Minimum: 1.8 GHz
    You Have: 2.00 GHz
    PASS

RAM
    Minimum: 1 GB
    You Have: 3.7 GB
    PASS

OS
    Minimum: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 (Build 7600)
    PASS

Video Card
    Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    You Have: ATI display adapter (0x9712)
    PASS
    Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Video RAM 256 MB 1.9 GB
    Hardware T&L Yes Yes
    Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
    Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

Sound Card
    Minimum: Yes
    You Have: Realtek High Definition Audio
    PASS

Free Disk Space
    Minimum: 8 GB Free Disk Space
    You Have: 188.2 GB

What about these stats for this laptop I'm on? It said it met the minimum requirements, but not the maximum ones, but is it still better then the desktop unit I posted earlier?
  • Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    My system is running STO fine on Radeon X1250 Graphics, which is below the minimum required. All the other system requirements are at or above recommended level (well above minimum). Resolution isn't great, but the game works without any glitches.

Did the developers overstate system requirements?

Have I just been luck so far?
    edited January 2010
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz
    ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB
    4Gb Memory

Yay or nay on playability? Also, what settings would be recommended, performance wise?
    edited January 2010
    Arden187 wrote: »
    A geforce 9800 will handle this right?

looking to upgrade to one.

A 9800 GT, GTX, GTX+, or GX2 will run STO smoothly. :)
    Ashki wrote:
    You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 (Build 7600)
    You Have: ATI display adapter (0x9712)

What about these stats for this laptop I'm on? It said it met the minimum requirements, but not the maximum ones, but is it still better then the desktop unit I posted earlier?

That didn't tell us the model number of the video "card". We need the model number of the GPU installed in your laptop.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:
    My system is running STO fine on Radeon X1250 Graphics, which is below the minimum required. All the other system requirements are at or above recommended level (well above minimum). Resolution isn't great, but the game works without any glitches.

No, the X1250 is horribly slow. You probably have all settings turned down, at a lower gaming resolution, and most likely low framerates during graphically intensive areas.

Have you monitored your FPS?
    edited January 2010
    Osiris1855 wrote: »
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz
    ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB
    4Gb Memory

The CPU is great, along with the memory. No problems there as that CPU should run STO very smoothly.

Your video card is fine and will run on moderate to high settings at most resolutions. :)
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:

Resloution isnt great? what else did you leave out, like what settings can your card handle, is it on max? or medium? or low? please specifiy so anyone who has that card / wants a new card can know how it runs to the max ty. and btw anyone who is getting any kind of fun on a game like this with low settings you are missing out.
    edited January 2010
    That didn't tell us the model number of the video "card". We need the model number of the GPU installed in your laptop.

Where do I check this now? Cause those specifications where from that Systems Lab page.
    edited January 2010
    The CPU is great, along with the memory. No problems there as that CPU should run STO very smoothly.

Your video card is fine and will run on moderate to high settings at most resolutions. :)

Thanks man, appreciate the help.
    edited January 2010
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I got from the device manager under the thing I think I'd need to check.

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200. Does that sound right?
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Where do I check this now? Cause those specifications where from that Systems Lab page.

You can get that from a DXDiag report.
    Ashki wrote:
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I got from the device manager under the thing I think I'd need to check.

AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200. Does that sound right?

Yup, the 4200 is a laptop GPU. Unfortunately, it's very weak/slow and will "run" STO, but at lowest settings, with a lower resolution. In other words, it won't be an enjoyable experience unless you can enjoy laggy gameplay.
    edited January 2010
    No, the X1250 is horribly slow. You probably have all settings turned down, at a lower gaming resolution, and most likely low framerates during graphically intensive areas.

Haven't - don't know how.

I probably don't know what I'm missing, but most of it would probably be lost on my anyway. I'm just surprise it will run and please that I don't have to go out and buy a power supply and card. There's no noticable lag.

Since it does run on an X1250 I'm wondering if a cheap upgrade ($70 card that doesn't require a new power supply, but still doesn't meet specs) will make it a great deal better.
    edited January 2010
    You can get that from a DXDiag report.

Yup, the 4200 is a laptop GPU. Unfortunately, it's very weak/slow and will "run" STO, but at lowest settings, with a lower resolution. In other words, it won't be an enjoyable experience unless you can enjoy laggy gameplay.

Well, at the moment, thats the best I can do until I can get a better desktop unit, so it will have to do.
    edited January 2010
    STObee wrote:

I probably don't know what I'm missing, but most of it would probably be lost on my anyway. I'm just surprise it will run and please that I don't have to go out and buy a power supply and card. There's no noticable lag.

Since it does run on an X1250 I'm wondering if a cheap upgrade ($70 card that doesn't require a new power supply, but still doesn't meet specs) will make it a great deal better.

Yup, a $60 to $70 card will run STO just fine on moderate settings at most resolutions, and high on others.

Good values right now are the 9600 GSO and 4650 to 4670 for that price range.
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Well, at the moment, thats the best I can do until I can get a better desktop unit, so it will have to do.

Yup. Laptops are not really upgradable much, especially for value-line laptops or retail models sold in stores.
    edited January 2010
    Yup. Laptops are not really upgradable much, especially for value-line laptops or retail models sold in stores.

Well, I don't know if that was a value laptop, but as I said, it'll have to do. Just a question, will it run at least better then the desktop unit I posted earlier though?
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Well, I don't know if that was a value laptop, but as I said, it'll have to do. Just a question, will it run at least better then the desktop unit I posted earlier though?

If it had a 4200 GPU it was a value line laptop and not a workstation laptop or gaming laptop.
    edited January 2010
    If it had a 4200 GPU it was a value line laptop and not a workstation laptop or gaming laptop.

Well, the people who bought it didn't have my gaming in mind when they did. As long as it somewhat runs I'd be happy until I can get a proper desktop unit.
    edited January 2010
    Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post

STObee wrote:

Run Fraps.
    edited January 2010
    I just PM you.
    edited January 2010
    I just PM you.

Ug........
    The mail service is currently down.
    edited January 2010
    Ug........
    edit..............................
    edited January 2010
    Do you want a Del Taco code?

PM system back up now... and I saw your PM and others now. Replied. Thanks!
    edited January 2010
    PM system back up now... and I saw your PM and others now. Replied. Thanks!

Just PM you. Mail is down again so let me know if you get it or not.
    edited January 2010
    Just PM you. Mail is down again so let me know if you get it or not.

It's up now. I didn't get anything.
    edited January 2010
    It's up now. I didn't get anything.

Try now................
    edited January 2010
    Try now................

Thanks again for the help, WK! :D I sent you a PM, but I got it this time.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks again for the help, WK! :D I sent you a PM, but I got it this time.

Great, Time to play Mass Effect 2 for the next 2 days. :D
    edited January 2010
    I'm still kinda annoyed that my 4200 card might give me trouble, but after reading some of the post around the other areas, that might not be a bad thing since I could wait a couple of months, let the game devlope more and then come in.
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    I'm still kinda annoyed that my 4200 card might give me trouble, but after reading some of the post around the other areas, that might not be a bad thing since I could wait a couple of months, let the game devlope more and then come in.

don't worry about the complainers... the game is really fun.
This discussion has been closed.