test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] The Endeavor System!

Comments

• Options
    leoanimaleoanima Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    "The current Endeavor will appear on your mission tracker, above your current missions. "

Request - could ya put it BELOW my current mission instead? My top mission is the one I'm actually working on - I really want my TOP mission to be the one I'm ACTIVELY working on. At least give the option to keep top mission players choice.
  • Options
    hotaru#3651 hotaru Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Could be a fun excuse to try some new stuff in the game. Could also be a pointless grind that I'll do once or twice and then ignore.

It all depends on the ease of the tasks and magnitude of the rewards. Small task/small reward is fine. Big task/big reward is fine. (Small task/big reward is better than fine, but I'm not really expecting that one.) Just as long as it isn't big task/small reward, in which case you can expect it to be largely ignored in favor of the usual, more profitable enterprises.

And I second the request to have it appear below the primary mission; while I won't mind having it on top if I'm actually doing it, if I've decided not to do it I'd rather just see whatever mission I'm working on, as usual.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Kinda reminds me of a 'Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey'

The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me. I remember we'd all pile into the car---I forget what kind it was---and drive and drive. I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there. The smell of something was strong in the air as we played whatever sport we played. I remember a bigger, older guy we called "Dad." We'd eat some stuff, or not, and then I think we went home. I guess some things never leave you.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    RIP EC economy.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    leoanima wrote: »
    "The current Endeavor will appear on your mission tracker, above your current missions. "

Request - could ya put it BELOW my current mission instead? My top mission is the one I'm actually working on - I really want my TOP mission to be the one I'm ACTIVELY working on. At least give the option to keep top mission players choice.

The bottom of the mission tracker can swing around wildly as you swap between viewing current mission objectives and all missions in progress. I think it could be rather obnoxious for a status display item (ie. Endeavors) to be tracking with that movement (so, at the very least make top the default.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Will there be a way to see which Endeavor Projects are in the pipeline? Say, it's Monday. Will we be able to see which events are scheduled for the weekend? For example, if contributing to Fleet Projects is the weekend event, players can save up for that and be prepared ahead of time. Would the in-game calendar be used to track such things? Or another UI element similar to the Summer/Winter Event activities schedule tracker? Also, will the rotation of events be on a steady, repeating schedule that can be predicted?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2017
    So ignore the accolade system and bribe players to play content that will most likely result in obtaining accolades anyway.

#facepalm

Would have been better off making an "accolade" points based reputation to unlock goodies.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Best of luck, Cryptic.

Most people don't play a queue either because it's bugged or simply an un-fun slog. If it's a broken queue, I do hope you fix it once it comes up in rotation, and not leave it in a bugged state while it continues to be rotated in. If it's an unfun slog with limited rewards for the time it takes, given a tiny reward every now and then won't re-invigorate that queue, and I'd expect that fewer and fewer people would bother with that Endeavor when it comes up.

As for using weapons of a given type, a lot of that is either canon desires or the shear cost and tedium of upgrading to Mk XIV. You're not going to get my Antiproton using toon to switch to, say, Polaron. Not because Polaron is bad necessarily, just that the cost of getting it to the same damage output as my existing Antiproton means piles of Dil and Upgrades, plus the time of doing so. I'm also not going to switch my toon with the Galaxy class from using Phasers either, for both cost and canon. So, unless Endeavors comes out with either gift weapons of higher than Mk XII VR, or lots of upgrades, I don't think it'll have that big of an impact on what color people are shooting.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    So.. is this intended to be the reintroduction of the old, old hourly bonus events? Killing Crystalline Entity during X hour for bonus rewards, R&D Hour, etc.?

Wasn't that system retired because it didn't 'control' the playerbase in the desired fashion? What was the take-away from that, and how is this system an improvement? Won't this system 'muddy the water' for weekend events?
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    This could be interesting... will have to see when it goes live.
  • Options
    vinny#6447 vinny Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Coming in a future update, PC Captains will be able to complete a new Endeavor every two to three days to earn rewards in the game!

Full details here:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10549024

I want to be excited for this but... P.W. will always find a way to mess it up. only time will tell.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    The New Endeavor System. Because no one at Cryptic has the stones it takes to tell the playerbase the following:

Alriight, you pack of lazy miscreants! Time for you stop having fun playing other MMOs and log in!"
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    So...I already do this in WoWS and WT. Sounds like they copied the exact same system.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    szerontzur wrote: »
    So.. is this intended to be the reintroduction of the old, old hourly bonus events? Killing Crystalline Entity during X hour for bonus rewards, R&D Hour, etc.?

Wasn't that system retired because it didn't 'control' the playerbase in the desired fashion? What was the take-away from that, and how is this system an improvement? Won't this system 'muddy the water' for weekend events?

I actually liked the hourly events and have always hated the weekend ones because it's exactly the time I can't participate.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Don't we have enough grind already?
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I knew I should have known better than to think this was a new exploration system.

Even after all this time, I still want to boldly go. To seek out new life and new civilizations and NOT BLOW THEM UP.

You know we're never going to get it. STO is all about ship collecting and pew pew.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    It seems to me that this is just another attempt to get players who have "done everything" to play more actively to improve metrics.
    I'm not really interested in some random repetitive task, I've done enough of them in the past to know it gets boring just logging in to do the same thing over and over.

The required gear note has me concerned, I won't be swapping gear around just to meet some random target.
    And I hope there aren't projects that get me to participate in activities I actively disdain.......
    As long as the endeavors are not impossible to accomplish, I'm game. If I see "Discharge Tovan Khev" in the mix, I swear by the power of Logos that I will Lightning Bolt everything I see...
    If only we could do that, if only......
    The game metrics would overload on that day if that task was allocated! :p:D

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    tilarta wrote: »
    The required gear note has me concerned, I won't be swapping gear around just to meet some random target.
    As long as the endeavors are not impossible to accomplish, I'm game. If I see "Discharge Tovan Khev" in the mix, I swear by the power of Logos that I will Lightning Bolt everything I see...
    If only we could do that, if only......
    The game metrics would overload on that day if that task was allocated! :p:D

QFT. Agreed on the first. And as for the second, not only would both my current Romulans do it gleefully, but I'd create new ones just to do it AGAIN! :)

But my real concern here is how much more this will depress not only EC but Dil. How about handing out ZEN as a reward? Or Lobi? *mutters*Or T6 TOS ships?*/mutters*

And before some troll jumps me, the *mutters* part was a joke. As for Dil or Lobi: I remember when a couple of Lobi were given out during FE Reruns (and where have the Reruns gone, BTW?) A FEW Lobi or Zen (and I mean a FEW, not a ton) would provide incentive, and not further destroy the Exchange.

[EDIT: I didn't know that word would be filtered. Odd, but replaced. I apologize for any inconvenience.]
    Post edited by vorwoda on
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    jheinig wrote: »
    To be clear, endeavors are on a per-account basis. Once you finish a given endeavor it's done for your account.
    At this time the rewards are non-unique items - you will get a mix of various rewards like marks and energy credits.

"rewards like marks and energy credits."

BORING

Marks can be gained via pretty much everything else we do in game so where exactly is the draw for the player from those?

Also adding ec into an already overinflated economy is sheer idiocy.

Rather than that why not a few lobi or fleet specific resources. The demands for lobi are so high getting 4-5 every couple of days won't hurt your precious lockbox based economy. And fleet dilithium would be awesome for those that struggle to contribute it to their fleet due to how much of a demand is put on it as a commodity and currency.

It doesnt matter if the tasks change every few days if the rewards are a steaming pile of tribble keech.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    To be clear, endeavors are on a per-account basis. Once you finish a given endeavor it's done for your account.
    At this time the rewards are non-unique items - you will get a mix of various rewards like marks and energy credits.

"rewards like marks and energy credits."

BORING

Marks can be gained via pretty much everything else we do in game so where exactly is the draw for the player from those?

Also adding ec into an already overinflated economy is sheer idiocy.

Rather than that why not a few lobi or fleet specific resources. The demands for lobi are so high getting 4-5 every couple of days won't hurt your precious lockbox based economy. And fleet dilithium would be awesome for those that struggle to contribute it to their fleet due to how much of a demand is put on it as a commodity and currency.

It doesnt matter if the tasks change every few days if the rewards are a steaming pile of tribble keech.

It's not like the Endeavor Police will show up and beat you if you decide to not participate in a given daily task, and if you do get more stuff for things you were going to do anyway, all the better. :)
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User

Ultimately this means it's up to you to decide whether a given endeavor is something that you'll enjoy. If it's something you think you'll like, great! You get bonus rewards for doing it! If you decide not to, there'll be something different to do in a couple of days.
    I like this.

STO has such a diverse selection races, factions, classes, ship types weapons and powers, that it encourages making multiple characters to explore all the different options in gameplay. However, most systems are a per character reward making it very grindy for someone with several characters to "catch up". I really like the idea of account rewards, since you can play whichever character you want then divide the spoils among your characters as you choose (assuming I understand the system correctly).

As a player with multiple characters (who is eagerly awaiting the next recruiting event) I think this kind of system is a step in the right direction.