorship on private property... Those two things do not exist together...

No one has a right to stand in your living room and tell you how to be....

And yeah, the egos-gone-wild are all over other MMO's... But the degree of fervor is not the same.. In some, if you pointlessly badmouth enough , the company will block you... Anarchy Online comes to mind...

This notion of protected speech and "activism" is totally irrelevant, this isn't city hall...it's a game forum... It's owned...and not by The People™

Your points are well taken though...

Oh, I know about private entities in regard to censorship and free speech. The problem is the majority of everyone else does not, so the minute a company gets heavy with removal of ranting they scream bloody murder. Most of them won't bother trying to stem the tide because it doesn't really accomplish too much.

So you just have to tolerate it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Morgueana wrote:
    Every game gets flamed and its always the fan boys who take the most major offense. Its a game, everyone is entitled to their opinion however crappy anyone thinks it may be. If you get that majorly offensive over a game, then you must have major drama IRL.

You are not entitled to anything when you are on someone else's property... Your opinion is irrelevant when you are on someone else' property...

The girl that left was not a "fan boy" she was a player who already had a lot of friends in the game (and on the forums)... and a high tolerance level (in my opinion), not the sensitive type... If she's leaving because of the prepubescent people (like those you kind of seem to be because you assume to know what "type" she was...if I'm wrong...sorry...) and had no real problem with them...

My guess is for every L33tBoy on the forums complaining that Cryptic stole their birthdays, there's five good players who are leaving because they won't shut up...

Ever been to a movie where some baby won't stop crying? ... I guess you'd criticize people for leaving that too? ...that's not free speech either btw...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The game hasn't failed until they close the doors.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    again... it's lovely to see that all of you think this game has no multiplayer part since everything can be done alone.

if THAT's actually an argument, then this game has no singleplayer part, since everything can be done in a team.

logic > you. thx 4 listening.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thane wrote: »
    again... it's lovely to see that all of you think this game has no multiplayer part since everything can be done alone.

if THAT's actually an argument, then this game has no singleplayer part, since everything can be done in a team.

logic > you. thx 4 listening.
    :eek:

:D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SFade wrote:
    Oh, I know about private entities in regard to censorship and free speech. The problem is the majority of everyone else does not, so the minute a company gets heavy with removal of ranting they scream bloody murder. Most of them won't bother trying to stem the tide because it doesn't really accomplish too much.

So you just have to tolerate it.

Paying customers have a right to express their concerns about a product they bought to the manufacturer once they abide by the rules of the forums.

Also anyone who cancels their subscription due to what other people say, might be a tad fragile to be using the internet :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jounar wrote: »
    Paying customers have a right to express their concerns about a product they bought to the manufacturer once they abide by the rules of the forums.

Also anyone who cancels their subscription due to what other people say, might be a tad fragile to be using the internet :cool:

Actually, no one has rights on these forums.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    you know you people who ***** and whine and all the other things just leave i am getting sick of it all you do is find the negative just sit down shut up and play or leave theres your choices
This discussion has been closed.