What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enough already with the time travel!

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    They even tell you the AoD stuff is holodeck programs for 2409 captains.

TRIBBLE, does that mean my Captain has to get as fat as fat Riker at the end of Enterprise? :o
    (Honestly, that episode was an abomination and an insult to everything Trek.)
  • Options
    slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > nixboox wrote: »
    >
    > Is life after Voyager really so bereft of content opportunities that we have to keep going back in time?!
    >
    >
    >
    > Lets see, since Star Trek Online began we have fought
    > -The Klingon Empire(Klingons, Gorn, Orions, Ferasans, Nausicaans, Letheans)
    > -The Devidians
    > -The Romulan Star Empire
    > -The Tal Shiar
    > -The True Way and the New Link
    > -The Dominion
    > -The Breen
    > -The Borg Collective
    > -The Tholians
    > -The Voth
    > -The Undine
    > -The Vaadwaur
    > -The Iconian Whole(Iconians, Heralds, Elachi, Solanae, Bluegill)
    > -The Temporal Liberation Front(Krenim, Vorgons, Terran Empire, Na'kuhl, and Sphere Builders)
    > -The Tzenkethi
    > -The Fek'Ihri
    > -The Hur'q
    > And almost all of that took place in 2409 and 2410.
    >
    > We have pretty much burnt though every major species that could pose a credible threat outside of Cryptic bringing back the T'Kon Empire, or having the Kelvan Empire from the Andromeda Galaxy invading.

That’s a serious problem with this game. Like everything else in the entertainment industry, their using a money making equation and regurgitating the same content over and over again with various tweaks. All of it doesn’t flow together at all.

In the DS9 and VOY series, sure there was the random episode, but looking at it all together, the story through the seasons built up to an end that made the series feel complete.
  • Options
    bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    If you look at the whole warp "Theory" to sum it up... To Travel through space is to travel through time. Don't Get me wrong after Kirk brought back some Humpback whales in 1984... CBS was like Woah that was a good idea.. so the time travel thing nexus point starts and ends in 1984... want to have some STO time travel fun? give us a 1984 with Phasers set to Stun!!

In all just be happy we arn't playing SWTOR they haven't had much "New" content since 2017.
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Honestly, the Organians' sole interest seemed to be not "peace" so much as not being bothered. They didn't even pay attention to the ongoing conflict between Federation and Empire until it landed in their backyard, and started to inconvenience them. All the people who died on both sides during the actual shooting parts? Unimportant. They have to start generating new bodies to move into? Okay, now it's time to stop all combat throughout an entire region of space, before it becomes annoying to Organia again.

We do have some stories here that let us follow up on some dropped threads from the shows and movies. That Hobus supernova thing, for instance - the Romulan Mystery arc both poses the question of how the hell that could even happen (a supernova event is pretty horrible across a couple of lightyears, and a pretty light further away than that, so how did it destroy Romulus, over a hundred lightyears away?), and who was at fault (the Iconians, obviously, because they were responsible for everything bad in the quadrant besides the Hur'q).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    nixboox wrote: »
    We're TOLD the Husnock were destroyed but WE HAVE THEIR SHIP...so...get it?

Yes. We're told. BY THE GUY WHO DID IT AND HAS THE POWER TO DO SO!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNbQZ_jMR2E
    Wiping out a species doesn't always mean wiping out all traces of their existance. You can wipe out a species, but leave their tech behind. That would explain the Husnock ships. The one that attacked the Enterprise-D was only an illusion. A VERY CONVINCING illusion, but still an illusion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Some potential for storylines:

*The Romulan Star Empire's current disposition. We never really find out what the RSE and Tal Shiar are up to.
    *The Reman Diaspora. The Vault wasn't the end of the Reman story and there's a whole city in the shadows beneath New Romulus to explore.
    *The friction between the old and the new in the Klingon Empire. Klingon Civil War is a very real possibility with half the young warriors seduced by the Federation and trampling the old ways by becoming doctors and lawyers and such.
    *Helping the remaining Iconians restore their civilization. If they can't have children, they can grow some.
    *The Elachi are still out there. Maybe T'ket is with them still bent on revenge?
    *The Bluegill threat is over, but how can we be sure when we've never found their place of origin?
    *The galaxy is huge and we've been limited to a very small slice of it. What lies on the other side of the Klingon Empire? The RSE? Cardassia?
    *And what about the soft canon novels? From the Ford Klingon novels to the Riker novels, there are many worlds waiting to be rediscovered.

The trouble with these ideas is that STO has never been a sandbox. They do not innovate, they support the core material. Perhaps this is a requirement of their license, and if they run off creating new stories CBS might cry. But it's not a lack of potential storylines holding Cryptic back. There are years worth of story waiting to be told if Cryptic ever decides to boldly go where no Trek has gone before.
  • Options
    brian334 wrote: »
    *The Romulan Star Empire's current disposition. We never really find out what the RSE and Tal Shiar are up to.
    Pretty much toast. The Star Empire is a remnant. The Tal Shiar were loyal to the Iconians, and were dang near wiped out by Fed/Klingon forces and actions by the Romulan Republic. Not a big enough threat in the post Iconian War era.
    *The Reman Diaspora. The Vault wasn't the end of the Reman story and there's a whole city in the shadows beneath New Romulus to explore.
    The Remans joined the Romulan Republic.
    *The friction between the old and the new in the Klingon Empire. Klingon Civil War is a very real possibility with half the young warriors seduced by the Federation and trampling the old ways by becoming doctors and lawyers and such.
    Do all Klingons have to be warriors? Besides... it looks like we might be touching on a potential civil war coming up with J'Ula being around.
    *Helping the remaining Iconians restore their civilization. If they can't have children, they can grow some.
    L'Miren specifically stated that the Iconians want to be left alone. Non Negotiable. Alliance forces are respecting that.
    *The Elachi are still out there. Maybe T'ket is with them still bent on revenge?
    Last we saw T'Ket... her fleet was not only in combat with the Fek'lhri, but Quark summoned a Hur'q fleet to it. If T'Ket is still alive, she's been battered down to the point she's no threat for QUITE some time.
    *The Bluegill threat is over, but how can we be sure when we've never found their place of origin?
    But we learned that the Bluegills were an Iconian bioweapon. With the Iconians no longer on the warpath... Bluegills aren't going to spread and thus are pretty isolated and not a threat. Also pretty sure the Vaadwaur are hunting them down too.
    *The galaxy is huge and we've been limited to a very small slice of it. What lies on the other side of the Klingon Empire? The RSE? Cardassia?
    Touched on that with the Lukari actually. Led to the Tzenkethi arc.
    *And what about the soft canon novels? From the Ford Klingon novels to the Riker novels, there are many worlds waiting to be rediscovered.
    Legal issues. Took a LOT of work to get the Vesta in game. Not only that, the books portray the Tzenkethi completely different from what we have in game. They have taken a few elements from the books, such as Ezri Dax having command of the Aventine, but we haven't actually SEEN the Aventine.
    The trouble with these ideas is that STO has never been a sandbox. They do not innovate, they support the core material. Perhaps this is a requirement of their license, and if they run off creating new stories CBS might cry. But it's not a lack of potential storylines holding Cryptic back. There are years worth of story waiting to be told if Cryptic ever decides to boldly go where no Trek has gone before.

Actually... pretty sure they DID innovate when they did the Tzenkethi. After all... they were never seen on screen. Only mentioned. In the books the Tzenkethi are apparently some "very beautiful" humanoid species or some such thing. Yet the guy who came up with the name invisioned them more to be large and reptilian. Which did STO go with? The reptilian idea. The Deferi were rather dull, but they made up for it with the more interesting Lukari. And then the backstories behind the Hur'q and Fek'lhri? That was pretty interesting.

Yes they have avenues to explore. We just need to wait and see what's going to happen.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    They had to use a limited time travel plot to bring Discovery players up to TNG era endgame.
    Discovery is "new Trek", but it's another damned prequel, (and if you ask me it's PREQUELS that are heavily overused now a days).

As the saying goes, what's new is relevant - anyway, it helps brings new players to the yard -
    The future is the past, the past is the future ...
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    One note Som, what you say about use of novel characters is generally true, however for AoD Cryptic has been allowed to use at least one character introduced in Discovery tie-in material, J'Ula, sister of T'Kuvma. She was introduced in the IDW Discovery comics, and I believe she is slated to appear on the show in season 2.
    Relevant interview at comicbook.com.

They have been allowed to use certain references to novels - "moving people about like pieces on a klin zha board" in the Doomsday Machine arc, for instance, or all the Romulan place names straight out of Duane's Rihannsu novels - but overall, the characters and plots from the novels are out, in part because some of the best have now been rendered completely non-canon by the shows (I preferred John Ford's Klingons to the ones we saw in TNG, for instance, but my preferences aren't the controlling factor here).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    The Continuing Adventures of Jean-Lu Picard will be the next big development. Ironically, our characters may have to travel forward in time for this one!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    The Continuing Adventures of Jean-Lu Picard will be the next big development. Ironically, our characters may have to travel forward in time for this one!

It's set 25 years after Nemesis, per press releases. 2379 + 25 = 2404. That's right before the Federation-Klingon War started. So no, we'd be traveling backwards.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    Yet another attempt at humor failed. Sigh.

I need to get a funny bone, I suppose.

But I am left wondering what a 20 year older Picard will be up to? Ambassador Picard is one possibility, Admiral Picard is another, but I can't see him tooling around in an obsolete Galaxy sending out away teams and defending poor misunderstood space spores who just want to hook up.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User

But I am left wondering what a 20 year older Picard will be up to? Ambassador Picard is one possibility, Admiral Picard is another, but I can't see him tooling around in an obsolete Galaxy sending out away teams and defending poor misunderstood space spores who just want to hook up.

Considering it is not even the SAME Picard, it is the NuPrime version, it throws the possibilities door even further open.
  • Options

Considering it is not even the SAME Picard, it is the NuPrime version, it throws the possibilities door even further open.

I haven't read that. Admittedly, I haven't searched out every article on the new show, as it's still a bit in the real world future and my time machine works less often than Stewie Griffon's.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    90% of the time Time Travel is a crutch for lazy writing.
  • Options
    Futurama did it best with the episode that showed how Fry became his own grandfather.

Their finale was also an exceptional case of a well-written time travel plot. It's a shame that a tongue-in-cheek show dedicated to lampooning everything sci-fi has better sci-fi writers than most of the sci-fi shows I've seen which were produced in the same era.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    [Mod Hat] All right, @nixboox? Take a chill pill. [/Mod Hat]
    rattler2 wrote: »
    nixboox wrote: »
    We're TOLD the Husnock were destroyed but WE HAVE THEIR SHIP...so...get it?

Yes. We're told. BY THE GUY WHO DID IT AND HAS THE POWER TO DO SO!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNbQZ_jMR2E
    Wiping out a species doesn't always mean wiping out all traces of their existance. You can wipe out a species, but leave their tech behind. That would explain the Husnock ships. The one that attacked the Enterprise-D was only an illusion. A VERY CONVINCING illusion, but still an illusion.

Yeah, so we're told by a guy who is also clearly not firing on all cylinders. All you have to do to use the Husnock is make Uxbridge an Unreliable Expositor who maybe only thought he had completely wiped out the Husnock. We never actually saw any Husnock planets or settlements, after all.

You can do something similar to, say, bring back the Vidiians from VGR: the Think Tank claimed they'd cured the Phage, but did they really? Or were they maybe lying to inflate their reputations? Note that in the episode where they appeared, they engaged in a mass deception to get Voyager on their side (taking a bounty out on them with the Hazari so they could then step in to "protect them")...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    You can do something similar to, say, bring back the Vidiians from VGR: the Think Tank claimed they'd cured the Phage, but did they really? Or were they maybe lying to inflate their reputations? Note that in the episode where they appeared, they engaged in a mass deception to get Voyager on their side (taking a bounty out on them with the Hazari so they could then step in to "protect them")...

Perhaps... but Uxbridge doesn't come across as someone with an ego. He just wanted to be left alone. And someone who can teleport himself around and make those illusions... I wouldn't want to mess with him whatsoever. In his case... I'd believe him.
This discussion has been closed.