test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So the New Klingons

Comments

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I find their design a little racist tbh.

They look like scaly gorillas and Black Face gone wrong.

Only reason I thought this is because they themselves went out of their way to bring in that one "white" Klingon in to show how inclusive they were and how things would be if roles were reversed in real life.
    You know, "white privilege" and "Black Oppression"...

So I just found it terribly distasteful that they decided to make their "Black" representatives look like scaly apes.
    Monkeys and apes have been used in the past to show a Stereotypical racist interpretation of black people. Big noses, big lips, big brow line.. the new Klingon design has all the hallmarks of racist interpretation.

Way to be progressive TRIBBLE. smh.

I have to admit. I didn't even think of this. But you do have a valid point.

patrickngo wrote: »
    I find their design a little racist tbh.

They look like scaly gorillas and Black Face gone wrong.

Only reason I thought this is because they themselves went out of their way to bring in that one "white" Klingon in to show how inclusive they were and how things would be if roles were reversed in real life.
    You know, "white privilege" and "Black Oppression"...

So I just found it terribly distasteful that they decided to make their "Black" representatives look like scaly apes.
    Monkeys and apes have been used in the past to show a Stereotypical racist interpretation of black people. Big noses, big lips, big brow line.. the new Klingon design has all the hallmarks of racist interpretation.

Way to be progressive TRIBBLE. smh.

come to think of it, you're right. The design is definitely point for point designed to scare closeted racist white people-you know,t he ones who make a deal about supporting 'Black lives matter' but wouldn't invite one over to their house for dinner unless they're a rich television, sports, or music figure.

perhaps the design is closeted racism? or maybe emotional projection?

It could be both. Star Trek does have a pretty firm foundation in portraying the beliefs of the writer. TOS being the primary example.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Check Doctor Who through the 54 years and explain the Cybermen.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    So can you tell me the woman's name?
    Shirley Temple
    But could you do that simply looking at the first pic? :p If so, you're better at this than most people.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    They look like they went 2 rounds with Mike Tyson, fell face first into some plaster and then stole clothes from Lost in space.

Just a sec, have to serve this customer, what it be, Hairy?

Shirley Temple

Oh, your a big wolffie now, you can handle a Fuzzy Navel.

Why are you looking at my fuzzy navel? :flushed:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    So can you tell me the woman's name?
    Shirley Temple
    But could you do that simply looking at the first pic? :p If so, you're better at this than most people.

Actually, yes, I did. :)
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Why are you looking at my fuzzy navel? :flushed:

the same reason everyone keeps looking at his scaly hide - neither one of you know how to wear pants!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    SFd2nwP.jpgtieTgJO.jpg

B52vOTa.jpg

nDYVVCB.jpg

q1GKRP3.jpg

I02HFzB.jpg

Z5xg2QB.jpg

CZYyeO9.jpg

T0Txgjx.jpg

Sliders here:

https://imgur.com/a/pF5Hc

There is also a link under each image where you can download the actual costume files. And since these files were created before the costume load bug, they should still be usable in game.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

That's simple, they keep upgrading themselves. They constantly are modifying themselves, even within some episodes you can find different variations.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    Budgets as well. Cheaper to wrap Cybermen in gauze than come up with elaborate metallic costumes. TOS Klingons, greasepaint and Snidely Whiplash mustaches are a cheap way out.

Klingons keep scr*wing around with themselves too.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Yikes! Ok, @patrickngo , let's dial it back a bit. I know you're passionate about the subject, but yeesh! :grimace:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Budgets as well. Cheaper to wrap Cybermen in gauze than come up with elaborate metallic costumes. TOS Klingons, greasepaint and Snidely Whiplash mustaches are a cheap way out.

it's a LOT easier to design a n ew attachment for a robot, than to survive full-body gene-line level reconstruction every decade or so as fashions change. Secondly, (and thanks @Trennan for pointing this out), the Cybermen never adopted a stack of insulting stereotypes from the real world as their 'look'.

ST:D's "Klingons" are like a walking stereotype of the worst excesses of Jim Crow and the 'blackface' era in Hollywood, the only part missing is the Afro to make them something you'd expect a white supremacist to come up with as an 'Enemy Alien'.

which kinda suggests the mentality of the showrunners, either they secretly subscribe to those stereotypes and this is w hat they think of as 'Alien and scary' or they think their audience does. I can't really determine which is worse, tbh, which is more insulting or more counter to the spirit of Trek.

I agree with your views on the Klingons. But Cybermen? No offense, but cybermen are as cliche as it gets; they look like how a 5-year-old would draw a robot. Even their name, cybermen, is as unimaginative and generic as can be.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    We are talking about a show that started out as a children's show that premiered the day after President Kennedy was assassinated.

That was unexpected.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    what, doctor who? i thought it was a lot older than the mid-60s​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    November 23rd 1963.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

it's a LOT easier to design a n ew attachment for a robot, than to survive full-body gene-line level reconstruction every decade or so as fashions change. Secondly, (and thanks @Trennan for pointing this out), the Cybermen never adopted a stack of insulting stereotypes from the real world as their 'look'.

ST:D's "Klingons" are like a walking stereotype of the worst excesses of Jim Crow and the 'blackface' era in Hollywood, the only part missing is the Afro to make them something you'd expect a white supremacist to come up with as an 'Enemy Alien'.

which kinda suggests the mentality of the showrunners, either they secretly subscribe to those stereotypes and this is w hat they think of as 'Alien and scary' or they think their audience does. I can't really determine which is worse, tbh, which is more insulting or more counter to the spirit of Trek.

I agree with your views on the Klingons. But Cybermen? No offense, but cybermen are as cliche as it gets; they look like how a 5-year-old would draw a robot. Even their name, cybermen, is as unimaginative and generic as can be.

and yet...they work.

You can have an antagonist species called the "Poodlefruffles" dressed in tutus and combat helmets, but if they're scripted, directed and acted well enough, they end up working anyway.

From 1963 to 1988 or so, Doctor Who's special effects budget was less than most hollywood outfits spend on coffee for the producer. (about five thousand dollars, according to most sources) per year.

And that's why Doctor Who is forgiven. :) The British just don't seem to have the kind of budgets Hollywood does. Blake 7, for instance, was awful in the props department (you could literally see the cardboard wall and seams, LOL), but was a very well written SciFi show.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,392 Arc User
    Speaking of Doctor Who, could you imagine if they decided to completely change the design of the Daleks? After all, how can these things be considered scary and dreaded in 2017?

"Let's replace those weird ball patterns on the shell and replace them with serrated spikes! Give them a scary holographic face because showing emotions without a face is too hard! And remove that bloody eyestalk, it's has-been, give them CGI tentacle-like clawed arms! And have Kim Cardassian voice them! And replace their catchphrase by "I disagree with you!".
    We're so modern! Change without reason other than showing off the budget is always good! And if you disagree, you're an old-fashioned, modernity-rejecting fanboy jerk!"

Could you imagine the British (and also the rest of the world) rage at even one of those changes?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Oh they've made LOTS of changes to Daleks over the last few years! Like how the shell opens to reveal a brain thingy inside....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of Doctor Who, could you imagine if they decided to completely change the design of the Daleks? After all, how can these things be considered scary and dreaded in 2017?

"Let's replace those weird ball patterns on the shell and replace them with serrated spikes! Give them a scary holographic face because showing emotions without a face is too hard! And remove that bloody eyestalk, it's has-been, give them CGI tentacle-like clawed arms! And have Kim Cardassian voice them! And replace their catchphrase by "I disagree with you!".
    We're so modern! Change without reason other than showing off the budget is always good! And if you disagree, you're an old-fashioned, modernity-rejecting fanboy jerk!"

Could you imagine the British (and also the rest of the world) rage at even one of those changes?

Haha! Yes, those Daleks! :) That's what makes Doctor Who so delightful! The Daleks looks really crappy, but it's lore/

Which, I suppose is what you meant to say, is why they should not have messed with the Klingons the way TRIBBLE did.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    There is only one answer to the new (old) Klingons - EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!! EXTERMINATE!!
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    well, see, it's a perfect example of "Special Effects P*rn"-that is, **** level writing, acting and direction,but with movie-theater (or in this case, IMAX) levels of special effects.
    There has only been 3 episodes of Star Trek: Discovery. The show does not meet my expectations, but the writing is not terrible. The 2 part pilot was kinda "meh", but it set up the backdrop for the season. The 3rd episode (the 2nd pilot, as the creators call it) has some interesting ideas, like the Spore Drive(tm).

It's not to my taste, but it is not creatively bankrupt either. I'm sure it will continue to flesh out characters and introduce new ideas.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    They could have put the entire first two episodes and the third in a 43 minute period and had room for adverts.
    Conceptually, I agree with you as far as the story telling. However, I think the longer episodes are necessary for the context, the heavy drama, that the creators want Star Trek: Discovery to achieve. An atmosphere reminiscent of Game of Thrones.
    IMHO, it's entirely creatively bankrupt. the lead character is a marysue, the other members of the cast are at best two dimensional, the main antagonists are generic pop-up baddies that only work in publicity stills, the 'scientific basis' of their fungus-super-drive has no even theoretical basis in science (Warp drive has at least got Alcubierre-White, this is more like Protoculture from Robotech).

in short, it's all-hat, no-cattle. It struggles to reach mediocrity, which is kinda forgiveable if you don't have high-end writers, a-list stars, and hundreds of millions of dollars of budget to work with...but when you have the budget, and talent pool, that ST:D does, and you turn out product as bad as the first two episodes, you have no excuses left.
    It's not to my taste, but we'll have to disagree on some of these points. The Discovery-era Klingons are underwhelming. I'm not sure Burnham is a Mary Sue, as she has not really shown much expertise in the field of "xeno studies". The pilot episodes in particular get cringy when the "expert" has to call her dad about aliens we saw her learning about in school.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Since this is about the new Klingons, seeing the talk about the show is nice. But lets take a loook at the history of how Klingons looked.

First up...
    1x7o2u.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Second...
    1x7o5u.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Third... During the Augment Virus
    1x7oa2.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

And
    1x7ocq.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Lastly...
    1x7ofn.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

The only species I have found that has some of the look of Discovery Klingons, is from Ent...
    1x7ojf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

So while Discovery can say, "This is how Klingons look." They can only say that for the time frame before TOS and the Augment Virus. Which the picture for the TOS With Ridges is from Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country.

But they all do have different ridges. Which we see in game, via the different ridges and nose ridges we can choose.

So the Discovery appearance is plausible. Though, hopefully, they will come up with a better reason as to why other than, "Because we said so." For instance, the genetic offshoot I mentioned is the most plausible. Since it also ties in with the different head and nose ridges we have. Some of which are named after Kahless and some Klingon Houses. This, then makes it possible for this genetic offshoot to still be present within our current timeline. But not as the standard appearance, instead it's would be more of a House appearance.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    sisteric wrote: »

That's simple, they keep upgrading themselves. They constantly are modifying themselves, even within some episodes you can find different variations.

There are different origins to the Cybermen. The Cybermen before the Ninth Doctor and the most recent season finale were all Mondasan Cybermen. The Cybermen that appeared between the Ninth Doctor to the Twelfth Doctor are from a parallel universe or some other origin.

The Borg are supposed to be constantly upgrading themselves and all we saw is the standard Borg and Borg Cube with one instance of a "29th Century Borg". Cybermen had far more development in 54 years than the Borg had in 30 years and both share the same methodology and beliefs. Obviously there are some differences like the Borg are not in constant pain, but both try to upgrade unwilling victims and try to upgrade themselves.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    sisteric wrote: »

There are different origins to the Cybermen. The Cybermen before the Ninth Doctor and the most recent season finale were all Mondasan Cybermen. The Cybermen that appeared between the Ninth Doctor to the Twelfth Doctor are from a parallel universe or some other origin.

The Borg are supposed to be constantly upgrading themselves and all we saw is the standard Borg and Borg Cube with one instance of a "29th Century Borg". Cybermen had far more development in 54 years than the Borg had in 30 years and both share the same methodology and beliefs. Obviously there are some differences like the Borg are not in constant pain, but both try to upgrade unwilling victims and try to upgrade themselves.
    trennan wrote: »
    The only species I have found that has some of the look of Discovery Klingons, is from Ent...
    1x7ojf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

So the Discovery Klingons are Na'kuhl?