test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

System Requirements

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The GT230 is pretty weak. Not much, if any at all, improvement over the 9400M in your Mac.

I wouldn't recomment anything under a Geforce 9600GT, GT240 (and even that's bottom of barrel), Radeon 3670 or Radeon 4650 as minimums for best results.
    edited January 2010
    The GT230 is pretty weak. Not much, if any at all, improvement over the 9400M in your Mac.

I wouldn't recomment anything under a Geforce 9600GT, GT240 (and even that's bottom of barrel), Radeon 3670 or Radeon 4650 as minimums for best results.

I agree.

While people would be able to "play" STO on lower video cards, the experience will not be enjoyable unless you don't mind turning down most settings, playing at a lower resolution, and/or choppy/laggy gameplay.
    edited January 2010
    Is the nVidia GF310 a better card?
    edited January 2010
    Zhin wrote:
    ***Disc: 6X DVD-ROM***

And that should be used for?... :p

DVD player speed = X6. This game will be on a Dual Layer (9.4GB) DVD. So you will need a DVD-ROM.
    edited January 2010
    Wanted to get some thoughts from some of you to see if my system is up to spec.

Pentium D 3.20 Ghz, (This one is not a dual core CPU)
    3 GBs Ram
    GForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB
    XP Pro

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that my CPU isn't a dual core, it should be fast enough. But wanted to hear from some of you guys.
    It may work on the CPU but it will a laggy.
    edited January 2010
    queux wrote: »
    Is the nVidia GF310 a better card?

The GF310 is a low end OEM graphic card. It's for watching HD movies and playing non demanding 3D games like Wow or SIMS. Not good for demanding games STO.
    edited January 2010
    Not having an AGP or PCI-E slot is nearly fatal for this games performance. I said above that it is CPU and GPU friendly, but that's with at least having decent bandwidth between those devices. Not even having an AGP slot kills your chances. PCI video cards are lame ducks for gaming. PCI-E or AGP are your only hope.
    Ditto :D..............................
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys I read this post and discovered I have the exact same problem.

I purchased a XP Media Center m7060n with Intel Pentium 4 3.0 MHz with Hyper Threading
    Not less than 5 years ago and it seems it’s already obsolete?!?!?!?!.
    ---- 200GB HD AND 1GB DDR2 RAM, NO Avg slot, Only PCI, and a measly 300 wt power supply.
    Also the MOBO can only to upgrade to same chipset to 4.0 GHz (not dual core)

I soon as I heard STO was launching, I was ready to buy a GB EVGA Geforce 9400 and max out my RAM to 4GB at newegg.com for $195 bucks and then the post and the response from cyper_nemo and you can imagine how defeated I feel.

I was just wondering what I should do now?

Buying new Computer for me is an extremely labor intensive processes. I WAS planning to get the collector edition and a lifetime subscription ($79 + $239). But I can't do that with I am have to purchase new PC before Feb 2nd.

I am tempted to just up do the upgrades above, just to see if cyper_nemo is incorrect
    (The Geek Squad guys say an Intel P4 HT will work just fine)

I am also tempted to just to go to CompUSA, Best Buy and buy an open box discount PC to save a couple hundred but I still will have to get a Video card.

Lastly, should I just buy the game and the life time sub and not play it and the wait for 4 paychecks to purchase a new pc?

Thanks for listen... What should I you do?

Hail frequencies are open.

Paul
    The-merchant-prince
    See if you can get a open beta key. So you can try the game out.
    http://www.startrekonline.com/openbeta
    edited January 2010
    Just for reference, I'm playing STO on a Core i7 860 with Turbo mode enabled (cranks cores speed up to 3.46Ghz without overclocking, all stock function) and this game barely even shows up as using any CPU resources. I'm seeing around 25% usage on Core 0, 10% usage on varying other cores (jumping from cores 1 to 7 depending on when your looking). So, when the total of 8 visable cores for Windows is totalled up, we're looking at around 10% total CPU usage at peak.

When you have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores for Windows to keep track of, and only 2 of the cores look like anything are going on them from this game (not counting OS used resources), even 25% on one core and 10% on another ends up adding up to a tiny amount of CPU usage.

This game is HIGHLY CPU friendly. It's highly GPU friendly too. 8x Antialiasing looks DARNED good and runs very smoothly on a single Radeon 5870 1Gb DDR5 card.

You have a i7 with all the advance instructions that older CPU's don't have. A course it's CPU friendly too you. And you also have a ATI HD 5870. That's a high end DX11 video card. You can't compare your superior setup to P4 or Pentium D and said base on your performance that STO will play well on them.

They will get lag and low FPS. And they can forget about Fleet action. If you read what people with these system said about there STO playing experience. Everythings run OK until they get on Station or in areas where a lot of players are in or if someone dropping a lot of mines. And solo ground combat missions are hard on them too.

And Hyper-Threading is a joke. A program has to be written to take advantage of it. Almost no programs were being programmer for it. That's why they drop it from the CPUs after P4 HT. They added it to the i7 for marketing propose to justify the added expense of the CPU. i5 and i3 don't have it.

Oh' by the way I went to a paid Intel Sales - Marketing meeting on the i7 before their launch. I spoke to Intel sales rep. And don't even compare Intel sales reps with other reps like HP or Epson. They know their stuff.
    edited January 2010
    Well people, things did not go too well.

Because of poor performance with StarTrek Online and my system setup, i had decided to try installing windows 7 64 bits and see if'd get better results.

Things then went from bad to worse. I used to get around 25fps in the starting areas Station, in the more crowded areas but with a lot of video settings turned OFF (AO, AA, Shadows). But with win 7, i got 5-10fps when EVRYTHING turned OFF.
    Seems there was some kind of incompatibility between win7 and my video card that i could not figure out. I tried a few driver versions to no avail.

I found Performance Test 7.0 on the net, from PassMark software, and it gives you pretty decent statistics regarding your computer performances. You can even compare those stats to similar systems.
    Anywho, on win7, i failed the 2d and 3d sections (managed by GPU) quite miserably.
    On XP, the GPU stats are on par with similar systems.

Now back on win XP 64 bits
    Core I7 920 2.67
    GTS 250 1gig
    6gig tripple channel DDR3

White Knight, you'll have to explain to me how you got your 250 to work on win 7. Note that we have different motherboards, but i did try to get the latest chipset drivers as well.
    edited January 2010
    Connelli wrote: »
    Well people, things did not go too well.

Because of poor performance with StarTrek Online and my system setup, i had decided to try installing windows 7 64 bits and see if'd get better results.

Things then went from bad to worse. I used to get around 25fps in the starting areas Station, in the more crowded areas but with a lot of video settings turned OFF (AO, AA, Shadows). But with win 7, i got 5-10fps when EVRYTHING turned OFF.
    Seems there was some kind of incompatibility between win7 and my video card that i could not figure out. I tried a few driver versions to no avail.

I found Performance Test 7.0 on the net, from PassMark software, and it gives you pretty decent statistics regarding your computer performances. You can even compare those stats to similar systems.
    Anywho, on win7, i failed the 2d and 3d sections (managed by GPU) quite miserably.

Now back on win XP 64 bits
    Core I7 920 2.67
    GTS 250 1gig
    6gig tripple channel DDR3

White Knight, you'll have to explain to me how you got your 250 to work on win 7. Note that we have different motherboards, but i did try to get the latest chipset drivers as well.

Since you have not included your motherboard in your specs I have no ideal what your running,

With Windows 7 you should had done this.

Use either Nvidia 191.07 or 190.62 driver
    AA is at 2x
    Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion : OFF
    Depth of Field : OFF
    Shadows : LOW

You should had ask for help before re-installing Windows 7. Did you built with system yourself or is it a pre-build like a Dell or HP?
    I am not a mind reader. Information helps.
    edited January 2010
    But with win 7, i got 5-10fps when EVRYTHING turned OFF.

Should be no compatibility issue at all since NVIDIA has Windows 7 drivers for the GTS 250 (both 32-bit and 74-bit). In fact, NVIDIA has had Windows 7 drivers out before almost any other hardware manufacturer, even during Windows 7 beta.

Run through this checklist of everything to make sure you didn't miss something and there shouldn't be any issues:
    1. First of all, 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7? Did you do a completely clean install (not upgrade)? Install from scratch to ensure no malware or incorrect settings/config in registry and other files are still around.
    2. Download and install latest motherboard chipset drivers
    3. Download and install latest network drivers
    4. Install NVIDIA driver package 196.21 (32 or 64-bit depending on your install of Windows 7)
    5. Download and install other drivers (ie: sound, network, input devices, etc.)
    6. Download and run the STO downloader directly from Cryptic. Do not use a previous install. We want to start with a clean slate.
    7. The downloader will grab 10GB (?) worth of files and install STO
    8. Run STO and let it scale graphic options for your PC automatically
    9. Test FPS

I know that's a long and involved process, but if you still have hardware performance issues after this process, then it's due to your hardware.
    edited January 2010
    Since you have not included your motherboard in your specs I have no ideal what your running,

With Windows 7 you should had done this.

AA is at 2x

You should had ask for help before re-installing Windows 7. Did you built with system yourself or is it a pre-build like a Dell or HP?
    I am not a mind reader. Information helps.

I kinda posted my specs, dxdiag report and game settings last week. I didn't want to be a bother by reposting all of them again.

My motherboard is an Evga x58 SLI LE.

To be honest Cipher, i may not have tried everything on your list, but i spent 3 hairpulling days trying to figure out why it didn't work ... and it's enough. I have been patient to a limit.

Cryptic has posted its recommended system specs and, being above those, i would expect the game to run smoothly. Time will tell.
    edited January 2010
    I kinda posted my specs, dxdiag report and game settings last week. I didn't want to be a bother by reposting all of them again.
    And this is why you are not able to fix your stuff. You won't go through the steps. As I said before we are helping a lot of people here. We can't remember each ones setup. Especially if you haven't posted in a while. By posting your complete setup in your signature like we have done it we help us to help you.
    My motherboard is an Evga x58 SLI LE.
    I am assuming that you were using Windows 7 64 bit.

Current drivers from eVGA web site unless otherwise noted.

Chipset
    Driver Version : 9.1.1.1020 - EVGA Recommended Download
    Release Date: 10/07/2009
    WHQL Certified : YES
    Driver File : infinst911.exe (Primary Download Link)
    Notes : NONE

BIOS Update - BIOS update tend to fix a lot of issues.
    Bios Version : S71H
    BIOS Date : 11/30/2009
    Bios File : E757S71H.bin

Audio
    Driver Version : 2.32 - EVGA Recommended Download
    Release Date: 09/03/2009
    WHQL Certified : YES
    Driver File : audio_realtek.zip

If you are using RAID get the driver from eVGA too. It's best to install during OS install.

Nvidia drivers get from here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us

Now you can try the most current Nvidia drivers but for STO we have been having good performance with 190.62.

Also change these setting in STO:
    AA is at 2x

Install Chipset right after OS install then display drivers. Monitor Drivers. Then everything else.

I never heard of this program. Try 3DMark and Fraps.

I just tried Performance Test 7.0 and on the very first run it told me my 30 day evaluation has expired. Cr@ppy software.

Read this:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=108133&mpage=1&print=true
    edited January 2010

AA is at 2x

With regards to what White Knight said, the settings you have mentioned. Are they the best idea for most gamers?
    edited January 2010
    And this is why you are not able to fix your stuff. You won't go through the steps. As I said before we are helping a lot of people here. We can't remember each ones setup. Especially if you haven't posted in a while. By posting your complete setup in your signature like we have done it we help us to help you.
    I did all of that, twice. First with win XP 64, the second with win 7 64. Don't insult me by saying i didn't jump through enough hoops... I've had to re-install my OS twice in a week.
    I wasn't asking for your help this time around, i was simply reporting on what i had done. Sorry if i mislead you into thinking otherwise.
    I just tried Performance Test 7.0 and on the very first run it told me my 30 day evaluation has expired. Cr@ppy software.
    You have a 30 days evaluation period, you just had to click continue.

And that last comment was unwelcome. I didn't say once that Cryptic had released a "cr@ppy" software, even with what they are making me go through. It's not like i'm trying to install Sto on a 386 with 256k ram.
    edited January 2010
    I did all of that, twice. First with win XP 64, the second with win 7 64. Don't insult me by saying i didn't jump through enough hoops... I've had to re-install my OS twice in a week.
    I wasn't asking for your help this time around, i was simply reporting on what i had done. Sorry if i mislead you into thinking otherwise.

Connelli, you mentioned "reinstall" your OS. Do you mean a repair reinstall or a complete wipe of the partition and install from scratch? If you've never done a clean install, then you haven't tried everything.
    To be honest Cipher, i may not have tried everything on your list, but i spent 3 hairpulling days trying to figure out why it didn't work ... and it's enough. I have been patient to a limit.

You spent three days troubleshooting this. Yet a clean install would answer all questions, and remove all uncertainties, and only take an hour plus a day or installing drivers, apps, etc.

Sure, there may be something specific in your Windows install, STO, drivers, or anything else that's causing issues to degrade your performance so much. But to invest so much time troubleshooting it is going to be a waste compared to a clean install. Try that with all of the steps I mentioned.

I have a GTX 295 in my PC that I use for gaming, but I also have a 9600 GT as a second card for running a 4th and 5th monitor (HDMI for BluRay playback and a Wacom Cintiq connected). I tried STO open beta on the 9600 GT and with tweaked (low) settings. I was able to get a steady 60 FPS with vertical sync enabled, then of course dropped a bit at graphically demanding times. So your GTS 250, which is faster than the 9600 GT, should be doing much better.

I am just throwing out possibilities too... what AV software do you have and which browser do you run? Any other precautions you take on your PC when online?
    edited January 2010
    Connelli, you mentioned "reinstall" your OS. Do you mean a repair reinstall or a complete wipe of the partition and install from scratch? If you've never done a clean install, then you haven't tried everything.

I do mean a complete wipe. Even formatted my drive.
    edited January 2010
    I do mean a complete wipe. Even formatted my drive.

Ah. Ouch. Then if you're still having such horrible performance on your GTS 250, I'd highly recommend getting it warranty swapped.

You also mentioned that you didn't try everything on a list I made earlier. What points didn't you try?
    edited January 2010
    Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 299 GB
    Video Card: Radeon X1650 Series
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: SB Audigy Audio [DC00]
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Keyboard: USB Root Hub
    Mouse: USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
    Motherboard:

So these specs probably won't run it, right? Cause if not, I'll more then likely just wait for the 360 version...if a 360 version even comes out.
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Video Card: Radeon X1650 Series

So these specs probably won't run it, right? Cause if not, I'll more then likely just wait for the 360 version...if a 360 version even comes out.

Ouch. It will run STO, but very, very poorly. It probably won't be enjoyable.

As for an XBox 360 version, Cryptic has STO working internally on it. But it's a licensing/red-tape issue to release on the XBox which they may or may not do in the future.
    edited January 2010
    Ouch. It will run STO, but very, very poorly. It probably won't be enjoyable.

Boo-urns I tell you boo-urns. Sucks, when we got this PC at the time, it was quite good, it sucks how much a few years go buy and its suddenly obsolete.

I kinda want to wait a few months and see if they ever do get ahead on a 360 version, since I know that'd run.

Hmm...not having a 360 version would be disappointing since that'd require either updating my current computer or getting a new one entirely which sucks, cause its expensive.
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    Boo-urns I tell you boo-urns. Sucks, when we got this PC at the time, it was quite good, it sucks how much a few years go buy and its suddenly obsolete.

I kinda want to wait a few months and see if they ever do get ahead on a 360 version, since I know that'd run.

Well, try 5 years for that PC, lol. Pentium 4 is a 2000 to 2006 CPU, though some later models sold for value line PCs up to 2008. Yours is closer to the 2005 mark.
    edited January 2010
    Well, try 5 years for that PC, lol. Pentium 4 is a 2000 to 2006 CPU, though some later models sold for value line PCs up to 2008. Yours is closer to the 2005 mark.

This is the kinda thing that makes me prefer console gaming to PC gaming.
    edited January 2010
    Ashki wrote:
    This is the kinda thing that makes me prefer console gaming to PC gaming.

Yup, I don't blame you. Less hardware costs and upgrades involved with console games. But less flexibility and less multi-function capabilities. My Wii is fun, but I'm not going to browse the web and write code on it even though it has a browser, hehehe.

Still, the XBox 360 will be the old console someday, and there will be a new XBox that plays new titles along with the older 360 titles. Of course your cost to upgrade might be closer to $300 compared to $500 or more with a new PC.
    edited January 2010
    Yup, I don't blame you. Less hardware costs and upgrades involved with console games. But less flexibility and less multi-function capabilities. My Wii is fun, but I'm not going to browse the web and write code on it, hehehe.

Still, the XBox 360 will be the old console someday, and there will be a new XBox that plays new titles along with the older 360 titles. Of course your cost to upgrade might be closer to $300 compared to $500 or more with a new PC.

Pretty much, but there's always a slim chance that those games will be BC...not so much with the Playstation games, but whatever.

But compared to a computer, yes, its a whole lot cheaper. Well, I can only hope that a 360 version gets released, otherwise I may have to wind up passing.
    edited January 2010
    Ah. Ouch. Then if you're still having such horrible performance on your GTS 250, I'd highly recommend getting it warranty swapped.

You also mentioned that you didn't try everything on a list I made earlier. What points didn't you try?

Sound and network drivers, i didn't think to find the latest drivers for that.

I'll wait a few weeks, see how the GTS 250 handles in the future. Problem might still come from a different source. I'll see in a few days, i wiped my drive and re-installed XP 64bits, i just need to install and patch STO but i busted my bandwidth for this month so i'm waiting to patch (7gigs).
    edited January 2010
    Sound and network drivers, i didn't think to find the latest drivers for that.

I'll wait a few weeks, see how the GTS 250 handles in the future. Problem might still come from a different source. I'll see in a few days, i wiped my drive and re-installed XP 64bits, i just need to install and patch STO but i busted my bandwidth for this month so i'm waiting to patch (7gigs).

Yeah, sound and network drivers shouldn't matter too much. Network only for loading times/lag with servers, but not framerates.

I hope your problems are solved with release and not a hardware issue. :(
    edited January 2010
    Aeterno wrote:
    He could always pass it off to the live-in GF like I did =D My upgrades are exciting for her cause she gets the hand me downs... Trying to get her hooked on ST:O so I can persuade her to let me build at least a C2D system for her.

I'm really tempted to install on the Core Solo 1.7ghz/Mobility Radeon x1400 laptop and see what happens. Maybe that'll be my weekend project.

Don't expect too much.

I have a laptop with a Core duo 1.66 ghz and Mobility Radeon x1400...

It's playable, but only really in a practical manner by using the 'half resolution' option. (or alternately, with a lot of graphical options turned way down, though it doesn't always seem to do anything useful.)
    And, I have low standards.
    The framerate is fairly stable, and there's no noticable stuttering, but while it can hit 25-30 or even 40fps in places, it can also get down to 11 or so on some planets.
    edited January 2010
    A geforce 9800 will handle this right?

looking to upgrade to one.
This discussion has been closed.