test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Admiral Speaks: No Endgame Content.... At All (Spoiler Alert)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    ... amateurs ...

That's the precise word for Cryptic.

No support, no content, no answer, no patch note, no nothing ...
    Except for the money you gave them ...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Gkaar wrote:
    That's the precise word for Cryptic.

No support, no content, no answer, no patch note, no nothing ...
    Except for the money you gave them ...

Um, you should try the "Release Notes" in the launcher. Guess what i found there? Exactly, patch notes. Go figures, eh. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Allmight wrote: »
    Um, you should try the "Release Notes" in the launcher. Guess what i found there? Exactly, patch notes. Go figures, eh. :rolleyes:

Don't argue with trolls that will be gone when the grace period expires.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    someone on one of these pages said it best. As one of the "first" maxers in a game you are always part of a beta test. Whether it's STO, LOTRO, WoW, SWG, etc. The list literally goes on and on with EVERY MMORPG. And it doesn't even stop with release. Even in WoW, every new raid encounter, every new xpac, they ALL have bugs, lack of content, or some other less-than-perfect aspect encountered by the very first crowd to hit the advancement cap.

I won't chime in with "he leveled too fast" or "what did you expect when you level to admiral in a week", but I will give a "what did you expect when you are one of the first to max?". That it was so easy or that people are doing it within a week or two is really beside the point, the point being that this is the same problem encountered in EVERY MMORPG.

All I can say I guess is that I hope Cryptic releases an advancement system for you (and others like you) that lasts long enough. Once WoW did fix UBRS, MC and Ony, they at least lasted most 60s a month for farm status and longer for full gearing. They also added DM for non-raiders. Cryptic definitely needs to make sure there is a well-itemized end game, and to do it appropriately probably needs to make sure that the loot tables ensure that it will take you a few weeks of playing to properly outfit yourself completely.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Punkwasher wrote: »
    Seriously dude, get a job. No way you leveled that fast with a full-time job...

I'd like to defend the OP here.

You tell someone "get a job" in THIS ECONOMY?!?!

Dude, I'm LUCKY to have employment right now. My company went from over 20 employees to... ME. That's it. Just me and the owners.

Don't ever assume your employment or anyone else's is a given. If you do, you wont notice the chopping block you're on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well whatever, dunno what your problem is at all, so you rushed to Admiral in no time. I guess it hasnt been much fun to grind all day long. So you complain about that you spoiled your fun for nothing. Oh well. I just had a glorious night fighting with my fleet mates in some nice missions. I made it from lt. 4 to lt. 5 in like 4 hours. Sure I was not half as fast as you but i had fun. Now where is that the problem of the game you are playing?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1, For someone playing that much they are never ever going to be able to create enough fresh content for you.

2, Only a tiny percentage of players are going to reach max level this week. Should the limited Dev resource be spent on creating content for a tiny percentage of the player base OR on fixing the initial bugs (see todays sizable patch notes) & content that effects a large percentage of the playerbase? When a larger percentage of the player base reaches higher level then it becomes more important to deliver high end content. In say 45 days or so...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    VarSity wrote: »
    Its his game, if he wants to power through it he should be allowed to.

This is a MMO and you are supposed to be able to play these things for YEARS, if there is not content beyond the level cap that is a joke.

He's actually not even at the level cap. If you run out of quests or anything to do at Admiral 5, how the hell are you supposed to get to Admiral 10? Pretty weak that they've basically released a game that isn't completed enough to meet with what is advertised as max level (Admiral 10 or level 50) at this time.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    n0vhpaa wrote: »
    Let this be a lesson. Dont rush through the game.

^^This. What the op is basically saying is that he spent 18+ hours a day playing STO in order to get ahead of the curve where 90% of the players are currently located. Then he finds out that the devs are adding/modifying/fixing content in the Lt.Cmdr-Cmdr ranks because almost everyone playing sto atm is at or below that level bracket. Why is this surprising? They're working on improvements that will affect the majority, not the minority that hasn't seen daylight in 5 days.

Go outside. Hit the gym. Talk with real people. Live your life.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    Look here. The stuff you're looking for now will be coming very soon.

Congrats on reaching Admiral!

I think the problem he is trying to convey Storm (which I will attempt to do in a nicer manner), is that at least the group stuff needed to be in at launch. If it takes longer to get the raid content in that one thing, but ATM there is zero content period that's actually designed for players at cap.

The expectation when seeing that post you linked, which was added before launch, was that Borg sector space and the section listed under 'The Hive Mind is Everywhere' would be going in on launch day, with 'Raid Episodes' and 'More Action' coming in the weeks after. In fact a discussion between me and several other friends who are also at or near Admiral took place along the lines of, "So where is the access to Borg space? Have you found a quest? No, have you? Maybe you have to do X or Y first? Nope. Is it not out yet? It should be..." and so forth.

Cardassian space was clearly only designed to take one through the low 40's (as evidenced by the SP rewards starting to drop off at 42-43), and even there nothing resemble what would be the fantasy game equivalent of a dungeon run that a group of friends would get together for nightly.

That's what we're looking for ATM, something to do with our friends for a few hours on a nightly basis that we can repeat with the chance of valuable drops that are an improvement over badge gear. The raid stuff can come later, but something to do nighty with friends needs to come sooner, much sooner.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ^^This. What the op is basically saying is that he spent 18+ hours a day playing STO in order to get ahead of the curve where 90% of the players are currently located. Then he finds out that the devs are adding/modifying/fixing content in the Lt.Cmdr-Cmdr ranks because almost everyone playing sto atm is at or below that level bracket. Why is this surprising? They're working on improvements that will affect the majority, not the minority that hasn't seen daylight in 5 days.

Go outside. Hit the gym. Talk with real people. Live your life.

This is the only MMO I have played that had only enough content at launch to last people 6 days.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can someone answer me logically why you'd want to rush your way through ANY MMO? I just don't get it. What, so you can have the best gear first? So the hell what? Does anyone find that impressive? Lord knows I don't; it reeks of overcompensation for other shortcomings, as far as I'm concerned.

Don't get me wrong; we want our end-game content, and I fully agree this needs to be addressed post-haste, but:

1. Cryptic's already said it's coming, and soon.

2. I'm sure they weren't expecting someone to push THAT hard to get to Admiral in a week. I mean...come on. That's still 50 levels (not counting ensign, since that's completed by the time you finish the tutorial). Really? You've got nothing better to do than to power-level yourself in the first week of launch, and then you have the brass cajones to complain about a lack of endgame content? Wow. That's just ridiculous, and in many ways very, very sad.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Guess you missed the part about being a sheep. The point is there is NO endgame at ALL. So even if I took, say, a month to level.. then what? Wait? Endgame content is a hard lesson many devs have learned and here we go again...

First off, there is absolutely NO way you could have achieved Admiral by playing the game without abusing a broken mob or something. I am at Cmdr 4 and I have been playing hard.

I am assuming that you missed all the story lines, aka The Game.

You are the very reason that there is a skill cap in the first place. Did you think that suddenly you would be able to "pwn noobs" or something? Didn't you pay attention to the game as you were leveling?

Ah, that's right! You were too busy powerleveling.

Go back to WoW.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok look, it's my choice as to which pace I choose to level. When you pay my sub fee, then maybe you can give me advice. Until then, I suggest you stop trying to be forum posers and accept the fact that this is just wrong of Cryptic to do to us. I rescheduled my entire month to play the weekend of STO release and I had a blast doing it. So what if I made it to admiral fast? It's an MMO! Last I checked most MMOs don't even START till you max level. Get off your high horses. You wanna level slow, fine, but these games aren't meant to just be a leveling fest. They're meant to be played for a LONG time.

OP has his point. My fear of lacking end game content is confirmed. Don't blame him rushing the game. We need always put pressure on Crytic. We are its customers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Paneth wrote:
    *sigh* I dont really understand why everyones attacking this guy.
    Me either. All you people telling him he's playing the game wrong need to get over yourselves.

If a game ships with 50 levels, it would have content to do at levels 45-50 if it were a complete game. The OP isn't even talking about raid content necessarily, he's talking about level 45+ single-player content.

Guys. Come on. You're going to criticize a person who is pointing out that there is a lack of 45-50 single player content?

When EQ came out, there was at least Nagafen's Lair and the dungeon of Guk at release. It had two raid bosses as well. WoW had Blackrock Spire at release. And so on. A game that ships with no quests, crafting or content for ordinary high level players---not raiders, mind you, just ordinary players---is doing itself and its playr base a disservice.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Zones

* Scholomance, a level 57-60 instanced dungeon in Western Plaguelands is now open.

* Ashenvale has gotten a facelift to include more points of interest, and significant changes were made to make it easier to navigate.

* Ragefire Chasm, a low level instance dungeon in Orgrimmar, is now available.

* Deadmines: The Miners in the Deadmines are no longer elite monsters.

* Blackfathom Deeps has been moved to the Zoram Strand in Ashenvale forest near the border of Darkshore.

* More quests have been added for Eastern and Western Plaguelands.

ur an idiot my friend....raids were not accessible:

FROM OFFICIAL wow:

Rumors of Onyxia, an enormous black dragon, have been heard through out Azeroth. Be sure to bring many brave warriors for she won't take kindly to intruders in her lair. Both factions will need to complete unique, and challenging quests to gain access to the Onyxia encounter. **During the beta testing there will be a temporary placeholder vendor who sells keys to Onyxia's lair for testing purposes.

**Raid loot is being worked on and temporary loot has been placed in raid encounters

NONE of this was accessible at launch so yes..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHA

Actually, you should do your research because you can avoid embarassment.

WoW release date: November 22-23, 2004
    Patch 1.1.0 date: November 7, 2004

And what you quoted was from the 1.1.0 patch notes:

New Raid Encounters

Rumors of Onyxia, an enormous black dragon, have been heard through out Azeroth. Be sure to bring many brave warriors for she won’t take kindly to intruders in her lair. Both factions will need to complete unique, and challenging quests to gain access to the Onyxia encounter. **During the beta testing there will be a temporary placeholder vendor who sells keys to Onyxia’s lair for testing purposes.

Discovered in the heart of Blackrock Mountain beyond the Depths, lies the Molten Core. Within the Molten Core lives a multitude of ancient and powerful evil. Adventurers be ware, for the dangers found within the Molten Core are many and takes many forms.

** Raid loot is being worked on and temporary loot has been placed in raid encounters

----

So yes, the raid was already there.

Also:
    'The original incarnation of the instance was one of two raid dungeons available upon release of World of Warcraft, the other being Molten Core.'
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Onyxia's_Lair_(original)

Luckily, I'm not affected by the lack of raid/end-game content right now, my Lieutenant is only Grade 7, and I'm not planning to rush to the end game. And by the time I get there, the new content will be ready.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roanoke wrote:
    He's actually not even at the level cap. If you run out of quests or anything to do at Admiral 5, how the hell are you supposed to get to Admiral 10? Pretty weak that they've basically released a game that isn't completed enough to meet with what is advertised as max level (Admiral 10 or level 50) at this time.

Um, Admiral 5 IS the current level cap.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well I'd love to say I'm not an idiot but who would believe me? (j/k). But I did beta test and was among the testers who were praying for major fixes and updates for launch. Until the week before launch they were promising all kinds of stuff for release. Then I guess with all the stability issues and what not they pushed some of it back. That's fine. No complaint here.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of people hot on the trail of being admiral. I remember being in Cardassian Space and seeing TONS of captains in the /who tab a couple days ago. I may have been one of the first (I guess), but I won't be alone for long. And again, I know it's unfair to assume that I am the majority and should be catered to, but there are a LOT of hardcore gamers out there that are migrating here and it won't be long before Cryptic has to work overtime to keep them happy with content. 5 mans just wont cut it for long.

Sorry for calling you an idiot. :p

I'm Captain-5 myself. However, I expectd there to be nothing to do but farm gear at 41+. I'm going to spend the majority of my time helping my fleet. I'll outfit my other tier ships with uber gear, and use those ships to join in the fun. I also very much enjoy playing Klingon, so there is always that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vols wrote:
    Me either. All you people telling him he's playing the game wrong need to get over yourselves.

If a game ships with 50 levels, it would have content to do at levels 45-50 if it were a complete game. The OP isn't even talking about raid content necessarily, he's talking about level 45+ single-player content.

Guys. Come on. You're going to criticize a person who is pointing out that there is a lack of 45-50 single player content?

When EQ came out, there was at least Nagafen's Lair and the dungeon of Guk at release. It had two raid bosses as well. WoW had Blackrock Spire at release. And so on. A game that ships with no quests, crafting or content for ordinary high level players---not raiders, mind you, just ordinary players---is doing itself and its playr base a disservice.

^^ This^^
    However... im still only a Lieutenant, so my empathy only goes so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I remember with Guild Wars, I reached the endgame a few months after release, and the only endgame at that point was to grind two dungeons (accessed from the same remote place) for loot to craft into purely cosmetic items. It wasn't for a while after that until they started adding new areas as endgame content (that had little point in and of themselves, if I recall correctly). So if Cryptic can put out new content by 45 days after release, I'll be happy. Sure, I would be happier if they had taken a couple more months to further develop the game, but that's just the way things go sometimes, and I have no idea about the executive-meddling stuff that could have made them release early. Remember, the devs are generally their own worst critics, but by the time they've fixed everything they want to and have everything they could possibly think of in the game, their funding has being long-since cut off, the license has being transferred elsewhere, and they're filing for bankruptcy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vols wrote:

I guess they were thinking that getting the low and mid range content done was more important than working on the high end...silly people.

IT JUST WAS RELEASED ON TUESDAY, and on THURSDAY, you are whining????!?!?!!

This is why i hate most gamers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sorry for calling you an idiot. :p

I'm Captain-5 myself. However, I expectd there to be nothing to do but farm gear at 41+. I'm going to spend the majority of my time helping my fleet. I'll outfit my other tier ships with uber gear, and use those ships to join in the fun. I also very much enjoy playing Klingon, so there is always that.

It's all good man. I walked the line on this thread anyway :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Can someone answer me logically why you'd want to rush your way through ANY MMO?

2. I'm sure they weren't expecting someone to push THAT hard to get to Admiral in a week.

Because as any MMO vet thats been in a hardcore/raid guild/etc will tell you, Leveling is basically earning the right to play endgame. The quicker you are leveled, the sooner you earn the right to start really playing. All the heavy group action ans so forth is based off being at level cap, every level before that is basically there to teach you how to play at endgame.

Judging by how in open beta, when they removed the lvl restriction with less than a week remaining (the restriction was 16), they did so with the comment "First one to Sovereign Wins," it's fairly obvious that they knew people would be making it to at least 41 in under a week. Therefore as leveling is exactly the same speed in live as it was in beta, it's obvious they should expect the same here as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    Look here. The stuff you're looking for now will be coming very soon.

Congrats on reaching Admiral!

Even though I appreciate a link like this, what the OP had raised concerns me a great deal.. right now, what I am seeing from this link, is nothing more than a "wish" list of potential features that have yet to be delivered, however, in all of Cryptic marketing and selling efforts, these was a integral part of the product selling which lead consumers to believe that most of the "so-called" features are done and are available as part of their buying decision to purchase the product.

For those, who ragging on the OP - it does not matter, whatever level you are at, the beginning, the middle or at the end-game, the real question is, "Cryptic" is selling a product, and making certain claims about it, that the products suppose to have this, consumers are buying the product where theirs expectation are set and based on what "Cryptic" had "claimed" in their marketing and selling offering, and if such claims or features are "not available", working" or featured", then 'hence" this is an issue, under the "implied warranty of merchantability" laws - look it up before you hate on a consumer who happen to get to the end game before any of us. He did all of us a favor, just some people have not realize it yet. I not saying do not support Cryptic, or hate them, or not still support them, there is nothing wrong in being an informed consumer.

Its does not matter how a person play their game, it not up the customer to determine what in the product and how fast they proceed, if a merchant made a claim, which led to the customer to buy the product and the customer expect it when they purchase, it up to the Merchant to ensure the product delivered what they promised,

I have brought the game, purchased a 1 year subscription based on what been promises and features in their sales offering and what I have seen so far, Cryptic is not living up to what they had advertised.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lunatec wrote: »
    I guess they were thinking that getting the low and mid range content done was more important than working on the high end...silly people.

IT JUST WAS RELEASED ON TUESDAY, and on THURSDAY, you are whining????!?!?!!

This is why i hate most gamers.

Nobody is whining. It's called pointing out the obvious---if you ship a game with a level range, you should ship content for the entire level range. Less content for high level players, yes, absolutely. It makes sense you'd make sure the leveling game is smooth and fun. But read the OP again. There is nothing at his level range at all. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero content. A void. Empty space.

That is called failure.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    question dont know if its been asked as i wasnt prepared to read through 35 pages of "you shouldnt rush the game".

but what is your /played because that would be a better comparison than just saying 2 days.

As for end game just tootle around in your tier 5 starship and show off for a while :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Awarkle wrote: »
    question dont know if its been asked as i wasnt prepared to read through 35 pages of "you shouldnt rush the game".

but what is your /played because that would be a better comparison than just saying 2 days.

As for end game just tootle around in your tier 5 starship and show off for a while :)

/played was close to their estimates for max level
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The thing is levels fly by, Im not a power leveler yet in open Beta I made commander. Considering I may have players about 50 hours worth I felt that was too fast for an MMORPG Personally at 4 hours per day I would have expected top level at 6 months without power leveling at the fastest. Meaning top level for a power leveler could be reached in maybe 10% of that time ie the end of this month not in 6 days (assuming they arent logged in 24/7 auto fighting crystal entity or something)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would love to see your ship. Congratulations on making Admiral.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Awarkle wrote: »

Just checked mine, 2 days 20 hours, and I've been RA5( aka Capped) for 12 of those probably. So 2 days 8 hours roughly to cap. (54 hours) You have to expect endgame content to be avalible at launch when endgame is reachable in under 2.5 days playtime.

By the ~3 day mark I'm in close to full mk10 badge gear on my ship, (missing just a few of the pieces that were minor or no upgrade) and my character. All that's left is to basically replace a mk9 engine with mk10, and fill out my BO's with mk10's. That's easily do able in a day of moderate playing, meaning in 4 days played I can literally have my character completely maxed out from whats in game.

That's why he's stating we need some kind of endgame content very quick.