test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My problems with TRIBBLE

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,345 Arc User
    Spock being "emotional"? You mean something like this?

Spock_Smile.jpg
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Spock being "emotional"? You mean something like this?

Spock_Smile.jpg

Great example could also be Spock realizing that he didn't murder Kirk.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > Here is the article that moron in the above YouTube video is referencing https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-2-spock-different/... to save everyone from having to suffer through watching more than 3 seconds of it.

Thx. I couldn't find it at the time.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    > @valoreah said:
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    > THANK YOU!!! (I tried to watch it, I could feel the assault on my intelligence...if I'd suffered through it too much longer I might've become a Discovery fan...)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > LOL!
    >
    > You're very welcome. I'm glad my suffering benefited others.

I only watch him for comedic value and he's a half decent voice actor. Though with his discovery rants I know he's going WAYYY off the deep end.

I just hope DSC gets better, and not blow it with Spock. But I got a bad feeling about this.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Well, being emotional is not the problem. Vulcans are an emotional people who feel so strongly their lead culture decided to control it to not cause harm. Remember that Spock could feel a beings emotion, fear and pain via a mind-meld and catalyse it.

What will be problematic is the story revolving around the shoehorned-into-canon foster sister who appearantly is the sole reason for Spock being Spock as we know it, though naturally has no impact on actual canon as she never existed before. And I think it remains questionable why they go this way. It's so... Unnecessary.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @valoreah said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > What will be problematic is the story revolving around the shoehorned-into-canon foster sister who appearantly is the sole reason for Spock being Spock as we know it, though naturally has no impact on actual canon as she never existed before. And I think it remains questionable why they go this way. It's so... Unnecessary.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Canon for something like Star Trek isn't written in stone. It is fluid and will continue to change. If 50 years from now they want to write a story about how T'Pol is Spock's legitimate mother, then it will be canon.

And many a desk would be flipped.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    What will be problematic is the story revolving around the shoehorned-into-canon foster sister who appearantly is the sole reason for Spock being Spock as we know it, though naturally has no impact on actual canon as she never existed before. And I think it remains questionable why they go this way. It's so... Unnecessary.
    Canon for something like Star Trek isn't written in stone. It is fluid and will continue to change. If 50 years from now they want to write a story about how T'Pol is Spock's legitimate mother, then it will be canon.
    Or reveal that T'Pol is Archer's cousin. :p Remember the way "Carbon Creek" ended? It turned out that one of T'Pol's ancestors was part of a crew of 3 Vulcan who went to Earth. The episode suggested that none of them left descendants on Earth, but it had the two guys doing assorted jobs and Mestral spent a bit more time interacting with Maggie than the others thought was proper and got left behind when they returned to Vulcan. Did Mestral procreate with any Humans? It's a possibility but not examined in the episode.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

Canon for something like Star Trek isn't written in stone. It is fluid and will continue to change. If 50 years from now they want to write a story about how T'Pol is Spock's legitimate mother, then it will be canon.

Yes. It would also be really stupid, contrived, self-destructive, insulting, etcetera, etcetera.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Or reveal that T'Pol is Archer's cousin. :p Remember the way "Carbon Creek" ended? It turned out that one of T'Pol's ancestors was part of a crew of 3 Vulcan who went to Earth. The episode suggested that none of them left descendants on Earth, but it had the two guys doing assorted jobs and Mestral spent a bit more time interacting with Maggie than the others thought was proper and got left behind when they returned to Vulcan. Did Mestral procreate with any Humans? It's a possibility but not examined in the episode.

It is extremely difficult for Human/Vulcan Hybrids to exist without advanced medical technology for it to succeed. After all, Humans and Vulcans have completely different blood chemistry with Human blood based on iron and Vulcan blood based on copper. So even if Vulcans tried to procreate with Humans unless the Human had some weird biochemistry or Vulcans used their advanced science, then it wouldn't happen. It is probably easier for a Human and a Chimpanzee to have a Hybrid child since they both have the same biochemistry.
    edited August 2018
    starkaos wrote: »

It is extremely difficult for Human/Vulcan Hybrids to exist without advanced medical technology for it to succeed. After all, Humans and Vulcans have completely different blood chemistry with Human blood based on iron and Vulcan blood based on copper. So even if Vulcans tried to procreate with Humans unless the Human had some weird biochemistry or Vulcans used their advanced science, then it wouldn't happen. It is probably easier for a Human and a Chimpanzee to have a Hybrid child since they both have the same biochemistry.
    This would be reasonable - but it's not the way Star Trek treats it. Thanks to the Progenitors, all sapient species in the Galaxy have LEGO genetics, and can interbreed completely accidentally. (Yes, I know it would have been more likely for Amanda to have had a child with an ear of corn than with Sarek - they share an evolutionary history, after all, while Vulcans are completely alien - but that's not Trekgenetics.)

As for Spock's previously unknown adopted sister, I've pointed out repeatedly - Spock didn't tell his best friend in the entire galaxy who his father was, until Sarek was aboard the Enterprise and Kirk tried to make Spock take shore leave to visit his parents. He nearly died rather than tell his physician about pon farr. If it hadn't been for alien spores, nobody aboard would have known he'd had a serious relationship with a Human girl while he was at the Academy. And then there was his half-brother, of whom nobody knew anything until after Sybok had already seized control of Nimbus III (and, IIRC, the Enterprise - I'm not going to go watch that poorly-written, poorly-directed piece of Star Drek again just to remember the sequence of events). Basically, Spock doesn't tell anyone anything about himself unless he has to.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

This would be reasonable - but it's not the way Star Trek treats it. Thanks to the Progenitors, all sapient species in the Galaxy have LEGO genetics, and can interbreed completely accidentally. (Yes, I know it would have been more likely for Amanda to have had a child with an ear of corn than with Sarek - they share an evolutionary history, after all, while Vulcans are completely alien - but that's not Trekgenetics.)

As for Spock's previously unknown adopted sister, I've pointed out repeatedly - Spock didn't tell his best friend in the entire galaxy who his father was, until Sarek was aboard the Enterprise and Kirk tried to make Spock take shore leave to visit his parents. He nearly died rather than tell his physician about pon farr. If it hadn't been for alien spores, nobody aboard would have known he'd had a serious relationship with a Human girl while he was at the Academy. And then there was his half-brother, of whom nobody knew anything until after Sybok had already seized control of Nimbus III (and, IIRC, the Enterprise - I'm not going to go watch that poorly-written, poorly-directed piece of Star Drek again just to remember the sequence of events). Basically, Spock doesn't tell anyone anything about himself unless he has to.

I hate to worry you, but you do have the sequence of events correct. ;)

Also, let's remember Spock's attempt to cover up that lie:

"No he's not! I know he can't be your brother, because you don't have a brother!"

"Technically you are correct. I do not have a brother."

"See? See?!"

"I have a half-brother."
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes, yes correct. I will stop criticizing it, you convinced me. No wait, you didn't xP

Sybok was dumb, not telling about pon-farr (and nobody else knowing basic biology of Vulcans) was dumb, and Burnham is also dumb.

> @valoreah said:
    >
    > Canon for something like Star Trek isn't written in stone. It is fluid and will continue to change. If 50 years from now they want to write a story about how T'Pol is Spock's legitimate mother, then it will be canon.

Did you mean to quote someone else? Because that has nothing to do with what I wrote. I'm not questioning any canonicity, I'm just pointing out that canon is stupid xD Personally starting with Voyager I dislike the majority of Trek canon. But I don't question it's status.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Yes, yes correct. I will stop criticizing it, you convinced me. No wait, you didn't xP

Sybok was dumb, not telling about pon-farr (and nobody else knowing basic biology of Vulcans) was dumb, and Burnham is also dumb.
    So, in short, Spock is dumb. Gotcha.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    > @jonsills said:
    >
    > Yes, yes correct. I will stop criticizing it, you convinced me. No wait, you didn't xP
    >
    > Sybok was dumb, not telling about pon-farr (and nobody else knowing basic biology of Vulcans) was dumb, and Burnham is also dumb.
    >
    >
    >
    > So, in short, Spock is dumb. Gotcha.

Well in certain instances, yes he is.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    There is a very easy way to explain Spock going from an emotional wreck to the extremely logical alien we know that never talks about his adopted sister, Burnham's death that is partially caused by Spock acting emotionally. Spock never talks about Burnham because it hurts too much and Spock always tries to act logically since acting emotionally partially caused her death.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Sure. Yesterday I accidentally impaled a colleague on my shoulder spike. Just took some augment blood and sweet talking and she was fine again xP

(Stop whatabouting, I explicitly said they got so many stupid superpowers. But from my perspective ST3 already existed, force calls are an arsepull if there ever was one xD)

It doesn't matter if TSfS exists or not. Long distance telepathy is just an extension of their regular telepathy in the same way the Augment blood healing Kirk of the radiation is just an extension of their inbuilt healing factor.

Katras are flat out bollocks. The whole concept of them. They're number one on the list of Vulcan stupid things in Trek. So far up that it compresses the bottom of the scale so much long distance telepathy isn't even visible any more.
    talonxv wrote: »
    What they have planned, already been leaked we're going to see a very emotional Spock. Which I am not thrilled for, unless there are some major extenuating circumstances. Like the few times it happened to Spock, something major went down.

Or, as in The Cage, when he saw some flowers.
    Spock_Smile.jpg
    talonxv wrote: »
    And I swear, if they pull the stunt I am afraid they are going to between Spock and Burnham, the fit will hit the shan.

Don't hit Shran pinkskin.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    This would be reasonable - but it's not the way Star Trek treats it. Thanks to the Progenitors, all sapient species in the Galaxy have LEGO genetics, and can interbreed completely accidentally.
    Like how Seska slept with Cullah and we got Sessen out of that in STO. She didn't even WANT to have Cullah's baby, she'd have much rather had Chakotay's baby. But she wanted to keep Cullah happy, so she did whatever he asked. And apparently he asked nicely....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > Sure. Yesterday I accidentally impaled a colleague on my shoulder spike. Just took some augment blood and sweet talking and she was fine again xP
    >
    > (Stop whatabouting, I explicitly said they got so many stupid superpowers. But from my perspective ST3 already existed, force calls are an arsepull if there ever was one xD)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It doesn't matter if TSfS exists or not. Long distance telepathy is just an extension of their regular telepathy in the same way the Augment blood healing Kirk of the radiation is just an extension of their inbuilt healing factor.
    >
    > Katras are flat out bollocks. The whole concept of them. They're number one on the list of Vulcan stupid things in Trek. So far up that it compresses the bottom of the scale so much long distance telepathy isn't even visible any more.
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > What they have planned, already been leaked we're going to see a very emotional Spock. Which I am not thrilled for, unless there are some major extenuating circumstances. Like the few times it happened to Spock, something major went down.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Or, as in The Cage, when he saw some flowers.
    >
    >
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > And I swear, if they pull the stunt I am afraid they are going to between Spock and Burnham, the fit will hit the shan.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Don't hit Shran pinkskin.​​

Who knows maybe I challenge him to a duel.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    Sessen isn't canon; Unnamed Kazon/Cardassian Hybrid is (he wasn't named in the show)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Sessen isn't canon; Unnamed Kazon/Cardassian Hybrid is (he wasn't named in the show)​​
    The point remains, however, that LEGO Genetics are in full display here. Any two sapient hominids can interbreed, even if they're from opposite sides of the galaxy. No, it doesn't make sense, but then again neither does encoding a holographic recording across several different species and having it still in readable format a billion years later (TNG: "The Chase"), so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    preserver tech is very robust - kind of like the ancient tech in stargate, whose repositories of knowledge are ALL in perfect working order billions of years later​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Genetics, however, tend to drift over the course of billions of years. Heck, they tend to drift over the course of mere millions - there's a reason why the largest remaining dinosaur relatives are ostriches and emus, a mere shadow of their Tyrannosaur ancestors. And that's just on one planet, with a relatively calm star.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Given that we don't really know how the "seeding" process works, it's possible that the Preservers used relics similar to the Obelisk thingies to guide genetic evolution.
    latest?cb=20171002170348&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing