test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Age of Discovery Launches October 9th

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    ( Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    SulMatuul.png
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    Not buying any Discovery ships but it would be nice if Cryptic re-ran all of those missions where we can get the reward bridge officers (Reman, Breen, etc). None of my newer alts have them so that would give us disinterested non-Discovery folks something to do. I am happy for my fellow captains who enjoy the series though and I hope the content is fun.

Slainte

Indeed. Either that or make them reclaimable on new characters.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I'm open to whatever content is part of AoD, but I'm a tad bummed that Andorian and Tellarite character creation options aren't going to be possible initially. Hoping that they follow through and add those options fairly soon after launch?
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Just got confirmation that we are giving out an extra character slot. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFloZbT99oE
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • awesomeweaselawesomeweasel Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Great. And the launch is the day after the U.S. Holiday 'Indigenous Peoples Day'. What a good week. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Yay we get two new missions to do (but loads of ships to buy).
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    43CdGW8.png

Boy, have y'all kept me busy this morning already! Regardless of what's in the show or included in the game, discussion of politics is against forum rules due to its ability to incite flaming, trolling, and uncivil discourse. So, let's please keep it off the forum. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • mecaldarmecaldar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    They doing another ship pack I have yet to see it. Got a link?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    mecaldar wrote: »

No announcements yet, the only ship unveiled so far is the T1 starter for DSC characters (Malachowski class). More news soon.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I don't think they balk at it, just that they know people play Star Trek Online for STAR TREK material, not whatever made up races the devs can think of. One of the biggest complaints I've seen about the Trek novels is that authors keep introducing new races that ultimately serve little to no point, and whose roles could have been filled with already existing Trek races which would have made the universe deeper instead of wider.
    The devs tested the waters with the Deferi, and concluded that for the most part players liked revisiting old stuff more than seeing brand new things. We still got the Lukari eventually, but the Lukari aren't exactly a galactic power.
    questerius wrote: »
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    Not buying any Discovery ships but it would be nice if Cryptic re-ran all of those missions where we can get the reward bridge officers (Reman, Breen, etc). None of my newer alts have them so that would give us disinterested non-Discovery folks something to do. I am happy for my fellow captains who enjoy the series though and I hope the content is fun.

Slainte
    Indeed. Either that or make them reclaimable on new characters.
    that sounds nice, but it's kinda the main reason for having FE replay events.
    I'm open to whatever content is part of AoD, but I'm a tad bummed that Andorian and Tellarite character creation options aren't going to be possible initially. Hoping that they follow through and add those options fairly soon after launch?
    AFAIK you can make both of those as aliens, and alien IS an option.
    mecaldar wrote: »
    No announcements yet, the only ship unveiled so far is the T1 starter for DSC characters (Malachowski class). More news soon.
    Yeah all we got from the livestreams is that they're making a lot of ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I know its unlikely, but could we get a yah or nah on if there is going to be any form of recruitment event, its double xp etc and yet I'm holding out on my next Cardassian in case a week down the line theres an event that allows him to get to meet the future him or be a little different from my other cardassians. :)
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    I concur that more "depth" and less "width" would be preferable. I asked a couple of semi-retired STO players (who moved on to other "space" related games) why they no longer play STO, and the answer, was ... There is too much "new" content, and not enough "compelling" content, i.e not enough depth to keep them playing.

I'll admit that after creating a JemH toon, I find little incentive to actually play missions with him, except perhaps a few missions that reward gear I want. I'm happily leveling my TOS toon all the way, because the "story" is more compelling, and of course she"needs" to be lvl 65, so I do hope that Cryptic do NOT make Discovery Characters lvl 60 automatically ... That was a HUGE mistake AFAIC.

But, as has been noted, there is a VAST library of races and stories that Cryptic could expand upon, already waiting in the Trek lore, and I do find that seeing these races/stories integrated into the game the most "fun", the LoR and DQ stories spring to mind.

I think I'm optimistically looking forward to the new expansion, but if there is a new "recruit" type, with account unlocks, please DON'T make it so you have to create and lvl up 3 different factions to get all the rewards :)
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png