What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Earn Event Rewards Quicker!

Comments

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Simply doing the episode alone each day would be enough to get the ship within the time limit, though it would then take 27 days instead of 20 to get.
    I love the "simply".

Hey guys, SIMPLY do the exact long same thing with no variation whatsoever 27 times. Surely you won't want to quit after a dozen or so.

At least, in Warframe, even if you have one specific type of missions to do again and again for whatever reason, you get variations, with the map being different, different bonuses to collect that can appear and collecting them give you a reward elsewhere, specific bosses that can randomly spawn and even your mission control going "Bah, tribble it, ignore your objectives, just kill everyone". Heck, you can even use that mission to open their equivalent of lockboxes.

But in STO, the mission is exactly the same all the time. You don't even have specific objectives related to your profession or your skills. The only things different are whether your character already knows Kuumaarke and/or Patel and whether you're Romulan or not, and that's just dialogue.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Remember, for the Anniversary when you run the Featured Episode (or the two this year with the two Discovery stunted Episodes) the first time you get 10 days progress towards the 25 days or 40%. The first time you run the 'Featured' Episode with the Quicker, Easier Event Reward System©®™ change you get 3.7% progress. Just like you would for the other 26 days that you run it.

And the 'Featured' Episode Rewards since the Age of Discovery released would be jealous of lackluster rewards.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    No ship event has ever been run that could be done in 14 days. Anniversary is the shortest at 15 while summer/winter are 25 and the coupon event 60 days minus a few bonus weekends.

This is the second shortest ship event in the game's history.

Nor would it necessarily require doing multiple missions per day, either. Simply doing the episode alone each day would be enough to get the ship within the time limit, though it would then take 27 days instead of 20 to get.

Yea that's why I said it was similar to many Ship events; and at 20 days it's slightly faster than Winter/Summer events.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Simply doing the episode alone each day would be enough to get the ship within the time limit, though it would then take 27 days instead of 20 to get.
    I love the "simply".

Hey guys, SIMPLY do the exact long same thing with no variation whatsoever 27 times. Surely you won't want to quit after a dozen or so.

Yup! It's like we should be grateful for having two "wonderful" options:
    - either spend more time than before, each day, to get the ship in 20 days;
    - or "simply" do the same piece of content each day... for 27 days.

So, you take less days, but way more total time OR (more or less) the same total time but more days.
    That's not quicker, LOL.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I love the "simply".

All previous events in STO have been to do the same exact thing with no variation whatsoever every day for X days. You know, the events that people in this thread are so loudly complaining about being changed (even though none of them has been run with the new system yet).

The current event is the first one to actually have 7 different eligible missions to choose from. It is the most variation any event in STO has ever had. However, some people have rejected playing more than one mission per day just to be contrarian so I was pointing out that argument is also false. It is in fact possible to finish the event in time playing only one mission per day.

Though it is my opinion that the real underlying thought behind the topic is that most of the complainers want rewards just handed to them and any amount of gameplay at all would always be "grinding" to them.
    At least, in Warframe, even if you have one specific type of missions to do again and again for whatever reason, you get variations, with the map being different, different bonuses to collect that can appear and collecting them give you a reward elsewhere, specific bosses that can randomly spawn and even your mission control going "Bah, tribble it, ignore your objectives, just kill everyone". Heck, you can even use that mission to open their equivalent of lockboxes.
    STO is capable of randomized enemy spawns, randomized objectives, etc. It's just rather meaningless when all the enemies are all pretty much the same helpless rubber ducks with different graphics and the objectives are all either optional or "just kill everyone" to begin with.

And I would certainly appreciate having unique random drops to collect in STO, too. Not just for events, either. It would make the game so much more interesting. But some people tend to scream their heads off at the very thought of non-guaranteed rewards. Guess who Cryptic listens to?
  • Options
    All previous events in STO have been to do the same exact thing with no variation whatsoever every day for X days.
    Here's the major difference: Most of them could be completed in less than 5 minutes: the jetpack, the ice-running, and in ONE go. You did one mission and that was it, you were done for the day for this event. Also, you had other activities with them with many OTHER rewards to break the monotony if you wanted.
    The current event is the first one to actually have 7 different eligible missions to choose from. It is the most variation any event in STO has ever had. However, some people have rejected playing more than one mission per day just to be contrarian so I was pointing out that argument is also false. It is in fact possible to finish the event in time playing only one mission per day.
    And guess what? More isn't better in that case because those 7 different missions offer a different amount of points. And no matter what you have to do at least 2 missions to reach the 60 limit. You can play only one mission per day, but then, you need 27 days to complete the bar... out of 30 available. And 3 days can be easily missed.
    Though it is my opinion that the real underlying thought behind the topic is that most of the complainers want rewards just handed to them and any amount of gameplay at all would always be "grinding" to them.
    And here we go, the strawman point. "You just want the rewards handed to you and you're just lazy". I won't even bother trying to debunk this, just pointing out I reached the current level cap in Warframe, which means I farmed, unlocked and grinded through 65 Frames, more than 300 weapons, more than a dozen of pets and completed every mission and quests it had to offer.

The difference is I had fun most of the time doing so, including their events.

Fun-fact, the last one, the new summer event, was considered the grindiest of all, but it still was fun for many people with its hilarious context (the equivalent in STO would be Sela getting drunk on ale and siccing Tal Shiar on you by giving them and you swimsuits, floaters and water guns to fight on Risa and being a good sport at that) and because it gave toys for your pets to play with, a scenery to take pictures, among other things.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    @warpangel you will never understand some people have limits to their schedule, life outside star trek online, jobs, fatigue if they cant handle long drawn out activities, other responsibilities etc, and cant give the game what it wants in order to complete an event. so i will stop here and not try to further explain since its apparent you do not understand the needs and limits of others.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    All previous events in STO have been to do the same exact thing with no variation whatsoever every day for X days.
    Here's the major difference: Most of them could be completed in less than 5 minutes: the jetpack, the ice-running, and in ONE go. You did one mission and that was it, you were done for the day for this event. Also, you had other activities with them with many OTHER rewards to break the monotony if you wanted.
    And guess what? More isn't better in that case because those 7 different missions offer a different amount of points. And no matter what you have to do at least 2 missions to reach the 60 limit. You can play only one mission per day, but then, you need 27 days to complete the bar... out of 30 available. And 3 days can be easily missed.
    Those 7 different missions must be completed 8 times each to get 1,200 points, which is in any objective measurement less repetitive than doing the same one every day.
    And here we go, the strawman point. "You just want the rewards handed to you and you're just lazy". I won't even bother trying to debunk this, just pointing out I reached the current level cap in Warframe, which means I farmed, unlocked and grinded through 65 Frames, more than 300 weapons, more than a dozen of pets and completed every mission and quests it had to offer.[/quote]
    Well, that's good. It would after all be pretty hypocritical to start a post by complaining the event takes more than 5 minutes to play and then pretend it's not a demand for less gameplay.
    The difference is I had fun most of the time doing so, including their events.

Fun-fact, the last one, the new summer event, was considered the grindiest of all, but it still was fun for many people with its hilarious context (the equivalent in STO would be Sela getting drunk on ale and siccing Tal Shiar on you by giving them and you swimsuits, floaters and water guns to fight on Risa and being a good sport at that) and because it gave toys for your pets to play with, a scenery to take pictures, among other things.
    I've never played Warframe and know nothing about it so I'm not qualified to discuss it.

But fun is subjective. Personally I find the Mycelial event a lot more fun than STO's usual fare. I've never felt the need to pull up the Admiralty window to pass the time while waiting out some doing-anything-is-optional queue to auto-win, rolled my eyes like I do at the login-bonusness of the Summer/Winter ship "races," waited out a bazillion loading screens like the Anniversary go-everywhere-to-AFK-a-minigame event, etc.
  • Options
    Those 7 different missions must be completed 8 times each to get 1,200 points, which is in any objective measurement less repetitive than doing the same one every day.
    I'm pretty sure if you ask people to choose between doing one single 2-minute mission 25 times and doing 2-4 missions that combined last at least 20 minutes 20 times, they'll go with the one that lasts the shortest even if you have to do it more times if the difference between the two is just 5 runs.

It's a game, it's not supposed to be a second job where you can't even do overtime.
    Well, that's good. It would after all be pretty hypocritical to start a post by complaining the event takes more than 5 minutes to play and then pretend it's not a demand for less gameplay.
    Of course not, it's not like the patrols and TFO can have less gameplay than they already are, since it's the same "fend off waves of House Mo'Kai enemies (except for Sentinels and sometimes The 9th Rule) after interacting with something and repeat".
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited September 2019
    "Strange game."

I swear, I've never seen a group of people NOT want to play a game more than some of the folks I see here, yet continue to do so, complain about "having to/forced to" do it and it not being enjoyable or a grind/work.
    Games are meant to be fun, and if you're not having fun, then why are you here? Seriously, if you're that burnt out, if you're not having fun, then take a break. The game will still be here if/when you decide to come back.

"The only winning move is not to play."
    - Joshua
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    "Strange game."

I swear, I've never seen a group of people NOT want to play a game more than some of the folks I see here, yet continue to do so, complain about "having to/forced to" do it and it not being enjoyable or a grind/work.
    Games are meant to be fun, and if you're not having fun, then why are you here? Seriously, if you're that burnt out, if you're not having fun, then take a break. The game will still be here if/when you decide to come back.

- Joshua
    Please stop generalizing to "people always complain about the game" when it's about "people having criticism about an aspect of the game", this is getting annoying and not what we should expect from a moderator.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options

These aren't "most of the complainers", although I guess there are people like that. But those people don't "complain" here, they either open their wallets and use the buy-out option, or they just leave. What I, and from the impression I got from actually reading their posts, most of the other "complainers" do, is voicing concerns about the direction the game I love despite of its numerous shortcomings, is taking.

The main problem with the new event isn't the number of days you have to do something, but the amount of time you have to spent for achieving the goal each day. If you love the content you have to do, good for you! To me the patrols are repetitive, they feel all the same with different shenanigans. I played one every now and then when I played the episode. After a few days I needed a break from the episode and the patrols and played two TFOs, to eventually bother less with the event at all with every passing day.

I'm still looking how things will progress, but at the moment I have to realize, that event-fatigue settles in much earlier than in previous events, and I found myself to not bother with the event but to build my fleet instead on several days I managed to log into the game.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• Options
    "Strange game."

- Joshua

It's sad that you have to be either cheering for everything, or belong to "a group of people NOT want to play a game ... yet continue to do so". As I've said before, I love the game, and I bet so do most of the other "complainers". If they wouldn't at least care about the game, they wouldn't post here, and follow your advice to just leave. But I hope not that's the intention of the changes, to make people leave the game.

• Options
    For my part I like the direction the the game has taken with the latest season in general and the Mycelial event in specific very much. I find it to be much more fun and engaging than what came before and I hope the devs stay their course.
  • Options
    roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Ok every one lets take a step back here for a minute. As i see it in this thread people don't like the new rules as it were for events. I can see that and to some extent understand it. On the other hand lets look at this from an objective view.

If it takes 30 min to cover 2 tfo's for the event. And we consider the hours in the day we are looking at 2.8% worth of time. A hour at the max time we are seeing 4.17% of your day.

Now as i can't speak for everyone so lets get that out right away. If i can't find 2.8% worth in my day to do the event then to be honest i need to be doing other things with my time. Like bettering my skill set for a new job, learning more information to manage my time and max the benefits of my time that is limited. Cut out other activity that is not of real use to me. Create a list of priority as to what matters to me and decide what it is i am after.

As to the whole money aspect of this event well if my time is so much more valuable to me in other activity then i have the option to buy or not. Is 60$ to much in my mind yes so for me i wont buy it simple. As to others well its 2$ a day cost to this event. So 5$ coffee skip it every other day and you have the cost of the event. Skip 1 or 2 trips to the movies this month at least in my area its no less the 25$ each trip and you have most of the event in question. So a little time in the event every other day a tfo and you have it.

As to the changes them self well no i am not a fan of them over all and want them to just run an event and then toss the items in the zen store for any one to buy later but lets face it not on the to do list i am sure but the buy out is at least better than the lobi option of before.

As to the difference in time % well its 0.35% for 5 min vs the 2.8% for a 30 min time. So it takes around 8 times longer compared to a standard winter/summer event ship based on a % of 24 hours. I am not blinded to this difference and it can be upsetting to me as well as others i am sure.

As to the other in game things social, fleet, ship mastering, ect. if you have limited time and who is not limited these days then decide on your in game priority. Have a fleet well if it cant understand you need the event items just like everyone else then may be time to rethink the fleet. friends demanding time in game if they cant understand you have limited of it then may be time to rethink it.

In the end all i am saying is pick your priority in life. Is it family, job, social interaction at a club, beer with the guys at the local bar, shopping a mall or clothing centers. Where ever a game falls and a digital data entry falls in your life. Decide where it falls in your priority and go with it.

Now I do understand this sounds like some rant or inflaming post its not it is a look at my life and my view regarding this event. In some way it could help a person look at it in a different light or not depends on your point of view on life.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • Options
    @saurializard @coldnapalm I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, I was voicing my opinion as a fellow player, not as a moderator. As a moderator, I do my best to be as impartial and objective as I can be when evaluating comments while measuring them against the forum rules. In my role as moderator, I may make statements of fact that essentially reiterate facts already stated by the devs. If I state an opinion, it is mine, and mine alone, and I have every right to it as much as you or anyone else here. In either capacity though, I am capable of discerning complaining from criticism. And just so we are clear, in my opinion as a player, when I see people talking about having to play the game for 20-30 minutes versus 2-5 minutes and they're not enjoying it, that's not criticism, that's complaining. If you're not having fun,
    then what are you doing? Don't twist my words, though, I never said quit, I said take a break. And for the record, I'm not burnt out on moderating. My opinion has nothing to do with moderating.

@sharmutashlikha#2072 and to anyone else who has expressed this concern: What's the problem with the direction the game is taking with regard to the event system? The devs have finally come up with an event system that they can change and tailor to do and be almost anything they want! AND they now have the ability to hook endeavors into it, too! Consider the Shesar Dreadnought kill endeavor, which specifically pointed you to the event episode for credit. Two birds, one stone: endeavor and event progress accomplished all at once. Integrating these two systems is something the devs have expressed wanting to do. Endeavors were all about rewarding players for things they may already be doing. Events now can do the same thing. Want to earn Starship Mastery, and only have 30 minutes? Run the event patrols and do both at the same time.

I'm glad that some players are recognizing that this particular event is still a bit of an experiment. The first experiment being the meta multi TFO event, which allowed tracking progress across multiple event TFOs, which contributed the same amount of progress towards completion. Now, it's tracking progress within the same event, but across multiple and varied types of content with varying amounts of contribution towards progress. After this, I'm sure they'll have some good data to work with when it comes time to revamp the other events. Imagine not having to run "Fastest Game on Ice" for 25 days next year to get the Winter Event Ship, but being able to participate in any winter activities to earn the ship. Some players have actually asked for this, and others have complained about the monotony of running the same mission for days. Variety is now possible.

Some players have been unfairly comparing this particular event to previous 14 day TFO events and the 25 day seasonal events. First, the big prize from this event is an account unlocked T6 ship. More effort should be expected for getting such a reward. If you think about it, it's utterly ridiculous that we had to put in more effort running a 15 minute Mirror Invasion for 14 days to earn a torpedo, than we did running around a track for 2 minutes to get a T6 Winter event ship. Yeah, Marks and Dilithium came with the 14 day trinkets, but as others have pointed out numerous times, there are faster, more efficient ways to earn both doing other content. For your 20-30 minutes of effort towards earning event progress, depending on what you choose to run, you can earn: XP (Skill and Specialization), Starship Mastery XP (potentially unlocking Traits on multiple ships), Marks (limited, I know, to Fleet and Discovery for this particular event), Dilithium, loot drops (potential EC earning). While some or all of that was possible with some previous events, none of it was possible while trying to earn a T6 ship, which also awards weapons and upgrade tokens, plus an ever increasing amount of Dilithium with continued participation.

And I'm glad that the Zen buyout hasn't been entirely forgotten, because this event has a SCALING Zen buyout, which has never been done before. Participate as much or as little as you want and buyout the rest, if you so desire, and you can see EXACTLY how much it'll cost you as you go along. Any previous "buyout" cost Lobi, which was hella more expensive due to only being able to get an unknown amount of Lobi from Lockboxes, and had to be done during the event. At least this buyout option remains for awhile after the event ends, allowing you to claim the prize and the account unlock.

Do you really only have 2-5 minutes to play a game? If so, then I agree with @roguealltrek , maybe you need to prioritize your time. But if you do have more time, and you have other in-game goals, why can't you accomplish them at the same time? @sharmutashlikha#2072 mentioned working on their Fleet. I'm doing the same thing. I'm earning my event progress by running the mission, TFO, and/or patrols, all the while earning XP, Marks, Dilithium, and EC from loot drops, which I contribute to my Fleet projects. At the same time, I'm leveling toons, their Specializations, and Starship Mastery. The Fleet Credits they earn from those contributions, I turn around to improve the toons by buying Fleet BOFFs, DOFFs, and gear to use in other content once the event ends.

I really don't understand the pushback with this new event system. Granted it can take 30 minutes to max out your daily participation, but that 30 minutes is doing so much more than the 2-5 minutes previously spent. Nothing about "Flying High" contributed towards leveling a toon, increasing Specializations, or earning Starship Mastery. Nothing about "Fastest Game on Ice" allowed one to level a Reputation track, earn Reputation gear, or contribute to Fleet projects. And all of the previous events were the same mission, day after day after day, with no choices to change things up if you got bored.

Personally, I'm getting a lot more out of this event than I have on any of the previous ones. This new event system has so much potential and utilization. All I'd ask is, just give it time and a chance to evolve.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    For my part I like the direction the the game has taken with the latest season in general and the Mycelial event in specific very much. I find it to be much more fun and engaging than what came before and I hope the devs stay their course.

And honestly...that is fine. What I have a problem with is when you try to spin it like the new event structure is quicker when it really isn't. You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. So stop attempting to spin this for those those of us who don't like it. It doesn't work...and only makes you look bad.
    I'm not "spinning" it in any way. It's pure math. The average day-count for the annual standard ship events is 21,7 days (from 25/25/15...lets not count the coupon event since it may well have been a one-off). The Mycelial event, at 20 days, therefore requires a below average daycount for a ship event.

I have certainly never claimed it would take less time per day to do the mission(s). On the contrary, I have repeatedly said that the event having more gameplay in it is something I like.

And as pointed out some pages back, the article and thread title doesn't even refer to events becoming shorter, but to the new UI requiring less clickywork.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    coldnapalm wrote: »

And honestly...that is fine. What I have a problem with is when you try to spin it like the new event structure is quicker when it really isn't. You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts. So stop attempting to spin this for those those of us who don't like it. It doesn't work...and only makes you look bad.
    I'm not "spinning" it in any way. It's pure math. The average day-count for the annual standard ship events is 21,7 days (from 25/25/15...lets not count the coupon event since it may well have been a one-off). The Mycelial event, at 20 days, therefore requires a below average daycount for a ship event.

I have certainly never claimed it would take less time per day to do the mission(s). On the contrary, I have repeatedly said that the event having more gameplay in it is something I like.

And as pointed out some pages back, the article and thread title doesn't even refer to events becoming shorter, but to the new UI requiring less clickywork.
    You are spinning it as that’s not the average day count. 20 days is the minimum day count if you want to do quadruple the amount of older event daily work. That means the average day count is well beyond 20days. In fact if are only doing 1 daily 10min event like the older events then the average day count goes up to 80days. If you average out days played for how long it takes a large group of players to get the reward the average will not be 20days it will be much longer.

The minimum, the average day count and the amount of time needed in game to get access to the reward are all now massively longer.

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    “I really don't understand the pushback with this new event system.”
    Its pretty clear as while the idea behind it is good the way its been implanted puts us players as a major disadvantage over the old system. For me the new system has removed a bunch of very positive features from the old event system and added zero useful or positive features. So of course like the others players I am going push back. We see it as a downgrade for a good reason as for many of us the new event systems functions far worse then the old system while given us nothing we see as a benefit.

For me this has been the worst event since the game started. Having always run the extra days I had until now a 99% event daily run rate since the game came out all those years ago. Now the system is so bad I wont be running those extra days at all. While the new system has potential right now its utilization is way worse than the old system. I cannot speak for the entire player base but it sounds like there are other players like me that are going to have a drop off in event days they run.

As much as I love the idea of the new patrols I think it has been really poorly implanted along with the new event UI. The devs completely missed the point on what made the old patrols fun and they have taken the wrong approach with the new event system and new patrols. Just like the now not so new queue UI, last reputation UI revamp, CE revamp, No Win revamp and others all of which have been revamped to be worse then the older system they replaced. The one system they did get right was Endeavours but again I still see that as a large missed opportunity that they didn't take far enough. Endeavours are great but they could also be so much more.

EDIT: One example of how the new system is worse. In the old system I could at a quick glance in seconds precisely tell how many days I had run, how many days I need to run and work out if there enough time left to unlock the reward.

In the new system that’s impossible for me to work out in seconds at a quick glance. The new system fails to do its core job of giveing me the most important information I need to know compared to the old system. The information is there but its way less helpful then the old system and takes far to long to work out.

“All I'd ask is, just give it time and a chance to evolve.”
    The problem is recently the devs have a track record of not evolving things. They revamp a system, abandoned it and move onto the next thing even if the changes turn out to be worse. There is a long list of systems over recently years that been revamped in the name of making things better only to make things worse and then abandoned with no improvements. There have been a few exceptions but not many.

EDIT: Two of the worse cases was the Original No Win and later the Colony Simulation which I used to rate both as one of the top 5 things the devs added in game. Only the devs decided to make changes to both in revamps killing both of them off, ok not killing but driving players away and never evolving them back to being good again. Just like they did with the latest CE revamp. I played that daily for years now I don't go near it.
  • Options
    In either capacity though, I am capable of discerning complaining from criticism. And just so we are clear, in my opinion as a player, when I see people talking about having to play the game for 20-30 minutes versus 2-5 minutes and they're not enjoying it, that's not criticism, that's complaining. If you're not having fun,
    then what are you doing? Don't twist my words, though, I never said quit, I said take a break. And for the record, I'm not burnt out on moderating. My opinion has nothing to do with moderating.
    It's not the issue of the playtime necessary to complete the daily.
    If you give me a daily that needs 2 hours to complete, I'll gladly do it (if it's enjoyable)

IF

it doesn't take a mandatory row of 20 days to complete.

That's it, that's my problem with how the events are designed in this game.

Personally and basically, I have 2 issues with the game and it's not about the time necessary to complete a daily but how many dailies you need to do and how they're locked behind a 1-day gate. It's not even a reset at a specific hour every day like Warframe does, a mandatory 20-hour wait. If you know you won't be available one day, you can't just go "oh well, I'll do the daily this morning, instead of the evening, so I'll have done it this day".

And you can't go "OK, I have this whole day off and dunno what to do so I could take the opportunity to get as many tokens as possible, so I'll have a nice head start in case something happens later that prevents me from playing".
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Games are meant to be fun, and if you're not having fun, then why are you here?
    Honest answer... because 'exclusivity'. I do enjoy playing the current 'non-featured' FTFO but did not want yet another 'time limited exclusive event' in late summer - early fall.

How many 'time limited exclusive' ship events per year are optimal? Currently we're up to summer, winter, anniversary, ship token event, and this event. That's over one per quarter. These are interspersed with other 'time limited exclusive' events. The ability to take a break from any of the 'time limited exclusive events' was removed... the play more when you're able so you can play less when you have to thing also called flexibility, and replaced by a zen buyout. The time requirements for this event in general (depending upon how you frame it) may also be increased.

Can you really blame some players for pushing back a little at a new system that's (imho) more designed to manage your play time behavior than anything else?
    I'm glad that some players are recognizing that this particular event is still a bit of an experiment.
    Acknowledged.
    All I'd ask is, just give it time and a chance to evolve.
    I'm trying. Your perspective is always appreciated.
  • Options
    @pottsey5g I've been reading your posts. I understand you've been having difficulties with this event, and I sympathize with your plight in trying to participate. Your other criticisms I don't necessarily agree with, but I hear you.

@saurializard Now that's criticism, constructive even, and some I, for one, can get behind. If the qualifying activities aren't enjoyable to you personally, I can see where it wouldn't matter how the event works. I'm glad to get a better understanding of your position. A fixed time, like midnight, where the counter reset to make it true daily event participation would be an improvement in my opinion. It does suck if I have time at 5pm to get my participation in, but I can't until 7pm when I might not be able to. But sitting down and potentially grinding out an event in record time? I don't know about that. We know that the devs want players participating throughout the event. It's one of the reasons they changed winter/summer events, so players couldn't stockpile tokens to get next year's ship and avoid the event entirely. (Hey! Not blaming or fingerpointing at anyone. I was just as guilty of it.) But the meta event included bonus days to earn double participation, so I could support seeing more of that, which could help alleviate the participation issues you mentioned and grant some flexibility.

@protoneous I know I said this before at the time it happened, so I'll go on record again to say, I've never agreed with the move to event exclusivity. I liked that if you missed the previous summer/winter event, you could still slot that ship project the following year. It helped give participation flexibility to players who might miss the event, and new players who weren't even around at the time. I advocated for CC and MI to work the same way, especially since those at the time were single character unlocks. Token hoarding for "just in case," I get it. I did it, too. But I can see where that could be abused, and so, I'm less upset at its removal. The Zen buyout, in my opinion, is a good compromise. It allows the player who cannot participate fully or at all to obtain the reward, and it helps fund the game. One could grind up the Zen in anticipation for an upcoming event as an equivalent to the token pre-grinding of previous events, I suppose. The one thing with this system that so far I don't agree with is removing the uncompleted reward after the event is over and after the "second chance" option has ended. I think, if you participated in the event, even one day, then the reward should go to the C-Store at its scaled down price. Due to whatever circumstances, you couldn't finish or afford the buyout at the time. You were there. You participated. You still deserve the option to buyout later when circumstances are more favorable to you. New players who weren't around at the time or those who just chose not to participate, I have no issue with having to get their single character rewards from the Phoenix Box*. I can understand event burnout, though. I get it sometimes, too. As for managing play time behavior: didn't all events really do that, though? If you wanted to participate, you had to do that one event over and over again. There was no choice. No variety. At least we have that now.

*Phoenix Boxes: Though I like that they were introduced and allow players to obtain rewards they may have missed, there is one thing I'd change: allow trading up of Vouchers. Keep the drop rates as they are, or even lower them for all I care, just allow players to trade up. I think players would buy more Phoenix Boxes knowing that they could still eventually get their Epic Vouchers even if they had to trade up to get them. They're still single character rewards, what's the harm?
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Games are meant to be fun, and if you're not having fun, then why are you here?
    Honest answer... because 'exclusivity'.

Yeah, this has to be my biggest reason why I'm continuing to burn myself out with this event. I have fun with the game, which is why I'm here. I take the time out of my schedule to enjoy a fun game. Unfortunately, life has dealt me a rather harsh hand over the last few months, and where I used to be able to play the game for an hour or more a day, I'm very VERY lucky to get 20 to 30 minutes anymore.

And since this event takes at least that amount of time to ensure enough progress to get the exclusive item, the only thing I'm actually doing in game until this event ends is just event related tasks. No random queue or two, no missions, just event grind.

Under the old system you still had to "be here" to slot the project, and hopefully make progress on it, but you could always finish it later once the event cycled back around. Yes, that meant sometimes waiting a year or more, but it was an option. If this was something that I could make progress on while I can, and then come back to it at a later time or the next run of the event, then I may not have as big a problem with it. But with this new system, you either get it all now, or you miss out entirely.

Or pay.

While I can't thoroughly condemn Cryptic/PWE for wanting to make money, this optional buyout is almost as bad as lockboxes, in my eyes. The only saving grace is you know what you're getting up front. It's just not worth it to me to pay for missing even a single days worth of progress. I wind up one day short, no ship for me. Even if they had a special sale granting those final points needed for 1 Zen. I'll stick to my principles.

And before people start in on me, yes, I know this is for a ship and some gear and upgrade doohickeys and it should be more involving or take a larger number of days to complete. But here's my problem with this event.

The Anniversary event ship would normally take 25 days to get, but by running a mission or two you get a huge bonus to cut down on the grind, making it a 15/21 day project. I'm fine with that because the daily event to finish off that project takes 5-ish minutes at most. So, I can run the missions once and then be able to finish with the very short daily task.

The Summer and Winter events require 25/42-ish days to complete, but there is only the very short daily task which again, only takes 5-ish minutes or less per day. Yes, a longer grind in number of days, but the daily investment is short, leaving time to do other things in game.

This new event is 20/30 days and the daily time requirement is 20-30 minutes, or more, depending on the individual. Per day time investment is much higher with this event and that I think is where many people have an issue with it.

Okay, this is a first attempt using this new system and perhaps the Devs overreached with it. Perhaps they will see player feedback and dial it down the next time there is a ship involved. Since we haven't seen a "gear only" event under the new system, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it will be not as extreme as this one has been. But if a gear only event requires not one run of a task, but 2 or more, then there will probably be issues amongst some players.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    for me this is very simple, I don't like the disco stuff, I tried the new system and like it is only disco stuff (even the patrols), it is not for me. And anyway i'm tired by all the perpetual grind, and the new system adds even more grind.

currently, I only express my dissatisfaction by taking a break and keeping my wallet closed. Anyway, the devs almost never listen to the remarks, so I stop doing them.
  • Options

If you love the content you have to do, good for you!

• Options
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Under the old system you still had to "be here" to slot the project, and hopefully make progress on it, but you could always finish it later once the event cycled back around. Yes, that meant sometimes waiting a year or more, but it was an option. If this was something that I could make progress on while I can, and then come back to it at a later time or the next run of the event, then I may not have as big a problem with it. But with this new system, you either get it all now, or you miss out entirely.

Or pay.

Exactly. The old seasonal events with the short tasks made me log on, and as the task was done quickly, I was able to do something else in-game (other event activity--don't forget that winter/summer event never only was the ship, and for me, especially summer event, was the highlight of the year--, a TFO etc.). And if I didn't have the time to finish the event during its run, I could continue the following years during the respective events.
    With the new system, I'll probably have to learn to say good bye to exclusivity. If the reward isn't attractive enough to me to even bother, that's easy. But if the reward is something I want to have, the problems begin, because even if I am willing to spend money (and I do in irregular intervals, when I have money to spare) I have to do that at fixed points in time: either during the event, or during second chance period. If I don't have the amount of zen at these times, I'm out of luck.

I'm still observing how things progress with the new system during this and the events to come, but things being as they are right now, the probability is high that I won't participate in events for the shiny but for the reward of the single content available for the events. And that means I won't make the impossible possible to squeeze out the time it takes to log on and participate in events on otherwise busy days in the future.

• Options
    salvation4salvation4 Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    My short version on this...

The system is good and the UI needs a good clean up (We have the new events tab in the Journal and the Events tab in the Character profile Reputation tab, there is no need of two places to view the events the UI is a topic in its own right and a discussion for another time), but the way in which this event NEEDS to be done is extremely repetitive, 2 (45+15)/3 (30+15+15)/4 (15 x 4) times a day for 20 days or so which in turn becomes tiresome and a horrible grind, consuming more daily time as opposed to event duration, in short we are doing anywhere from 40 to 80 runs of the same content now as opposed to 20 runs in the previous format..Our previous events were not like this, more like get in get out scenarios in a short amount of time..The previous event spanning 3 FTFO's was a good idea, this event seemed to go in the opposite direction..I am already thinking about dropping this event and do the normal TFO's, patrols and Doff missions at least there is variety there and not this kind of bad repetition..
    Adrian-Uss Sovereign NCC-73811 (LVL 65 FED ENG) UR/E MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (April 2012) (Main)
    Adu-Uss Firefox NCC-93425-F (LVL 65 FED AoY ENG) UR/VR MKXV Fleet Intel Assault Cruiser (July 2016)
    Jean-Uss Seratoga Ravenna (LVL 60 FED Delta ENG) UC/R MKVI Bajoran Escort (April 2018)
    Dubsa-RRW Mnaudh (LVL 50 FED allied ROM Delta ENG) Warbird (May 2018)
    Marop-IKS Orunthi (LVL 50 KNG Delta ENG) BoP (May 2018)
    Kanak'lan-TRIBBLE (LVL 65 DOM Gamma ENG) TRIBBLE (June 2018)
This discussion has been closed.