test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Discovery Operations Pack!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,672 Community Manager
The Discovery Operations Pack, with four new ships, new bridge officers, a combat tardigrade and more, is coming very soon to Star Trek Online on PC!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11084823

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,098 Arc User
    Mirror Skins for the fed ships? :D
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ohlordiusohlordius Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Take my money, Cryptic. My body is ready. Been waiting for this since DIS has been on tv. Sadly the Gagarin is a MW ship but w/e, I love the new estitics of the DIS ships and I love the pew pew of the x-linked weapons.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    Unless the ships stats will be really great, then this pack is nothing special - especially, as the BOFFs and combat pet according to blog are 'Once per Account', not a 'Once per Character'
    ... I'm saving my Zen for - possible, I hope - next Mega Bundle
  • nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    Why the change from account wide unlocks to once per account. That is a large change from most if not all of the prior packs like this. Least with the tardigrade and the bridge officers.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • brog1brog1 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    only 4 ships? and once per account unlocks for items that should be account wide, not on par with other packs. bit of a letdown
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I'm really not a fan of all the once per account unlocks. And I already own the Discovery starter pack. It will probably only be the Fed ships for me unless they offer a discount to those who already own the starter pack..
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    brog1 wrote: »
    only 4 ships? and once per account unlocks for items that should be account wide, not on par with other packs. bit of a letdown
    Yeah, I gotta agree. This bundle is a major disappointment compared with previous anniversaries. Maybe I'd buy it if the BOffs and tardigrade were account unlocks. As it is, I think I'll just get the Gagarin and possibly the Shran. Nothing else holds any appeal.
  • thestormsongthestormsong Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Once per account boffs and combat pet is a dealbreaker. What happened to "the account is the player"? I have too many characters to buy stuff for just one of them.

Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    Assuming the Walker-class Prototype Light Exploration Cruiser skin will also unlock for the lobi Walker-class Light Exploration Cruiser as well? :smiley:
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    lnblade wrote: »
    brog1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I gotta agree. This bundle is a major disappointment compared with previous anniversaries. Maybe I'd buy it if the BOffs and tardigrade were account unlocks. As it is, I think I'll just get the Gagarin and possibly the Shran. Nothing else holds any appeal.

Same. The fact the BOFFs and combat pet are not account unlock is a deal killer for me. This is contrary to every other "Operations" pack. I'm iffy on Discovery content anyway, so I don't feel I'm "missing" anything. There are 4 ships, at 3000z per ship, that's only 12kz for the lot. That's literally the entire cost. So it's not even that much of a deal. Master keys, sure, if you play that game. The rest is once-per account and not worth anything IMO.
    I noticed this trend starting with the Gamma pack (possibly temporal too, it's been a while), where the EVA suit was once-per account.

Something has happened at Cryptic/PWE, and someone there is ruining it.
    Show ships and items used to be C-Store.
    Mirror TOS and Mirror Enterprise costumes for example, are in the C-Store. Mirror Discovery is a lockbox.
    I do not, and will not ever play the lockbox game. I feel more and more items are being pulled away from me.
    I do however, buy C-Store items. Looks like that's going to change too.

(edit monster )
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    All I really see in the pack that I want is that away team vest, is there a simple way to get just that?
  • afanicktonafanickton Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    What is this? On the launcher it says available now, but it's nowhere in-game. Went to the forum post to find it in a small font on the right side of the screen saying "is coming very soon to Star Trek Online on PC!" WOW?

Aaaaaaand worse off you didn't even add the away team security vest as a cosmetic item? Just part of a bridge officer uniform? I hope this isn't true I've been waiting for the vest since the uniform first went live onto the server! At least the pack is a step in the right direction for DSC content...

but ONCE PER ACCOUNT TRIBBLE? Really? $120 for items that are only given out once... that's really mean and greedy...
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Hmmm. The Walker-class costume is the Georgiou-class prototype? I was interested until i read it was exclusive to the bundle. So I will pass this time.

The art is high quality though. I look forward to seeing fellow players with all of it.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited February 2019
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    I noticed this trend starting with the Gamma pack (possibly temporal too, it's been a while), where the EVA suit was once-per account.

Actually Gamma EVA suit is once per toon - you just need to claim the whole Gamma pack on other toons, and it will drop the suit to your inventory.
    Edit:
    The same for the EVA suit from TOS bundle, but that one is… ugly - at least for me
  • trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Anything that has to do with TRIBBLE is a deal breaker for me. Please take the game back in the real Star Trek universe.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • crash490rcrash490r Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    There is clear cruiser favoritism at play here. It gets both positive and negative angles, but the Shran only gets negative angles.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    wow this is garbage. for 12k zen you traditionally get 9+ ships? Plus a bunch of account goodies. This is for 4 ships, 2 account unlocks, and a bunch of single character unlocks? Maybe for 5000 zen? But this is more of a Starter Pack than anything else. Comparing to the Temporal Agent Starter pack for example. The full Temporal bundle was 10 or 11 ships plus a bunch of account unlocks, Delta was similar, even Dominion added 8 or 9 ships and new races and account unlocks. What the heck is up with this pricepoint?
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »

Actually Gamma EVA suit is once per toon - you just need to claim the whole Gamma pack on other toons, and it will drop the suit to your inventory.
    Edit:
    The same for the EVA suit from TOS bundle, but that one is… ugly - at least for me

You're right, once per character. Which is still lame since I can't outfit my BOFFs with all the same suit.
    So I just use the LTS one. The rest don't exist as far as I'm concerned. I'm not paying 2200z per character to outfit my boffs with a suit they'll wear once a year.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I hope people already owning the Prototype Light Cruiser won't have problems claiming the full pack.

I figure the Shran and Gagarin will also get an alternate costume for their Disco counterpart, and the Klingon ones will have just one costume?

The Light Cruiser variant has a certain "Excelsior" style. Interesting.
    75824aa6fb6836f8f8e8c8bfc4c39f4c1549417668.png
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    BOFF "Once per Account" ???
    We are talking BOFFs here... sure you don't mean "Once Per Character" ?
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    So ... If you already own the Discovery Starter Pack ... That's even less bang for the zen you're getting.

I want that Walker-class skin, but don't think it's worth that much when all I want other than the skin is the Sheppard-class.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
    edited February 2019
    You're right, once per character. Which is still lame since I can't outfit my BOFFs with all the same suit.
    So I just use the LTS one. The rest don't exist as far as I'm concerned. I'm not paying 2200z per character to outfit my boffs with a suit they'll wear once a year.
    Thats why I'm always saving 5 EVA suits from leveling up Nukara Reputation - they look at least not-silly, and normally, I do the rep on all toons anyway...

• millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    This "value" is awful.

Compared to previous packs, this really isn't worth getting anywhere near full price. Counting up the standard value of the four T6 ships comes up with the full 12,000 zen price of this bundle.

Even the BOffs and combat pet are "once per account", instead of the usual "account-wide" we're used to for these bundles for most items included, so that's nowhere near enough to count as part of a "savings" for buying this bundle.

And making the Light Exploration Cruiser skin exclusive to the bundle? Perhaps it would have been better to have a variant of the T6 Light Exploration Cruiser that varies from the Lobi store version to add in the bundle to help make it appear a more attractive purchase.

What's going on behind the scenes here? Why is there this push to get more things in the c-store turned more "once per account" instead of the previously-proposed dev ideal of "the account is the player" in terms of account-wide unlocks?

Unless this is on a deep, steep sale when it comes out, I think I'll either hold off or ponder getting the one ship I care about.

Props to the artists, because their work is absolutely amazing as usual, but everything else is only dragging things down.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Operations pack with just a few ships, a few boffs and pet that makes no sense to have or to follow you around. it better not cost $99 dollars or whatever it usually does as this is slim pickings at best.

-The Walker skin in the late 23rd century style, those sexy curves! xD
    -I hope the walker has been improved on the ship leveling front to go from T4.5 to T5u or T6.
    -The Klingon boff's parietal and temporal sections on the skull are far too large, reduce that part of the head and taper the back of the head a little and sharpen the ridges up.
    -A tartigrade pet? why would it follow you around? it's smarter than you are and the mycelium is more important to it than any warzones will ever visit on your ship or on the ground. (this all assumes the mycelial network isn't all destroyed in a few years from now on discovery. It makes no sense)
    -Klingons have copied the designs from the goa'uld and got death gliders with disruptors! xD
    -The cybernetic boff is a rather lame attempt at something different, just put a box on the persons head and call it alien. surely Cryptic can do better than this? if CBS has them cornered on it they shouldn't of bothered because of the android boff. Besides one extra boff won't make much difference anyway.

I need to know details on the fed cruisers since this ship progression thing came in recently, i need to know what is what really before i consider anything on the matter.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • willomallywillomally Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    If you had the bridge officers as account unlocks like you did for the delta and gamma packs you would have a deal but one per account is regressing in your price/ value matrix of the past.
    [SIGPIC]

Look at the pretty mushroom grow
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    if I can buy em outside the pack the combat tardigrade and the boffs, if you can make em look normal, could be worth some money, no interest in the ships. may get the kdf ones if they have good traits that I think my ships must have otherwise no.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
This discussion has been closed.