test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Admiral Speaks: No Endgame Content.... At All (Spoiler Alert)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Aior wrote:
    Personal attacks are amazingly good at getting your point across and creating an open minded enviroment.

By the way I played Vanilla WoW. People did not just raid for end game content. There were other things to do, and some things were a lot more difficult then, as well as items were more diverse, and gave you something good to do in the end isntead of just raid.

But WoW also had different MMO enviroment than STO does. So its not fair to compare these two really. There are arguments both ways if we throw in the WoW factor.

I wasn't trying to personally attack this guy, but personally I do find it a bit ridiculous that they have already hit the max level after 6 days. It was the same thing with the first guy to hit level 60 in WoW...

Besides, the point is, once you hit the max level it IS all about the end game content. Though you are saying that we cannot compare STO to WoW, I still want to. It's the only MMO I have a base for endgame with. When you hit level 60 in WoW, you cannot get super-awesome gear without the help of other players. It cannot be done. PvP rewards require other players to PvP against. 5-man/10-man/15-man instances required other people to team up, and not even just players; the right CLASS mix had to be there. The total endgame content of Onyxia and Molten Core required a very skilled 40-man group of players with a voice chat program and organized officers. It could not be "Pugged" by any stretch of the word.

The fact that this guy has hit the max level and is complaining there is nothing to do is frankly pretty stupid when you're talking about an MMO. The Multiplayer aspect of the game becomes pretty important once you hit max level is all I'm saying.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sevok wrote: »
    I'm going to go ahead and use the cliche, "that's what you get for rushing."

Seriously. The game has been available to you for 6 days. And you're max-level. Wow. By any measure, you rushed. You set a goal for yourself to get to max level as fast as you could. And you did it. Congrats.

Have you never played an MMO at release before? This is ALWAYS WHAT HAPPENS to people who pick up an MMO at release and rush to max level. They find nothing waiting for them. It is never any different. WoW at release. People rushed to cap. Found nothing. EQ1...EQ2...LOTRO... The list just goes on.

Just... don't rush to cap in an MMO at release. You'll always find nothing.

WoW had two 40 man raids at release.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

We'll let you re-read your own post to realize what you just said. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I wasn't trying to personally attack this guy, but personally I do find it a bit ridiculous that they have already hit the max level after 6 days. It was the same thing with the first guy to hit level 60 in WoW...

Besides, the point is, once you hit the max level it IS all about the end game content. Though you are saying that we cannot compare STO to WoW, I still want to. It's the only MMO I have a base for endgame with. When you hit level 60 in WoW, you cannot get super-awesome gear without the help of other players. It cannot be done. PvP rewards require other players to PvP against. 5-man/10-man/15-man instances required other people to team up, and not even just players; the right CLASS mix had to be there. The total endgame content of Onyxia and Molten Core required a very skilled 40-man group of players with a voice chat program and organized officers. It could not be "Pugged" by any stretch of the word.

The fact that this guy has hit the max level and is complaining there is nothing to do is frankly pretty stupid when you're talking about an MMO. The Multiplayer aspect of the game becomes pretty important once you hit max level is all I'm saying.

It was same in the AION, a guy hit max level, got bored soon of grinding at the end game and wrote long pages complaining and blaming the company. STO is not the first game to have players like OP. Thats why replying to him is a waste of time.

if you check Fallen Earth (3 months old game) forums, there too its the same problem. No one can keep power levellers happy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

no it just took so long for people to level, by the time there where 40 level 60's in one guild, it was released
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am laughing so hard now. Everyone in beta knew it had no end game currently. Yet people still rushed it in a few days and are now whinging that nothing exists.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What I'm saying is that there is really nowhere to even go to grind for gear. People talk about exploration missions, which I did for a day straight. You'd be SHOCKED as to how many times you run the same 3 or 4 missions over and over again. Only difference is one is called PSX-00235 and the other is POS-445566. The names change, the experience in them doesn't.

I've done the max level thing in a few days/weeks before and it's usually quite a bit different. You sit there and plan where to get the gear you want and can actually get together and quest, craft, etc. In STO, you get it all in a day or two running the same (and only mission you have for the most part) over and over
    again.

On a side note, if the rumors are true about when the new content is coming, then I really don't have a complaint in that area. Two weeks after launch is a totally acceptable time frame. 45 days after is pushing it but whatever. But the thing that really caused me to make this thread was the fact that there really is NOTHING at all to do. It's just weird.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well just hit Admiral 5 and, to my dismay, there is absolutely NO endgame content in place. None. In fact after you rank up to Admiral, the quests just stop coming. There's no "way to go" there's no serious loot. There's nothing. Sure some of you will want to say "well you hit Admiral too fast" but that's not the point. The point is there is NOTHING at all to do at 45. Not a single thing except maybe pvp once the Klingons get Admiral. It's so blatantly neglected that it's almost offensive.

And when I say nothing I mean NOTHING. No more Missons to do. No Fleet actions. No crafting. No PvP yet. No exploration (unless you count the randomly generated generic Genesis missions). Literally nothing at all. And I outfitted my ship in green MK X almost completely in one day. I really have no goals at all anymore.

Might as well just start showing credits once we hit 45 because the game is literally over at that point.

There is a COMPLETE lack of not only a crafting system, but also the ability to even tell us if there will be one soon. So I guess I can't craft to bide my time either. Really amateur.

Now let's talk about the fact that there is NO WAY to form a raid, or get your fleet together and do a fleet action. In fact, there's no fleet actions after the Crystalline Entity. So all of us who are commander and above have nothing at all to do together. And even if we did, we'd have to hopefully all hop into the same instance to work together. Again, Great Job.

Oh, and the skill distribution. Letting us max out only one at tier 5 and put another 7 points elsewhere? Even if the eventual cap will be 50 this is just so dumb for a release.

Hmm did I miss anything? Yup. Tons. But I'm so awestruck by the middle finger we are all getting to even cover it all for the Devs (AGAIN). Already beat this dead horse during beta along with tons of other people. Submitted countless tickets and reports and threads to help. Thanks for completely ignoring your testers, guys.

Bottom line is this game is looking more and more like a total scam job and a DESPERATE attempt to get a quick $20 million bonus from Atari. I want to love it as much as the next guy but I have never seen such a complete neglect of endgame content before. Ever. Even Aion had some world bosses. And what should we expect in the 45 day patch? Maybe one extra area? Then what, wait another 3 months for Memory Alpha to start working? No thanks.

Just tell us the real story and stop hiding behind your shallow promises and misleading marketing. Just say it Craig. "Thanks for buying STO even though it's completely unfinished. Thanks for helping us get that $20 million from Atari. Now pay us till SWTOR comes out and makes us look even more like amateurs."

On a final note, spare me the "It's a new MMO and shouldn't have endgame yet" because those are the words of a blind sheep and have no real bearing in logical discussion. Anyone with any business sense would have noticed from other MMOs how fast people level up and want endgame content. The amount of broken/incomplete content is astounding and really discouraging. I see this and think "even if they follow through with all the hot air they've been spewing, when, if ever, can we expect it?" I just can't believe that they have much in the works for the 45 day patch. No mention yet from anyone on crafting or anything else major. Really finding it harder and harder to believe in this game after seeing all there is to see (literally) in a span of 5 days.

PROVE ME WRONG, CRYPTIC! I really want to play this game for a while but you repeatedly let us down on every point. Show me you actually care and make this game what you claimed it would be in all the interviews and dev chats. Otherwise your reputation will never recover. Remember a company named SOE and what happened to their rep after SWG? Notice any similarities here? How could you not?....

Well done general. You made it. I will send you a medal.
    This is a typical example that tells us whats wrong with the RP community today. They don,t RP anymore, don,t read, don,t explore and rush though a game and then crying for content. MMo games are more then rushing for content. . MMorpg is about making friends and make your own stories and do some RP. Every time when a new MMo comes up you see these kind of gamers on forumboards that complain about boring and missing content.

One thing that cryptic need to consider. Bring a decent crafting system in this game over time. So peeps can make there own content with statics depends on level crafter you are and recources you can find in the galaxy, so you don,t have any problems anymore with these kind of gamers.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you've hit Admiral and are bored, here's something useful to do:
    Compile a list of all vendors in the game, with locations, what they sell, what they require.

Your name will live in stickydom forever...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I never saw a bigger bunch of brainless lemmings in my entire life, outside of a LIVE StarTrek Convention.

I love the "you rushed thro, so you get what you deserve", and "you played the game too fast" comments.

As IF the player is wrong for finding out there's absolutely no gold at the end of the rainbow.

IF you have an IQ near the same digits at your shoe size, then this game is for you. For the rest of us, who EXPECT more for our initial $50, and then $15 a month thereafter, we need more than what this sorry rush job has to offer.

MMOs are supposed to be games that you can play for years, IF ANYONE can "rush" thro to max lvl in less than a week, then #1 something is wrong with the MMO, and designers messed up, and #2 IF someone can max lvl before the free 30 days are up, what purpose is there for ANYONE to continue paying for this game? Once again, devs messed up.

The bigger issue is that it's not a sandbox type MMO with large areas to go and explore and kill things. Sure StarWarsGalaxies didn't have alot of specifically made end-game content upon release, BUT there were places you could go, and things to do to be challenged like hunting Krayt Dragons, or taking a group into the Death Watch Bunker. There was something, in STO there's nothing aside from a weak random mission generator.

From what I've seen first-hand, and based on what others have agreed, this game is no better than even a good solo console game, which can be beat in a few days time. Don't you feel ripped off if you pick up a new 360 or PS3 game, and can blow thro it in a few days time? There's $59.99 down the drain, BUT, and this is a big BUT, you CAN at least take the console game back to Gamestop and cash it in for $25-$30 credit for another product.

With STO you've just thrown $50 away, and if your like me, who participated in Open Beta, and then Head Start, are more disappointed than most, because soooo many issues are still present that killed this game before it was ever released, and now in the final product days, a few patches later, alot of the game-breakin stuff due to bad design still is here, lack of finished content is STILL there, and many bad techical issues and bugs STILL EXIST.

So shame on Cryptic for making a StarTrek game that's nothing but City of Heroes with a bad licenced StarTrek mod, which still can't even handle the number of people who are trying to play it capacity-wise.
    That's another issue in itself, which should have been addressed fully b4 launch ever.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Peope push an inferior product out for a bonus hoping that it will sell before people see it's TRIBBLE. It's as clear as black and white to me. Sorry it's not for you.
    If the game was TRIBBLE, I'm surprised you are complaining about no endgame content. You must have liked the game up until that point. I'd have to totally be obsessed with a game to achieve what you have.

I get both sides of this. Understand that MMOs historically have no, or dysfunctional, endgame at launch. Got that. Also get that Cryptic is working on endgame content. Got that. But thinking about people like the OP who have a lot of time to level, I'm not sure how even having endgame content wouldn't get old itself. How long will it be before the endgame content becomes 'been there, done that' for these people?

I do think, though, that for the majority of players, the first endgame content will be enough to keep us busy for awhile. Reading this http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/79456, it gives me hope that there will be some pretty cool stuff to do at endgame, and this is just the first implemented endgame content. It is already in the game, but being polished and will be unlocked shortly.

Quick leveling is an issue with STO, though, in general. I suspect the lack of mid-game content may have forced a situation where Cryptic had to allow missions to grant more points so players don't run out of missions for their level. If there were more missions per level, they could reduce the overall experience incurred for those missions, slowing the levelling process.

Overall, though, I really like this game, and when I do get to the end game content, it appears there will be some very cool stuff to do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We'll let you re-read your own post to realize what you just said. :rolleyes:

I replied to a post that stated WoW had no end game at release. The fact it required 39 other people dosen't change the fact that it was in place before the game launched. Cryptic half assed this game because they could. It worked with CO and they still haven't really added anything. Whats the saying? Fool me once, you know the rest I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    50 levels in less then a week.... and complains about lack of content....

/yawn

No kidding! QFE!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    not the OP's fault the game is lacking content, there is 1 mission per lvl, not hard to play through everything on your 2 week journey to admiral.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Flintlocke wrote:
    If the game was TRIBBLE, I'm surprised you are complaining about no endgame content. You must have liked the game up until that point. I'd have to totally be obsessed with a game to achieve what you have.

I get both sides of this. Understand that MMOs historically have no, or dysfunctional, endgame at launch. Got that. Also get that Cryptic is working on endgame content. Got that. But thinking about people like the OP who have a lot of time to level, I'm not sure how even having endgame content wouldn't get old itself. How long will it be before the endgame content becomes 'been there, done that' for these people?

I do think, though, that for the majority of players, the first endgame content will be enough to keep us busy for awhile. Reading this http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/79456, it gives me hope that there will be some pretty cool stuff to do at endgame, and this is just the first implemented endgame content. It is already in the game, but being polished and will be unlocked shortly.

Quick leveling is an issue with STO, though, in general. I suspect the lack of mid-game content may have forced a situation where Cryptic had to allow missions to grant more points so players don't run out of missions for their level. If there were more missions per level, they could reduce the overall experience incurred for those missions, slowing the levelling process.

Overall, though, I really like this game, and when I do get to the end game content, it appears there will be some very cool stuff to do.

I love the game too, man. If I didn't I wouldn't be here trying to point out its shortcomings in the hopes of change. I just can't say enough how this post was only made because of the odd and uneventful experience of reaching level cap.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well if we must go there :-p (WoW that is)

Yes you needed a group for everything then if you wanted a good chance to even see a blue item. But there are plenty of level 45 players now. Plenty enough to make full groups or fill up a few fleet action instances.

The items were amazingly placed on different loot tables here and there to make people grind for the "Best" combination of gear. This was because of their success with Diablo II(Which many of those original devs went to FS which failed then some to Cryptic I believe)

There was some things to do in the end, but most took atleast a month to even get into the 55+ area. And those were players who played quite a bit. Getting 60 in a week back then was something an insane person would do only.

However, here like I said there are atleast 100 Admirals now and 50-60 on at any given time. Thats just the fronts lines in the 100's of captains just behind them. Hopefuly they will have something waiting for them in a week.

One thing you need to remember though. When you are the first to reach cap you are in another type of beta test at times. I am there myself, and I understand that completly. I send in bugs all the time.

But there really needs to be something soon, not for my sake, but for STO's and this poor forum :-p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I

And your point is? The very game your defending lacks this, unless you're talking about the sorry excuse for PVP, which is very limited that exists within STO?

And there's no rewards or point of PVPing in this game. Thus no end-game content. Blindly defending a game totally blows my mind.

But with "STO for life" in your sig, it's evident where you stand, even IF there's nothing you can do, or say to dispute the issues within this game. I bet your character looks like a Lemming in game eh? lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well just hit Admiral 5 and, to my dismay, .... I really have no goals at all anymore.
    Right there, that says it all. I hope you're happy I've helped you find out what's been bugging you all along. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RazorX70 wrote:
    I never saw a bigger bunch of brainless lemmings in my entire life, outside of a LIVE StarTrek Convention.

I love the "you rushed thro, so you get what you deserve", and "you played the game too fast" comments.

As IF the player is wrong for finding out there's absolutely no gold at the end of the rainbow.

Except it was well known that the game currently has no end game. This is a common problem in new MMO's. Even if it did have an end game it would take a while for it to kick off properly because there are only a handful of Admirals atm.

The biggest criticism of this game pre-launch was "IT HAS NO END GAME!". The future of STO update was "we are adding four end game group missions". This was also exactly what happened in Champions.

Caveat emptor. I am not defending Cryptic, I am just laughing at people who expected different.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

HAHAHAHA..just because you joined 6 months after release doesnt make it a release LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HAHAHAHA..just because you joined 6 months after release doesnt make it a release LOL

WoW had 2.. True. MC and Onyxia.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_1.1 - Version 1.1 is THE RELEASE of WoW

Yes HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There is exploration. It is always equal to your level. Good luck finding items from those though.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bos22 wrote:

Yes HAHAHAHAHAHA

"Raid loot is being worked on and temporary loot has been placed in raid encounters"

Raiding in WoW didn't work "correctly" for months after release. And good luck getting 40 60's in pre-raid gear a few days after release.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I love the game too, man. If I didn't I wouldn't be here trying to point out its shortcomings in the hopes of change. I just can't say enough how this post was only made because of the odd and uneventful experience of reaching level cap.
    Understood. It appears you were an exception to Cryptic's rules, so to speak. Seems that there is some decent endgame in the works, and of course it needs more people of similar level to make it work. I suspect that it will be revealed around the time that more high-level folks are approaching their level cap. Perhaps make that Klingon or work on another character in the meantime. Nothing can be done about your concerns at the moment - message received. We now all wait for Cryptic to unlock there first endgame content and we'll see what we see.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    RazorX70 wrote:
    And your point is? The very game your defending lacks this, unless you're talking about the sorry excuse for PVP, which is very limited that exists within STO?

And there's no rewards or point of PVPing in this game. Thus no end-game content. Blindly defending a game totally blows my mind.

But with "STO for life" in your sig, it's evident where you stand, even IF there's nothing you can do, or say to dispute the issues within this game. I bet your character looks like a Lemming in game eh? lol

For your information, the "STO FOR LIFE" in my sig just states that I have a lifetime subscription. This has nothing to do with how I feel about the game, or how awesome it is. As I have stated before, my decision to purchase the lifetime subscription was purely financial. I plan to play this game for a few years, and paying for 16 months = life seemed the smart play since it was offered on the table.

That's here nor there however; I'm not blindly defending anything. Maybe all I'm saying, is why did the OP rush to the end? Honestly, that link that was posted a few posts back stated it would take roughly 80 hours to get to the end. I don't know about you, but my math skills tell me that's over 12 hours a day since Head Start began. Amazing too since the servers were down so intermittently over the weekend. Bottom line, I don't really have much sympathy for the fact that content was said to be released after the first week. It almost seems (no offense OP) like it was an attempt to see if they could get there before content was available just to whine about it.

I haven't tried PvP within STO yet. I'm only Lieutenant Grade 6; so my points of feeling like the game was rushed through to get to Admiral Grade 5 in 6 days is purely based on the fact that it's your own damn fault for rushing through the game.

It's very annoying too that today people always complain that there's "not enough content" in games that are released. Any console games MUST have DLC to 'extend the life of the game', otherwise if it's under 10 hours it's not worth the price. People really need to start playing games for how they are, and just having an open mind about how much work actually goes into making a game like this. (Not saying the bugs are excusable, but this game so far to me has been pretty fun)

Do not take me to be an STO Fanboy, because I'm most definitely the complete opposite. Maybe they should have released content at launch for endgame, but you cannot change the past.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Naevius wrote:
    If you've hit Admiral and are bored, here's something useful to do:
    Compile a list of all vendors in the game, with locations, what they sell, what they require.

Your name will live in stickydom forever...

Some good points here, some bad points, a lot of insults tossed back & forth, but this ... this guy's post is gold. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well, you just saved yourself $15/month. You finished the game in 6 days, you still have 24 days paid for, so maybe create an alt and play him/her without any twinking, and without the exp rush, just do the missions/explorations/patrols in order, follow the stories, etc.
    Not saying you did wrong, you just did wrong for *this* game. There is no end game content, so play again and enjoy the 'middle game'.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Flintlocke wrote:
    Seems that there is some decent endgame in the works

http://www.startrekonline.com/upcoming_content

That is what we are getting within the next two months. Three solo episodes and four five man "hard" episodes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bos22 wrote:

Yes HAHAHAHAHAHA

Beat me to it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lmao....I knew this was coming...what part of "this game was rushed and has no endgame yet" did you not understand before.. enjoy the rank you rushed to get.