test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jean Luc Picard Returns - New Star Trek Series Discussion

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
edited August 2018 in Ten Forward
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm nervous
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm nervous

Hold me!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    "Murder, He Holoed" - Jean-Luc has retired to a small village on Risa and fills his time writing Dixon Hill holodeck programs, but keeps being asked by the local constabulary to help them solve crimes.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Only if the local constabulary is played by Ian Mckellen
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    WHOOOHOOOO :)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Hopefully, this means no more prequels after Discovery.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    > @khan5000 said:
    > Only if the local constabulary is played by Ian Mckellen

I would watch that. So much.

> @mustrumridcully0 said:
    >
    >
    >
    > Hold me!

If you don't mind my fragrance xP
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I wonder when it'll be set? It can only be between Nemesis and Hobus or after Hobus due to Stewart's age. Dealing with the fallout from the destruction of Romulus and the disappearance of Spock as the new Federation ambassador to Vulcan would be interesting.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    I wonder when it'll be set? It can only be between Nemesis and Hobus or after Hobus due to Stewart's age. Dealing with the fallout from the destruction of Romulus and the disappearance of Spock as the new Federation ambassador to Vulcan would be interesting.

That is assuming that they keep the destruction of Romulus. The creators of Picard's new show could just state that the destruction of Romulus happened in a parallel universe not the Prime Universe and have Picard as the Federation Ambassador to Romulus if the creators wanted to. It would resolve the issue about time travel and Star Trek 2009. If old Spock was from a parallel universe, then it doesn't matter what happened in Star Trek 2009 since the Prime Universe would not be affected.

As far as being Federation Ambassador to Vulcan, that all depends on if they want to treat the Star Trek: Countdown comic as Prime Universe canon. The creators of the new series gets to define what is canon for Star Trek so they could make Picard a Captain, Admiral, or Ambassador. Although hopefully, Picard is an Ambadassador not an Ambassador.
  • Options
    I definitely would love a retired Picard gathering the old crew for some amazing adventure, like AGT.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starkaos wrote: »

That is assuming that they keep the destruction of Romulus. The creators of Picard's new show could just state that the destruction of Romulus happened in a parallel universe not the Prime Universe and have Picard as the Federation Ambassador to Romulus if the creators wanted to. It would resolve the issue about time travel and Star Trek 2009. If old Spock was from a parallel universe, then it doesn't matter what happened in Star Trek 2009 since the Prime Universe would not be affected.

As far as being Federation Ambassador to Vulcan, that all depends on if they want to treat the Star Trek: Countdown comic as Prime Universe canon. The creators of the new series gets to define what is canon for Star Trek so they could make Picard a Captain, Admiral, or Ambassador. Although hopefully, Picard is an Ambadassador not an Ambassador.

Ambassador Spock is from the Prime Timeline. He has a photo of the TWoK crew in his belongings. There are no problems relating to the time travel in 09.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    It will be just him wandering around his vineyards... enjoying his retirement. Nothing to see here.... LOL :D
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • Options
    It will be just him wandering around his vineyards... enjoying his retirement. Nothing to see here.... LOL :D

I would watch the squeal out of this. Sir Patrick's divine voice going on to talk about vintages? Oh oink yes!​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    This leaves me 2 questions, one who will be carrying this in Canada, and secondly will this be compatible with STO story.

STO will be busy adding material from both this and discovery.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > "Murder, He Holoed" - Jean-Luc has retired to a small village on Risa and fills his time writing Dixon Hill holodeck programs, but keeps being asked by the local constabulary to help them solve crimes.

"Golden Captains" Sisko, Picard, Janeway, and Sisko move in together with Siskos father.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I'm curious if any other TNG characters will be joining him, specifically Dr Crusher.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    If its going to be 20 or so years on from TNG, then we can assume Picard will be an admiral and probably not in the centre seat... Unless he's been really naughty? But sure, as to ST:O, will the NCC-1701-F be an Odyssey Class, and will Shon be the Captain? If not, then how will ST:O reconcile the change?

Also, someone could probably answer who was captain of the E after Picard and before Shon, who was on the Belfast before taking the F?

Interesting to see...
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I believe Data was captain of the Enterprise-E after Picard, also I believe STO is set thirty years after Nemesis, or ten years after this new Picard show, so IF STO were to be followed there wouldn't be an Enterprise-F yet, either the E would still be around or there would simply be no Enterprise.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > I believe Data was captain of the Enterprise-E after Picard, also I believe STO is set thirty years after Nemesis, or ten years after this new Picard show, so IF STO were to be followed there wouldn't be an Enterprise-F yet, either the E would still be around or there would simply be no Enterprise.

Ah, thanks.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

Ambassador Spock is from the Prime Timeline. He has a photo of the TWoK crew in his belongings. There are no problems relating to the time travel in 09.

Having a photo of the TWOK crew in his belongings is not indicative that he is from the Prime Universe. The Parallels episode had a bunch of parallel universes that are extremely similar to the Prime Universe with only a few minor changes. So old Spock could be from the parallel universe that is completely identical to the Prime Universe except the events of Spock's Brain never happened.

The problem with time travel in Star Trek 2009 is that there are numerous instances in Star Trek where either by malice or accident, the original timeline is erased by someone going back in time and requires the heroes to fix the timeline. If the Prime Universe is perfectly fine, then Star Trek 2009 violates that precedence. Having old Spock from a parallel universe has the original timeline of that parallel universe erased and replaced by the timeline in the new Star Trek movies.

The Prime Universe continues to exist and there is no need to create some weird rule about time travel such as any time travel to the past creates a new timeline and doesn't erase the original. If such a rule exists, then there was no need for Picard to go back in time and prevent the Borg invasion of Earth since his actions only created a third timeline of the Enterprise-E returning to Earth instead of the original timeline where the Enterprise-E disappeared after the Borg Queen attacked Earth in the 24th Century, and the second timeline where the Borg assimilated the Earth in the 21st Century. This turns a heroic act of saving their timeline into a completely selfish one of getting back to a place that looks like their home. It also removes the dilemma of Children of Time where the Defiant crew has to make the decision of going back to DS9 and erase their descendants from existence or going back in time to live on that planet so their descendants exist. Time travel stories need changing the past erases the original timeline or else there is no drama in the story due to time travel.
  • Options
    Leonard Nimoy is credited as Spock Prime in Star Trek. He’s from the Prime universe.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Leonard Nimoy is credited as Spock Prime in Star Trek. He’s from the Prime universe.

Doesn't matter. It is up to the whims of the creators of the new Picard series to define if old Spock is Spock Prime or not. Comic books are infamous for doing retcons and rendering what we know to be true for years, incorrect.

If Romulus is still around after 2387, then old Spock is not Spock Prime. If Romulus is destroyed, Spock is missing, and it is set after 2387, then old Spock is Spock Prime. If Romulus is around and it is 2387 or before, then old Spock might be Spock Prime. It would be difficult to have the events leading up to the destruction of Romulus without Leonard Nimoy. The aftermath would be much easier to do.

Personally, I will wait until we get some concrete information about the new Picard series before making some assumptions about whether Romulus is destroyed or not. No matter what the creators of the Picard series decides, it will finally put to rest the question about whether part of Star Trek 2009 is set in the Prime Universe assuming that it is set during or after 2387.

Also, there is the issue of what type of character that Patrick Stewart wants to play. If he wants some action and the main role, then playing as an Admiral or Ambassador won't provide that. Being Admiral or Ambassador would be meeting, after meeting, after meeting and I doubt that many people would want to see Picard talking mostly about politics or ordering ships around. It would be annoying if Patrick Stewart gets a supporting role when the new Star Trek series' hype is focusing around Picard.
  • Options
    Wait what? The Kelvin Movies are not set in the Prime Universe. The movie explicitly states they are in an alternate reality.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    The beginnimg is and Nimoy's Spock is prime Spock. Debating that is kind of daft. It's arguing for the sake of arguing, like saying due to TNGs 'Parallels' it's actually Sauron pullimg all the strings, we just never see him, pretending we have 'Schrödinger's canon'. But starkaos knows that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Wait what? The Kelvin Movies are not set in the Prime Universe. The movie explicitly states they are in an alternate reality.
    However, the Hobus event was in the prime timeline; Prime Spock was sent back along with the Narada by his attempt to stop the wavefront of the "supernova". That's how he wound up in the Kelvin timeline.

On the other hand, according to the timelines I've been able to track down, setting this new show twenty years after the events of TNG means that the Hobus event should have been three years prior - perhaps Ambassador Picard is involved in efforts to preserve what remains of the Romulan people, as they become the living battleground for the fighting between the Star Empire and the Imperial State (and perhaps even the bare beginnings of the Republic)? And there's still a good nineteen years to go before the Battle of Vega IX, the capture of Franklin Drake by a B'rel-class frigate near the Klingon border, and the Elachi attack in Virinat...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    On the other hand, according to the timelines I've been able to track down, setting this new show twenty years after the events of TNG means that the Hobus event should have been three years prior - perhaps Ambassador Picard is involved in efforts to preserve what remains of the Romulan people, as they become the living battleground for the fighting between the Star Empire and the Imperial State (and perhaps even the bare beginnings of the Republic)? And there's still a good nineteen years to go before the Battle of Vega IX, the capture of Franklin Drake by a B'rel-class frigate near the Klingon border, and the Elachi attack in Virinat...

That is assuming that the creators bother with STO's timeline and not create their own. The creators of the new Star Trek series might think having an alliance in opposition to the Federation like the Typhon Pact makes a better story for their series. We already have a former Federation enemy that has been devastated with the Cardassians. It just seems redundant to have it with the Romulans as well. No matter what we think doesn't matter, the creators of the new Star Trek series have complete control in creating the story they want. If they want to show the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, create a hostile version of the Federation with the Romulans part of it, or some other new story, then there is nothing we can do.

Although, the destruction of Romulus in one reality and the destruction of Vulcan in another makes me wonder what JJ Abrams has against pointy eared aliens.