test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enough already with the time travel!

nixbooxnixboox Member Posts: 1,041 Arc User
I'm bored with Cryptic using the dual crutch of Q and temporal displacement to support their wandering narrative. Is life after Voyager really so bereft of content opportunities that we have to keep going back in time? In the future - why don't you confine your time traveling stories to HOLODECK simulations. AoY and AoD could both have been novel HOLODECK programs - we haven't had a malfunctioning holodeck storyline!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Cool story bro.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    "Crutch of Q"?

Um... we haven't had an actual story mission involving Q since they removed one of the old missions where Q sent you back to ensure Sisko survived Wolf 359. As of right now Q is pretty much just in charge of the Winter and Anniversary Events, which pretty much are not tied to the story whatsoever.

Time Travel is a bit of a hook in STO because of the time period the game takes place in, as we see when we run into the Pastak. Her captain even says that we're entering a dangerous period because of that tech. However most of the Time Travel stuff is centered around the Temporal Cold War, which does heat up in one single arc in the game. TOS Captains experience a bit of this in the 23rd Century because that particular time period was a front in the war. Discovery Captains... their Time Travel is purely accidental.

So honestly I don't see how Q is a "crutch", and how Time Travel is an issue as it fits into the story.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    We have pretty much burnt though every major species that could pose a credible threat outside of Cryptic bringing back the T'Kon Empire, or having the Kelvan Empire from the Andromeda Galaxy invading.

Thus beginning the Kelvan Timeline!

(For forum geezers who remember that thread :) )
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Technically, we did have a holodeck error featured in "Beyond The Nexus".
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Time Travel has literally been in every single Trek show and in a couple of the movies. It's a staple of the series.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i like the different eras, enterprise next pls. and of course, Daniels needs to be there to pick us up ^^
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    It's clear that CBS wants STO to be the end all and be all Online Star Trek Experience, and time travel is really the only way for Cryptic to achieve that and plausibly weaving together all the different time periods.

Although I'll be honest, that same reason kind of makes me wish STO didn't exist, because thanks to it we haven't seen any other proper Star Trek games for over a decade now.(Think Elite Force, Bridge Commander, Starfleet/Klingon Academy, Armada, Starfleet Command, etc.)
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i don't think thats the reason for not having new offline games. think there was a very bugy lens flare trek game and there are some mobil\multi platform games ...
    azrael605 wrote: »
    There have been multiple Trek games in recent years, other than STO & Timelines (browser game) most were very meh. Legacy was meh, the KT game that came out around the same time as STID was meh, etc.

And more recently Adversaries, which is a digital CCG, and Bridge Crew, which was optimized for VR, but apparently can be run without it.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a followup to the Elite Force and Armada games. At least there are still fan projects like the highly praised Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. That mod was soooo well done it was heralded as THE BEST Star Trek mod. Period. And apparently got Mod of the Year on ModDB.

Fans want games. I honestly wish it was just not going to be games bogged down by things like microtransactions and mobile compatibility. A good, honest to god, full on PC game. Unfortunately I think getting a distributor like we did for most of the older games (IE Activision back in the golden age of Trek games) is going to be an issue.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The soldier of fortune games (even the third one folk erased from their memories) made their way onto GOG so seeing other activision games like elite force might happen if the sales were ok enough to satisfy the beancounters over at cod central.

Thing about time travel is that in order to do it well you need to have the writers who are able to pull it off and avoid everyone seeing the twists coming a mile away without the benefit of being from the future.
  • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Time Travel has literally been in every single Trek show and in a couple of the movies. It's a staple of the series.

And it is a sure sign in every series that the writers have run out of ideas and was the inevitable death knell of each.
    The Husnock were wiped out.
    Legacy was pretty decent after throwing in some mods.
    I do agree that EF1 was better than EF2. Now if we could get EF1 with the graphics of EF2...

I never played BotF, but I have played the Armada and SFC games. I also have played both Starfleet and Klingon Academy games. Never did get through those...

Hell... I even played the old Judgement Rites. Point and Click adventure but was still pretty fun.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @sleel43 said:
    > artaniscreed wrote: »
    >
    > Time Travel has literally been in every single Trek show and in a couple of the movies. It's a staple of the series.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And it is a sure sign in every series that the writers have run out of ideas and was the inevitable death knell of each.

Not really. The Voyage Home is considered one of the better TOS movies. First Contacts is considered the best TNG movie.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    nixboox wrote: »
    Is life after Voyager really so bereft of content opportunities that we have to keep going back in time?!

We have pretty much burnt though every major species that could pose a credible threat outside of Cryptic bringing back the T'Kon Empire, or having the Kelvan Empire from the Andromeda Galaxy invading.

Either of those would be cool with me. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Are you afraid of getting into a Temporal Loop?

:)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > nixboox wrote: »
    >
    > Is life after Voyager really so bereft of content opportunities that we have to keep going back in time?!
    >
    >
    >
    > Lets see, since Star Trek Online began we have fought
    > -The Klingon Empire(Klingons, Gorn, Orions, Ferasans, Nausicaans, Letheans)
    > -The Devidians
    > -The Romulan Star Empire
    > -The Tal Shiar
    > -The True Way and the New Link
    > -The Dominion
    > -The Breen
    > -The Borg Collective
    > -The Tholians
    > -The Voth
    > -The Undine
    > -The Vaadwaur
    > -The Iconian Whole(Iconians, Heralds, Elachi, Solanae, Bluegill)
    > -The Temporal Liberation Front(Krenim, Vorgons, Terran Empire, Na'kuhl, and Sphere Builders)
    > -The Tzenkethi
    > -The Fek'Ihri
    > -The Hur'q
    > And almost all of that took place in 2409 and 2410.
    >
    > We have pretty much burnt though every major species that could pose a credible threat outside of Cryptic bringing back the T'Kon Empire, or having the Kelvan Empire from the Andromeda Galaxy invading.

Only issue I hace with that, is all of that happened in LESS than 2 years. 10 years? Bit more believable.

But Ces La Vie.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
This discussion has been closed.