test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jean Luc Picard Returns - New Star Trek Series Discussion

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    All threads discussing new Star Trek series featuring the return of Jean Luc Picard merged here. Title changed to reflect.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I kind of wish they were going to use some of the same creative minds behind TNG. Looks like the people behind the Kelvin-timeline and DSC are behind this so far. Will be interesting to see a TV-cinematic Picard at least.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I'm sure you've all heard about the new series.
    According to Patrick Stewart, The year will be 2399. The turn of the century. 12 years after Romulus is destroyed, and 10 years prior to the start of Star Trek Online in 2409.

I think they should try to incorporate as much STO aesthetics into it as possible. At this point, Starfleet would be using the Sierra Uniforms.
    Doing this would bring added validity to STO and probably cause a surge in usage. CBS owns part of STO so it would benifit from that.

What do you guys think?

It is up to the creators of the new Star Trek series if they want Romulus to remain destroyed or whether the events in Star Trek 2009 never happened in their reality. A better story might be told if Romulus remains than repeating the aftermath of Romulus' destruction that was told in STO. Now if the new Star Trek series was set in 2387 before and after the destruction of Romulus, that would be more interesting.

There is no way that this Star Trek series would be set 10 years before STO due to the presence of the Path to 2409. The creators of the new Star Trek series would want to create their own stories than what was created in a MMO. The new Star Trek series might take inspiration from the novels, STO, and other video games, but it won't rely on it.
  • Options
    generalkertag#2364 generalkertag Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Now lets be clear. Star Trek Online takes its cues from the series, NOT the other way around. Having a license to produce a game based on a television series does not make one an authority on how a seires develops or on how it casts its characters. CBS owns the rights to all things Star Trek, and as said owner, they dictate the terms of how things are done concerning Star Trek. Add onto the recent change in STO leadership, and the fact that Star Trek Discovery is taking center stage this year; I highly doubt that CBS will be asking for input from STO. The logical conclusion to follow is that the new series will be following the carrer progression of Capt. Picard. I am sure there will be cameos from former TNG cast and crew, however the due to the lack of announcements at this point in time of any other TNG cast members about also joining Sir Patrick in the new series supports this conclusion. Idle speculation is at best a waste of time, and at worst a complete path to disaster. That being said, i am impatient to read more about it. LLAP.
    2j4zi3k.jpg

• Options
    generalkertag#2364 generalkertag Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I believe Data was captain of the Enterprise-E after Picard, also I believe STO is set thirty years after Nemesis, or ten years after this new Picard show, so IF STO were to be followed there wouldn't be an Enterprise-F yet, either the E would still be around or there would simply be no Enterprise.
    Data died. Duh! There was never any follow up with B-4 after the end of the movie. And thank you for reminding everyone of such a painful memory. Meanie!
    2j4zi3k.jpg

• Options
    I believe Data was captain of the Enterprise-E after Picard, also I believe STO is set thirty years after Nemesis, or ten years after this new Picard show, so IF STO were to be followed there wouldn't be an Enterprise-F yet, either the E would still be around or there would simply be no Enterprise.
    Data died. Duh! There was never any follow up with B-4 after the end of the movie. And thank you for reminding everyone of such a painful memory. Meanie!

There is the indication that Data still lives within B-4 since Data copied all his memories to B-4 and B-4 was singing the song that Data sung at Riker's and Troi's wedding. The new Star Trek series doesn't have to follow what was shown in Star Trek 2009 or Star Trek Online just the whims of its creators. Star Trek Online and Star Trek: Countdown had Data take over B-4's body, but it seems more like B-4 sacrificing his life so his brother could live. The new Star Trek series could have B-4 exist and Data is still gone if the creators want B-4 instead Data or transfer Data's memories into a new android body so B-4 and Data can both live.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I believe there was a tie-in comic that was released when the first JJ Trek movie came out that had Data in B4's body and in command of the Enterprise when Spock and Nero went back in time.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    Just be thankful they aren't making a show about James Kurland.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    siotaylor wrote: »

Or about Wesley.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    siotaylor wrote: »
    Little did we know that Patrick Stewart would in fact be playing Jean-Luc Picard as a permanent resident of Deep Space Nine in a sitcom about life on the station, "Kurland Here!"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    This series is set in 2399 in STO its when the Klingons conquer the Gorn and the Federation Council condemns them.

what happens to STO if they don't follow the timeline established in the path to 2409?

There is absolutely zero evidence that STO is in the Prime Universe since the Prime Universe after Nemesis is strictly limited to any future TV show or series after Nemesis or if the IP owners of Star Trek decide to label as part of the Prime Universe. So if CBS decides to declare that STO is in the Prime Universe, then it is in the Prime Universe. So the new Star Trek series can do whatever they want without affecting STO since it is extremely unlikely that CBS will declare STO as part of the Prime Universe.

STO and the various Star Trek novels all exist in their own universe. There are at least 2 novel universes, the Shatnerverse based on the 9 books that William Shatner wrote or co-wrote and the Typhon Pact universe. Each of them is based on the same concept of telling the story after Voyager and/or Nemesis depending on when the novel came out.

FALSE

STO is not canon, but it IS set in the prime universe, that isn't even debatable. In fact it was explicitly stated as being in the prime universe on the STO site for many years in the background info on the events of the game leading up to 2409. I know that because I read it on the site myself. Most of the novels are also set in the prime universe. Just because they aren't canon doesn't mean they aren't set in the same universe

• Options
    This series is set in 2399 in STO its when the Klingons conquer the Gorn and the Federation Council condemns them.

what happens to STO if they don't follow the timeline established in the path to 2409?

There is absolutely zero evidence that STO is in the Prime Universe since the Prime Universe after Nemesis is strictly limited to any future TV show or series after Nemesis or if the IP owners of Star Trek decide to label as part of the Prime Universe. So if CBS decides to declare that STO is in the Prime Universe, then it is in the Prime Universe. So the new Star Trek series can do whatever they want without affecting STO since it is extremely unlikely that CBS will declare STO as part of the Prime Universe.

STO and the various Star Trek novels all exist in their own universe. There are at least 2 novel universes, the Shatnerverse based on the 9 books that William Shatner wrote or co-wrote and the Typhon Pact universe. Each of them is based on the same concept of telling the story after Voyager and/or Nemesis depending on when the novel came out.

FALSE

STO is not canon, but it IS set in the prime universe, that isn't even debatable. In fact it was explicitly stated as being in the prime universe on the STO site for many years in the background info on the events of the game leading up to 2409. I know that because I read it on the site myself. Most of the novels are also set in the prime universe. Just because they aren't canon doesn't mean they aren't set in the same universe

So you can have the Romulan Star Empire be part of the Typhon Pact and no Typhon Pact in the same universe? There is only one Prime Universe and contradictory events can't happen in the same universe.

The Prime Universe is strictly limited to any TV series or movies that are not intentionally set in an alternate reality or the owners of the Star Trek IP designate as part of the Prime Universe. Canon is the Prime Universe. So whatever history that the new Star Trek series creates between Voyager and the new Star Trek series is Canon not anything on the Path to 2409 or in a novel. So unless the new Star Trek series takes the Path to 2409 as doctrine, then STO is in a parallel universe. The creators of the new Star Trek series want to create their own story and not rely on someone else's creativity.

If the new Star Trek series takes the Path to 2409 as doctrine and set in 2399, then the I.K.S. Kang returns to Qo'noS with evidence that the Undine are controlling the Gorn, the Klingon-Gorn War starts, the Klingon Empire breaks their alliance with the Federation, and the Federation Transwarp network opens. Not a bad year to start if they decide to treat STO as doctrine, but it destroys creative freedom.
  • Options
    dbeiswengerdbeiswenger Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I kind of wish they were going to use some of the same creative minds behind TNG. Looks like the people behind the Kelvin-timeline and DSC are behind this so far. Will be interesting to see a TV-cinematic Picard at least.

Ronald
    D
    Moore

Pleaaaaseeee
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

FALSE

So you can have the Romulan Star Empire be part of the Typhon Pact and no Typhon Pact in the same universe? There is only one Prime Universe and contradictory events can't happen in the same universe.
    Set in the Prime Universe means that everythnig in Star Trek Online is based on stuff that happened in the Prime Unvierse, not a parallel universe, not the Kelvin Timeline or anythnig else.

Anything STO adds as story that isn't mentioned in the Prime Universe is its own.
    The novelverse is also based on the Prime Universe, but anything new happening in them is als their own.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbr.com/cbs-all-access-wants-year-round-star-trek-series/amp/

This new series is only the beginning, they are exploring all kinds of idea and want a star trek series on at all times.
  • Options
    > @reyan01 said:
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbr.com/cbs-all-access-wants-year-round-star-trek-series/amp/
    >
    > This new series is only the beginning, they are exploring all kinds of idea and want a star trek series on at all times.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah - sadly this is prompting countless Social Media discussions, the vast majority containing words to the effect of "They should do" followed by the poster's personal wish.

Why is that sad, it's okay to dream and have ones own fantasies as to the direction star trek should take.

Heck I have my own ideas, like mirror universe series, a series that focuses on a ship that isn't a federation ship, a series that is about a human colony that has rejected the federation for independence (the one Tasha Yarr came from, like why would it reject Utopia of the federation for Distopia, what happened there?).
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/jLl17YXrAZY

Midnights edge on Discovery, the new Star Trek series with Picard, the effect of Les Moonves on Star Trek and the possible effect of his possible removal could have on star trek.

Take with a grain of salt if course, but very interesting.
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > starkaos wrote: »
    >
    > lazarus51166 wrote: »
    >
    > starkaos wrote: »
    >
    > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    >
    > This series is set in 2399 in STO its when the Klingons conquer the Gorn and the Federation Council condemns them.
    >
    > what happens to STO if they don't follow the timeline established in the path to 2409?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There is absolutely zero evidence that STO is in the Prime Universe since the Prime Universe after Nemesis is strictly limited to any future TV show or series after Nemesis or if the IP owners of Star Trek decide to label as part of the Prime Universe. So if CBS decides to declare that STO is in the Prime Universe, then it is in the Prime Universe. So the new Star Trek series can do whatever they want without affecting STO since it is extremely unlikely that CBS will declare STO as part of the Prime Universe.
    >
    > STO and the various Star Trek novels all exist in their own universe. There are at least 2 novel universes, the Shatnerverse based on the 9 books that William Shatner wrote or co-wrote and the Typhon Pact universe. Each of them is based on the same concept of telling the story after Voyager and/or Nemesis depending on when the novel came out.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > FALSE
    >
    > STO is not canon, but it IS set in the prime universe, that isn't even debatable. In fact it was explicitly stated as being in the prime universe on the STO site for many years in the background info on the events of the game leading up to 2409. I know that because I read it on the site myself. Most of the novels are also set in the prime universe. Just because they aren't canon doesn't mean they aren't set in the same universe
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So you can have the Romulan Star Empire be part of the Typhon Pact and no Typhon Pact in the same universe? There is only one Prime Universe and contradictory events can't happen in the same universe.
    >
    >
    >
    > Set in the Prime Universe means that everythnig in Star Trek Online is based on stuff that happened in the Prime Unvierse, not a parallel universe, not the Kelvin Timeline or anythnig else.
    >
    >
    > Anything STO adds as story that isn't mentioned in the Prime Universe is its own.
    > The novelverse is also based on the Prime Universe, but anything new happening in them is als their own.

There are two distinct timelines after nemesis the destiny timeline which is most of the novels and the cryptic timeline which is sto as the novels aren’t licensed by cbs it’s more likely that either the cryptic timeline will officially become a continuation of the prime timeline or they will go in a completely different direction though I hope not
  • Options
    ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    So its been Conformed that Picard is Back and it is Set 20 years After the events of Nemesis and This is What I Think The series will be about. It will start after the Discretion of Romulus Where Ambassador Spock and Nero pulled into the Black hole and enter to what we Know as the Kelvin Universe. Picard felt close to Spock from his Relations to his Father and felt a loss when he is presumed killed in the Black Hole. He Left Vulcan and Retired soon after thinking there is no place for him on Vulcan anymore and managed his Families Winery. While plucking at grabs he received a Message from an old Friend and decided to go for one last mission to save his friend.
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
  • Options
    ryuranger wrote: »
    So its been Conformed that Picard is Back and it is Set 20 years After the events of Nemesis and This is What I Think The series will be about. It will start after the Discretion of Romulus Where Ambassador Spock and Nero pulled into the Black hole and enter to what we Know as the Kelvin Universe. Picard felt close to Spock from his Relations to his Father and felt a loss when he is presumed killed in the Black Hole. He Left Vulcan and Retired soon after thinking there is no place for him on Vulcan anymore and managed his Families Winery. While plucking at grabs he received a Message from an old Friend and decided to go for one last mission to save his friend.

The only thing we know about Picard's new series is that it is set 20 years after Nemesis. We don't know which decisions the creators will make about the time between Nemesis and Picard's series. For all we know, it could be the Star Trek version of The Odd Couple featuring Picard and Q.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    @darkbladejk
    Another Picard tv series thread, can you merge this into the Jean-Luc Picard Returns mega thread please.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    There are two distinct timelines after nemesis the destiny timeline which is most of the novels and the cryptic timeline which is sto as the novels aren’t licensed by cbs it’s more likely that either the cryptic timeline will officially become a continuation of the prime timeline or they will go in a completely different direction though I hope not

The novels are licensed by CBS actually. they have to be or they won't get published (if I understand things properly).
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    The Scimitar's stats make sense if you assume it was optimized to perform stealth alpha strikes. To slip behind enemy lines, find isolated high value targets and obliterate them in a single salvo without ever decloaking. The enemy would never have time to raise shields, get off a distress call, or launch escape pods.

----

I think it is pretty safe to say that the new series will probably ignore the novel-verse and STO when it establishes itself. We will probably be lucky if it is even visually consistent with what has come before.

I'm personally a little more concerned by Patrick Stewarts comment that this will be an incarnation of Picard that we aren't familiar with, that the character is a changed man. I'm honestly worried that we might see a broken and beaten down Picard like in the possible-future of "All Good Things".

Modern writers seem to obsess over deconstructing positive uplifting stories, and instead dwell in pessimism.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    (...)

Modern writers seem to obsess over deconstructing positive uplifting stories, and instead dwell in pessimism.

They absolutely are. However, I think Stewart hadn't agreed if there wasn't a way for Picard to find that hope again. I am actually quite excited about this and hope that this is the new Star Trek show I would have liked to see instead of Discovery. Even if it is no traditional Star Trek but more of a personal journal of Jean-Luc.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Midnights edge on Discovery, the new Star Trek series with Picard, the effect of Les Moonves on Star Trek and the possible effect of his possible removal could have on star trek.

Take with a grain of salt if course, but very interesting.
    They are still wrong on the rights issues. I don't know why they keep making outlandish assumptions based on wrong information.

Paramount can make any Star Trek movie it wants WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM CBS. CBS can make any Star Trek show it wants. However, merchandising rights belong solely to CBS. Specifically, CBS Consumer Products. In fact, Paramount cannot even advertise a Star Trek movie, according to the merchandising agreement.

There is no "special" license for Paramount to make Star Trek movies. The negotiations between Paramount and CBS are regarding advertising and merchandising. That's it. Enough with the "Paramount/Abrams/Kutrzman" conspiracies. It's stupid.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    it's the streaming services marathon. which is sort of good for us. i think we will get many new shows. even old ideas, will be relevant again. starfleet academy, captain worf, starfleet medical ...

i would do some seasons that leads to the temporal accords
  • Options
    I wonder if they will eventually dust off that idea they had for a "Final Frontier" animated series. Set in an era when the Federation has abandoned exploration, a single Starfleet ship is sent out for the first time in over a century to boldly go where no one has gone before. The concept art I've seen and the synopsis sound pretty interesting. At this point it would be an almost symbolic return to form.
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    I wonder if they will eventually dust off that idea they had for a "Final Frontier" animated series. Set in an era when the Federation has abandoned exploration, a single Starfleet ship is sent out for the first time in over a century to boldly go where no one has gone before. The concept art I've seen and the synopsis sound pretty interesting. At this point it would be an almost symbolic return to form.

And animated series allow for far more creativity. Just look at all the crazy aliens and technology in TAS that would have never appeared in any other Star Trek series. Although, I doubt that the Federation will ever abandon exploration since the Federation is about diversity is our strength. Each new alien race in the Federation brings some unique insight, ability, or technology to the Federation. Besides there is always a new realm to explore. Explored the entire Milky Way Galaxy? Then explore the Andromeda Galaxy. Explored the entire universe? Then explore the Mirror Universe. Explored the entire multiverse? Then explore 200,000 BC. I seriously doubt humans would be still around to explore every period of time in every alternate reality or even explore the entire universe for that matter.
  • Options
    And animated series allow for far more creativity. Just look at all the crazy aliens and technology in TAS that would have never appeared in any other Star Trek series. Although, I doubt that the Federation will ever abandon exploration since the Federation is about diversity is our strength. Each new alien race in the Federation brings some unique insight, ability, or technology to the Federation. Besides there is always a new realm to explore. Explored the entire Milky Way Galaxy? Then explore the Andromeda Galaxy. Explored the entire universe? Then explore the Mirror Universe. Explored the entire multiverse? Then explore 200,000 BC. I seriously doubt humans would be still around to explore every period of time in every alternate reality or even explore the entire universe for that matter.

One could argue that isolationism would be the next logical interpretation of the Prime Directive. If you don't want to interfere or become involved in the affairs of other cultures you have to stop seeking them out. In the 23rd century the Prime Directive was just a set of guidelines that were ultimately up to the discretion of the captains, by the 24th century it had been enshrined as unquestionable dogma, who knows what it would become by the 25th century.

There is also the fact that the Dominion War was the single most devastating conflict the Federation had ever seen. Infrastructure was ravaged, planets were occupied and probably looted, millions if not billions dead and countless more displaced as refugees, the fleet in shambles, the region politically unstable. All of this is going to leave deep psychological scars on the Federation populace, and many of them are going to want to know why it happened and who was responsible. Ultimately this blame would fall on Starfleet and its provocative exploration program.

All in all I could easily see the 25th century largely being written off as a lost era as the Federation collectively copes with the trauma of the Dominion War.