What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I think competitive pve will ultimately fail

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    I will join this queue when they give us dual or multi spec so I can spec into PVP. No sooner.
    Only one of them has any PvP in it (Core Assault).
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    I will join this queue when they give us dual or multi spec so I can spec into PVP. No sooner.

No the only one that does not have PVP is the twin trail that they released on Thursday. Go read the descriptions.
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »

No the only one that does not have PVP is the twin trail that they released on Thursday. Go read the descriptions.
    Descriptions schmescriptions, I've played them and there is no PvP except the core room in CA.
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    @newromulan#1567 last time I tried Twin and Tribulation, it was broken in the first room and no team could complete it and we had to warp out
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    @warpangel if they remove marks from Borg Red Alert, it would be counterproductive for the game itself.
    E.g. a new player wants to get some marks and the queues are dead , except for ISA and CCA
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    @warpangel if they remove marks from Borg Red Alert, it would be counterproductive for the game itself.
    E.g. a new player wants to get some marks and the queues are dead , except for ISA and CCA
    If players were required to play associated content to get marks, the queues wouldn't be dead.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »

You mean the Monster Player option in Binary Circuit? The one that allows a single player to forego directly aiding their team and instead load in as a Borg with predefined stats and abilities? Funny, I saw someone mention that these queues should have been designed to have any player vs. player combat be conducted with preset abilities to level the playing field in this very thread. I wonder who that was?
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    If players were required to play associated content to get marks, the queues wouldn't be dead.

that's an argument older than you think-if players had to play Ground queues to get STF gear, and specific queues to get specific rewards, a lot of queues would still be busy.

But the model was chosen so that, in the case of Omega marks (for example) you can grind ISA until your eyes fall out and get everything you USED to have to do all six STFs to successful conclusions ( With optionals) to get.

the argument's been had, that concept lost. What we have now, is th e result of that argument being lost.
    A defeatist attitude is not useful.

What we have now doesn't work.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

that's an argument older than you think-if players had to play Ground queues to get STF gear, and specific queues to get specific rewards, a lot of queues would still be busy.

But the model was chosen so that, in the case of Omega marks (for example) you can grind ISA until your eyes fall out and get everything you USED to have to do all six STFs to successful conclusions ( With optionals) to get.

the argument's been had, that concept lost. What we have now, is th e result of that argument being lost.

A defeatist attitude will save you trouble when you are facing a no win scenerio.

And who says it doesn't work? I mean don't you like running CCA and ISA for the 1 billionth time?

someone should've told kirk that, then​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User

A defeatist attitude will save you trouble when you are facing a no win scenerio.

And who says it doesn't work? I mean don't you like running CCA and ISA for the 1 billionth time?

Cryptic Devs would have defeated even Kirk sadly.
  • Options

Cryptic Devs would have defeated even Kirk sadly.
    The same devs who took down NWS because it was "too easy?"

STO players weren't even cheating on it.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Enh, that wasn't the ONLY difference. This was back in the dark days of grinding for RNG drops(unique to each mission) that you might never get. That aspect of it stank.

I'm not a big fan of choice of marks STFs myself. It gives people even more reason to play only the quickest and easiest.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,116 Arc User

While I absolutely support the idea behind your position - having a connection between marks and content, which would also mean to nerf event pet growing - I still see a lot of problems for new players. By now, the "older ones" have filled all reps, and those which do not give great sets will probably never be seen again. Let's face it, for many players it doesn't even matter what marks they'll get, it will be dilithiumified either way. Which means those of us who filled it all will still gravitate towards their ISAs or similar, while new players will spend a considerable amount of time queueing for some Undine or Voth marks (which are the two I in the end enjoyed most when first collecting my marks, but which already back then with less circumvention possibilities took quite a few minutes to pop).
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    It could be so easy... the Devs should just give players a clear cut choice between a pure PvE and PvP version of this new content, and then let the players decide what they actually want to play.

Adding the new marks to the Red Alerts is also a good idea, and that should be done with the next game update this week.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    regenerde wrote: »
    It could be so easy... the Devs should just give players a clear cut choice between a pure PvE and PvP version of this new content, and then let the players decide what they actually want to play.

That would be logical, Captain.
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »

While I absolutely support the idea behind your position - having a connection between marks and content, which would also mean to nerf event pet growing - I still see a lot of problems for new players. By now, the "older ones" have filled all reps, and those which do not give great sets will probably never be seen again. Let's face it, for many players it doesn't even matter what marks they'll get, it will be dilithiumified either way. Which means those of us who filled it all will still gravitate towards their ISAs or similar, while new players will spend a considerable amount of time queueing for some Undine or Voth marks (which are the two I in the end enjoyed most when first collecting my marks, but which already back then with less circumvention possibilities took quite a few minutes to pop).
    Which is why the entire queue reward structure needs revamp. Players should not all gravitate toward ISA/CCA.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    @newromulan#1567 last time I tried Twin and Tribulation, it was broken in the first room and no team could complete it and we had to warp out

My last trip in to Twin and Tribulations was a success. Lost the game but everything seem to play through fine. It was somewhat of a close race where my team was a bit more distracted but we got to the next to last room before the other team finished it.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Not everyone will respond the way you intend to your attempt to force them to play the "correct" matches to get their marks. If the "correct" matches aren't enough fun to justify the time spent, a lot of people just won't bother. Regardless, subverting free will isn't exactly conducive to the enjoyment of a game. If you want players to follow your "correct" path, you'll just have to make it appealing to them.

• Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »
    And those are, laughably, Advanced content! :D

Maybe it has to do with them being old advanced content being played by players geared for elite because those have no elite versions to run.

If you played normal content with your "advanced-capable" ship, I'm sure you'll be vaping all those mobs at the same rate.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I feel sorry for anyone starting the competetive pve rep now as the queues are pretty much dead now folk who got in at the start have repped up and moved back to the same old "more efficient" places. Or are simply bored with how few maps the system started off with.

Spent the last hour waiting for them to come up, 30 on normal and 30 on advanced, and at most there was four people in the queue for them according to the list.

Granted its a monday but the same thing applied over the weekend.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    binary circuit elite's been popping relatively quickly for me over the weekend, even when it started getting very late yesterday

twin tribulation took a lot longer in all cases unless i got lucky, but it still popped quick enough for the most part

core assault, no idea; haven't played it, won't play it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »

Maybe it has to do with them being old advanced content being played by players geared for elite because those have no elite versions to run.

Okay - so why is it that so many of these players 'geared for elite' are still repeat playing the advanced content even though there IS at least one Elite queue that is sufficently challenging for 'playes geared for elite' (Korfez)?

Probably because STO has pretty much turned into Grind-fest Online now. If you want anything you have to either pay cash or grind a ridiculous amount. So i'd guess that at any one time at least half of the players online are doing so solely to grind out resources for something they need/want. So they will naturally gravitate towards the easiest way to get resources, and that happens to be CCA and ISA.
    The devs know if they removed those there would be a rebellion unlike any seen before and the rage and tears would be unending.
    They created the monster that is the grind-fest and now they cannot take away the best option for players to farm for that grind.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    e30ernest wrote: »

Okay - so why is it that so many of these players 'geared for elite' are still repeat playing the advanced content even though there IS at least one Elite queue that is sufficently challenging for 'playes geared for elite' (Korfez)?
    Because playing ISA + CCA instead will give them more reward.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    I don't think any of the high DPS players actually play ISA and CCA for the rewards. They play these maps because they are parseable maps with their own tabs in the various DPS Leagues. Another well-played Elite is Give Onslaught Elite, which again has its own leaderboard.

Being parseable maps is a big draw. I know I only play CCA to see how fast I can finish it, and ISA to test out various builds. The rewards are irrelevant.

Reducing the rewards there would do nothing for these player's since they already have more Dil to refine and more marks than they can use on their main/high-end toons. You'll again only hit the casual or new player's.

For example, I have over 200k Omega Marks, several thousand BNPs and over 80k Fleet Marks banked over several years worth of testing and various for fun runs.