test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Strategema
    Funny thing to note, most of Discoveries bridge crew is played by Canadians. Detmer, Joann Owosekun, Airiam (who is actually a human cyborg), Commander Nhan, Gen Rhys, R.A. Bryce. In fact almost all of the Bridge crew aside from Pike, Burnham, Saru, and Tilly are Canadian. Of course we know almost nothing about these characters, even though they are senior bridge officers.

These would all be the characters who get the lions share of character development on a normal Star Trek, instead most of it goes to temp characters, or Statmets, Tilly, Saru, and Burnham.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I just watched the two recent episodes- Holy. Squealing. OINK.

Please, whoever is doing this, keep the oinking camera fixed! I do not have motion sickness, but I got nauseous watching the third episode. Every single scene began with the camera tilted or overhead, spinning around. This is not good. Also, Stop pushing the camera in every bridge officer's face, I like to SEE THINGS. This was very, very irritating.

Aside from that, the third episode of the second season might have been the worst episode in the entire series so far. In my opinion, everything in it was terrible. Lighting is way too dark, the sound is weird - I can't see or understand the actors half the time, and L'Rell's super dumb rubber mask doesn't help. Why can I understand Saru crystal clear (if he's not too silent), but L'Rell speaks as if she's holding a hot potato in her mouth. This is terrible. Event wise, the Klingon coup was really badly executed and S31 introduction was as hammy as it could get. I kind of see where they go with the unification, but the Klingon cult mother was too much. I hate DSCs take on Klingon society, hair or not, it's terrible.

The fourth episode was slightly better, but Tilly annoys me, the "My species has a expiration date" mechanic of Saru was boring and SQUEALING OINK, STOP SAYING 'SPOCK'. I made a riffing game with my wife and we had so much fun dubbing every scene over, just repeating the lines people said but replacing every second word with 'Spock'. It's ridiculous. "We got Spock on the Spock sensors. Red Spock! Set torpedoes to Spock! Full Spock ahead!" The side story was kind of interesting, but I agree with @artan42 in the other thread here, the "Red Angels" or "Where is Spock" really doesn't interest me. They did that. They made me not care about Spock.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2019

I came across them on Reddit last week. I love captioned recaps like that. I read a whole bunch for Agents of Shield but unfortunately the author dropped of the face of the Earth.

Some very useful captions...
    5SFvh5V.jpg

When people write stupidly long posts of their own headcanon to 'correct' something in an episode...

Profanity redacted. -- WingedHussar

Edit: Wow, fragile mods. I've seen worse language in the show itself. ​​
    Post edited by artan42 on
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Strategema
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-albino-klingon-deep-space-nine/

Could the son of Voq be THE ALBINO ? The legendary foe of Kang, Koloth, Kor, and Dax?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    of course it will be, because discovery​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Strategema
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > of course it will be, because discovery​​

What do you mean by that?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-albino-klingon-deep-space-nine/

Could the son of Voq be THE ALBINO ? The legendary foe of Kang, Koloth, Kor, and Dax?

The only connection that Voq's son has with the Albino is skin color. While it is likely an extremely rare skin condition for Klingons, there is always the possibility of other albino Klingons. So it is possible that Voq's son is the Albino since we don't know where the Albino came from. A more likely scenario is that Voq's son is one of the people in charge of cloning Kahless due to Tyler sending his son to the Boreth Monastery to be a monk.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I just watched the two recent episodes- Holy. Squealing. OINK.

Please, whoever is doing this, keep the oinking camera fixed! I do not have motion sickness, but I got nauseous watching the third episode. Every single scene began with the camera tilted or overhead, spinning around. This is not good. Also, Stop pushing the camera in every bridge officer's face, I like to SEE THINGS. This was very, very irritating.

Aside from that, the third episode of the second season might have been the worst episode in the entire series so far. In my opinion, everything in it was terrible. Lighting is way too dark, the sound is weird - I can't see or understand the actors half the time, and L'Rell's super dumb rubber mask doesn't help. Why can I understand Saru crystal clear (if he's not too silent), but L'Rell speaks as if she's holding a hot potato in her mouth. This is terrible. Event wise, the Klingon coup was really badly executed and S31 introduction was as hammy as it could get. I kind of see where they go with the unification, but the Klingon cult mother was too much. I hate DSCs take on Klingon society, hair or not, it's terrible.

The fourth episode was slightly better, but Tilly annoys me, the "My species has a expiration date" mechanic of Saru was boring and SQUEALING OINK, STOP SAYING 'SPOCK'. I made a riffing game with my wife and we had so much fun dubbing every scene over, just repeating the lines people said but replacing every second word with 'Spock'. It's ridiculous. "We got Spock on the Spock sensors. Red Spock! Set torpedoes to Spock! Full Spock ahead!" The side story was kind of interesting, but I agree with @artan42 in the other thread here, the "Red Angels" or "Where is Spock" really doesn't interest me. They did that. They made me not care about Spock.​​

The 3rd episode camera work was really excessive, totally agree with that. I don't really keep track of who's directing the episodes, unless it's a Star Trek alumni like Frakes (Episode 2 this season for example), but it might be worth checking out if this is repeated. Not sure what I'd do about it, but maybe at least some forewarning helps. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    >
    >
    > The 3rd episode camera work was really excessive, totally agree with that. I don't really keep track of who's directing the episodes, unless it's a Star Trek alumni like Frakes (Episode 2 this season for example), but it might be worth checking out if this is repeated. Not sure what I'd do about it, but maybe at least some forewarning helps. ;)

It was just so unnecessary. If they use it one time for a spectacular scene okay, but every boring dialogue was introduced upside down. It was horrible and it seems like I am overexaggerating, but I literally through my hooves in the air and said "Stop it!" because I couldn't take it any more 😄😒

Aside from that, I'd like to correct my assesment for Saru's expiration date, while the set up was bland the conclusion was new and he found out it's a lie, which might lead to a interesting story of revolutionising Kelpian society.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Oh, also Pike speaks bad German 😄
    lFC4bt2.gif
    Oh, also Pike speaks bad German 😄
    I didn't even catch them speaking German. I have real trouble switching from listening to stuff in English and someone suddenly talking German. Especially if they are clearly not good at it and still sound American. It's just gibberish to me.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    It was horrible and it seems like I am overexaggerating, but I literally through my hooves in the air and said "Stop it!" because I couldn't take it any more 😄😒

I just imagined you shouting 'Stop it!' like James May when he sees a Dodge Hellcat. :D
    edited February 2019
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > Oh, also Pike speaks bad German 😄
    >
    >
    >
    > I didn't even catch them speaking German. I have real trouble switching from listening to stuff in English and someone suddenly talking German. Especially if they are clearly not good at it and still sound American. It's just gibberish to me.

I didn't catch whether the translator malfunction made them all just be translated differently or they all spoke their native which means nobody but Saru bothered to learn different languages in the future (where is their comms officer? Even Sato could speak multiple languages, as did Uhura) But Pike spoke German, but with an incredibly thick accent. The grammar was fine but with that accent he'd never speak German 'native' 😄
    lFC4bt2.gif
    I wonder if Voq's kid could be Koroth? https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Koroth

Koroth has too much color to be Voq's kid which is why the Albino is Voq's Kid theory exists.

patrickngo wrote: »
    sorry to bring this up, but it's kind of a criticism with Discovery that goes back to when cBS was just leaking sneak-peeks and the show hadn't even run yet, that is, this apparent burning need to link everyone in the current series to someone in past series, beginning with Bunny burnham being spocks unacknowledged sister, retreading Harry Mudd, etc.

are there really so few exceptional individuals that everyone has to be a relative of someone that had any importance in the setting already?

Some fans want to connect some of the characters in Discovery with other Star Trek series. The possibility exists that Voq's son is The Albino or a monk that helped clone Kahless, but unless it is shown in a future Star Trek series, then he might as well be some nameless individual that had no noticeable effect on history.
    Discovery was never meant to stand on it's own. It desperately needs to hold hands with existimg stories, it was build up to be exactly this which is my biggest issue with it - the bare bones concept is poor. There is no need to "fill the gaps". Just tell your stories and have one call back episode in the season. But the whole Spock thing is already ridiculous, and now all the Klingons we ever saw are also related to each other? 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I wonder if Voq's kid could be Koroth? https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Koroth

unlikely, i mean the age might be right, but the child would have been albino in appearance and not that of a regular Klingon like Koroth. It's possible the baby was raised on Boreth and had a very traditional upbringing, but when the time was right the child/adult would make their own choice by right. but during the era in 2270's where the possibility of war with the federation is never too far away, i'd think it would be more likely that the child would've gone on to become a warrior to prove himself and to end doubts about his appearance and to fight for the empire.

i'm actually thinking of this person: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Albino. The timeline tracks roughly and if the Albino is a klingon, it might be this person is that child?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    Discovery was never meant to stand on it's own. It desperately needs to hold hands with existimg stories, it was build up to be exactly this which is my biggest issue with it - the bare bones concept is poor. There is no need to "fill the gaps". Just tell your stories and have one call back episode in the season. But the whole Spock thing is already ridiculous, and now all the Klingons we ever saw are also related to each other? 😜

It's a prequel. If it stood fully alone it would fail in the principal function of a prequel.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

artan42 wrote: »
    It's a prequel. If it stood fully alone it would fail in the principal function of a prequel.

Exactly. Prequels are dumb, by their very nature pig-1.gif

But it could still have worked, they just don't have to try so hard. The forced connection to Spock through a non-existant sibling was neither missed nor required to fill any gaps (and yes, Sybok was also dumb). Having Pike and the Enterprise in Discovery is unnecessary. They could have just depicted events of the period and maybe have one episode where we meet the Enterprise.

But I had preferred an episodic show anyway. Both main story lines they chose don't appeal to me, the Klingon war was not something I needed explained, especially not with the weird religious/fanatical subtext they chose and Red Angels and Spock are also meh. I would have been interested in how the UFP and Starfleet grow together, cooperating alien crews with Discovery maybe being the first fully diverse starship in a fleet largely made up of segregated crews. I don't care about Voq/Tyler, L'Rell or their kid.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    This is a dumb belief by its very nature. It would be like saying that if we got TNG first, we should have never gotten TOS because it was a "prequel"

Having stories that fill in the various gaps in the timeline isn't dumb, its actually quite good because it actually fleshes out the universe rather then continue star trek's march toward widening an ever wider ocean, while doing little to add depth to it.

This makes absolutely no sense, since we did not get TNG before TOS.

If you like the pseudo-depth applied by prequels fine, more power to you. But they're still dumb, unless they actually respect the material they are meant to "predate" and not just cash in on name dropping pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    There is quite a difference between the unintentional breaking of continuity, altering the continuity to make something fit later, and raising a Viagra-laced middle finger to that which came before.
    There is quite a difference between the unintentional breaking of continuity, altering the continuity to make something fit later, and raising a Viagra-laced middle finger to that which came before.

Like every other show, including TOS has done to TOS then.​​

#TASforSTO

> @artan42 said:
    > Like every other show, including TOS has done to TOS then.​​

But that's not relevant. Nobody claims it never happeneded before. It's still poor to change prior events just because they're unable to incorporate them into the story. It's poor when any show does it, I don't give DSC a pass because it happened before (you know my hate tirades about FC or ENT 😂).

If they want to tell X but that doesn't work because the creative minds prior did Y they shouldn't just change it to Z. They either make it YX or choose another point in time. I loathe retcons pretty much all the time.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    The only "big" retcon I see in Discovery seems to be the visuals, however, and I am fine with that. I was also fine with DS9 reusing TOS footage or recreating TOS sets or whatever they did exactly.

Everything else does not really seem to violate anything we knew about the story of the universe and its people. It just extends it. It might not always be things we expected, and it might not always fit fanon, but that's fine with me.
    > @artan42 said:
    > Like every other show, including TOS has done to TOS then.​​

But that's not relevant. Nobody claims it never happeneded before. It's still poor to change prior events just because they're unable to incorporate them into the story. It's poor when any show does it, I don't give DSC a pass because it happened before (you know my hate tirades about FC or ENT 😂).

If they want to tell X but that doesn't work because the creative minds prior did Y they shouldn't just change it to Z. They either make it YX or choose another point in time. I loathe retcons pretty much all the time.

If you can fix something go for it. DSC has done nothing but improve the universe around the period of TOS. The visuals update the era to actually fit between ENT and TMP and the technical allows for a more realistic future to us today than the TOS future to the 60s.
    Oh, except the stupid melty ears on the Klingons, that's inexcusable.

I can't think of any retcon in Trek that didn't improve things.

#TASforSTO

edited February 2019
    DSC might not violate anything specifically, but it's expansion feels very unnecessary. The whole Spock schebang is not something that was missing, but it's hand-holding to piggyback on TOS instead just itself. The spore drive is unnecessary since it won't exist later on - so why put it in a prequel story?

The visuals are not an issue for me personally. I dislike most but not all of their artistic choices and personally would have applauded a greater respect for the old sets (again, if you can't then don't make a prequel, just make a sequel) but I know that not everythimg production based has actual in-universe ramifications, to me Klingons still look like in TNG for instance. The culture DSC chooses for them however is very much not how my headcanon went and thus I disapprove.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be fair, they're showing us exactly why the spore drive "didn't exist" later on. It appears (from the preview) that S2 Ep5 will focus on the impact of Discovery's spore-drive use and very likely show us that there is a VERY good reason that the drive was confined to history, probably classified, and never spoken of again.

As for Klingon culture.... sorry, this might be an unpopular opinion but I'm enjoying seeing them do something other than constantly bellow about 'honor' and 'battle'. TNG onward Klingons were, for the most part (emphasis, I am NOT saying they were always potrayed that way) a prime example of 'planet of hats'.

I know the developments, but in the end it's a "dream episode". We had instantaneous travel over all dimensions and now we don't - why come up with this story in the first place? Prequel stories are doomed to be 'insignificant' in one way or the other since of course nothing DSC shows us did exist in TOS and thus none of the characters kept anything classified or lied, they didn't know of it because it wasn't written back then (same with S31, there is no S31 in TOS because it didn't exist IRL - that's my problem with retcons, they never feel right). If you prequel you have to limit yourself to things that make sense, otherwise you go the "everything is classified" route, which is synonymous with "It was a dream" and thus insignificant.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Kobayashi Maru
    > @patrickngo said:
    > artan42 wrote: »
    >
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > > @artan42 said:
    > > Like every other show, including TOS has done to TOS then.​​
    >
    > But that's not relevant. Nobody claims it never happeneded before. It's still poor to change prior events just because they're unable to incorporate them into the story. It's poor when any show does it, I don't give DSC a pass because it happened before (you know my hate tirades about FC or ENT 😂).
    >
    > If they want to tell X but that doesn't work because the creative minds prior did Y they shouldn't just change it to Z. They either make it YX or choose another point in time. I loathe retcons pretty much all the time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you can fix something go for it. DSC has done nothing but improve the universe around the period of TOS. The visuals update the era to actually fit between ENT and TMP and the technical allows for a more realistic future to us today than the TOS future to the 60s.
    > Oh, except the stupid melty ears on the Klingons, that's inexcusable.
    >
    > I can't think of any retcon in Trek that didn't improve things.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > but then, gotta ask: how much did you like it in the first place?

Can we please NOT get into the whole "true fan" rubbish? 'Cos that's where this argument always leads.
    Hardly only applies to prequels though, does it? I mean, by that logic the fact that nothing more was ever done with the parasites seen in TNG 'Conspiracy' falls under the "why come up with this story in the first place" too since neither TNG, DS9 nor Voyager ever explored them further. No free pass just because it wasn't a prequel. It's a storyline that they never followed through with (and I know the reasons but that doesn't change the fact that they dumped the idea makes the episode "insignificant".

And if we're focusing on prequels...... Enterprise suffers from this too. The Borg. The Ferengi. Both seen in Enterprise but since they convieniently forgot to identify themselves they fall into the "thus insignificant" catergory too.

Yes, indeed. I agree
    lFC4bt2.gif
    To be fair, they're showing us exactly why the spore drive "didn't exist" later on. It appears (from the preview) that S2 Ep5 will focus on the impact of Discovery's spore-drive use and very likely show us that there is a VERY good reason that the drive was confined to history, probably classified, and never spoken of again.

As for Klingon culture.... sorry, this might be an unpopular opinion but I'm enjoying seeing them do something other than constantly bellow about 'honor' and 'battle'. TNG onward Klingons were, for the most part (emphasis, I am NOT saying they were always potrayed that way) a prime example of 'planet of hats'.

I know the developments, but in the end it's a "dream episode". We had instantaneous travel over all dimensions and now we don't - why come up with this story in the first place? Prequel stories are doomed to be 'insignificant' in one way or the other since of course nothing DSC shows us did exist in TOS and thus none of the characters kept anything classified or lied, they didn't know of it because it wasn't written back then (same with S31, there is no S31 in TOS because it didn't exist IRL - that's my problem with retcons, they never feel right). If you prequel you have to limit yourself to things that make sense, otherwise you go the "everything is classified" route, which is synonymous with "It was a dream" and thus insignificant.​​

Hardly only applies to prequels though, does it? I mean, by that logic the fact that nothing more was ever done with the parasites seen in TNG 'Conspiracy' falls under the "why come up with this story in the first place" too since neither TNG, DS9 nor Voyager ever explored them further. No free pass just because it wasn't a prequel. It's a storyline that they never followed through with (and I know the reasons but that doesn't change the fact that they dumped the idea makes the episode "insignificant".

And if we're focusing on prequels...... Enterprise suffers from this too. The Borg. The Ferengi. Both seen in Enterprise but since they convieniently forgot to identify themselves they fall into the "thus insignificant" catergory too.

Apparently the parasites were supposed to be the first wave of the Borg with the Borg having an insectoid appearance instead of the cybernetic appearance we know and love. The insectoid look was replaced by the cybernetic look due to budget constraints.

There is a few novels that deal with them. The parasites are Trill Symbiotes that were genetically modified due to trying to find a cure to stop a deadly plague that affected symbiotes. Then there is the STO explanation that they are Iconian agents used to infect the Vaadwaur.
This discussion has been closed.