test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My problems with TRIBBLE

1111213141517»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 8,708 Arc User
    Interesting how you all assume that overlaying a new personality - an alien personality, at that - is supposed to be a mature technology that can only go wrong if the ones doing it are stupid.

Personally, I was assuming it was a new technique that this House of "tricksters" was experimenting with. Early results were promising, and the war wasn't going that well for them at that point, so it was worth a shot. However, as often happens with the first large-scale deployment of a new technology, things didn't work out exactly as planned. That's not "stupid", that's just bad luck. It happens. (And they did a better job with their next version of the technique, used on Arne Darvin, who managed to successfully infiltrate Federation bureaucracy and nearly foiled the Fed's long-term plans for an entire sector of the Neutral Zone before running across a creature that shouldn't have been anywhere near Deep Space K-7.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Interesting how you all assume that overlaying a new personality - an alien personality, at that - is supposed to be a mature technology that can only go wrong if the ones doing it are stupid.

Personally, I was assuming it was a new technique that this House of "tricksters" was experimenting with. Early results were promising, and the war wasn't going that well for them at that point, so it was worth a shot. However, as often happens with the first large-scale deployment of a new technology, things didn't work out exactly as planned. That's not "stupid", that's just bad luck. It happens. (And they did a better job with their next version of the technique, used on Arne Darvin, who managed to successfully infiltrate Federation bureaucracy and nearly foiled the Fed's long-term plans for an entire sector of the Neutral Zone before running across a creature that shouldn't have been anywhere near Deep Space K-7.)

I always assumed it was the precursor technology used on Arne Darvin. Although, it sounds like they only bothered with the body modifications in the case of Arne Darvin since splicing two personalities together usually doesn't works well. Having a Klingon personality in a human body is far more easy to control than a Human and Klingon personality in a Human body.
    Although, it seemed to work well enough in Tuvix's case even if Janeway killed him.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 34,458 Arc User
    Tuvix is different because the two personalities fused fully and weren't fully hostile. This process took two people who hated each other and didn't fully fuse them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 8,708 Arc User
    They placed enough of an overlay on Darvin that he could successfully walk right by all the various telepathic species in the Federation. If they'd done something like that with Voq, rather than trying a complete secondary personality, it might have succeeded. (Or it might not - there's no way of knowing at this point...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 33,328 Arc User
    a simple medical scan uncovered him, though​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

How Game Devs SHOULD be interacted with:
    http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/157238832062/i-remember-your-52080-rule-and-it-was-an-awesome

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"

"Beware of dog. Or possibly, enhanced, psycho-addicted, cybernetically-enhanced nightstalker death-dealing dog from hell."
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

Stand with Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! #TASforSTO
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,585 Arc User
    a simple medical scan uncovered him, though​​

Yes, maybe they did adjust the technology. Or Starfleet adjusted its medical tricorders to be able to identify future Tylers.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 9,890 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > a simple medical scan uncovered him, though​​

It seems to be common within Starfleet to have no squealin' idea about anyone's biology, the chief medical officer didn't know anything about Vulcans because they "don't talk about it" - probably not even to each other xD

So there are probably no check-ups either, or if there are people somehow manage to evade them for years when every person working in a kitchen would be suspended if they did that. Starfleet has more lax health requirements than Burger Queen.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Member Posts: 33,328 Arc User
    king...burger king...the only queen we have in fast food is dairy queen​​

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."

How Game Devs SHOULD be interacted with:
    http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/157238832062/i-remember-your-52080-rule-and-it-was-an-awesome

"Curiosity is bad! It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed...and more importantly, it makes you poor!"

"Beware of dog. Or possibly, enhanced, psycho-addicted, cybernetically-enhanced nightstalker death-dealing dog from hell."
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

Stand with Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! #TASforSTO
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 9,890 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Queens can be burgers too! #fastfoodfeminism
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,275 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »

That's a very cruel thing to do to a person.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 3,565 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »

That's a very cruel thing to do to a person.​​

Oh, I know.....fast food ~shudder~ Nasty stuff.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg