test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Discovery Operations Pack!

Comments

• starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    wilv wrote: »
    I'm confused will the ships in the pack include the DISCO skins, or is that restricted to the Fleet versions?

This is what I would like to know too.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • sftricksftrick Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    There's no reason to think the ships won't have Discovery skins. Every Discovery-era ship released so far has them -- and it'd be a level of ridiculous even beyond the most ridiculous Cryptic standards to leave Discovery skins off Discovery-era ships.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2019
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ferroequus wrote: »
    Here is a Romulan ship I'd like to see come to STO:

1593.jpg

I see a LOT of similarities with Klingon BoPs, so it looks more like a Klingon ship imho.

remember the bird of prey was originally a romulan design kruge stole

That was disproven by the fact that the Klingons were using BoP's in 'Enterprise', of a very similar design to the (later in the timeline) B'Rel (Kruge's ship) seen in TSFS.
    latest?cb=20150901135216

that doesnt change the fact that the original models were created IRL with romulans in mind not klingons, FASA used that at the time when making their TWOK era warbirds, which also pre-date ENT by a few decades
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,672 Community Manager
    In addition to the previously announced 30% off sale, the Discovery Operations Pack has gotten even better! For purchasers of the Discovery Starter Pack, you'll be able to buy the Operations Pack for 10500 ZEN. In addition, the two bridge officers are now account wide unlocks!
  • captaintredegarcaptaintredegar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    congrats everyone, they listened to us, ships, boffs and outfits are account wide unlocks!
  • leveslylevesly Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Does this mean that existing owners of the starter pack will buy it at 30% discount of the 10500 price during the sale period?
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    levesly wrote: »
    Does this mean that existing owners of the starter pack will buy it at 30% discount of the 10500 price during the sale period?

I also wonder this.

Also, too bad the combat pet isn't account unlock as well. At the very least, make it *bound to account* instead of *bound to character* so I can trade it between characters.
    I'm reconsidering getting this pack, but I'm still waiting to see if the pot gets sweeter.

There is at least one ship I want, and that's the Miracle Worker one. It's the only MW C-Store ship that looks good.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    In addition to the previously announced 30% off sale, the Discovery Operations Pack has gotten even better! For purchasers of the Discovery Starter Pack, you'll be able to buy the Operations Pack for 10500 ZEN. In addition, the two bridge officers are now account wide unlocks!

It's still not worth it, all the items except the keys need to be account bound and the overall price is still too high IMO.

I agree, the 8000-9000 should have been full price, with 6500-7500 (this is just quick math in my head) being the price for owners of the pack, based on the general cost/value of every other previously released pack.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User

So now the BOff's are account unlocks. A step in the right direction.

And there is a discounted price for those of us who already bought the Discovery Starter Pack. Another step in the right direction.

Now all we need is for the Tardigrade Combat Pet to be an account unlock and for the overall price of the pack to be dropped to around 8k Zen (6500 Zen for Discovery Starter Pack owners). Then I may buy it.

Until then, nope.

Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Making the bridge officers account unlocks brings it more in line with prior packs. The discount for already having the starter pack I figured would have been a given. So then comes the still glairing problem, for those that don't have the starter pack it is still a base price of 12k zen 1k more zen gets you the Vanguard bundle that is superior in every single way. All the new ships in it already end game quality no extra grinding or money spent needed for them. More than twice as many ships, the value diffrence is staggering. Cryptic I honestly hope you guys are saving some special things for a last minute reveal cause, some may have been calmed but there are still many out there putting their wallets away and pulling back their trust. Sto has generally always been one of the most fair and steady games to their playerbase. I may end up purchasing this pack a year down the road after grinding that mass amount of Dil I would need to convert to zen. To put down what little cash I can save for game spending would feel like a waist in this instance. And as a longtime supportive player that is painful to say.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • star777#1317 star777 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    > @"ambassadorkael#6946" said:
    > In addition to the previously announced 30% off sale, the Discovery Operations Pack has gotten even better! For purchasers of the Discovery Starter Pack, you'll be able to buy the Operations Pack for 10500 ZEN. In addition, the two bridge officers are now account wide unlocks!

This is good news, not only do players get the chance to get a discount if one purchased the starter pack, but they did make all the boffs account wide unlock.

In regards to the combat pet, I do not mind it being a once unlock - As they probably will sell it in the C-Store like they did the combat horta etc...

I know most folks may still be a bit upset, but at least they have listen. So take this as a positive.

HINT - wait for Black Friday next Thanksgiving, it will be even cheaper, trust me.
  • klaxxon82klaxxon82 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    BoFFs are account wide, tardigrade is once per account.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    HINT - wait for Black Friday next Thanksgiving, it will be even cheaper, trust me.

Indeed, the "introductory price" was never a draw for me, I know if I wait I'll get it at that price or even lower later.
    It's the overall value I'm looking at, and someone just compared to the VIL pack, it's significantly overvalued by Cryptic.

Simplified comparison:
    Gamma Pack:
    7 End-game T6 ships (Fleet level)
    3 T5U ships.

3 Account-wide BOFFs

Total cost: 13k zen

Discovery Pack:
    4 Not-quite-so-end-game T6 ships (some are leveling, some appear not to be)
    1 T4 ship (leveling)

1 Account-wide BOFF per faction (two total, but effectively 1, unlike Gamma had all three for every faction)

Total cost: 12k zen

Irrelevant stuff left out, these are the biggies.
    (For reference, Gamma pack as a lot more of the 'irrelevant' stuff than Disco pack.)
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • sukhothaisukhothai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    congrats everyone, they listened to us, ships, boffs and outfits are account wide unlocks!

The Combat Tardigrade is still once per account. So only one of my characters will be able to obtain it.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Since the free ships are perfectly good enough to use while leveling up, there is 2 reasons to buy low tier ships. You either get it for the visual unlocks or the console it comes with...something scaling ships don't add. So yeah no, it's not really adding value.

You are getting every tier of low level, Zen ship for the cost of one T-6. You no longer have to deal with playing with "good enough" as you level up.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Now with everyone patting each other on their collective backs & reconsidering buying this pack because of the starter pack discount & the BOFFs being account wide ... which should've been that way in the first place, Cryptic won't even have to dare add anything more to the pack. It is a step in the right direction because as many have stated it should've been that way in the first place. Starve a person then offer them food & become a hero to that same person.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Nice, but still too expensive for only 4 ships.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    Now with everyone patting each other on their collective backs & reconsidering buying this pack because of the starter pack discount & the BOFFs being account wide ... which should've been that way in the first place, Cryptic won't even have to dare add anything more to the pack. It is a step in the right direction because as many have stated it should've been that way in the first place. Starve a person then offer them food & become a hero to that same person.

This is what I'm afraid of as well. Players becoming too easily placated by the merest of scraps the rulers of the land deign to throw at us. The only concessions they've given so far are things that should have been there from the start, the BOff's open account wide and the discount for Discovery Starter Pack owners. They have given us NOTHING new, just presented it in a different light and there are now folks bowing in gratitude for the gristle off the bone they got.

The real issue is value, and this pack doesn't have enough. The price needs to be lowered or more high value items added, and in this case that would be T6 ships. At this current price, 2 more ships for Fed & KDF and the pack might hold enough value to carry that 12k Zen price tag.

Might.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    levesly wrote: »

Wondering the same thing.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    FYI
    A better deal and they are listening to feedback from forums.

[img][/img]2tiirl.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator​​
  • nevi1nevi1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    FYI

It's only a better deal if the 10500 is the new full price and not the new 30% discount price. At least they made the bridge officers account bound as it should be. Just hoping that that 10500 is now the new full price. Be a step backwards if its the discounted price. I would of considered this at the 8400 discounted price but not at 10500. 7350 is much more attractive price (30% of 10500 zen)
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    nevi1 wrote: »
    FYI

It's only a better deal if the 10500 is the new full price and not the new 30% discount price. At least they made the bridge officers account bound as it should be. Just hoping that that 10500 is now the new full price. Be a step backwards if its the discounted price. I would of considered this at the 8400 discounted price but not at 10500. 7350 is much more attractive price (30% of 10500 zen)

10500 is the discounted price for those who already bought the Discovery Starter Pack. There will be a 30% discount at first.

Here's the breakdown:

Normal Price: 12,000 Zen
    Normal Price if you already purchased the Discovery Starter Pack: 10,500 Zen.
    30% off Price: 8400 Zen
    30% off Price if you already purchased the Discovery Starter Pack: 7350 Zen.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, that's all i wanted… so pack it is! :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    Considering some people were worried about 'Power Creep' when it came to Personal Achievements, maybe they were worried people would complain about that when it came to the BOffs, let alone the Combat Pet in this set?

For the Starter Pack, some people said they'd rather have a combat pet rather than a vanity pack. So the switch is from Non-combat pet for each character to a combat one for just one character.

So with the special ability BOff (to distiguish them from just being a relatively asthetic difference, such as the difference of the Android BOff (was it from the Lifetime or legacy of the Gold subscription, I don't recall) and the Android BOff from JJverse/Kelvin Timeline) and combat pet as well, it was considered too unbalancing for every character of an account having it?

If this is the case, maybe it would have been better to keep the Tardigrade a non-combat one (in line with the Starter Pack), and have the combat pet as a separate purchase?

That brings up another thought on the same vein: Was having non-combat Tardigrade for every character for the Starter Set and the once per account combat Tardigrade from the Ops Pack considered to be an incentive to purchase both the Starter and the Operations Packs? Rather than just having the Ops Pack being a complete upgrade from the Starter Pack?

Given the chance between a once per account Combat Tardigrade and a once per character Non-Combat Tardigrade, I'd rather to go for the once per character Tardigrade. Especially if it would mean the BOffs were available for each character on the account.

Well if, & it is an if, those BOFFs & combat pet are also sold separately in the C-Store besides this pack when it is released your reasons regarding those being once per account like, fair to say, most think it should be account wide will be a hot pile of stink.

Cryptic has already changed the Personal Endeavors not so much in difficulty but more grinding. Cryptic isn't following their own initial description of these Personal Endeavors anyways with requiring TFOs & such so now the PEs are just an extension of the original endeavor which is fine I'm already treating the PEs just like the original Endeavor.

And with concern of power creeps that is always genuine & I'm can be tough to balance but the majority of STO is PvE with nto so much PvP where it would have a more dramatic effect. For PvE there's little negative impact unless severe I'm betting.

I'm just saying, they are paying attention to the forums (even if it doesn't seem to happen). Whether the results are what we had expected....
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    nevi1 wrote: »
    FYI

10500 is the discounted price for those who already bought the Discovery Starter Pack. There will be a 30% discount at first.

Here's the breakdown:

Normal Price: 12,000 Zen
    Normal Price if you already purchased the Discovery Starter Pack: 10,500 Zen.
    30% off Price: 8400 Zen
    30% off Price if you already purchased the Discovery Starter Pack: 7350 Zen.

I think themadprofessor is correct on the sale calculations for discounts. At least the way I'm viewing it it makes sense.

I think Cryptic should heavily consider, if not already planned, to perform one of their Ten Forward Weekly streams to up-sell this pack while I also coming prepared & not shying away from answering some tough questions of why decisions were made about this pack in a certain way. Not just ignore or dodge the tough questions & answer the softballs. The player base recognizes this pack was set-up a certain way so answering questions about why shouldn't be too difficult.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,900 Arc User
    ...the two bridge officers are now account wide unlocks!
    That Combat Tardigrade should be a once-per-character unlock as well, not a once-per-account.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Starter Pack discount was something that should have been there regardless of player feedback. Same for the officers in the pack.

So the contents of the pack have been brought a step closer to standard. Unfortunately the value of the pack is still nowhere near the asking price. And no, having a sale bring it down to a tolerable level is not acceptable, as it just ends up supporting this practice for the future. No deal just yet, pal.
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User

Thank you!
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
This discussion has been closed.