test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When does THIS game come out?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Link

Clearly this is different than what I purchased, yet it's being shilled on television. I guess my Captain is really stupid and doesn't know how to issue combat orders from the bridge...

This doesn't instill faith in Cryptic. This is a carnival shill, and everyone should be very careful about what they are led to believe about the upcoming development of this game.

Nice job though guys! This is exactly the kind of game I was hoping you'd deliver.

This move is going to hit the blog scene like no tomorrow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Ugh...I saw a captain on his bridge giving commands..? Did I miss a patch? Lol.
    edited February 2010
    i want to go through battles watching my captain sit in her chair - --- maybe a screen shake once in a while when i get hit, but that's it. - no watching ships fly around each other in an action packed pew pew pewing contest !
    edited February 2010
    LOL it would seem we all missed a patch. This is beyond misleading, and actually sickening that they put together a commercial of lies to try and get subscribers.

I just sent CBS an email about that very thing..
    edited February 2010
    Is that a recent advert?

If it is, it really is blatently missleading, as you cannot fight from the bridge, which the advert very much implies.

Tsk tsk Cryptic.
    edited February 2010
    It's a nice video. I recognized Quinn. Didn't really look to me like a Captain on his bridge giving commands ... looked more like cut scenes. Could be further along in the game from what I've accomplished thus far.

Edit: Okay, I see what you're talking about now. The two shots of the viewscreen ... first shows a ship sitting there stable. Not far from what we have now. The second would seem to show some 'activity' around a starbase. I wouldn't go so far as to say fighting -- could have been Earth Spacedock with a bunch of ships around it. But yes, very misleading.

But then it's an advertisement. I've long stopped expecting to see what I see in ads actually in the playable content of a video game. It's almost always in the cut scenes.
    edited February 2010
    They look like cutscenes from the game's intro, and probably some clips that were either deleted or have yet to make it into the game.
    edited February 2010
    I just saw this on sci fi channel a few minutes ago and thought the same thing. I'm having a lot of fun with the game but that was a freaking misleading commercial, starting with the Mrs. Roddenberry computer voice.
    edited February 2010
    There's quite a lot that has actually yet to make it into this game lol
    edited February 2010
    Give me a break! It is just a pieced together montage of released trailers. In all reality there is NOTHING wrong with the commercial. Now dry up!
    edited February 2010
    The scene at 10 seconds is from the beginning of the game where the captain tells you to hail another ship.
    The scene at 18 seconds is from the Klingon Video (http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14270158/star-trek-online/videos/startrekonline_trl_video_101409.html)
    As for the scene at 24 seconds, I have no idea what that is from and is probably just a cut scene of something that happens in-game?

All in All I dont see it as misleading, the announcers doesn't say "give orders in your command chair" or something similar. The opening just says "Captain your ship" and shows a bridge, which we all are able to visit.
    edited February 2010
    Coming soon, STO TV patch. Features include:

Going to the link the OP gave and watching the video over and over again. You won't level up or get energy, but you'll get annoyed :p lol.

Seriously though I hope they add something where you can see your bridge while flying around the sectors or during battle. Like people have said in other threads, we don't have to be on the bridge during the battle, we just want to see our characters and BOs moving and acting.
    edited February 2010
    Makabu wrote:
    Give me a break! It is just a pieced together montage of released trailers. In all reality there is NOTHING wrong with the commercial. Now dry up!

Actually, I don't like or appreciate misleading commercials of any kind. The reason is because it depicts that clip as the game, and doesn't inform anyone that might buy it that it isn't what they will be paying for. That is wrong, no other way to slice it.
    edited February 2010
    Ads are never true game play we all know that. But the style and approach of the ad was a bit misleading especially.

Voice acting
    Bridge Commands
    edited February 2010
    you think this is something new? almost every single video trailer they've done has been sped up to seem more actiony, cryptic devs have even admitted to doing this, we also didn't get that faster paced game either.
    edited February 2010
    reon wrote: »
    The scene at 10 seconds is from the beginning of the game where the captain tells you to hail another ship.
    The scene at 18 seconds is from the Klingon Video (http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14270158/star-trek-online/videos/startrekonline_trl_video_101409.html)
    As for the scene at 24 seconds, I have no idea what that is from and is probably just a cut scene of something that happens in-game?

All in All I dont see it as misleading, the announcers doesn't say "give orders in your command chair" or something similar. The opening just says "Captain your ship" and shows a bridge, which we all are able to visit.

The announcers also don't say "You can't actually do anything on your bridge like these avatars are" either, which is why it's misleading. We might know you can't order battle commands from the bridge, but the commercial isn't trying to get us to buy anything. Sadly, we already did.
    edited February 2010
    Without commercials and wikipedia, I wouldn't even know what is real in the world anymore.
    edited February 2010
    Torath wrote:
    Actually, I don't like or appreciate misleading commercials of any kind. The reason is because it depicts that clip as the game, and doesn't inform anyone that might buy it that it isn't what they will be paying for. That is wrong, no other way to slice it.

No it doesn't depict it as a game play nor it is implied anywhere. The parts which are intended to be shown as game play are there with UI on screen. Rest are just cut scenes. Please do a little bit more research next time before you throw accusations. ;)
    edited February 2010
    Torath wrote:

Then you need to turn your TV off. Advertising targets certain types of people to draw in more sales by pretty much any means necessary. Think of how many parents had to rush out and buy the Transformer toys because of its 30 Minute Commerical..
    edited February 2010
    attilio wrote: »
    Coming soon, STO TV patch. Features include:

Going to the link the OP gave and watching the video over and over again. You won't level up or get energy, but you'll get annoyed :p lol. .

Awesomeness! Click it 5 times and you get 104 points and 30 BO. =D
    edited February 2010
    This was brought up awhile back, and a dev stated that it was comprised of the tutorial and some other shots.

Also, it was created using a tool that's actually in game, but not documented or supported fully as they like, that they hope to make available to the players.
    edited February 2010
    Torath wrote:
    Link

Clearly this is different than what I purchased, yet it's being shilled on television. I guess my Captain is really stupid and doesn't know how to issue combat orders from the bridge...

This doesn't instill faith in Cryptic. This is a carnival shill, and everyone should be very careful about what they are led to believe about the upcoming development of this game.

Nice job though guys! This is exactly the kind of game I was hoping you'd deliver.

This move is going to hit the blog scene like no tomorrow.

Ya what ever game that is OWNS!
    edited February 2010
    Maxil85 wrote: »
    This was brought up awhile back, and a dev stated that it was comprised of the tutorial and some other shots.

Also, it was created using a tool that's actually in game, but not documented or supported fully as they like, that they hope to make available to the players.

Dont think i saw any of that in the tutorial... correct me if im wrong?
    edited February 2010
    mickeyx wrote:
    No it doesn't depict it as a game play nor it is implied anywhere. The parts which are intended to be shown as game play are there with UI on screen. Rest are just cut scenes. Please do a little bit more research next time before you throw accusations. ;)

It certainly is depicted as gameplay. This has been on SyFy 10x in the last 2 hours. They are hammering this to the public and only someone with blinders on would respond that they don't intend any deception.
    edited February 2010
    Video game commercials do this stuff. They depict scenes in the game that never happen. Whole cut scenes that you dont see in game. Ive seen stuff like this a million times before.

I remember a Borderlands commercial (good game) where they kept showing what looked like cutscenes ,but I played the game twice and those scenes are not in the game.

Its false. Its misleading. But its common.

Im not surprised STO went the same route.
    edited February 2010
    This is what we WANT the game to be like.
    edited February 2010
    Rdizz81 wrote: »
    Dont think i saw any of that in the tutorial... correct me if im wrong?

My post Page 2 top of the page
    edited February 2010
    dhaise wrote: »
    Without commercials and wikipedia, I wouldn't even know what is real in the world anymore.

Lol at wikipedia and advertisement as the center for realism.
    edited February 2010
    Torath wrote:
    It certainly is depicted as gameplay. This has been on SyFy 10x in the last 2 hours. They are hammering this to the public and only someone with blinders on would respond that they don't intend any deception.

Once again watch trailer carefully. The parts which are intended to be shown as game play are there with full UI on screen with chat box scrolling. Rest is just cut scenes.

And there is no such thing as honest advertising. If you are really that sensitive you should not watch television. ;)
    edited February 2010
    Lol at wikipedia and advertisement as the center for realism.

LOL as well! I'm just glad it wasn't "Digg and Twitter" =)
    edited February 2010
    Do be far advertising you shmobing around in sector space wouldn't elicit much positive feedback.