test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time to increase the refining of Dilithium 8000 per day cap

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I don't think the people who ask for upping the refine cap actually think about the situation. Most are probably thinking "I need more per day" and not "long term solution". Because as someone else said earlier in this thread, even if they DID up the cap, we'd probably be right back here asking for the same thing down the road.

Its a non solution. Just basically kicking the can down the road in order to get more supply.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Bad idea.. horrible.. hope it never happens.

Agree!
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    a refined dil tab in our account bank would be welcome. the transfer from a toon to an other would less boring. I was also for a cap increase, but it won't be happen. So I created more toons :p
  • Options
    a refined dil tab in our account bank would be welcome. the transfer from a toon to an other would less boring. I was also for a cap increase, but it won't be happen. So I created more toons :p

I think Cryptic's actually looking into a means to transfer DL between characters.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I think Cryptic's actually looking into a means to transfer DL between characters.

I would love to do this other than running through the dilex.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    What should happen is Decrease in total refinement cap, but turned in to Account wide cap, no matter how many alts you have, like in NW when they moved from 30k~ per alt to 100k acc cap & no per character caps

Going to strongly disagree with this for a few very big reasons. First off it doesn't address the actual problem which is an overabundance of dilithium supply in the market with nothing to keep excess dilithium out of the game. demand has largely stayed the same, but the supply hasn't. phoenix packs being permanent have helped by giving something folks can invest in full time, however that's not enough on its own. There needs to be another meaningful way to remove excess, and that doesn't exist. Currently the amount of dilithium is only limited by the number of toons a person is willing to run. I have the ability to generate 224k per day, however I typically don't run the full 28 toons. The point however is that I can. If I am able to run more toons and play more than someone else, why should I not be allowed to have more dilithium than they do? For people like me a limit like the one you named is actually a huge nerf. Overall it doesn't address the actual problem which is overabundant supply of dilithium

Well...that's not quite true. IF it curtails enough of the whales who run 28 toons into limiting the refinement down to say 3 toons worth (what NW did) to make up for the single or dual running people being able to refine more...yeah it CAN be reduction on the supply side. It is working on the NW side of it. We are actually seeing dips from the cap of the AD market over there. The problem isn't that the idea can't work...because it most certainly can depending on the numbers...the problem is that it PUNISHES the people who support your game the most with many alt toons (which is both time AND money investments). That generally is a bad idea for a company. Also the numbers to make this work might not be something the people who are clamoring for this might be happy with. NW came to a number of around 3 toons worth. For this game, there might be WAY more casuals who run one toon and the number could be half that. I wonder if the people who want this idea would be so hot for it if the number needed to control the dilex would be to have an account wide cap of say...12k per day. I get the feeling probably not so much as they are probably saying do this not really for the health of the game but to cause the game to suit them and how they play.
    What difference between a player who plays 28 toons for 15 minutes a day and a player who plays 1 toon for 7 hours justifies that the former should be rewarded with a 2800% refine cap raise?

I'll leave the numbers to Cryptic, that's their job. But account-wide it should be.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    What should happen is Decrease in total refinement cap, but turned in to Account wide cap, no matter how many alts you have, like in NW when they moved from 30k~ per alt to 100k acc cap & no per character caps

Going to strongly disagree with this for a few very big reasons. First off it doesn't address the actual problem which is an overabundance of dilithium supply in the market with nothing to keep excess dilithium out of the game. demand has largely stayed the same, but the supply hasn't. phoenix packs being permanent have helped by giving something folks can invest in full time, however that's not enough on its own. There needs to be another meaningful way to remove excess, and that doesn't exist. Currently the amount of dilithium is only limited by the number of toons a person is willing to run. I have the ability to generate 224k per day, however I typically don't run the full 28 toons. The point however is that I can. If I am able to run more toons and play more than someone else, why should I not be allowed to have more dilithium than they do? For people like me a limit like the one you named is actually a huge nerf. Overall it doesn't address the actual problem which is overabundant supply of dilithium

I wonder if the people who want this idea would be so hot for it if the number needed to control the dilex would be to have an account wide cap of say...12k per day. I get the feeling probably not so much as they are probably saying do this not really for the health of the game but to cause the game to suit them and how they play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cryptic do that. A larger per-account cap would benefit the non-farmers who play one or two characters at a time while reducing the dil generated by multi-character farming and grinding.

That's in line with other changes Cryptic has made over the last few years to nerf farming while often buffing the rewards to non-grinders.

They have to be careful though since they get zen from players buying the dil from the farmers. If the dilex deflates too much the dil buyers may feel they aren't getting enough. It's as bad as it hitting the 500 limit where they know they should get more dil
  • Options
    They have to be careful though since they get zen from players buying the dil from the farmers. If the dilex deflates too much the dil buyers may feel they aren't getting enough. It's as bad as it hitting the 500 limit where they know they should get more dil
    Unless an artificial cap limits it, the price on the market is always what traders (in general) think it should be.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    warpangel wrote: »
    Unless an artificial cap limits it, the price on the market is always what traders (in general) think it should be.

Yes, supply and demand and no evil cartels like some players believe in.

But if the exchange deflates to 100 the amount of zen Cryptic earns might also drop as players choose to spend their real-world money on other things.

I'm guessing there is some optimal range for the dilex where zen spending is maximized.

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    What difference between a player who plays 28 toons for 15 minutes a day and a player who plays 1 toon for 7 hours justifies that the former should be rewarded with a 2800% refine cap raise?

I'll leave the numbers to Cryptic, that's their job. But account-wide it should be.

Because that person had to put in the time and effort to get those toons to where they could be played for only 15 minutes a toon vs the person putting in the same amount of effort for a single toon. The person with 28 toons put in far more work than the other person only doing the one. Thus the person with 28 should always have more refinement capacity than the other person for the simple fact they've done more to get it.

Why should someone who isn't willing to put in the extra time and effort get the same reward as someone who is? If I put in the time and effort to build up 28 toons, why should I not be allowed the extra dilithium since I've done the work to be able to produce more of it? Wanting my ability or the ability of other folks who can produce similar numbers limited because another person is either unwilling or unable to put in the same time and effort is a slap in the face to the work we did.

The fact that I have done more work to build up 27 additional toons than the person only working one toon is why I should be allowed to have more than he does. If/when he puts in the work, he will also be able to crank the same amount of dilithium as me. Again dilithium is limited purely by how many toons you're willing to run for the most part. Someone who puts in more effort will always and should always be able to refine more than the other person.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Cryptic do that. A larger per-account cap would benefit the non-farmers who play one or two characters at a time while reducing the dil generated by multi-character farming and grinding.

That's in line with other changes Cryptic has made over the last few years to nerf farming while often buffing the rewards to non-grinders.

Why try to fix something that isn't broken? Any time this sort of thing comes up I'm always skeptical as I ultimately see it as folks wanting the same amount of reward as someone who puts in more work, but without putting in the extra work. If non-grinders want to have the same amount of dilithium that a grinder has, then they can either buy it or put in the work. Artificially limiting the amount a grinder can bring in because someone who does less work doesn't like it is a slap in the face to those who actually grind for their dilithium.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Why try to fix something that isn't broken? Any time this sort of thing comes up I'm always skeptical as I ultimately see it as folks wanting the same amount of reward as someone who puts in more work, but without putting in the extra work. If non-grinders want to have the same amount of dilithium that a grinder has, then they can either buy it or put in the work. Artificially limiting the amount a grinder can bring in because someone who does less work doesn't like it is a slap in the face to those who actually grind for their dilithium.

In my case I don't care either way *, I just look at what Cryptic does and attempt to understand their reasoning. It's a puzzle to solve.

My guess is that they have decided that keeping the non-grinder casuals happy is more important than keeping the grinders happy.

As to why, perhaps their data tells them the grinders don't spend as much real-world money over time, because the grinders just trade dil for zen to buy things.

The non-grinders might also have higher odds of turning into whales, which means keeping them playing long enough for that to happen is important.

( * except that I want Cryptic to be profitable enough to keep expanding the game )
  • Options
    asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    Maybe they could make the veteran refiner mission a bit more generous, like 3k pers 24h
  • Options

Because that person had to put in the time and effort to get those toons to where they could be played for only 15 minutes a toon vs the person putting in the same amount of effort for a single toon. The person with 28 toons put in far more work than the other person only doing the one. Thus the person with 28 should always have more refinement capacity than the other person for the simple fact they've done more to get it.

Why should someone who isn't willing to put in the extra time and effort get the same reward as someone who is? If I put in the time and effort to build up 28 toons, why should I not be allowed the extra dilithium since I've done the work to be able to produce more of it? Wanting my ability or the ability of other folks who can produce similar numbers limited because another person is either unwilling or unable to put in the same time and effort is a slap in the face to the work we did.

The fact that I have done more work to build up 27 additional toons than the person only working one toon is why I should be allowed to have more than he does. If/when he puts in the work, he will also be able to crank the same amount of dilithium as me. Again dilithium is limited purely by how many toons you're willing to run for the most part. Someone who puts in more effort will always and should always be able to refine more than the other person.
    The developers have decided, presumably for good reasons, that dilithium income should be limited to some amount per day rather than allowing for any time and effort the player is willing to put in. Otherwise, no point having a refine cap in the first place. However, that intention is undermined by the fact that a player who actually wanted to make dil farming a full-time job would run out of hours in a day before hitting the character slot cap.

For that matter, the only work one needs to do to construct additional pylons these days is claiming your admiralty cards one by one on a pre-leveled jem'hadar.

But that wasn't even my question. Why should a player who plays multiple toons (whether just as a farmer or otherwise) be massively rewarded over a player who plays the same amount on a single one?
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

The developers have decided, presumably for good reasons, that dilithium income should be limited to some amount per day rather than allowing for any time and effort the player is willing to put in. Otherwise, no point having a refine cap in the first place. However, that intention is undermined by the fact that a player who actually wanted to make dil farming a full-time job would run out of hours in a day before hitting the character slot cap.

For that matter, the only work one needs to do to construct additional pylons these days is claiming your admiralty cards one by one on a pre-leveled jem'hadar.

But that wasn't even my question. Why should a player who plays multiple toons (whether just as a farmer or otherwise) be massively rewarded over a player who plays the same amount on a single one?

They have already done their best to punish multiple characters. Yes you get more pylons for Dil grinding. You don't get account wide slots or unlocks for many things. Doff slots, Boff slots, Lobi sets/costumes, ship slots, Box ships/consoles, all kinds of stuff is per character. That actually heavily punishes people who want to play multiple characters, not just use them as pylons.

Zen store ships/costumes, yes those are accountwide, but how often is someone going to want the same ship on multiple characters they actually seriously play? I don't see real value to using the same ship on multiple characters unless I can make the build significantly different. Traits and admiralty are another matter of course.
  • Options

You're right, they have decided on a cap, and that was 8k per toon per day. As the saying goes, grind smarter not harder. Not seeing the problem here with things as they are now.

being able to claim admiralty cards on a jem'hadar requires having done work elsewhere. jem'hadar toons simply let you skip a bit of the leveling grind, but otherwise have the same limitations as the other toons. If you haven't done work to unlock ships on other toons, you won't have anything to claim on that jem'hadar toon. So once again, they are doing additional work to be able to give those items to that jem'hadar toon. Also Jem'hadar toons require you to have put in 20 hours of play time to claim most of the other rewards. jem'hadar toons do give great benefits, but you severely overestimate their value.

First on this point, time doesn't matter as much as effort does. Otherwise if you got more reward for simply spending more time, everyone would camp the living daylights out of a Gravity Kills for hours on end and then finish the queue. Second, the person running on the single toon is not and has not done the same amount of work as the person running multiple characters. I know some folks may not want to hear that but they're really not doing as much work as they think. If someone wants to be able to rake in the same amount of dilithium, they can put in the extra work to do it. I don't really see anything wrong with this concept. If someone does more work they should be getting more of a payout in terms of dilithium.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

• Options
    arion08arion08 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    The dil price is pretty high for a long time now, and whats worse is that this high price was continuous as phoenix packs had no decent effect for some time. This combined with the dil grind time and the frustration that even after the grind, weeks are needed to actually use the resources (refining time) has a negative impact on many players ( on new players is extremely demoralizing).

Many of my free to play friends (most spent around 10-20 Euro/month) are thinking that this is too much and even if they have 10-20 toons they decided to actually limit they time spent into the game and only grind for the needs of one character. So they log, do admiralty, 1-3 tfo's maybe contraband and sometimes events on 2-3 toons and that's all. So all they do now is play new story and and spend maybe 10m in some days grinding. And no more real money spent also. I strongly feel that at least 2-3 times a year should be an event ( like phoenix was) that will lower the zen /dil price by at least 30-40 % for 1-2 days. But this is not the right solution.

The prob imo is that dev treat dil/zen as a non maintenance system. Due to supply and demand as they always add new zen priced items and no dil priced items (at least nothing good) zen will be high price. So when adding new stuff for a limited (or not) time let one item price be dil and not zen.

Example: there are several 10th Anniversary Legendary Starships, make one sell for dil (maybe even more dil then what normal zen conversion price) so that's a dil item with high desirability. Now the grinders and f2p guys have a thing to do a and something to strive that's new and actually has good value. And add this to every new pack of box including lock box.

So instead of spending time to create and maintenance a separate dil sink use normal "production process" to balance zen market.
    Post edited by arion08 on
  • Options
    They already tried that though with DL store outfits. Didn't really work very well. Yea it dropped the price on the Exchange a couple points, but shortly after it went back up due to an event and stayed there.
  • Options
    arion08arion08 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    They already tried that though with DL store outfits. Didn't really work very well. Yea it dropped the price on the Exchange a couple points, but shortly after it went back up due to an event and stayed there.

LOL, that was not a try but a "scam" like mudd's market. Tell me what would you pick between the latest model of you preferred sports car and some cheap chinese made clothes priced the same as that sports car ? You don't realistically expect to put useless items at mad price and work ? This is not a fashion game its a ships game. Space barbie only comes after one gets every ships and weapons he wants.

Phoenix works cuz they have value as they enhance ships and equipment. If you dont put something of good value and trow garbage, guess what results you get.
  • Options
    People actually wanted the Enterprise era MACO outfit in game. The problem is it was provided as a 2 million DL character unlock.

I think they should just dump the DL outfits into a GPL store. Give us something to spend our mountains of GPL on.
  • Options
    the reason the dilithium store outfits failed to catch on as much is due to their insane dilithium price and the fact they were a single toon unlock only. Is there value in them, most certainly there is, but not 2m dilithium worth of value. I know everyone wouldn't be willing to do this, but I would've paid about 200k-300k at most for the outfit in terms of dilithium. It's a premium outfit so it commands a premium price, but it's still just an outfit. It doesn't give me anything that can effect the performance of my toon. If it gave me the costume unlock and then a full set of MACO themed gear, such as an alternate MACO Commander's Set or something like that, then I might consider investing the dilithium, but it would have to be an extremely potent set for 2m dilithium, and account unlock. Even at the highest price of 455 dilithium per zen i saw yesterday that's 4395 zen worth of dilithium they want for the outfit. I don't mind paying for stuff I want or grinding for it, but if that kind of a grind is expected of me, it better give me some fairly good advancements to my toon.

• Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    the reason the dilithium store outfits failed to catch on as much is due to their insane dilithium price and the fact they were a single toon unlock only. Is there value in them, most certainly there is, but not 2m dilithium worth of value. I know everyone wouldn't be willing to do this, but I would've paid about 200k-300k at most for the outfit in terms of dilithium. It's a premium outfit so it commands a premium price, but it's still just an outfit. It doesn't give me anything that can effect the performance of my toon. If it gave me the costume unlock and then a full set of MACO themed gear, such as an alternate MACO Commander's Set or something like that, then I might consider investing the dilithium, but it would have to be an extremely potent set for 2m dilithium, and account unlock. Even at the highest price of 455 dilithium per zen i saw yesterday that's 4395 zen worth of dilithium they want for the outfit. I don't mind paying for stuff I want or grinding for it, but if that kind of a grind is expected of me, it better give me some fairly good advancements to my toon.

I really with PWE would give us a half off sale on those Dilithium outfits or toss them up in Mudd's Market as an account wide unlock. It is a lot of Dilithium to sink on fluff when there are plenty of better things to waste that Dilithium on. Phoenix Boxes are always useful because upgrades are pretty much an never ending need.
  • Options
    asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    People actually wanted the Enterprise era MACO outfit in game. The problem is it was provided as a 2 million DL character unlock.

I think they should just dump the DL outfits into a GPL store. Give us something to spend our mountains of GPL on.

This sounds reasonable.

I would buy the costumes, but 2mil DIL is not what I would pay, I can use that DIL to get Zen.
  • Options
    This sounds reasonable.

I would buy the costumes, but 2mil DIL is not what I would pay, I can use that DIL to get Zen.

Hell... I wouldn't mind paying 2 mil GPL for a character unlock.

Then again I've got enough to build the Great Pyramids of Giza. GIVE ME SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT! lol
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Second, the person running on the single toon is not and has not done the same amount of work as the person running multiple characters.
    The question as I asked it says that he has and is.
    You do realize that setting up a toon to be used as an additional pylon costs money...right? Even if you use somebody else's money with converting dil to zen. The actual SLOT costs money for one.
    Again, I'm not talking about setting up anything. I'm talking about playing the game. Why is a given amount of gameplay worth more spread between multiple toons?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    A Dilithium sink needs to be steady. Phoenix Upgrades aren't bad, but even there comes a time your gear is all Mark XV Epic and you don't feel like getting new gear anymore.

It would need to be something that you must spend on money regularly. Basically like food or rent. Consumables, limited use items. And it also must be desirable to players to have ,so either must make you look cooler (or "unique") or fight better, ideally have something of both to appeal to different players.
    • Linear Polarized Dekalithium: Use once to instantly gain +25 current and max power for 30 seconds. Cooldown: 3 minutes: Cost: 500 Dilithium
    • Circular Polarized Dekalithium: Use to instantly recharge transwarp and quantum slipstream drive and gain +100 % bonus to sector space and impulse speed for 30 seconds. Cooldown: 3 minutes. Cost: 500 Dilithium
    • Time Crystal: Use to instantly recharge all bridge officer powers and all kit powers (works on ground and space). Cooldown: 3 minutes. Cost: 500 Dilithium
    • Multiphasic Holo-Emitter: Pick a ship and a customization you own for it, and apply it to any other ship you own. Lasts for 8 hours (actual gameplay time). Cooldown 4 Hours. Multiple applications refresh duration. Cost: 4,000 Dilithium.
    Maybe make them craftable items, so you can also drain some crafting supplies from the game, and crafting also serves more of a purpose. Up to 5 items at a time, 30 seconds crafting time.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Linear Polarized Dekalithium: Use once to instantly gain +25 current and max power for 30 seconds. Cooldown: 3 minutes: Cost: 500 Dilithium

why would anyone intelligent EVER buy this when they can get a PERMANENT version that recharges a minute faster out of the phoenix store for far cheaper?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.