test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I think competitive pve will ultimately fail

Comments

• Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    They should make the Borg in ISA an actual threat. Scaled up the NPCs with the level of damage we can dish out now.
  • Options
    akpaakpa Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Probably because STO has pretty much turned into Grind-fest Online now. If you want anything you have to either pay cash or grind a ridiculous amount. So i'd guess that at any one time at least half of the players online are doing so solely to grind out resources for something they need/want. So they will naturally gravitate towards the easiest way to get resources, and that happens to be CCA and ISA.
    The devs know if they removed those there would be a rebellion unlike any seen before and the rage and tears would be unending.
    They created the monster that is the grind-fest and now they cannot take away the best option for players to farm for that grind.

all the mmos are based on grind and old mmos are even more grind-fests. this isn't really a very bad thing imo.
    i don't think the rebellion would be that big, but in the same time i don't think removing cca or isa is a solution.
    as many have posted in many places around the forums they have to do something about the dead ques, but not deleting them. they could put a rotation on them and make them reward all the marks in that rotation or some better reward. they could put some extra dilithium refined and in this case they could solve the contraband/dilithium exchange system that made this game into a login/logout game. i'm sure they can come with some solutions.
    from time to time, in every mmo, there has to be some big changes, like the balance update we have seen in sto. and i think the next big thing will (or should be) about the pve ques and how to resurrect them.

ps: you can always play them with private rooms with your fleet/armada, which a lot of ppl are doing.

now on topic: the competitive pve is a nice idea and i don't think the system will fail. maybe we can see a competitive battlezone.
    speaking about battlezones, many players, and including myslef, prefere to farm marks on them instead into the ques. it can be done solo or with a friend and this is a big win.
    my post's number is higher than smirk's dps
  • Options
    newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Nice idea. Still core assault seems to be done. I normally hate ground, but plan on giving it a try next. I feel that this will be the first and last attempt to revive pvp in STO.
    Really was a bad plan. How do you launch a new thing geared to pvp, without fixing the underlying pvp system? Well the answer is you can't. The system got so broken. If most of the games real pvp players would keep queing up frequently, we would see so many threads of tears here. That is not even taking the matching system, what does it do?
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Binary Elite pops just fine @postagepaid. My friends and I have integrated in in our daily runs despite the fact that we have saturated competitive marks already. This map gives a reasonable reward perspective driven by the motivation to win the top reward:

1440 Dil
    + 205 Competitive marks (inkl. daily) -> 2050 Dil
    + 3 Competitive Elite Marks -> 1000 Dil
    = 4490 Dil

One also gets 1 salvage tech.

We usually go in in groups of 3-5 players which can handle it. Rest is filled with pugs. A trained group will beat it easily in 5-10 minutes depending on the respective maze layout for the most part.

I doubt that under current condition this map will fail amongst those of the player base which don’t hesitate to earn their rewards through active play.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    By grouping up beforehand it automatically skews the timer in your favour.
  • Options
    tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    I'd rate binary a 9 out of 10, twin a 8 out of 10 and core a 5 out of 10 but that's just me. I think this cpve,cpvpish thing will be viable once the UI gets some tweaking. One issue with queue times, the weather is getting better and it's harder to spend more time on the CPU when it's play time outside. Just something to factor in when your looking at wait times.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

I realize that and play the game accordingly since 2012. Teaming up with friends and fleet (guild) mates is the central aspect of an mmorpg for me. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,298 Arc User

I realize that and play the game accordingly since 2012. Teaming up with friends and fleet (guild) mates is the central aspect of an mmorpg for me. ;)

Honestly regardless of the MMO I've played, I've always teamed up with friends/guild mates(aka fleet mates) for group PvE it's simply a) more fun to do with friends and b) generally more reliable then with pugs. It has nothing to do with queue times, at least not for me, it's simply how I like to play when possible.

Speaking of which we doing ground elites after the downtime today Pete? ;)
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

Honestly regardless of the MMO I've played, I've always teamed up with friends/guild mates(aka fleet mates) for group PvE it's simply a) more fun to do with friends and b) generally more reliable then with pugs. It has nothing to do with queue times, at least not for me, it's simply how I like to play when possible.

Speaking of which we doing ground elites after the downtime today Pete? ;)

Hooray Shim. Think I’m around yea. If not I’m defiantly around Saturday. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Really was a bad plan. How do you launch a new thing geared to pvp, without fixing the underlying pvp system?
    Define "fix". Because they did a lot of things recently tailored around rebalancing things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone have any more experiences on how the que's are going? Particularly core assault? That is the more pvp centric of the 3.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I've only done Binary Circuit and only starting this week. I did the first run through on Normal and then jumped to Elite, running at that level ten times so far. The Elite Queue pops in less than five minutes. I've noticed the UI shows 6 or 7 Queued, that may stay for a few minutes then you get the 'Group Matched' and within a minute or so you get the confirmation dialog. Then either into the Queue within a minute or you get the Match Disbanded because of Player Declines. In the latter case it seems you do not get an additional Confirmation Dialog when it pops later.

The Queue itself is fun and though I've only been in one that we won, mostly it's down to who beats down the final of the three bosses first. A good indication of a tightly fought contest.

Even losing, you get one Assessed Strategum, 75 Competitive Marks (plus Daily if you haven't already gotten it), Elite Queue Mats, and 1,440 Dilitium. The Mats include a Salvaged Tech, and 3-10 VR Mats.

Other than before Delta Rising, when the current Advanced was Elite, this is the first Queue that I have ever run on Elite.

I have heard no complaints from any participant thus far.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    I've only done Binary Circuit and only starting this week. I did the first run through on Normal and then jumped to Elite, running at that level ten times so far. The Elite Queue pops in less than five minutes. I've noticed the UI shows 6 or 7 Queued, that may stay for a few minutes then you get the 'Group Matched' and within a minute or so you get the confirmation dialog. Then either into the Queue within a minute or you get the Match Disbanded because of Player Declines. In the latter case it seems you do not get an additional Confirmation Dialog when it pops later.

The Queue itself is fun and though I've only been in one that we won, mostly it's down to who beats down the final of the three bosses first. A good indication of a tightly fought contest.

Even losing, you get one Assessed Strategum, 75 Competitive Marks (plus Daily if you haven't already gotten it), Elite Queue Mats, and 1,440 Dilitium. The Mats include a Salvaged Tech, and 3-10 VR Mats.

Other than before Delta Rising, when the current Advanced was Elite, this is the first Queue that I have ever run on Elite.

I have heard no complaints from any participant thus far.

you can fail if you get unlucky on the second part (the lightning orbs), I've done it loads with my fleet (on elite) normally it's down who beats the last 3 bosses fastest but there's times when red or blue side does their side so much slower (for what ever reason) that the other side can beat them easily but those are rare.

What I actually like about Binary is that it's not a DPS zerg where only that matter is is you position is the DPS chart, in Binary you can have the team consisting of the best DPSers in the game but if you can solve those puzzles you're not gonna win.

Granted I'm not implying that those that focus on DPS are stupid, I'm sure there's smart and stupid people there like any other group but queue where you just focus on getting the max possible DPS without really having to worry about what NPCs are doing gets boring after a while.
  • Options
    So anyone meet some good science pvp captains in core assault?
  • Options
    Did BCE twice last night, again it was down to getting that third Boss down first. One time we did, and one we didn't. Funny thing about that didn't, the Elite Queue R&D Pack did NOT include a Salvaged Technology. I thought that was always a given.

I do remember one run very early on when I started these that we did not get out of the Lightning Orbs before the other Team killed all three Bosses. If I remember correctly, we received 'only' 1,080 Dilitium, a Strategum, the Elite R&D Box, and (not precise) but less than 40 Marks.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    With mirror event starting tomorrow then the summer event soon after, offering competitive marks, last nail in the coffin of this pvp revamp? At least for core assault.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    With mirror event starting tomorrow then the summer event soon after, offering competitive marks, last nail in the coffin of this pvp revamp? At least for core assault.

so, same as every other release?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    Competitive Marks are being added to most items where there is Multiple Choice Marks Awards according to tomorrow's patch notes.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    So anyone meet some good science pvp captains in core assault?

I have, they're the only things that can kill my Battle Cloaking Defiant.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yeah, makes me laugh really.

Seriously though, I don't understand the broken thought process at work here.
    NWS: Deemed to be too easy and therefore removed.
    CCA: Can be completed in as little as ten seconds. Apparently not a problem.
    ISA: Many teams able to complete in under two minutes. Some able to complete in less than one minute.

And those are, laughably, Advanced content! :D

I think someone around here missed the point of something called "No Win Scenario".
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Fascinating what amount of brain dead stuff the average STO player is willing to accept rather than facting engaging, new content.

Up till today my friends and I had no problems the get Binary and Core assault to pop. On 9/10 we experienced exiting matches with the opposing team. In short we had to earn our wins and lost on occasion as well.

But hey, what is that supposed to accomplish in a videogame where you can collect eggs, close rifts and raise birds as well. :/
    animated.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    orangeitis wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yeah, makes me laugh really.

Seriously though, I don't understand the broken thought process at work here.
    NWS: Deemed to be too easy and therefore removed.
    CCA: Can be completed in as little as ten seconds. Apparently not a problem.
    ISA: Many teams able to complete in under two minutes. Some able to complete in less than one minute.

And those are, laughably, Advanced content! :D

I think someone around here missed the point of something called "No Win Scenario".
    The point was to dangle a high reward just out of reach of most players, which they failed at.
  • Options

Fascinating what amount of brain dead stuff the average STO player is willing to accept rather than facting engaging, new content.

Up till today my friends and I had no problems the get Binary and Core assault to pop. On 9/10 we experienced exiting matches with the opposing team. In short we had to earn our wins and lost on occasion as well.

But hey, what is that supposed to accomplish in a videogame where you can collect eggs, close rifts and raise birds as well. :/
    yeah we've had some really nice runs in Binary, I wonder if some people have forgotten that you can do runs because you like the map and not because it gives better rewards, while I probably won't care much about the Comp rep after I've reached tier 5 and unlocked the ground outfit, it doesn't mean I would be again running the map for fun after that, I mean Mirwast and Hiroko both have max rep in all but the new rep and I still run old maps with them.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

yeah we've had some really nice runs in Binary, I wonder if some people have forgotten that you can do runs because you like the map and not because it gives better rewards, while I probably won't care much about the Comp rep after I've reached tier 5 and unlocked the ground outfit, it doesn't mean I would be again running the map for fun after that, I mean Mirwast and Hiroko both have max rep in all but the new rep and I still run old maps with them.

I especially like how our teams got better at the whole thing on each run. I fully intend to keep it in our daily pve runs if you and the others wish. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Yeah, BCE is one of the best if not the best queue added in years. Good map, interesting if easy puzzles, random enemies keeping up interest, surprisingly few problems with stupid pugs not getting the bridge puzzle, decent enough rewards and no timers slowing it down. What's not to like? And I can only assume the people who keep whining about the "PvP" have never tried it, because I don't recall ever seeing the other team even using the borg attack option.

It's definitely in my standard rotation now and will stay there unless it stops popping.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

It's definitely in my standard rotation now and will stay there unless it stops popping.

Sounds good. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yeah, BCE is one of the best if not the best queue added in years. Good map, interesting if easy puzzles, random enemies keeping up interest, surprisingly few problems with stupid pugs not getting the bridge puzzle, decent enough rewards and no timers slowing it down. What's not to like? And I can only assume the people who keep whining about the "PvP" have never tried it, because I don't recall ever seeing the other team even using the borg attack option.

every time I have tried to use the borg I am so far away from where I need to be I never make it. I have seen the other team's borg catch up to my time I think twice.

but yeah I hope it has some legs. It has a sporting chance.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."