What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Your thoughts on TRIBBLE

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    But what I really hated was that they turned one of Star Trek's most recognizable and best established races into blue/purple skinned, hairless, religious fanatics with fancy old-Egyptian armor.

it's not egyptian, it's drow lolth priestess​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mickcasanovamickcasanova Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I thought TRIBBLE was just that. An TRIBBLE.. Garbage. JJ has no more business messing up Star Trek than Burton had **** up Batman. The Klingon's looked awful, and spoke as though they had a mouth full of marbles. Just bad. The uniforms were more style than function, and looked like a bad art decco experiment. While I managed to get through the first one, I lasted 30 seconds into the second before I just had to turn it off. It was that bad. It was apparent to me that JJ was relaying on visuals rather than story. Frankly, I thought his vision was ridiculously boring.

JJ's vision is far from what we've grown to expect. I don't predict this will last very long. There's certainly no way I would ever pay to watch this garbage. I couldn't stand his movies, and I certainly can't stand this. Good luck with this whale of a fail CBS.

hey, don't blame JJ for this, it was Brian Fuller- Star Trek Discovery made JJ's Trek look like shakespeare by comparison.

Then Fuller should be banned from ever creating another show. This was just horrid to watch.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Where No One Has Gone Before, Home Soil, and We'll always have Paris I quite liked.

Even the writers, producers, directors and actors all consider TNG seasons 1 and 2 to be of lower quality. Just watch any documentary about making the show. Ron Moore went so far as to say if season 3 had continued along the same lines, the show wouldn't have lasted to season 4.

There's many stories in the first 2 seasons I liked.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Just saw a sneak peek of TRIBBLE Andorians coming up soon

I2c7DR1.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I thought TRIBBLE was just that. An TRIBBLE.. Garbage. JJ has no more business messing up Star Trek than Burton had **** up Batman. The Klingon's looked awful, and spoke as though they had a mouth full of marbles. Just bad. The uniforms were more style than function, and looked like a bad art decco experiment. While I managed to get through the first one, I lasted 30 seconds into the second before I just had to turn it off. It was that bad. It was apparent to me that JJ was relaying on visuals rather than story. Frankly, I thought his vision was ridiculously boring.

JJ's vision is far from what we've grown to expect. I don't predict this will last very long. There's certainly no way I would ever pay to watch this garbage. I couldn't stand his movies, and I certainly can't stand this. Good luck with this whale of a fail CBS.

JJAbrams had no involvement in this project at all. I don't like to dismiss someone out of hand but this comment unofrtunately fits squarely into that point that you don't have a hand or foot to stand on. JJTrek remains with the films. As for the Klingons, everyone hates change that is perfectly natural for people to hate from a purist point.
    Then Fuller should be banned from ever creating another show. This was just horrid to watch.

You are entitled to the position that you don't like Discovery, but wishing someone to be fired or banned from something is not nice. Besides that Fuller left the series before it aired anyway, there was some internal politics going on with CBS regarding the direction of Discovery.

Also one other thing Fuller wrote two of the better episodes on Deep Space 9 and was involved heavily in Voyager, he had the unique position of doing something his way, now while the pilot episodes may not of been to everyones tastes, including yours, thats like making a judgement about a book cover and not the content.

All i am suggesting is consider taking some of your hate and throw it aside long enough to try to appreciate this new series and i speak fom experience on the subject. I had an intense hatred for JJTrek, but i don't any more because i threw the hate aside and realised how much trouble it really is to hate for so long with such little reason for it. I watched the films and i realised how stupid i was to hate something for so long just judging it from first impressions.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Just watched it on prime time tv....uhhhh man...... If it continues like the first episode this will be a mini-series that lasts about a month. A real face-off with a Klingon would not have gone anything remotely close to this.... despite the story they are trying to portray here.... Watching this episode was like watching the first 20 minutes of Inglorious ****....

Aside from an assault already against her superior officer and a mutiny attempt.... I don't see how I could take much more of this series very seriously when compared to traditional Star Trek series.

The visuals are great.... and hoping this series is more true to sci-fi and not some modern day drama show with a linear approach.

Going to take time to adjust to the new Klingon "look".... but so far they seem to be on the right track with their race and culture by the dialogue and actions thus far...

Crossing my fingers here.... can't judge it all by one episode... but so far it has some major events that have already rubbed me the wrong way.

I've watched the 2 episodes twice and I don't think I will ever watch them again. Badly written, full of plot holes, inconsistencies and of course no respect to canon. There is one instance in particular that my 12 year old son thought made no sense: no one has seen the Klingons in 100 years but then 30 seconds later we hear that Suckander Burnham's actions are influenced by the fact that her parents were killed by Klingons. So I guess she is over 100 years old. And so much lens flares, angles, fire in space (really?) and Klingons who speak about honour but then after agreeing to a cease fire do a sneak attack? But the one thing that killed my was the booby trapped Klingon body. We don't fire first but we have no problem placing a photon torpedo inside a body after? And that after the battle was over? I really really really hate the main character. Not likeable at all. The science officer was the only thing that felt Star Trek. The trial at the end was very badly done. It felt like a Tal'Shiar interrogation room. As much as I want to like Star Trek )been watching it since the last 60's) there was no Star Trek (expect Sa'ru and the credits)...
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    swamarian wrote: »
    daan2006 wrote: »
    Better to accept it as JJ Trek than prime universe. New Klingon armor reminds me of the reptilian Xindi armor. I agree with ssbn655 comments about the Klingon makeup and the Batleth.

The armor's obviously ceremonial armor. I wouldn't expect anyone outside whatever cult these Klingons belong to have that armor.

But the members of the High Council we did see had similar looking armour. I was hoping they would be different. If the lady from House D'egroth (sp?) had hair she would have looked Klingon. The guy from House Mokai looked the Drac from Enemy Mine.

Also when we see the young T'Kuvma we see that even children are wearing these ugly amour sets.
    Post edited by trygvar13 on
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    fires are plenty capable of burning in space as long as they're being fed a constant stream of oxygen - which is what you get with hull breaches and why you see fires constantly burning around them

and plasma-based fires don't require oxygen to burn at all​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    A real face-off with a Klingon would not have gone anything remotely close to this....
    Define "real."

Klingon decloaks behind you, fires some torps and disruptors. You blow up and the Klingons toast their epic victory with made up battle stories. :D

But a Klingon ship sitting there doing nothing and waiting for reinforcements before attacking ONE ship?!?! Yeah, that's a 'real' Klingon.
    But who is the arbiter for determining what a "real" Klingon attack is? Truth be told, both episodes were fantastic. They're definitely on the right track here.

You can't be serious?! Pulls out Troll detector.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    .... fire in space (really?)...

I take it you've never seen a Star Trek episode or film before?

Yeah this is one thing literally every SciFi show/movie does, I just makeup my own explanation that venting atmosphere is providing the necessary oxygen. Whether or not that's a scientifically sound explanation I have no idea, but it makes it easier for me to ignore :)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mez83 wrote: »
    Very bad, that's why you use protection...

... Oh, your talking about the new show aren't you. I've only seen the first episode but I have to question some of the artistic choices. The "klingons" are covered in so much makeup that you don't see any emotion. Are they angry, sad. I can't tell. I might check out the second episode if I can get a free trial or something.

And the Klingon they speak sounds so bad with those teeth and noses. It's way too muffled.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    reemus#2383 reemus Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    A real face-off with a Klingon would not have gone anything remotely close to this....
    Define "real."

Klingon decloaks behind you, fires some torps and disruptors. You blow up and the Klingons toast their epic victory with made up battle stories. :D

But a Klingon ship sitting there doing nothing and waiting for reinforcements before attacking ONE ship?!?! Yeah, that's a 'real' Klingon.
    But who is the arbiter for determining what a "real" Klingon attack is? Truth be told, both episodes were fantastic. They're definitely on the right track here.

Right? I didn't even want to respond....or explain.. It should have be interpreted naturally as to its meaning.
  • Options

Probably the same folks who cheered when '09 trek made it dark, gritty and self loathing. ~shrugs~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

Actually it could also mean record low. :)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    too early to determine anything, but it feels as if Orville is more TNG and focused on political and social commentary than Discovery so far. Discovery has started off as a Scifi action series, while Orville focuses more on the characters and their personal struggles.
    I like them both so far, although they are very different at this point.

If the visuals are too much of an irritation, you'd be adviced to stay away from Discovery. It still looks like Star Trek, but the connection to the period it is supposed to be set in is completely missing. Not even the sound effects can make up for the visual departure from canon.
    However, If this would have been set somewhere in the 25th century, and those were not Klingons, I would say that this two Episodes were the beginning of a great new Star Trek series with a new big TRIBBLE baddy race. Hell, I'd even be ok with them being "ancient" klingons, who took over Qo'nos and went to war with the Federation just for the sake of a good fight. A fundamentalist take-over of the klingon empire by their own "klingon" taliban. I mean that's what it basically tries to represent. Only thing that doesn't work for me is the time period in which it is set.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    So what are your thoughts on seeing your first TRIBBLE tonight? I know the show just started so this is for after.

@badmoonrisin, This should be moved to 10Forward...should not be in these section of the forums?​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    TRIBBLE is a proper name for sure. Not touching this SJW-fest with a 10 foot pole.
  • Options
    crazyned1066crazyned1066 Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    The show seems interesting and holds my interest, but it doesn't FEEL at all like Star Trek to me. It seems like a totally new Sci-Fi series that just happens to have a few names in common...

I understand these are new times and new audiences, but it's a really big departure from what the existing fan base has experienced.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Define "real."

Serious about what? That Klingons aren't real? Or that I liked Discovery? Neither of these things can be considered trolling.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »

I feel that those of us who liked Discovery are liable to find ourselves in the minorty. It seems like there are numerous people who have decided they hate Discovery (many of them decided months ago). And the worst thing is the dislike/hatred seems to be, for the most part, a by product of it not conforming to what THEY think Trek should be.

So far, it seems to be Trek in name only.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    But none of the other pilots laid out the entire rest of the series and what's to come like Discovery has already done.

I've been thinking about this one. I think it's easy at this point to get a sense for where this show is going because it didn't have the same breadth of characters or depth in their motivations and backstory. It's about Burnam and her direct parallels through the Discovery universe. That might make for a strong single character arc, but it simplifies the human experience to say that we're all dealing with broadly the same thing (personal identity against the backdrop of personal loss and race/species/group identity.)

In that sense, Discovery so far could be likened pre-Trek sci-fi serial (ie. Flash Gordon) than a continuation of Trek (an expansive yet approachable perspective piece.) It's moving the universe along according to the actions and relationships of a very precisely calibrated central character. It might be compelling, but that doesn't distinguish it from background sci-fi (it's more or less the entry point on getting any series off the ground.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!