What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

System Requirements

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i exceed minimum and reccomended with my laptop.

Then again, with 3 graphics cards, dual core and 4 gb of ram...never was any worry.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cool! haven't played any new games of late so was curious. But even if its to slow, i will find a way to play it no matter what!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kitsunami wrote: »
    i exceed minimum and reccomended with my laptop.

Then again, with 3 graphics cards, dual core and 4 gb of ram...never was any worry.

There is no such thing as three graphics cards on a laptop.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I knew i would needt o upgrade my tower, so i saved up for it, wouldnt you know im getting my new tower in today the day after they announce the requirements?
    quad core amd phenom2 955, 8G ram, geforce 275 w/ 1792 on board. Just waiting for it to show up at the door
    :)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Based on the vids Ive seen I'm impressed that they fit these kinds of graphics inside those requirements.

Of course I'm not worrying. 2.3ghz Quad core, 4G's of ram and a 9800 GT.....
    The sys-reqs never kept me up at night :p

But I do feel a happy warm feeling inside for those who were holding their breath and can now breathe easy. :D

WooHoo! 3.0ghz Duo Core, 4G Ram and a GeForce GTX 285 here, I'll be playing this at max settings just like CO to see all the glory this game has to offer. God I love 60FPS :D
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Should be a smooth ride then.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    WooHoo! 3.0ghz Duo Core, 4G Ram and a GeForce GTX 285 here, I'll be playing this at max settings just like CO to see all the glory this game has to offer. God I love 60FPS :D

Depends on your resolution. ;) A 285 at super high resolutions (2560x1600) or triple-monitor resolutions (3840x1024 or 5040x1050) would stress out your 285. You'd need SLI, crossfire, or a dual-GPU card to get 60FPS on high resolutions with STO. Even then, anything near or over 4 million pixels won't be able to have all settings up to max and still get 60FPS. :D

There's a reason those insane modders and overclockers run triple SLI/Crossfire with overclocked and water-cooled video cards. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the sepcs raise a question in my mind, hopefully there are some devs watching that could clarify.

i noticed BOTH the min and rec specs call for a 2 core proc this would lead me to believe that the core game engine is indeed multithreaded (thats good for those not fluent in geek). My question is: WILL THOSE OF US RUNNING MORE THAN 2 CORES (3,4, SOON TO BE 6 OR 8) SEE ANY PERFORMANCE GAINS OVER A DUAL CORE RIG? is the code for the game engine written for more than 2 threads?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No problem here on my PC, great! ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Awesome. My i7 system with 4gb of ram and a 4850 card should play this at high res no problem. Thanks Cryptic for actually making this engine efficient.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is my nvidea geforce 8400 GS good enough for this game??

I hope so I have a 8400M GS
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The system requirements are odd, especially concerning the graphics card requirements. Although I am planning on purchasing a new computer in 6 months, I am concerned if my laptop will run it. Any ideas?

System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5ghz
    3gb ram
    Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS (256mb, 400mhz, 16x pci express)
    Vista home premium 64bit, but will upgrade to 7 home premium 64bit.

Thanks for your input, very worried about this as I have pre-ordered the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can run AoC on high and hit around 45-50 fps, this game should be no problem...
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmm. Looks like I might have to break down and go to the dark side. Maybe a PC desk top with dual monitors.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    they said they would make STO available to many systems and they delivered! Anything less than 10 years old can run STO! (I think)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rinkon wrote: »
    Hmm. Looks like I might have to break down and go to the dark side. Maybe a PC desk top with dual monitors.

Vista is the dark side, windows 7, is the gray side...
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am a big fan of Star Trek, but I hope to vanish Windows OS from my computers by february. It's very sad for me that won't be a version for Linux.:(
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sweet! Looks like I'm all set for the game then. heehee
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    grrr...... double damnit gonna have too upgrade my pc and am broke as hell atm.

Anyone got $600 they can lend me. :p
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Craeshen wrote: »
    grrr...... double damnit gonna have too upgrade my pc and am broke as hell atm.

Anyone got $600 they can lend me. :p

Sure, if you sign papers to invest in a fantastic timeshare opportunity later! <evil laugh> ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sure, if you sign papers to invest in a fantastic timeshare opportunity later! <evil laugh> ;)

rofl........

For those curious about my system be prepared too laugh it is ancient.

Proc: Amd Athlon 64 3200+ oc'd too 2.3ghz
    Ram: 4gb of kingston hyper x+ (older hyper x though)
    Gfx card: Ati Radeon X1650pro

Basic system yes boogle it is old but no money atm for a new one.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There's always the Xbox360 version in development and CO is already done but MS is dragging their feet, they can't stand the idea of not being in control. They were given no choice by the FFXI developers, It was either that or NO relationship with Square at all.

Zadric wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Star Trek, but I hope to vanish Windows OS from my computers by february. It's very sad for me that won't be a version for Linux.:(
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ussequinox wrote: »
    The system requirements are odd, especially concerning the graphics card requirements. Although I am planning on purchasing a new computer in 6 months, I am concerned if my laptop will run it. Any ideas?

System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5ghz
    3gb ram
    Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS (256mb, 400mhz, 16x pci express)
    Vista home premium 64bit, but will upgrade to 7 home premium 64bit.

Thanks for your input, very worried about this as I have pre-ordered the game.

If you're wanting performance, then I'd avoid laptops and stick with a desktop and they are ALWAYS faster with like features due to cooling issues. If you're just looking for portability, the system you describe will run the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I just wonder if this game will suport SLI or Crossfire.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Originally Posted by GoldenSpandex
    ussequinox wrote: »
    I hope so I have a 8400M GS

Well, as both cards are better than the minimum specified 7950, that'd be an easy yes.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's wrong, the minimum spec requirement is a Geforce 7950 which has a 256bit memory interface, and the 8400 series has a 64-bit memory interface. The fill rate isn't going to be fast enough.

That 8400 is going to feel fairly sluggish running STO.

Jean_Deaux wrote:
    Originally Posted by GoldenSpandex

Well, as both cards are better than the minimum specified 7950, that'd be an easy yes.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well that's good news. I run Dual Core 3.0ghz with 2GB RAM, and a 9800 GTX+ 1GB card. So that should do well enough for me. Champions runs on all high settings all right... so it should be ok with this. I would imagine that the minimum specs will tone down a little bit (whether they officially change them or not) as they improve the games stability and performance.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Darn, I got a GeForce 7900 GS; which, according to my research, was the gimped budget alternative to the 7950. Not going to be good enough :(

Ah well, would have had to replace it eventually I suppose. Can pick up a 9600GT for not all that much (well, 'not much' compared to the likes of an 8800 anyways).
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Depends on your resolution. ;) A 285 at super high resolutions (2560x1600) or triple-monitor resolutions (3840x1024 or 5040x1050) would stress out your 285. You'd need SLI, crossfire, or a dual-GPU card to get 60FPS on high resolutions with STO. Even then, anything near or over 4 million pixels won't be able to have all settings up to max and still get 60FPS. :D

There's a reason those insane modders and overclockers run triple SLI/Crossfire with overclocked and water-cooled video cards. ;)

I run at 1600x1200...I was contimplating putting my spare GTX285 in my PC but I wasn't sure..since I've never run two graphics cards before.

I'm still kind of a PC noob.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I would just get a 9800GT for a bit more, have the same capability as a 8800 and know the game is always going to run smoothly on that.

But a 9600GT will do fine in a pinch I'm sure for the life of STO.

Manx wrote: »
    Darn, I got a GeForce 7900 GS; which, according to my research, was the gimped budget alternative to the 7950. Not going to be good enough :(

Ah well, would have had to replace it eventually I suppose. Can pick up a 9600GT for not all that much (well, 'not much' compared to the likes of an 8800 anyways).
This discussion has been closed.