What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Captain Geko tweets about player response to J'Ula character

Comments

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    'Only a fool fights in a burning house.' And when we show up with godlike powers of fleetus deletus, the house isn't just burning - it's a goddamn inferno.​​

I love that the "godlike powers of fleetus deletus", that perfectly describes us PCs and our ships, why would anyone in their right mind declare war on us "The Destroyers of Worlds", our enemies expect a war but instead they got sent to be massacred like lambs to the slaughter, all our battles seem pretty one sided, people should be running in fear of us after they hear what we did to the Iconian fleet, we may have gave their back their world heart, but only we were there, anyone else would simply assume that we made the Iconians TRIBBLE their pants and caused them to flee back to their Homeworld.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    The reason they don't use homebrewed characters like koren is that cryptic somehow think that because they've not been in a show they mean nothing to those who have played the game and interacted with the characters. This arc had koren, someone we knew and had worked with in previous mission arcs, suddenly throw a wobbly and turn on us without even trying to find out what her former comrades in arms were doing. That is typical of cryptics writing, they have characters that aren't half bad but will happily dump them for a "big name" voice actor from a series. They also have some god awful characters that appear and thankfully don't come back, like the yeehar ridem cowboy bunch in the rehash of nimbus bar.

Using characters from disco trek relies on players not being on the discotrek is badly written shtako side of the fence. It relies on people having access to the shows, I watched up to the botched timeloop episode on telly here before saying enough was enough and it looks like channel 4 decided not to do a deal for disco beyond series one. They consistently bumped it later and later until it was in the the wee hours of monday morning timeslot while batwoman inexplicably maintained its timeslot and got renewed.

Wait a second, wasn't Koren the only one who didn't turn on the characters at Khitomer when J'mpok branded them traitors? What you said does have some bearing on the others, like Geordie though.
    Ok, I looked it up. By chance I only played Klingon aligned characters in The Khitomer Discord and it turns out she does turn with the rest if the player is Federation aligned. Of course that is a potentially loose end itself since J'mpok would not be happy with her actions when the player is KDF.

Anyway, J'Ula and Aakar form a classic puppet/hidden villain type of trope. She never was the actual villain though the hints that she is actually an extreme form of anti-hero are very thin and subtle at first (and even then the first hints don't really come into play until the USS Glenn raid). Anti-hero pragmatism, righteous fury, and broody cynicism can be taken advantage of and pushed to the brink of crossing into real villainy by an expert manipulator whispering in their ear.

The fact that we don't even see Aakar, the real villain who is using J'Ula (unbeknownst to her) as his tool, until much later doesn't help that either. It isn't until the shock of Aakar's betrayal that J'Ula starts taking stock of her actions and slides back into a more conventional version of her anti-hero role. And it takes a trip to Grethor for her to realize that she is not really the national leader type, that she if more of a warband leader/troubleshooter instead (which could have been part of her blind spot as to what Aakar actually was).

J'mpok was always an anti-villain, they are perfectly capable of diplomacy and making alliances when it suits their purposes, but it is always about them and gathering more power rather than the good of the nation, the alliance, the people, whatever.
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    anybody else notice how its always the same person stirring up trouble in every thread? cant help but wonder why teh mods wont do anything about it :/

are @rattler2 and @darkbladejk still around?

Because no one is breaking any forum rules. Stop trying to get the mods to attack certain people. They aren't your personal tools for moderating people you don't like. Just ignore the person's comments. it's literally that easy. just because they respond to others frequently, does not mean you need to respond to their responses. Literally just scroll past. Why are you reading their responses if it upsets you so much? its only a problem if you let it be.

So just stop. Stop trying to police people, and police yourself instead.

stay in your lane. you'll be a much happier person.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Just ignore the person's comments. it's literally that easy...Literally just scroll past. Why are you reading their responses if it upsets you so much? its only a problem if you let it be.

Pot meet kettle!
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    L'rell who apparently also used the bomb to take power. Its almost like J'mpok was following her example.

Kagran's closest real world analogue is Eisenhower. Please tell me how organizing a military response to a common threat with different militaries doesn't involve diplomatic skills. Oh also what qualifications are required to be chancellor? I thought killing the previous one was sufficient.

Kagran is easily the best, but of course there are other Klingons too, like Rodek/Kurn or Koren. Any of them could believably be chancellor. Why did we need to resurrect L'rel and ruin the mystery about the Klingon afterlife?
    J'mpok took power by "beating" Martok in a one on one duel. Not using a bomb to hold the planet hostage. At the time L'rell took power in the DSC era there didn't seem to be a chancellor, so that option wasn't available to her.

Kagran didn't organize the military response to a common enemy. The Alliance leaders did. J'mpok, D'tan, and Aennik Okeg, are the ones who did the big diplomatic efforts. And at the point Kagran came in the Alliance forces had been working together for some time beforehand against the Voth, Undine, and Vaadwaur, so he really didn't even have to deal with the issues of this being a new thing either.

Killing the previous Chancellor is a way to become the new one. That doesn't make you qualified to be it though. Worf killed Gowron, doesn't make him qualified to be Chancellor, only makes him able to be it.

Kagran, Kurn, and Koren, completely lack the diplomatic skills needed to be a good Chancellor, especially a good enough one to unite the Klingon Empire as it was by the end of the Civil War. Not to mention, Kurn being Worf's brother just opens up the floodgates of "Federation puppet" issues. And Kagran and Koren being big figures in the Alliance military just opens up "Alliance Puppet" issues as well.

I think you're being deliberately obtuse. L'rell and J'mpok both try to use the bomb for their own power.

Hilarious as it is to say Kagran didn't organize anything, that's absurd. Someone has no idea how a military chain of command works and just how much organization is done at high levels. Kagran was also the point of contact for our captains regardless of which faction, and lets not forget he was there on Iconia before we were, learning what he could about them. He definitely has diplomatic chops.

But diplomatic skills aren't a requirement of a chancellor. What are those requirements? Oh right, there are none. All you have to do is beat the previous one or get appointed by someone who did. It is like being US president. You don't have to form coherent sentences when you speak. It would be nice, but it isn't a requirement.

And this weird guilt by association thing you have knocking out the captains of the alliance is ridiculous. Klingons care if you fight and die with honor. This is why there is an alliance with the Romulan Republic in the first place, because of Temer's sacrifice. It pretty quickly got Klingons to accept Romulans running around Qo'nos. Then there was Shon's near sacrifice to save Qo'nos itself against the Undine planet killer.

Of course, L'rell was resurrected to be chancellor in large part due to the efforts by... yes, another captain of the alliance/traitor. There are always going to be those who claim the leader is a puppet. That isn't a reason to disqualify them.
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    Just ignore the person's comments. it's literally that easy...Literally just scroll past. Why are you reading their responses if it upsets you so much? its only a problem if you let it be.

Pot meet kettle!

well at least you're admitting to what you're trying to pretend you're not doing. I engage with full cognizance of what I'm doing. Also I will always jump in and defend people when they're being attacked by a worthless clique. Because that's who I am. And I am very glad that you don't like it.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User

Pot meet kettle!

well at least you're admitting to what you're trying to pretend you're not doing. I engage with full cognizance of what I'm doing. Also I will always jump in and defend people when they're being attacked by a worthless clique. Because that's who I am. And I am very glad that you don't like it.

LOL what? I never said I don't like it. In fact, I do like it...because it's funny! See, you quoted a post you don't like and lectured them about how they should ignore posts they don't like. You're doing the complete opposite of what you're telling them to do, and its hilarious. My older brother always said 'if someone doesn't follow their own advice it's obviously not good advice', and he's right. So yeah right on man, keep it up! It's funny to see :p<3:)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I'm not reading through 5 pages, TL;DR. Here is my take on the whole arc. It was fine until the player is forced to be J'ula's ally. Sorry, Both my KDF, my Rom and probably my main, being the old school kirk type, would have dropped her with a well placed weapon. and run from Jm'pok, where the (insert faction captain that covers) "takes the heat"? yeah, sorry, Drummond has outshone Shon a hundredfold. he would never run. to box the player in like that is uninspired storytelling. even WITH that, Ally with J'ula, who you actively tried to vape a dozen times before? here is what I would have done: you go on the run, the KDF and your faction are hunting for you. instead of allying with J'Ula, you turn to someone who you have saved a few times, someone like, say, Garak? or the Vorta, girl that was Odo's assistant. ins't she on DS9? having that person as your sidekick as you get the evidence to clear yourself would have been far more interesting. and yes, i know it's "hard" but this story needed 3 tracks, because the KDF the RRW and starfleet reactions are completely different. there would be no reason for a non-KDF to go on the acid trip. again, I'm pointing my finder at poor/lazy writing.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I'm not reading through 5 pages, TL;DR. Here is my take on the whole arc. It was fine until the player is forced to be J'ula's ally. Sorry, Both my KDF, my Rom and probably my main, being the old school kirk type, would have dropped her with a well placed weapon. and run from Jm'pok, where the (insert faction captain that covers) "takes the heat"? yeah, sorry, Drummond has outshone Shon a hundredfold. he would never run. to box the player in like that is uninspired storytelling. even WITH that, Ally with J'ula, who you actively tried to vape a dozen times before? here is what I would have done: you go on the run, the KDF and your faction are hunting for you. instead of allying with J'Ula, you turn to someone who you have saved a few times, someone like, say, Garak? or the Vorta, girl that was Odo's assistant. ins't she on DS9? having that person as your sidekick as you get the evidence to clear yourself would have been far more interesting. and yes, i know it's "hard" but this story needed 3 tracks, because the KDF the RRW and starfleet reactions are completely different. there would be no reason for a non-KDF to go on the acid trip. again, I'm pointing my finder at poor/lazy writing.

I agree, My Rom would have backstabbed her and J'Mpok at the first chance he had, plus it wouldn't have been the first time he murdered a potential ally, Seven of Nine even called him out on it when he did it in the Delta Quadrant, He isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to get the job done, While he has plenty in common with Hakeev, he won't go as far as Romulan on Romulan crimes but to him everyone else is still fair game.
  • Options

I agree, My Rom would have backstabbed her and J'Mpok at the first chance he had, plus it wouldn't have been the first time he murdered a potential ally, Seven of Nine even called him out on it when he did it in the Delta Quadrant, He isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in order to get the job done, While he has plenty in common with Hakeev, he won't go as far as Romulan on Romulan crimes but to him everyone else is still fair game.

Writing game plots for publication is a lot different from face to face gaming with a live GM, and MMOs like STO have to write the plots like a module where the author knows nothing specific about the player characters and so has to write to the theoretical typical type(s).

That is even more complicated when there are radically different factions, and makes the need for the plots to be even more abstract than single-faction ones, though if the expected player faction types are not expected to be equal in size they can (and do) put a little more emphasis on that off-center average. That is why a lot of stuff plays more like it was written for Federation, because more Fed characters are expected to go though it than anyone else and there are some things that Fed players object to like the torture-to-death scene on one Klingon episode and the genocidal stuff in The Renegade's Regret.

It is even more difficult in STO since the game tries to resolve three or four vastly different treatments of Trek that just don't all mesh with each other well.

That said, I would really like it if the game could somehow take my various character histories into account in dialog and plot paths, but I know that it is not possible so I don't expect it or get disappointed when it does not happen.

J'Ula is a good example of that mismatch btw. A lot of objections to her actions and the way that other Klingon accepted her in the end boils down to the difference between the way that the traditional Treks handled Klingon culture and the way DSC does. By DSC standards her actions were only really questionable because she retreated more than most other Klingons, the Klingons in DSC committed far worse atrocities on a routine basis in a war that seemed more like a one-sided genocidal rampage than wars referred to in TOS and other Treks.
  • Options
    payback99payback99 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    So we have to judge her as a cowered who constantly had to flee, started a civil war, and betrayed the empire?
  • Options
    payback99 wrote: »
    So we have to judge her as a cowered who constantly had to flee, started a civil war, and betrayed the empire?

Depends. On one hand you have Klingon quasi-fatalism and stubbornness, but on the other hand they also have a certain amount of pragmatism, like how it is foolish to fight in a burning house, so they do acknowledge that tactical retreat is sometimes necessary, and different from true cowardice. Plus, her main advisor actually was a coward and probably knew what to say to get her to break off fall back where she might not have on her own.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think you're being deliberately obtuse. L'rell and J'mpok both try to use the bomb for their own power.
    Which isn't what was originally stated, or what I replied to.

Yeah it is. You twisted what I wrote to reply to something else.
    Hilarious as it is to say Kagran didn't organize anything, that's absurd. Someone has no idea how a military chain of command works and just how much organization is done at high levels. Kagran was also the point of contact for our captains regardless of which faction, and lets not forget he was there on Iconia before we were, learning what he could about them. He definitely has diplomatic chops.
    Many missions have the same point of contact for all captains. And Kagran was on Iconia pretending to be someone he wasn't, and learning what information he could by observations/overhearing things. Not doing high level diplomatic talks with the Iconians.

Why in the world are you hung up on this diplomacy thing? Nevermind that talking to the Iconians with an open mind to learn about them showcases a wisdom that Sela clearly didn't possess, and she was an Empress! Kagran can clearly do a better job at your pet issue than someone who actually did lead a nation. Kagran has a lot of experience working with different people of different species towards a common cause. Yet at no point is skill in that required to be chancellor.
    But diplomatic skills aren't a requirement of a chancellor. What are those requirements? Oh right, there are none. All you have to do is beat the previous one or get appointed by someone who did. It is like being US president. You don't have to form coherent sentences when you speak. It would be nice, but it isn't a requirement.
    This is just trying to skip around the actual point being made. Yes, anyone could become Chancellor if they killed the previous one. That doesn't make them fit for the role, or what the Klingon Empire needs. And Worf, Kurn, Kagran, and Koren, are all smart enough to realize that.

You haven't made any point. You're simply stating that some people are not qualified to be chancellor, because of arbitrary, invented qualifications, without anything to back up your case.
    And this weird guilt by association thing you have knocking out the captains of the alliance is ridiculous. Klingons care if you fight and die with honor. This is why there is an alliance with the Romulan Republic in the first place, because of Temer's sacrifice. It pretty quickly got Klingons to accept Romulans running around Qo'nos. Then there was Shon's near sacrifice to save Qo'nos itself against the Undine planet killer.
    If you're dead you can't become Chancellor can you?

Seems to work for L'rell.
    Of course, L'rell was resurrected to be chancellor in large part due to the efforts by... yes, another captain of the alliance/traitor. There are always going to be those who claim the leader is a puppet. That isn't a reason to disqualify them.
    By the Monks of Boreth, and the sister of T'kuvma, who is held in high esteem.

Insane. Somehow fighting wars alongside allies is suspicious to Klingons in your mind, but if those allies help clone a new chancellor with a lunatic from the past, that is not at all suspicious.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Insane. Somehow fighting wars alongside allies is suspicious to Klingons in your mind, but if those allies help clone a new chancellor with a lunatic from the past, that is not at all suspicious.

It seemed to work pretty well for Kahless II, the Klingons didn't accept him once they found out that he was a clone and while he was granted the title of "Emperor" He's nothing more than the Klingon equivalent of a mascot and mouth piece, he had no real power within his own Empire.
  • Options

It seemed to work pretty well for Kahless II, the Klingons didn't accept him once they found out that he was a clone and while he was granted the title of "Emperor" He's nothing more than the Klingon equivalent of a mascot and mouth piece, he had no real power within his own Empire.

That is definitely something else that bugs me about this story, but I wanted to go back and review the Kahless-A story to see if I remembered it right. That is how I remember it, though. The clone of Kahless just was not received well specifically because he was a clone, and because there were things that were off about him. Why is it okay when L'rell does it? I am unclear.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

That is definitely something else that bugs me about this story, but I wanted to go back and review the Kahless-A story to see if I remembered it right. That is how I remember it, though. The clone of Kahless just was not received well specifically because he was a clone, and because there were things that were off about him. Why is it okay when L'rell does it? I am unclear.

It's a total double-standard. And the hilarious thing is that women in the Empire had to fight to be equal! Quark's wife went through a hell of a lot to get control of her House. I'm sorry, but Klingons were/are misogynistic. Look as Worf's ex/Alexander's mother...he couldn't handle a strong and independent woman at the time and she was taking no nonsense.

Martok should have been left in charge, because his character is so rich, developed, flushed out, interesting and this whole silly J'Ula and Lady Clone business should never have made it to an episode...let alone this much of STO. Well, they're barely episodes and just an ill-conceived story, buried to the neck in wave after wave after wave after wave after wave of monotonous fighting.

When I think of the great stories they brought Michael Dorn back for...J.G. has deserved better than this and so has Martok. He, like Kahless, came from nothing but led the Empire. I'd even have rather Lursa's nephew rising to power, because who cares if the Chancellor is corrupt, just as long as they're interesting?
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    What is Daniels even supposed to do at this point?

Ending the Kal Dano bloodline would be nice.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but Klingons were/are misogynistic.

Klingon society in the 24th/25th century is misogynistic, between Undiscovered Country and Discovery, there's clear implications of a cultural shift between the time of Old School and Next Gen.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    It's simple when you look at her through the lens of a NuTrek writer...these are the people who think mutineers, rapists, and genocidal maniacs are heroes just because of what is between their legs
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »

Lol, as nice as that would be, Daniels won't do that. Like all temporal agents, he's just fine with someone like Dano making changes if he and his agency like the outcome.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    thay8472 wrote: »

Lol, as nice as that would be, Daniels won't do that. Like all temporal agents, he's just fine with someone like Dano making changes if he and his agency like the outcome.

As a member of the Department of Temporal Investigations and a fellow temporal agent, I agree with and respect Daniels decision, I'll let you guys in on a little secret just because we tell you that the timeline is secure doesn't mean that it is, we only say that so you don't panic, also if you see any temporal anomalies ie glitches and bugs those were also cause by us, our entire department is incompetent except for Daniels, can someone please tell Admiral Quinn that the Department of Temporal Investigations needs proper funding and competent officers, Employee of the Month Daniels is making the rest of us look bad.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Yeah, what they don't tell you is the universe is one major temporal incursion away from all timelines unraveling and sending the universe into its death throes via entropic maximization.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I was more referencing Daniels' line from https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11014053-"you-can't-go-home-again" about too much alteration to timelines triggering universal collapse.
    “No. Events have to unfold as they originally did. Every alteration to history creates new quantum splits—new timelines and new universes. But the energy for those to exist still has to be accounted for. Too many splits and the cosmos itself risks collapse. Our job isn’t to ‘fix’ history. It’s to stop other people from breaking the past and potentially ending the universe.”
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.