Install Arc
Options

So the New Klingons

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    yes, they are most certainly 'na'kuhl'

hurhurhur​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    trennan wrote: »
    Since this is about the new Klingons, seeing the talk about the show is nice. But lets take a loook at the history of how Klingons looked.

First up...
    1x7o2u.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Second...
    1x7o5u.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Third... During the Augment Virus
    1x7oa2.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

And
    1x7ocq.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Lastly...
    1x7ofn.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

The only species I have found that has some of the look of Discovery Klingons, is from Ent...
    1x7ojf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

So while Discovery can say, "This is how Klingons look." They can only say that for the time frame before TOS and the Augment Virus. Which the picture for the TOS With Ridges is from Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country.

But they all do have different ridges. Which we see in game, via the different ridges and nose ridges we can choose.

So the Discovery appearance is plausible. Though, hopefully, they will come up with a better reason as to why other than, "Because we said so." For instance, the genetic offshoot I mentioned is the most plausible. Since it also ties in with the different head and nose ridges we have. Some of which are named after Kahless and some Klingon Houses. This, then makes it possible for this genetic offshoot to still be present within our current timeline. But not as the standard appearance, instead it's would be more of a House appearance.

biggest problem is that the Discovery team added a pseudoscientific reason for the ridges-they're channels for some kind of special 'apex predator sense' that Klingons have and that works like magic.

There are other flaws to your concept as well-because it doesn't account for the double-nostrils (confirmed in the first scene of Discovery), the fortified and concealed 'ear hole cones' where Enterprise, TMP and TNG Klingons have pretty much normal humanoid ears, the protruding structure to the faces (not nose and forehead, but the angled flanges running from cheekbone to jaw, and around the jaw), and the hyper-pumped, fixed-scowl mouth prosthetics...and the teeth. Discovery klingons have ridged PLATES for teeth, instead of...y'know, teeth, which alters how their mouths work and function.

The ridging on TNG, TMP, Enterprise etc. Klingons had an existing purpose-they were extra reinforcement for the skulls of a race of aggressive hunters and warriors. Discovery's klingons have a skull that is MORE vulnerable, thanks to the lacework of added passages shown IN the skull pictures (Ep 3 and the ST:LV panel), making the forebrain more vulnerable, with a skull extension or 'dormer' built into the back of the Discovery Klingon's head, as well as additional, actuallly boney ridging along the rear of the skull. (making hte easiest way to kill one wiht a blunt strike being a punch to the face, while adding additional leverage for snapping their neck from behind, including a nice, textured gripping surface.)

further, as seen on screen, unlike familiar Klingon types from the previous properties, Discovery's klingons move slowly and awkwardly, they can't run, jump, twist rapidly or execute martial arts moves, this perhaps explains the reliance on heavy, plate type armors, since they also can't turn their heads the full range that a human can (MOST unlike TOS, TNG and TMP klingons), reducing their situational awareness and creating the need for this magic Apex Predator sense (which somehow ceases to work if they have hair, so the hair had to go.)

in short, they might be physically stronger in a deadlift, but that's a short lift, thanks to lack of range of motion, they can't chase prey down, they have to wait for it to come to them, (Unless it's REALLY slow)...

for a warrior race, they're pretty pathetic, really. observing other aspects of the "T'Kuvma" Klingons indicates they're not only not built to fight, but they also don't build to fight. The Discovery-era Bat'leth, for example, has no angle you can hold it where it isn't presenting the user with a sharpened blade aimed in their direction. Their Disruptors are laid out to be bulky, hard to aim, and have "Spikes, because spikes are AWSUM and Warrior-like!!" (but those spikes aren't arranged to be useful in melee combat, and would hinder a user in a multitude of ways), and the "Scaly ridge" motif on their daggers pretty much makes them impractical once there's blood or other fluids on the grip, since they're not easy to hold or control even when dry-way to go, warriors.

We actually SEE THIS in the first episode when Burnham accidentally causes the Torchbearer to stab himself with his own blade-because that's how the silly damn thing was designed!

That would explain why they didn't survive. But all that is still a genetic difference. If we look at it this way, taking that into account.

Then the Discovery Klingons, discovered they are not an "apex predator." Thus leading them into the field of genetic research, culminating in the Augment Virus. Which, produces the Klingons we see in TOS. Then progresses, with the cure of the augment virus, into the return of what in see in ENT, TNG, DS9, and Voy.

But that also leaves room for this type of klingon to appear in our current time. Albeit, seen as a ridge-less one, or albino. Their accepted, but they'd have to work hard to gain acknowledgement.

But, this is just to come up with a way for this appearance to appear in-game.

Personally, I wrote these klingons off when I saw the first picture of them. I read some of the explanation as to why they were so. But that only served to cause me to write them off completely. Which is why I haven't watched Discovery. After writing off they're bad guys as space trash. It kind of kills off any plot or story they may come up with for them, and the need to watch the show.

For this, I'm pushing my personal feelings aside, to help provide a plausible explanation for those that would like to see this appearance in-game.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    SFd2nwP.jpgtieTgJO.jpg

B52vOTa.jpg

nDYVVCB.jpg

q1GKRP3.jpg

I02HFzB.jpg

Z5xg2QB.jpg

CZYyeO9.jpg

T0Txgjx.jpg

Sliders here:

https://imgur.com/a/pF5Hc

There is also a link under each image where you can download the actual costume files. And since these files were created before the costume load bug, they should still be usable in game.

Ah ha... found it. I thank you!! And K'gan will thank you, too....if I can find all the options there.
    No I am not downloading files and fiddling...I can really mess stuff like that up.
    Don't ask how I know that..... I just know. LOL!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    BTW, for those (like me), who didn't see them before, here's what the Discovery Bat'leth looks like:
    startrek-discovery-exhibit-photo24.jpg

What the hell? No matter how he handles this thing, if a Klingon fights a stronger foe with it, all the foe has to do to win is pinning the Klingon against a wall and slowly pushing the 2 back spikes right into him.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I can't believe you don't recognize Vosk. We boarded his ship and fought him for crying out loud. Why do our Na'kuhl have red in their head, being multicolored.

It's the Spores. They will explain all.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    BTW, for those (like me), who didn't see them before, here's what the Discovery Bat'leth looks like:

What the hell? No matter how he handles this thing, if a Klingon fights a stronger foe with it, all the foe has to do to win is pinning the Klingon against a wall and slowly pushing the 2 back spikes right into him.

it's also not a maneuverable design=the gripping surfaces are all close tot he point of balance, making it a poor striking weapon with not only limited arc of swing, but limited striking power, and a poor slicing weapon due to the angle of grip and the presence of projections that limit axial motion.

The curvature, of course, ALSO makes it a poor stabbing weapon.

what it excels at, however, is being a weapon you can hurt yourself by handling. It's a pretty good example of the "Useless art knife" subtype, it doesn't even LOOK threatening. (except to the user)

In all honesty, a Bat'leth is an impossible weapon to begin with. Using the TNG kind as a template, the hand grip is so thin, as soon as you press it against a foe, it will simply rotate in your hand (so as to become flatly positioned to the object you're pressing against). There's simply no way to keep it steady. under pressure.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »

it's also not a maneuverable design=the gripping surfaces are all close tot he point of balance, making it a poor striking weapon with not only limited arc of swing, but limited striking power, and a poor slicing weapon due to the angle of grip and the presence of projections that limit axial motion.

what it excels at, however, is being a weapon you can hurt yourself by handling. It's a pretty good example of the "Useless art knife" subtype, it doesn't even LOOK threatening. (except to the user)

In all honesty, a Bat'leth is an impossible weapon to begin with. Using the TNG kind as a template, the hand grip is so thin, as soon as you press it against a foe, it will simply rotate in your hand (so as to become flatly positioned to the object you're pressing against). There's simply no way to keep it steady. under pressure.

This is what happens when you compare movie/tv show props to real weapons.

A bat'leth is not an impossible weapon. Fundmentally the bat'leth is a very sound melee weapon. The main problem that a human would have using it is the pure weight of it. If made right, using current methods, this weapon is going to weigh an easy 15-20 pounds minimum. This will require years of training to over come.

The use of it is same the same basic principal as the mek'leth, or sword. We'll use the most commonly, two-handed sword, claymore. One could use the broad sword or katana here, as they're both designed to be used one or two-handed. As we know these are straight bladed weapons. The bat'leth is not. But the stances are going to be generally the same.

The High Stance: Holding the weapon at head height or above the head.
    The Neutral Stance: Holding the weapon in front of you, generally at chest height.
    The Low Stance: Weapon held a t waist height. For a sword, this usually means the blade is pointed behind you.

The Bat'leth utilizes these stances very well. But the application of their use is different. Instead of swinging this weapon, you start at the center point of the weapon. Which a sword does not use. Which make the center point of a Bat'leth a fulcrum point. If you're leading out with your left hand, you'd be pulling back with your right hand.

Now if you look at the attack range of sword use. There are 9 directional attacks. The bat'leth the same. The straight forward thrust is replaced with the center of the blade, the knockback attack you do in game.

With that in mind, look at the handle design for a bat'leth. The most common setup is to have three hilts, or handles. This plays a part in the fulcrum point I mentioned. For this we'll stay simple. The Right Hilt(R), Middle Hilt(M), Left Hilt(L). The curved blade is designed to maximize attack and defense. The main premise here, is that the design allows you to defend and attack at the same time. What we have in game covers the very basics of this. But I digress here.

Now lets look at the the use. If you're holding a bat'leth, you're hands are on R and L. This is natural, it puts one hand on either side of the fulcrum point of the weapon. Thus, allowing you to attack or defend with the right, middle, or left of the weapon. But in this manner, due to the design of the weapon. Let's say you block an attack with the right end of the weapon. This opens up the use of the left end of the weapon for an attack on your opponent. This would be the standard use of a bat'leth.

Now, if you're holding it by say, L and M. You're positioned to put more of your attack power in to the right end of the weapon. The same applies to R and M position. This would be for your more powerful attacks or wider arc swings.

The middle handle by itself, would be used like you see in game, or as a carrying handle outside of combat.

Contrary to what you see in the show and in-game. The bat'leth is actually a very versatile and mobile weapon.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

All looks ceremonial to me. The "armor", the "weapons" and Torchbearer's "Environmental Suit".

I can not believe it is meant for anything but the pomp and circumstance of calling the High Council together and the lighting that Beacon of Kahless.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1 wrote: »

All looks ceremonial to me. The "armor", the "weapons" and Torchbearer's "Environmental Suit".

I can not believe it is meant for anything but the pomp and circumstance of calling the High Council together and the lighting that Beacon of Kahless.

which just goes to show these aren't warriors at all, a bit like how the flail turned into the royal scepter-but those sort of things don't develop in warrior cultures-they develop in cultures dominated by clerks and eunuchs, where personal confrontation, nevermind conflict, is avoided on a reflexive level and conflicts are more often resolved through machination and maneuvers within the power-structure. (The Opium Wars era chinese imperial court being a prime example, though the Chinese, at least, did not completely abandon the idea of their weapons being...well...weapons, expected to be both functional AND ceremonial)

The gear we see in eps 1 and 2 is neither practical, nor functional. Only a society deeply averse to physical confrontation would evolve such items for 'ceremonies'. The gear is deeply offensive to the warrior spirit, but appealing to the bureaucratic coward spirit, as it 'looks kewl' but can serve no purpose for which a weapon would be designed (except ritual suicide).

I don't know. It looks like it might be useful as a gekli fishing hook.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

it's a stylized chopping/slicing weapon, but it can be used.

mind you, not particularly well, but the basic form of the weapon is derived from an existing historical weapon (unlike Discovery's effort).

while the actual cutting edges are short and the grips relatively long, and the weapon is, make no mistake, awkward as hell, you can at LEAST handle it without injuring yourself against another opponent (as in it being possible to do so), which is not true of the impractical art-knife style cooked up by the propmasters for ST:D.

I'm still not sold on it's usability at all. Imagine holding a Bat'leth in front of you, with both hands (horizontally). Now walk up to a metal wall, and strongly push the Bat'leth against it, with all your might. You're not going to penetrate the steel wall (obviousy); but what WILL happen, is that your Bat'leth will find the path of least resisistence, and tumble either up or down inside your hands, so you'll wind up hurting your knuckles when they hit that wall. If the grips were vertical (on a horizontally held Bat'leth), you could prevent that; but the grips are horizontal too, so you have no recourse against the roll (at that point, it works as a lever against you). My point being, when you see Klingons fight, with outstretched Bat'leths clashing each other, that's not realistic: at least one of the Bat'leths would tumble, the way I described.

Now, you can swing a Bat'leth, and do some serious damage; but for forward thrust, you simply need vertical handles (relative to a horizontally held Bat'leth).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Since this is about the new Klingons, seeing the talk about the show is nice. But lets take a loook at the history of how Klingons looked.

First up...

Second...

And

Lastly...

The only species I have found that has some of the look of Discovery Klingons, is from Ent...

So while Discovery can say, "This is how Klingons look." They can only say that for the time frame before TOS and the Augment Virus. Which the picture for the TOS With Ridges is from Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country.

But they all do have different ridges. Which we see in game, via the different ridges and nose ridges we can choose.

So the Discovery appearance is plausible. Though, hopefully, they will come up with a better reason as to why other than, "Because we said so." For instance, the genetic offshoot I mentioned is the most plausible. Since it also ties in with the different head and nose ridges we have. Some of which are named after Kahless and some Klingon Houses. This, then makes it possible for this genetic offshoot to still be present within our current timeline. But not as the standard appearance, instead it's would be more of a House appearance.

biggest problem is that the Discovery team added a pseudoscientific reason for the ridges-they're channels for some kind of special 'apex predator sense' that Klingons have and that works like magic.

There are other flaws to your concept as well-because it doesn't account for the double-nostrils (confirmed in the first scene of Discovery), the fortified and concealed 'ear hole cones' where Enterprise, TMP and TNG Klingons have pretty much normal humanoid ears, the protruding structure to the faces (not nose and forehead, but the angled flanges running from cheekbone to jaw, and around the jaw), and the hyper-pumped, fixed-scowl mouth prosthetics...and the teeth. Discovery klingons have ridged PLATES for teeth, instead of...y'know, teeth, which alters how their mouths work and function.

The ridging on TNG, TMP, Enterprise etc. Klingons had an existing purpose-they were extra reinforcement for the skulls of a race of aggressive hunters and warriors. Discovery's klingons have a skull that is MORE vulnerable, thanks to the lacework of added passages shown IN the skull pictures (Ep 3 and the ST:LV panel), making the forebrain more vulnerable, with a skull extension or 'dormer' built into the back of the Discovery Klingon's head, as well as additional, actuallly boney ridging along the rear of the skull. (making hte easiest way to kill one wiht a blunt strike being a punch to the face, while adding additional leverage for snapping their neck from behind, including a nice, textured gripping surface.)

further, as seen on screen, unlike familiar Klingon types from the previous properties, Discovery's klingons move slowly and awkwardly, they can't run, jump, twist rapidly or execute martial arts moves, this perhaps explains the reliance on heavy, plate type armors, since they also can't turn their heads the full range that a human can (MOST unlike TOS, TNG and TMP klingons), reducing their situational awareness and creating the need for this magic Apex Predator sense (which somehow ceases to work if they have hair, so the hair had to go.)

in short, they might be physically stronger in a deadlift, but that's a short lift, thanks to lack of range of motion, they can't chase prey down, they have to wait for it to come to them, (Unless it's REALLY slow)...

for a warrior race, they're pretty pathetic, really. observing other aspects of the "T'Kuvma" Klingons indicates they're not only not built to fight, but they also don't build to fight. The Discovery-era Bat'leth, for example, has no angle you can hold it where it isn't presenting the user with a sharpened blade aimed in their direction. Their Disruptors are laid out to be bulky, hard to aim, and have "Spikes, because spikes are AWSUM and Warrior-like!!" (but those spikes aren't arranged to be useful in melee combat, and would hinder a user in a multitude of ways), and the "Scaly ridge" motif on their daggers pretty much makes them impractical once there's blood or other fluids on the grip, since they're not easy to hold or control even when dry-way to go, warriors.

We actually SEE THIS in the first episode when Burnham accidentally causes the Torchbearer to stab himself with his own blade-because that's how the silly damn thing was designed!

That would explain why they didn't survive. But all that is still a genetic difference. If we look at it this way, taking that into account.

Then the Discovery Klingons, discovered they are not an "apex predator." Thus leading them into the field of genetic research, culminating in the Augment Virus. Which, produces the Klingons we see in TOS. Then progresses, with the cure of the augment virus, into the return of what in see in ENT, TNG, DS9, and Voy.

But that also leaves room for this type of klingon to appear in our current time. Albeit, seen as a ridge-less one, or albino. Their accepted, but they'd have to work hard to gain acknowledgement.

Personally, I wrote these klingons off when I saw the first picture of them. I read some of the explanation as to why they were so. But that only served to cause me to write them off completely. Which is why I haven't watched Discovery. After writing off they're bad guys as space trash. It kind of kills off any plot or story they may come up with for them, and the need to watch the show.

For this, I'm pushing my personal feelings aside, to help provide a plausible explanation for those that would like to see this appearance in-game.

FYI the Klingons in Enterprise are like those in the TOS films and all of TNG and Enterprise takes place well before TRIBBLE. The Augement Virus happened during Enterprise's time and again well before TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

First up...

Second...

And

Lastly...

FYI the Klingons in Enterprise are like those in the TOS films and all of TNG and Enterprise takes place well before TRIBBLE. The Augement Virus happened during Enterprise's time and again well before TRIBBLE.

That's good to know. And it also lends more credit to the differences in appearances. With it being a re-occurring thing, up until it's cure in TOS.

The armor and weapons however. Yeah.. we can just toss those out the airlock and forget they even existed.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    1x7ojf.jpg
    I really don't see any resemblance between Na'khul and Discovery's Klingons...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    1x7ojf.jpg

Clean up the cheeks, well smooth the point off, harden the eyebrow a bit and add the forehead ridges. Increase the nose bridge protrusion and add the ridges. Then just give them big lips and flatten the exterior of the ear.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    and remove the demon eyes​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

Right! Forgot that part. Thanks!
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User

I see a couple of forehead folds. I'm going to say those are baby Klingon ridges. Just a couple of wee bumps, sprouting and making themselves known.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    1x7ojf.jpg

Clean up the cheeks, well smooth the point off, harden the eyebrow a bit and add the forehead ridges. Increase the nose bridge protrusion and add the ridges. Then just give them big lips and flatten the exterior of the ear.

Hmm... we may be on to something here. Could it be that the Discovery Klingons are acutally surgically altered Nah'kul?

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »

I see a couple of forehead folds. I'm going to say those are baby Klingon ridges. Just a couple of wee bumps, sprouting and making themselves known.

Yeah I noticed this myself. Especially with the shading for the one in the background. There's definitely some ridges starting to show there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    Hmm... we may be on to something here. Could it be that the Discovery Klingons are acutally surgically altered Nah'kul?

Or the Discovery Klingons were the original Na'kuhl.

• Options
    hawku001x wrote: »

Or the Discovery Klingons were the original Na'kuhl.

1x8ft4.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    1x7ojf.jpg
    In other words... change everything and then they look the same? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    istanbulkopistanbulkop Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    The only thing that bothers me about the Klingons in discovery is the lack of hair. Putting it down to the no hair look being fashionable for Klingons in this 'specific' time period. By TOS, they had it short, and by the movies and TNG...it was a long look. Ridges have been explained, but you'd obviously expect some Klingons to be ridgeless during Discovery too.