test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Age of Discovery Launches October 9th

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    You're neglecting another concern, Som. A lot of people were asking for a storyline that was less about fighting a Monster of the Week and more about exploration. So Cryptic actually listened, took us into unexplored space, and because looking at empty rocks in space is boring, they invented a new species to interact with instead of hanging around where we've already been for (in-universe) three hundred years.

Space is freaking huge and the galaxy map depicted in-game is way off in scale compared to the reference book they based it on: the Federation/Romulan/Cardassian/Klingon portion of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants is only 8,000 cubic light-years in Mandel's Star Charts. Are there more stories to be told inside explored space with the familiar nations, cultures and species? Absolutely. Does that mean Cryptic shouldn't be making up their own when they have an opportunity? Well, I very much think they should be.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The issue with using the Romulans and Vulcans instead of the Lukari and Kentari is location. It would have made more sense to have a Romulan/Vulcan colony in the Beta Quadrant rather than in Alpha, which is where the tie in with the Protomatter and the Tzenkethi was taking place.

Red Matter has nothing to do with Protomatter as far as I know, and thus would not work. No one within the Federation has messed with protomatter since Project Genesis back in the 23rd Century. I doubt the Vulcans would touch the stuff, considering their attitude towards Starfleet's Warp 5 Engine prototype was back in the 22nd Century. Also the Vulcans kinda have no reason to mess with Protomatter anyways. And I think the Jellyfish had their entire supply of Red Matter.

At least the Lukari are more interesting than the Deferi. The Deferi are kinda... boring people. The Lukari were more interesting, and provided a First Contact opportunity.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    Great. And the launch is the day after the U.S. Holiday 'Indigenous Peoples Day'. What a good week. ;)

That's cool. It's also the day after the celebration of the original Thanksgiving, when a survivour of an early recorded attempt to cross the Northwest Passage gave thanks for surviving the crashing of his ship up in what's now called Newfoundland. :smiley:
    I've been trying to find out when Star Trek: Discovery's 2nd season going to start, on the Star Trek official site and on the Space channel (Canada's version of SyFy). But all I get see is Dr. Who on Oct. 7, 2018. Considering that it's Jodie Whittaker's first go (more than just falling out of the sky/trailers) as the Doctor, while it's Discovery's 2nd season, I can see why they want to advertise the BBC Wales show's fresh start.

So, is the ST:D's next season start Oct. 7th as well? If STO was in lockstep with ST:D, would it not be logical to release AoD the Tuesday after?
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    I've been trying to find out when Star Trek: Discovery's 2nd season going to start, on the Star Trek official site and on the Space channel (Canada's version of SyFy). But all I get see is Dr. Who on Oct. 7, 2018. Considering that it's Jodie Whittaker's first go (more than just falling out of the sky/trailers) as the Doctor, while it's Discovery's 2nd season, I can see why they want to advertise the BBC Wales show's fresh start.

So, is the ST:D's next season start Oct. 7th as well? If STO was in lockstep with ST:D, would it not be logical to release AoD the Tuesday after?

DSC is one of many shows that has its next season pushed back to early (?) 2019, and like most of those has no official date set yet. An announcement should be made in the next month or so. Leaving it till Dec will make CBS look bad for dragging their feet.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I believe they in fact said when the second season was announced (circa Christmas IIRC) that the second season wouldn't happen until 2019.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • papashlopapashlo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hated Discovery. Now that they are including that TRIBBLE into the game i'm either going to start back on the Klingons or just quit playing.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    OK, honest question here, When are the Discovery ships being released? I just want the new content. I don't like discovery but, if the ships are interesting and 'good enough' you'll get my money!
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    OK, honest question here, When are the Discovery ships being released? I just want the new content. I don't like discovery but, if the ships are interesting and 'good enough' you'll get my money!

We still don't know if there are going to be other Discovery era ships available at the start besides the Malachowski class, which the free starter ship.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    We still don't know if there are going to be other Discovery era ships available at the start besides the Malachowski class, which the free starter ship.
    Thomas said in a live stream that they're working in several of the ships from the Battle of the Binary Stars. But yeah, we don't know when or how they'll be available, but logically it doesn't make sense for them to all be lockbox type things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    I'd be surprised if we don't get at least a couple of T6s for the people who create AoD characters to buy in 2 weeks when they've hit L50+ :)
    sarvour0 wrote: »

DSC is one of many shows that has its next season pushed back to early (?) 2019, and like most of those has no official date set yet. An announcement should be made in the next month or so. Leaving it till Dec will make CBS look bad for dragging their feet.
    starswordc wrote: »
    I believe they in fact said when the second season was announced (circa Christmas IIRC) that the second season wouldn't happen until 2019.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I believe that it has already been announced that season 2 will start in January.

Ok, thank you guys. With the major shake-up with the higher ups in CBS and ST:D, I can see why there may be some delays with the premiere of the second season.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The delays with Discovery was announced before the leadership shakeup.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User

I've seen the Malachowski class, it's a solid little ship and a good looker too. Functionally identical to the Miranda, not that we were expecting anything else. If they use the Malachowski Class as a baseline for Discovery ships, They should look pretty good!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    latest?cb=20180616163412

People complained about the Kelvin Timeline, and Enterprise. Pretty sure they're still in STO.
    But if you wanna enjoy getting ganked in EVE... have fun. STO will still be here for ya.
    I've seen the Malachowski class, it's a solid little ship and a good looker too. Functionally identical to the Miranda, not that we were expecting anything else. If they use the Malachowski Class as a baseline for Discovery ships, They should look pretty good!

It does look like a good ship. Looking forward to seeing her myself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • admiralvondrunkadmiralvondrunk Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Boycott. I'm playing WoW instead for the first time in five years. Down with Klingorcs.