• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    As an ex Auto Assault player I have one thing to say:

Wow, they're ADVERTISING the GAME!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Weird, a misleading advertisement? That's insane and totally unheard of except for every single other ad in television history. Do Lego men really move by themselves like in the commercials? That's false advertisement!
    Do film trailers show scenes that aren't actually in the movie? Better call the FCC!

You guys are getting worked up over a cutscene that never made it into the game. Nowhere does it even imply that that is in-game footage.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pandajuice wrote: »
    Weird, a misleading advertisement? That's insane and totally unheard of except for every single other ad in television history. Do Lego men really move by themselves like in the commercials? That's false advertisement!
    Do film trailers show scenes that aren't actually in the movie? Better call the FCC!

You guys are getting worked up over a cutscene that never made it into the game. Nowhere does it even imply that that is in-game footage.

FTC actually :-)

your comparing apples with ... umm, what are they called in english again ... to an unrelated fruit anyway.

everyone with more then 2 braincells knows that Lego Men dont move by themselves ... but after seeing that STO advert how is somebody to know that its actually NOT possible to command your ship from its bridge ? i mean the possibility is there and even if you read through the various infos about the game on this site it is never stated that its NOT possible to do so...

dont get me wrong here, i knew that you couldnt command your vessel from the bridge but to somebody whos knew to MMOs and wasnt in beta if they just see the commercial they will get the impression that its possible.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ocharni wrote: »

your comparing apples with ... umm, what are they called in english again ... to an unrelated fruit anyway.

everyone with more then 2 braincells knows that Lego Men dont move by themselves ... but after seeing that STO advert how is somebody to know that its actually NOT possible to command your ship from its bridge ? i mean the possibility is there and even if you read through the various infos about the game on this site it is never stated that its NOT possible to do so...

dont get me wrong here, i knew that you couldnt command your vessel from the bridge but to somebody whos knew to MMOs and wasnt in beta if they just see the commercial they will get the impression that its possible.

If they only see that one commercial...because they wouldn't have read anything in any of the myriad magazines on it, they wouldn't have found out about it other ways, they wouldn't have read about it in gaming or PC magazines. Yeah, I TOTALLY believe that.

What gamer - even a new one - doesn't read ANYTHING to do with gaming, either in print or online? I only ask because of the fact that your example REQUIRES the people in question to have not heard of STO or anything to do with it until they saw that commercial, and then, instead of doing ANY RESEARCH on it WHATSOEVER, to just go out and plop $50 down on a game they know nothing about.

Oh, and were you drunk? Because you typoed; you spelled "new" wrong.;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ocharni wrote:
    but after seeing that STO advert how is somebody to know that its actually NOT possible to command your ship from its bridge ?
    By that same logic, what is there in that commercial that actually shows the player giving any sort of commands from the bridge, and having the starship react accordingly out in space?

Okay, so that commercial shows a two-second clip with the camera panning inside the second room of the tutorial, and has a voice clip playing over the top. That's it.

I concede that the commercial doesn't explicitly state that you can't control the ship from the bridge, but at the same time I would point out that in no capacity does it imply that you can.

Ambiguous? Certainly.

But ambiguity does not add up to deception.

Unnecessary Extra Bit™:
    I'm a bit of a sucker for irony, so I want to point out the following.

Logically, it seems Cryptic would have assumed their customers were intelligent enough to spot that scene two minutes into the game, and simply recognise it for what it is.

So let's look at this another way. Could it be, that the game's fans are attacking Cryptic, for a decision made on the basis that the game's fans were intelligent? :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ocharni wrote: »

...anyone with "more than 2 brain cells" can tgell CGI from in game footage too
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Again the whiners goes to show how little intellectual capacity they are capable of.

IT IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

And they never say you can commandeer your own ship from the bridge.
    They say exactly what you can; and this is commandeer your own starship.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bad_Baron wrote:
    Again the whiners goes to show how little intellectual capacity they are capable of.

IT IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

And they never say you can commandeer your own ship from the bridge.
    They say exactly what you can; and this is commandeer your own starship.

See, I like hoe that one guy says we're making personal attacks against him when his whole basis is "Im stupid. They lied to me"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, and were you drunk? Because you typoed; you spelled "new" wrong.

Well, if he/she was drunk...
    You're point was...?

... so were you! :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    my typing sucks far too much to allow myself tpo try and correct others lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, if he/she was drunk...

... so were you! :p

It's an inside joke. According to the person I quoted, only drunk people make typos on the internet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No reason to crucify Cryptic for this.
    Well... you could, but then you would have to have a go at every single game developer out there.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually the vid implies that is whats in game so it ammounts to false advertising
    which is illegal in all countries
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gmccabe01 wrote: »
    Actually the vid implies that is whats in game so it ammounts to false advertising

Nope it doesn't imply anything. if viewers are not smart enough to understand what CGI is its not companies fault. Every MMO company does this and someone posted a list of all other MMO trailers. Go have a look.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    Not it doesn't imply anything. if viewers are not smart enough to understand what CGI is its not companies fault. Every MMO company does this and someone posted a list of all other MMO trailers. Go have a look.

lol
    IF all commercial were true than I could play a mohawk in wow, the goverment would hand me money for nothing, my ***** would be huge and women would flock to me for using the "axe" brand of smelly soap.

I do hope to see the CGI cut scenes in game though..............
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gmccabe01 wrote: »

where is it that it states this? I asked, over and over, and noone has yet told me where this is in the vid
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It doesn't state that.

It states that you will be the commander of your own star ship.
    Which you are.

And when did anyone start to believe in commercials?

If that is the standard, I should start to advertise for my new power drink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SHOCKING !

And here I thought ads always told the truth... I'm so disappointed but I suppose that's why i don't look like Mr Universe after 20 days like that other ad promised...

People are so naive!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Torath wrote:
    Link

Clearly this is different than what I purchased, yet it's being shilled on television. I guess my Captain is really stupid and doesn't know how to issue combat orders from the bridge...

This doesn't instill faith in Cryptic. This is a carnival shill, and everyone should be very careful about what they are led to believe about the upcoming development of this game.

Nice job though guys! This is exactly the kind of game I was hoping you'd deliver.

This move is going to hit the blog scene like no tomorrow.

Its called a cinematic. They've been in video games and video game advertisements since the 1980s.

Perhaps you've heard of them?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I thought it was an alright advert. The bridge view bit is a bit cheeky, but thats the advertising industry for you.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Torath wrote:
    There's quite a lot that has actually yet to make it into this game lol

The only thing shown in the commercial that isn't in the game is the implied bridge functionality, and I'd forgive that if they'd replaced some of that footage with more of the second or two you actually see the space combat UI.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i'ld pay real money to play that game :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Um, you all do understand that this was not created or endorsed by Cryptic, right? An outside advertising agency was hired by Atari for this. Cryptic had minimal if any creative feedback here. That's just how it's done.

Stand down. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RichVR wrote: »
    Um, you all do understand that this was not created or endorsed by Cryptic, right? An outside advertising agency was hired by Atari for this. Cryptic had minimal if any creative feedback here. That's just how it's done.

Stand down. ;)

Cryptic is still responsible for the license (on lease by CBS), and how it's used by all subsidiaries.

That's like making the argument that just because the bullets used in the gun are made by a different company that the shooter is not to be blamed for his mass homicide spree. :rolleyes:

And just whom do you think provided "said footage" to the advertising agency to begin with? Hmmm... must have been espionage ninjas.

-avery
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And what exactly are you suggesting they be held accountable for?

There's still nothing in that trailer that comes close to showing a player commanding their starship from the bridge.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does it say anywere on screen "gameplay footage" hmmmm?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Krenn wrote: »
    i'ld pay real money to play that game :D

I agree Dr. McCoy...so let me know when you find that game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    -avery wrote:
    Cryptic is still responsible for the license (on lease by CBS), and how it's used by all subsidiaries.

That's like making the argument that just because the bullets used in the gun are made by a different company that the shooter is not to be blamed for his mass homicide spree. :rolleyes:

And just whom do you think provided "said footage" to the advertising agency to begin with? Hmmm... must have been espionage ninjas.

-avery

You obviously don't understand. Cryptic answers to Atari execs. Not the other way around. They say give us graphics for a commercial, Cryptic says yes.

The bullet "analogy" is so bad it's not even wrong. The sad thing is that you think it's so clever. I'm embarrassed for you. You should quit before you make a bigger fool of yourself.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nope this commercial is TOTALLY misleading. The guy in the big chair should say " PRESS SPACEBAR!!!!" not "Fire Phasers!". :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nope this commercial is TOTALLY misleading. The guy in the big chair should say " PRESS SPACEBAR!!!!" not "Fire Phasers!". :D

LOL!!

Too funny! between you and this comment...
    Well, you WERE insulting other people's intelligence. Perhaps you shouldn't be doing that, if your own intelligence can be so easily brought into question.

I need a new spleen.