test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An Admiral Speaks: No Endgame Content.... At All (Spoiler Alert)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Raids (Usually a brand new one every 3-4 months)
    Heroic Instances
    Daily Quests
    Arena
    Battlegrounds

Just off the top of my head.

Edit: You apologists are shooting yourselves in the foot. They will NEVER improve the game because of people like you.

Life protip: It's ok to enjoy something and still have and accept legitimate gripes about it.

And they didn't come out at start but have been added over time...and well...you had to hit the repeat button on them....same as space bar atm.

Heroic is no more different than normal instance. Daily quests..oh man..borrrrring if you have to do them over and over every day to progress. Arena...great to be owned by gear difference rather than skill. Battlegrounds where a bit of fun but how many did Wow have of all these at start? It's not much different as in other MMO's

Those things only made sense after a large playerbase hit max. You won't see that happening at present because the game has just started. So wheres the point in having it as priority at start?

If we continue to take WoW as example then how long hast it taken after launch until there where guilds ready to kick MC,BWL,ZG from the beginning till the end? And don't give me 1 week as an answer.

It took years until you had the amount of instances there are now in WoW...Arena wasn't present for a long time...and how many battlegrounds have been there since start? Daily quests wheren't around for a long time until they have been added. Heroic instances came with the first addon..took them long enough.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    During beta testing there were many many posts about content being too easy and xp too quick.

Alot of folks said that this was perfect and that it was too slow to get through levels 1 to 11.

So we ended up with an easymode game that has a low challange level.

Cryptic has said that it should take 80hours or so to max level at 3 hours a day thats 4weeks.
    At 10hours a day thats 8 days.
    12hours a day = 6days like the OP did

This low 80hours total is not sufficent to have a sustained game after 2 months you will have most toons at max level.

They should have had the guts to make it 4 times as long but they didn't.

To the OP I have no problem with you spazzing out and flying to max level.
    But you are not being realistic with your expectations.

The first 2 weeks in any lauch does not require the endgame content to be working those 2 weeks are to make sure the servers are stable(they are not ) and fix all previously missed bugs.

Once they get those solved (in some cases takes far longer) then the game can be called stable.

Then they will release endgame material since they now have the man hours to focus on any bugs or problems with this new stuff.

When mmo's launch they always do this I dont see why you are a bit surprised about it.

You need 1,250,000 credits to get all the tier 5 ships beside the one you have why not try to be the first one to do this

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    tbh i am also getting a bit fed up with the 'i know we promised x, we will get round to it eventually routine'. While i don't expect a 100% flawless game, after all who would know if you flew backward at a 22 degree angle with a toilet roll shoved in ur TRIBBLE you would be alble to warp to another sector you were not supposed to reach. I do, however, expect the game to be finished. Just because we have the internet and you can fire out patches does not mean you should use that to justify a shoddy product.

There are a lot of options for mmo's today and tho many are long in the tooth they are in good condition now. This game could end up like vanguard, finally a decent game but with far fewer subs because of a crappy release.

Still i should not have impulse bought the game, i should have done some more reseach. then i would have known ther was no open world pvp, only WAR style que'd instances. and the pve missions are, so far, beam down to planet and click on 5 glowing boxes or go get me 10 x items pls. I was i suppose expecting a little more from a game like STO, but then franchise games are often a let down.

I will i am sure get value for money out of time played over box cost but i do think unless some big changes are made this game will not last long before the novelty of flying a bop disapates as it is not a whole lot different from bridge commander, except you cant even fly from the bridge
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Congrats, you got max level in the game . . .

. . . and I barely got my second ship, lol.

Maybe start a Klingon character or an alt Federation character, and this time stop to smell the roses?

They'll have endgame content soon enough.
    But even the most neglectful farmer feeds his cows from time to time.

If a cow wakes up hungry in the middle of the night while the farmer is sleeping and eats all of the food, it'll have to wait for morning to get more.

They will feed the cows eventually, yes. Of that there is no doubt.

But they will do it on their own schedule - not on the schedule of somebody who eats up all of their content before everybody else does.

MOO!

"I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience." --Yoda, Star Wars
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NSTO wrote:
    To the OP I have no problem with you spazzing out and flying to max level.
    But you are not being realistic with your expectations.

The first 2 weeks in any lauch does not require the endgame content to be working those 2 weeks are to make sure the servers are stable(they are not ) and fix all previously missed bugs.

Fair enough. I just think people misunderstood what I meant by endgame. I'm not talking about huge space monsters to raid on exactly. I simply was referring to things that you could do that were worth your time. Crafting, Missions, 5 man instances. Anything. Within one day of maxing out I was literally stuck with nothing at all to do besides help out other people. That's fine, but damn... I wanna do stuff at my level too. Just a bit.

I've been around long enough to know there wont be hardcore raids and massive content. There should be, but there just never is in any MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fair enough. I just think people misunderstood what I meant by endgame. I'm not talking about huge space monsters to raid on exactly. I simply was referring to things that you could do that were worth your time. Crafting, Missions, 5 man instances. Anything. Within one day of maxing out I was literally stuck with nothing at all to do besides help out other people. That's fine, but damn... I wanna do stuff at my level too. Just a bit.

I've been around long enough to know there wont be hardcore raids and massive content. There should be, but there just never is in any MMO.

Although your initial OP came across as irrational, its good to see that you're prepared to admit fault :)

Anyhoo, I guess those at high level now will just have to be a little patient for a few weeks whilst we wait to see the Borg endgame instances. It IS coming, the devs have already told us. Its just not ready for release.

For now, I'd suggest you try leveling a different class, you never know, you might prefer it :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

As a captain 6 i'm with you OP. I have no clue why all these trolls are flaming you. Your concerns are legitimate... any MMO should have some end game content at launch even if its only enough to tide people over. This is a big issue lets hope cryptic roles something out.

To those of you flaming the OP for "rushing" i'm sorry but you fail at leveling, its CAKE in STO if you know what you're doing. Sure, OP put a bunch of effort into it to do it as fast as he did but its not super hard either.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    People can /point and /laugh at the OP for capping out in 6 days, but he's right. There's a difference between "content light endgame" like most all MMOs have at launch, and "content barren". There should be SOMETHING for people to do at max level...a fleet action, crafting...anything. I guarantee by Mar 1st, there will be a couple thousand players maxed out and cancelling.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    People can /point and /laugh at the OP for capping out in 6 days, but he's right. There's a difference between "content light endgame" like most all MMOs have at launch, and "content barren". There should be SOMETHING for people to do at max level...a fleet action, crafting...anything. I guarantee by Mar 1st, there will be a couple thousand players maxed out and cancelling.

Not true. They will drop a massive patch that will more or less make the game nigh impossible and cripple players before that happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Cos you think they will be cancelling due to lack of end game content?
    Are you really 100% sure that it won't be implememented before then considering the letters from the devs?

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/957

There maybe people cancelling in the next month, but it won't necessarily be because of lack of end game content. Let's keep to the facts and not resort to speculation shall we?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My condolences to the OP. You're not the only one either. There are about 15-20 Admirals who are also experiencing the same problem, but you were smart enough to come here and confirm what we pretty much thought about the endgame although I can't say anyone is surprised though. The klingons don't have content either as there is pretty much nothing for them to do right now but PvP. I dont think they even have an auction house yet. My heart really goes out to the lifers who blindy tossed Cryptic their cash with the expectation that they would 'somehow' make it better.

I myself know, and can reasonably predict, this game will epic fail within 6-8 months simply because CoH/V and CO didnt have end game content...and still doesn't have proper endgame raiding content. I can also predict epic failure because of the bad word of mouth out on the interwebs about STO in conjunction with Cryptics reputation as amatuers. Lets face it, they release STO as a hollow shell while simultaneously adding stuff to the C-store for us to buy?...wow...just...wow. SWTOR will TRIBBLE all over this game and leave behind nothing but an unfinished husk of a game and disgruntled hardcore trekkies with no choice but to play a star wars MMO...again Lol. Oh, except for the lifers but I wont say anything about them because they are a fickle bunch.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    doesn't matter how fast he did it, what matters is, there's going to be a bunch of Admirals in a few weeks with nothing to do. It should take a month at least to make admiral. But of course, it's reward over effort, and everyone wants little effort for lots of rewards.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tarka wrote: »
    Although your initial OP came across as irrational, its good to see that you're prepared to admit fault :)

Anyhoo, I guess those at high level now will just have to be a little patient for a few weeks whilst we wait to see the Borg endgame instances. For now, I'd suggest you try leveling a different class, you never know, you might prefer it :)

Yeah there's a fine line between irrational and emotional. I prefer the latter to describe my OP, but I'm not gonna split hairs. Wouldn't say I'm at fault though. I'm really tired of this industry treating us like little kids who don't know better. MMOs are the new cash cow of the gaming industry and they're coming out like crazy with everyone trying to cash in. But an unfinished product, no matter what field, is still unfinished. And until the consumers' standards for what is acceptable change, we will all suffer this fate over and over.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    n0vhpaa wrote: »
    Let this be a lesson. Dont rush through the game.

^^This.
    Dont get to end game so fast and maybe they would add more endgame by the time you got there.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game could be turn out to be a money printing press if they would only do it right :(
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah there's a fine line between irrational and emotional. I prefer the latter to describe my OP, but I'm not gonna split hairs. Wouldn't say I'm at fault though. I'm really tired of this industry treating us like little kids who don't know better. MMOs are the new cash cow of the gaming industry and they're coming out like crazy with everyone trying to cash in. But an unfinished product, no matter what field, is still unfinished. And until the consumers' standards for what is acceptable change, we will all suffer this fate over and over.

Well, I'm sure that publishers and devs alike would love to roll out an MMO that was 100% ready (note that I didn't use the word "finished) and required little bug fixing or content additions immediately at launch.

However, we don't live in such a perfect world. Devs try to get as much done as possible before a launch date. But sometimes its just not physically possible to do everything in time. There are many reasons why a particular launch date is set rather than putting it back. Money constraints is usually a very big factor. Investors is another.

In the end the devs have to do what they can. Sometimes, issues don't appear until after launch arrives. Ask Bill Gates why his products launch and then require multiple patches and he'll tell you a similar story.

Coming back to this game, in my opinion (which is trying to be objective), compared to other MMO launches, STO's launch state is not bad. It's not perfect either. But its better than others that released in the last few years. The game has a good foundation on which to build more content. Of course, such a viewpoint largely depends on whether you are prepared to get past the "instance" issue (which I am).
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    there is an expectation that when you reach end lvl (no matter how quickly) that there will be some content for you to do. Not meeting that expectation is a huge error in judgement, even if it is only another instance grind cut an paste from t1.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SWTOR will TRIBBLE all over this game and leave behind nothing but an unfinished husk of a game and disgruntled hardcore trekkies with no choice but to play a star wars MMO...again Lol. Oh, except for the lifers but I wont say anything about them because they are a fickle bunch.

hmm, do you do lottery tickets too?
    I was jsut thinking with your ability to see the future of things not even seen that you would be able to do lottery tickets

I have been talking to my friends and vented my displeasure at people bring up SW:ToR as the most amazing thing ever

when all that has been seen of it is a video of a cutscene ... oh and some combat (that looked as generic as every other MMO on the market)

Bear in mind people were saying the exact same thing above about this game, hope about you just hop off the Hype train and take a breather
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Cos you think they will be cancelling due to lack of end game content?
    Are you really 100% sure that it won't be implememented before then considering the letters from the devs?

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/957

There maybe people cancelling in the next month, but it won't necessarily be because of lack of end game content. Let's keep to the facts and not resort to speculation shall we?

This sounds like the infamous "45 day" update, which may or may not actually happen in 45 days. It's not going to do people who are going to be cancelling out of boredom in 30 days much good.

Of course people will quit for reasons other than being maxed out and bored after 30 days. I wasn't talking about them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Badem wrote: »
    hmm, do you do lottery tickets too?
    I was jsut thinking with your ability to see the future of things not even seen that you would be able to do lottery tickets

I have been talking to my friends and vented my displeasure at people bring up SW:ToR as the most amazing thing ever

when all that has been seen of it is a video of a cutscene ... oh and some combat (that looked as generic as every other MMO on the market)

Bear in mind people were saying the exact same thing above about this game, hope about you just hop off the Hype train and take a breather

One thing I've learnt whilst playing MMOs: it doesnt matter what your history is, you can still mess up your latest product. Just look at Richard Garriot (UO and then Tabula Rasa) and Brad Mcquaid (EQ and then Vanguard) for examples. Of course, on the flip side, you have Blizzard who came from a single player game market just as Bioware is doing.

The point is: Bioware maybe good at what they did before. But that doesn't guarantee success in the future.

So, in the end, no one knows for sure until the game launches.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im sorry but your an idiot as you seem to be unable to read as they have said that end game content will be coming out in the next few weeks so try to read the news once in a while and its your own fault as theres plenty of story in the game to go for a while.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    well, its the truth, there really is no content AT ALL after you hit admiral 1 ( ! )

no quests, no fleet actions, no group missions, nothing to do than explore zensas expanse ( which is on a 30 min cooldown timer) and the deep encounter you already did as a captain...

given... to get admiral that fast you need to play a lot, but even the casual gamer should be there in a week at most.

cryptic is going to be under huge pressure to come up with new content or this game really becomes a buy and forget show. i really dont see how i subscribe to a game that is far from finished and doesnt offer any endgame content at all.

the game was released 2 months too early.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The OP isn't the only person to feel this way, I already have full badge gear and I could buy every ship right now if I wanted to but I don't see the reason. There are dozens of Admiral's now and 100+ players lvl 40+, it won't be long before the forms are filled with lvl45 players complaining that there is nothing to do. I don't mind waiting on endgame instances/fleet actions, but it would be nice to have a sector with deep space encounters that have lvl45+ mobs so we could at least have something to farm for drops. The game comes with 30 days free if there isn't something to do at the end of those 30 days I won't renew its that simple and I know I am not the only person to feel this way.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another lesson is don't underestimate your player base and put out enough content to last only a week.

Outliers are not your fan-base. That you think you represent the norm is rather hilarious.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, I'm sure that publishers and devs alike would love to roll out an MMO that was 100% ready (note that I didn't use the word "finished) and required little bug fixing or content additions immediately at launch.

However, we don't live in such a perfect world. Devs try to get as much done as possible before a launch date. But sometimes its just not physically possible to do everything in time. There are many reasons why a particular launch date is set rather than putting it back. Money constraints is usually a very big factor. Investors is another.

In the end the devs have to do what they can. Sometimes, issues don't appear until after launch arrives. Ask Bill Gates why his products launch and then require multiple patches and he'll tell you a similar story.

Coming back to this game, in my opinion (which is trying to be objective), compared to other MMO launches, STO's launch state is not bad. It's not perfect either. But its better than others that released in the last few years.

I agree with your post on some aspects. It could be postulated that Cryptic loss valuable time developing the game in the proper manner because Perpetual used that time TRIBBLE it up (maybe, we'll never know for sure). But then, all you have to do is look at the past Cryptic MMOs and there is a track record of unfinished, buggy releases where people got to max level in a few days only to experience nothing there. Even WoW and , dare I say, EQ2 took a month or so to reach max level giving the Devs some time to get something endgame-wise in there.

I think the suits who own STO were faced with a hard deadline, some of which was depleted already by perpetual, and had to make a decision of whether it was even feasible to still get a STO MMO out at all. Cryptic shows up and pitches their model and suddenly it was feasible and they got it and released it. I will give them that. Their model is excellent for pushing something out the door fast, but what that something is is not acceptable to most veterans of the MMO community.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really have no goals at all anymore.

I think this statement in and of itself is very telling.

If you made Admiral in this short span of time (assuming you didn't use an exploit, which is possible), no game will ever be satisfying to you. You need to work on more goals than being the first to reach a high level in a video game.

I mean, I'm out of work, with little else to do and I'm barely Lt. 5.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    BlackWindx wrote: »
    im sorry but your an idiot as you seem to be unable to read as they have said that end game content will be coming out in the next few weeks so try to read the news once in a while and its your own fault as theres plenty of story in the game to go for a while.

Where is this post about end game content? Sorry but the search function here is a bit weak.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Haha ... You expected endgame content in an mmorpg! We all know such a thing is a relic of the past. The last mmo that had some endgame content early on actually became the most famous game in the world. Honestly... Who wants that?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aior wrote:
    Where is this post about end game content? Sorry but the search function here is a bit weak.

http://www.startrekonline.com/upcoming_content

It took me all of 5 seconds to find it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2010