Install Arc
Options

Xbox 360 Controller Keybinds

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    InvaderQ wrote:
    This was brought up earlier, but has anyone had any luck yet with binding InteractWindow specifically? The best testing ground for this is at an Anomalous Reading on the Ground, unlike corpse loot it will not go away over time. However, be sure to not actually loot the reading or it will go away ;) just hit cancel when the loot window comes up.

Here is the unacceptable behavior of binding it to a button:
    When in "combat mode" InteractWindow will not work with a button on the X360 Gamepad, you will get the window popped up (that says on the bottom Click or hit F) but will be unable to do anything unless you click elsewhere, jump, melee attack. "Combat mode" can be recognized by the "Scan Anomalous Reading" button being shown in the "Low Priority" fly-out (whether or not the prompt window is also at center screen). You will also not be able to use a Tribble, so if your Tribble is greyed out in your tray, you're still in "combat mode". If you're not in combat anymore you can test this by doing a melee attack, you will see the message move from center screen to the LP area.

Once the game clears you from combat mode, InteractWindow as a mapped X360 Gamepad button will work normally. In the example of an AR, it will scan the reading and bring up the resource loot window.

This can be recognized as "abnormal behavior" because even with a re-mapping in place, the F key will scan the AR whether you are in combat mode or not. Again, to test this one can just do a melee attack and then instantly hit F, it will scan and bring up the loot window. Repeat by doing a melee attack and then instantly hit your InteractWindow button on the Gamepad and it will not work.

--Has anyone had success mapping InteractWindow on the X360 Gamepad where it works exactly as F key does?

It works on mine.....work being loosely translated as it functions marginally. I have it mapped to the up button on my directional pad. It sometimes functions right off the bat when I press it otherwise I've found I have to tap my camera joystick (My right joystick) up while I am hitting the direction pad up and it works. I'm not certain why it is related, but I've had numerous functional successes doing it this way.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I suspect that what's happening is that like I said above, it is *not* functioning properly while in combat mode and while you're fiddling around with your up stick, you eventually leave combat mode at which point the remap functions properly. If you could test as I stated above, that'd be helpful but I'm fairly confident that you're running into the same problem without recognizing it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    InvaderQ wrote:
    I suspect that what's happening is that like I said above, it is *not* functioning properly while in combat mode and while you're fiddling around with your up stick, you eventually leave combat mode at which point the remap functions properly. If you could test as I stated above, that'd be helpful but I'm fairly confident that you're running into the same problem without recognizing it.

Sounds reasonable, however, I've had the same experience with "Collect X" on planets that have had no enemies.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does this only work with a 360? I got a PS2 style Logitech but Im having camera issues. Is there a guide for that or am I gonna have to find a placw to get a 360 one?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i have a question i have a jostik xbox 360, if i use this configurations from this post, when i use? in space battle? worth it or too complicated?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does this only work with a 360? I got a PS2 style Logitech but Im having camera issues.

what camera problems are you having, specifically?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fedeb wrote:
    i have a question i have a jostik xbox 360, if i use this configurations from this post, when i use? in space battle? worth it or too complicated?

I consider the space controls to be even better than the ground controls!

I know it seems biased because I mapped them, but I would never consider going back to keyboard after playing with the 360 pad. The layout chart seems complicated when you first look at it, but it is organized in a way that is very easy to learn and makes sense when you actually play with it.

remember, you can always use the /bind files as a base, and change any of the button layouts to anything you want...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    what camera problems are you having, specifically?

I cant figure out how to keybind the camera control (rmb+mouse direction) to a keyboard key combination so that I can then re-key it as a key combination in Keypadder to use the right thumbstick to control the camera. This creates the issue of the camera staying staring straight when the ship turns, so I get to watch my ship turn and cant follow the ship. I WAS quick fixing this with keybinding the "reset camera key" but thats just damn annoying
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i have a problem i dont undestand how configurate the xbox controles ist a complex explication....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I cant figure out how to keybind the camera control (rmb+mouse direction) to a keyboard key combination so that I can then re-key it as a key combination in Keypadder to use the right thumbstick to control the camera.

I assume you're talking about space controls? I had the same problem originally... the answer lies in the control tab in the user interface. There's a pulldown option that lets you select the camera type. Choose "free camera" default is "target camera" I think.

can't remember which list it's in, but poke around and you will find it. Once you set this to free camera, the right stick WILL controll the camera in a freelook style.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fedeb wrote:
    i have a problem i dont undestand how configurate the xbox controles ist a complex explication....

see my post on page 10. it describes the 3 step process to use the files, and has them attached.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here are my latest keybind files.

installing
    1. copy the files into C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
    2. IN GAME use the chat window and type: /bind_load_file x360_spaceREV4
    3. repeat for the second set of bindings (x360_groundREV4)

NOTE that some bindings have changed from my original jpegs posted on pg3. I will update for reference tomorrow.

i dowload , copy andi tape /bind... for space then enter, and then nathing happend a try the jostik but nothing...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ya, im on camera free look, but the camera doesnt do anything unless I bind mouse look to a key, and I cant figure out how to bimd one key to four directions for the joystick. like there are four bind slots for the four directions for the joystick to go in, and it wants each one to be a different key.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fedeb wrote:
    i dowload , copy andi tape /bind... for space then enter, and then nathing happend a try the jostik but nothing...

be certain you are putting the files in the correct location. it has to be very specific. then, be sure you are using the exact syntax (command line typing) as shown in the step. it is easy to make a mistake here and the file will not load correctly!

/bind_load_file x360_groundREV4 (enter)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think these binds are great. They're much easier than the keyboard and though they may seem complicated at first, you can get used to it very quickly. I used Ray's binds, changed a few binds to better suit my playing style and can't imagine going back to the keyboard. I was having some difficulty at first, but after several attempts I was able to get it set up correctly. If you're having trouble, just keep trying and posting your questions. Graet job Ray. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i have in this directory C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\star trek online\Star Trek Online\Live ,,is change anything o it supust to work??
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's the correct location for the file. Now once you're in game, in the chat window enter the following:

/bind load file x360_spaceRev4.txt

then press enter and it should work. However, make sure that you type the file name (the green text above) exactly as you have it saved into the location you mentioned in your last post.

If you type it incorrectly, then it will not work. Make sure you type it exactly the same as it appears in the Live file. Then you must repeat the process for the ground file.

EDIT: *Just noticed that your file is through Steam. I'm not using Steam and therefore cannot verify that it still works, but I imagine it should.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Like xpadder wants to key up, down, right, left on the left joystick to w, a, s, d, to control the ship directions. However, given that the camera control is rmb + a mouse moved direction, I cant figure out how to get xpadder to bind rmb with a movement direction. I had figured out how to do it sorta as using the right joy pressed down to be the rmb and the joystick as the movement but thats cumbersome and hard.

Trying to use the Logitech configuration tool that comes with the gamepad, that tool wont record mouse clicks as input for the Commands. Anyone know how to get it to do this?? Here, my issue is Im trying to get the Commans program to record Right click to bind the Command to the joystick but it doesnt seem to "see" the mouse buttons OR movement.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Like xpadder wants to key up, down, right, left on the left joystick to w, a, s, d, to control the ship directions. However, given that the camera control is rmb + a mouse moved direction, I cant figure out how to get xpadder to bind rmb with a movement direction. I had figured out how to do it sorta as using the right joy pressed down to be the rmb and the joystick as the movement but thats cumbersome and hard.

Trying to use the Logitech configuration tool that comes with the gamepad, that tool wont record mouse clicks as input for the Commands. Anyone know how to get it to do this?? Here, my issue is Im trying to get the Commans program to record Right click to bind the Command to the joystick but it doesn't seem to "see" the mouse buttons OR movement.

I attempted to use xpadder, but I could never get it to work right. Camera controls were always off. I think the issue is that the STO is partially compatible with certain controllers, so this causes conflicts with xpadder
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    @ great_milenko

I don't really have any knowledge about xpadder or logitech gamepads. but you can try this thread, as I think it has to do with joysticks/generic inputs for the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here are my latest keybind files.

installing
    1. copy the files into C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
    2. IN GAME use the chat window and type: /bind_load_file x360_spaceREV4
    3. repeat for the second set of bindings (x360_groundREV4)

NOTE that some bindings have changed from my original jpegs posted on pg3. I will update for reference tomorrow.

Hey everyone. I am knew to the STO world and am using a 360 controller (wired). I have been back and forth through these threads and finally am using the REV4 binds. Everything seems to work fine except my promary fire button doesnt seem to um fire anything at all lol. Thats the Xb on the REV4 layout. Any dieas on how I might be able to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks by the way for sharing your binds with us 360 controller using people lol. It saves us alot of time and makes the game more enjoyable for me at least! By the way...in end I am Lurion@Lothair. Any help is appreciated with this issue! Thanks again in advance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    in rev 4 of the binds Xb is actually "usetrayslot0 3" (I think). this is (in my setup) science officer skill, jam targeting sensors. (blue for SCIENCE!!! [echo!])

fire phasers is actually right trigger (joy8) and torps are shift (joy7 - left trigger) and joy8.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So I broke down and bought a wired controller. Now we're in business... sorta.

Raymond, you're my hero right now, and I hope you can help me. I'm using your Rev4's and while I haven't bothered to test the Ground, I want to tweak the space a bit. I have set up my brain to work with the 1: 1-8 tray and I'd like those bindings set to Joy9-12 and Joy7+Joy9-12.

I've altered the text file directly, creating my own "REV5" and yet I find that the keybinds are not working.

1. Is it not possible to directly alter the text file and then load the file in game?
    2. Is UseTraySlot0 not the 1: hotkey tray with skills 1-8? Am I even mixing up terms here?
    3. Plz help me good sir.

Hutch :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    1. Yes you can alter the text file and then reload it in game with the /bind_load_file command.
    2. UseTraySlot0 0 will be the first slot.
    3. Too late.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It isn't recognizing any of the changes I've made. Ab is always as Raymond set it, regardless of how many changes I make. I wanted to make Start button the "InteractWindow" button, and it doesn't do it. None of the changes are taking place, so I can't say if I've got the right terms in.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The line to have in your config to use start button for interactwindow is.

Joy1 "InteractWindow"

You need to save the text file and load it again in game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've attached my bindings. These are simply not being recognized. A lot of it is what Raymond used, I just made adjustments, hence why the naming convention is the same.

None of Joy9-12 work, nor does Joy1, and I haven't tested the others.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This looks ok ish ..
    The syntax for trayexec should be

"+TrayExecByTray 0 X"

I dont think you want what you have hotkey wise though.

You want Ab to do what? If you want Xb as slot 1 then Ab to be 2 and Bbb to be 3 and Yb to be 4 then

Xb "+TrayExecByTray 0 0"
    Ab "+TrayExecByTray 0 1"
    Bb "+TrayExecByTray 0 2"
    Yb "+TrayExecByTray 0 3"

I dont know what you mean by Joy 9-12 though. Which buttons are you referring to?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Joy9-12 is just alternate name for Ab-Yb as per OP.

So I've done this:

Ab "+TrayExecByTray 0 0"
    Xb "+TrayExecByTray 0 1"
    Yb "+TrayExecByTray 0 3"
    Bb "+TrayExecByTray 0 4"
    joy7+Ab "+TrayExecByTray 0 5"
    joy7+Xb "+TrayExecByTray 0 6"
    joy7+Yb "+TrayExecByTray 0 7"
    joy7+Bb "+TrayExecByTray 0 8"

Will that assign the Tray 1 buttons to my controller? Basically I want to replace pressing 1-8 to activate my various powers with axyb for 1-4 and trigger+axyb for 5-8. This way, if I want to change my powers in those slots, it won't require me remapping.

Is this awesome?
    jadel wrote: »
    This looks ok ish ..
    The syntax for trayexec should be

"+TrayExecByTray 0 X"

I dont think you want what you have hotkey wise though.

You want Ab to do what? If you want Xb as slot 1 then Ab to be 2 and Bbb to be 3 and Yb to be 4 then

Xb "+TrayExecByTray 0 0"
    Ab "+TrayExecByTray 0 1"
    Bb "+TrayExecByTray 0 2"
    Yb "+TrayExecByTray 0 3"

I dont know what you mean by Joy 9-12 though. Which buttons are you referring to?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    None of the changes made a difference in game. This is confusing.
This discussion has been closed.