Yes I'm going to tackle this. And you guys are free to list your comments and concerns with the show.
Starting with the Klingons.
1. Their Klingon sounds HORRIBLE. Just use it here and there then use the universal translator. My god it hurts my ears.
2. Ships. You're trying to tell me those...things....are set in between Ent and TOS? Yeah no.
3. However I could of bought it if those Klingons were an offshoot of the mutagenic virus that swept the Empire during Ent and left for the fringes of the empire to be alone and find their own way and now are back to fix the spineless pah'taq and lead the empire back to glory. Not a cheap shot at conservatism that has been sweeping the western world lately as a backlash to progressivism.
Now the Federation.
1. Technology. Specifically the spore drive and holographic communications. The former, because that tech simply does not fit. WAY too advanced for the day. This is something I'd expect to find in STO years after the Dominion war. Not 10 years before STO. And holographic coms? Ummm NO. That was JUST beginning to be toyed with in DS9 around 2371. Not 2254. Just NO.
2. Burnham. I abhor her character. All of it. Supplanting Spock as a HUMAN in the eyes of Sarek? Umm who wrote that mess? Mutiny? Wanting to shoot the Klingons without provocation flying in the face of Logic? Just a never ending message of badly written female empowerment of saying "hey you can break every rule in the book. But still be the hero." Make Burnham a male, yeah he'd if gone to prison and never seen the light of day.
3. Ship design. Felt like a retooled JJ verse show. Sizing was upscaled for no reason while trying to be prime timeline. Had this been it's own separate line, most of my issues disappear. Except for Burnham.
4. How I'd fix tech issues:
A. Scale correctly!!!
B. Replace spore drive with Transwarp. Now before we slip a gear. Excelsior was not stated in the movie to be the first ship ever to have it. Could of been the first ship to see if the tech could be used and massed produced while Discovery could be the first ship to actually be proof of concept. But at the time the federation didn't have the resources to mass produce the tech needed to fully outfit the fleet. And the holo communications, DITCH THEM. Use a damn screen like everyone else!!!
5. Aesthetics. Hey I get that if Gene had the tech of today, TOS would look WAY different. But stop going overboard and stop creeping ideas over from JJ verse. I get a lot of the production crew worked on those movies, but pull your heads out of your 6 if you want to be in the prime timeline for God's sake!
What didn't bother me.
1. Lorca. Too bad though he didn't get long enough screen time.
2. TRIBBLE on screen relationship in a show. Didn't feel forced and felt organic to the show.
3. Holly wasn't bad but at times a bit too comical.
4. Re imagined Enterprise looked good. Almost like the second flight Enterprise the producers had in mind until they went with the TMP refit style. Someone said it best, JJ should of used a design like that in his movies.
Those are my biggest bones of contention with the show. TRIBBLE is a major victim of the times we live in. Yes Star Trek many times pushed social issues into the show. Many times it felt organic to the story. Sometimes it was a bit too on the nose like the TNG episode that warp drive was hurting the universe. Biggest issue with the show it's almost ALL completely on the nose with its message and feels like they are beating me over the head with what they want to say rather than creatively sliding it into the story.
Just my thoughts and views. Take them as you will.
Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1