test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What would you nerf?

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    kyle223cat wrote: »
    Another idea for the embassy plasma consoles is to give each console a 10 second cooldown. So if you had 5 consoles, and one triggered, it wouldn't be able to trigger for 10 seconds but the other 4 would still be able to. I've always wondered why this wasn't the case. The hull and shield repairing embassy consoles have a 10 second GLOBAL cooldown, so using 5 hull repair or 5 shield repair consoles is currently useless. I would like to see the 10 second cooldown per console implemented for all embassy consoles: boosting the hull/shield repair consoles and reducing how OP the plasma consoles are to the point where they is not as much of a gap between their usefulness.
    That might put them in line with the shield refrequencers..As those appear to go off 1 at a time..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    Another idea for the embassy plasma consoles is to give each console a 10 second cooldown. So if you had 5 consoles, and one triggered, it wouldn't be able to trigger for 10 seconds but the other 4 would still be able to. I've always wondered why this wasn't the case. The hull and shield repairing embassy consoles have a 10 second GLOBAL cooldown, so using 5 hull repair or 5 shield repair consoles is currently useless. I would like to see the 10 second cooldown per console implemented for all embassy consoles: boosting the hull/shield repair consoles and reducing how OP the plasma consoles are to the point where they is not as much of a gap between their usefulness.
    That might put them in line with the shield refrequencers..As those appear to go off 1 at a time..

It's even worse than you might think. The shield and hull embassy consoles go off one at a time, in theory. The problem is the 10 second cooldown listed in the tooltip applies globally to all hull or shield embassy consoles you might equip.

Basically it looks like this:

1. Let's say you have 4 hull repairing weapon signature amplifier consoles equipped, called consoles 1-4.
    2. You take fire, and the hull repair effect triggers for console 1.
    3. The 10 sec cooldown triggers for console 1.
    4. At the same time, the 10 second cooldown triggers for consoles 2-4 as well.
    5. All the consoles are on cooldown, even though only one console healed you.

With plasma explosion consoles it looks like this:

1. The first console triggers and doesn't go on cooldown because it doesn't have one.
    2. None of the other plasma consoles you have equipped go on cooldown either.
    3. All of the consoles still are able to proc.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

It's even worse than you might think. The shield and hull embassy consoles go off one at a time, in theory. The problem is the 10 second cooldown listed in the tooltip applies globally to all hull or shield embassy consoles you might equip.

1. Let's say you have 4 hull repairing weapon signature amplifier consoles equipped, called consoles 1-4.

1. The first console triggers and doesn't go on cooldown because it doesn't have one.

It's funny cause when they changed how the plasma explosion consoles worked awhile back at first everyone was complaining about them being "nerfed into the ground" ... lol
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    dareau wrote: »
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    [Better to introduce EC sinks. An example would be to actually charge EC to repair ship damage; say something like 25k EC for each minor damaged system, 50k EC for each moderately damaged system, 100k EC for each severely damaged system and 250k EC for system that has been rendered inoperable.

This creates a bit of a system in which there's still "infinite EC generation" so that there's EC available for everyone, and simultaneously creates an "illusion of fixed availability" because the sinks are pulling the EC out of the market. However, the best sinks are aimed at the rich - so that the newbies and not-focused-on-EC-creation aren't finding themselves sunk right into "poverty", but still do the job...

There has to some sort of "infinite EC generation" in the game. How else are new players going to earn EC to begin with.

Introducing EC sinks can help offset new EC flowing into the economy. They will not stop, but they can curtail inflation. The cost to repair damage will only affect those who plays story mission above normal difficulty or plays the Advanced / Elite queue missions. Not all players who are able to do "Advanced missions" are "rich", but the R&D boxes could be sold if necessary to get EC for repairs. I would assume players who can afford to upgrade gear for "Elite missions" will be rich enough to pay for repairs.

Another EC sink would be the reputation system. Simply increase the required EC for each project. Rep gear is not a requirement for the game.

Introduce a nominal transaction fee to list items for sale on the Exchange. The fee is deducted when the item is listed regardless if the item sells or not. This may help mitigate high price item speculation in the Exchange. If players can potentially loose EC from listing items that are simply priced too high for players to buy, then that may force players to sell items at a bit more reasonable price. Otherwise, the item simply gets de-listed from the Exchange and returned to the player after a period of time. At that point the item can be relisted on the Exchange, but that would incur another transaction fee.

I think a 0.2% fee of the selling price (rounded down to the nearest whole EC) on anything listed above 500k EC is reasonable. That means listing something for 500,001 EC will incur a 1k EC listing fee while a ship listed for 500m EC will result in a 1m EC listing fee. Items listed for 500k EC or less incurs no list fee.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    If I were going to "nerf" something the first thing I'd do is make AOE weapons abilities actually care about accuracy. It's not a huge destructive change, and most NPCs have the defense of a brick anyways. As it stands the Acc modifier needs to be made useful somehow (in theory Acc overflow transfers into CritX, but AOE abilities like FAW, TS, and CSV which ignore Acc don't put this into effect).
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I can agree that there may be too much EC in the game. With Admiralty alone for example, I can get a couple 100k on one character, and that's without effort. If I start assignments three times a day (for which I have enough ships) and do this on a dozen characters, I could easily earn millions, possibly even per character, a day without actually playing the game.

Questions then of course are

- Does it really matter that there's a huge gap between the billionaires and the rest? Some of those billionaires are the same people who keep the game going. Should they be punished for that?
    - If the gap can stay, and a more even distribution is not the goal but rather removing inflation by reducing the influx of EC: would a sink not just be beneficial to those with most of it?
    edited February 2017

It's funny cause when they changed how the plasma explosion consoles worked awhile back at first everyone was complaining about them being "nerfed into the ground" ... lol

I don't ever use the embassy plasma consoles, so I don't really know how much damage they do. I have heard that they do a lot, and that a lot of the high dpsers use them, though. My biggest thing is that they have no cooldown at all and yet the hull and shield heal variants not only have a cooldown, but it's global? That has bothered me for a long time.
  • wargamer01wargamer01 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Tac Captain survivability. Dev favoritism to that class is beyond out of control.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I don't really know how much damage they do.

I normally see them doing (an average of) 3-4k each on a non-Tac captain. On a Tac captain, it starts getting higher (in excess of 7k each) due to stacking all damage buffs. This is based on ISA.

IMO, people looking to nerf BFAW are barking at the wrong tree. And I say this as a player that hardly uses BFAW. :smile:
    e30ernest wrote: »
    I don't really know how much damage they do.

I normally see them doing (an average of) 3-4k each on a non-Tac captain. On a Tac captain, it starts getting higher (in excess of 7k each) due to stacking all damage buffs. This is based on ISA.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to say that and be completely off the mark. Thanks! :)
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    nikeix wrote: »
    1. Fleet Embassy "plasma exploder" consoles: These consoles are now unique/one-per-ship. Excess consoles may be returned to the vendor to refund the fleet credits/dilithium originally spent on them.

Why: Because number of science console slots being such a dominant factor in where a ship places for DPS potential as a directed energy damage build is silly, unintuitive, and pretty much lorebreaking. Reputation consoles are limited to one-per-ship. These should have been too.

2. Beam: Fire at Will: Each additional hit on the same target during a firing cycle receives a cumulative -20% damage penalty (i.e. second hit does 80% damage, third does 60%, fourth does 40%, etc.). Attacks with B:FAW suffer -20% accuracy against fighters and destructible torpedoes.

Why: Having one skill be a best or near-best go to option in 99% of the content renders a huge number of other options inferior. It saps the game of variety. In particular it squats over and takes a dump on Beam Overload, which should be a superior choice for single enemy encounters and isn't. This one skill has massively warped the play space and it is the pointed end of the spear for power creep when there's so many other skills you can say "well this needs a buff because it so under performs compared to BFAW..." The second half of my proposed nerf addresses the fact that not only is BFAW an overwhelmingly great tool for damage, it also provides a huge defensive benefit shooting down incoming projectiles and clearing effects like the Tholian energy ball. BFAW should stay the premier weapon boost for target rich environments, but it needs to be less useful against 1-2 targets and it needs to not be so strong defensively.
    ash352 wrote: »
    Agreed on the first. Not so much on the second since it's removing something the game needs, an AoE clear.

No, it doesn't remove BFAW's functionality as an AoE clear. The first hit on each individual target is at full strength which means in an environment with 4 or more targets (where you'd want an AoE clear) it's almost completely unaffected from its current functionality. "As good as it is now - in the situation it is supposed to be good" is pretty much the opposite of making it totally useless. This is a very targeted nerf, designed to leave BFAW the king of its niche and get it out of the other two niches it's trampling :).
    BFAW should be useful for things like fighters and torps...

That's what point defense consoles, the point defense protocol trait, and the Precise trait are all for (which incidentally more than counteracts the accuracy penalty I'm proposing :)). Auto-turrets too. Plus several of the space magic skills. And volatile plating. The list goes on and on. All those things do their job without simultaneously giving you overwhelming offensive advantage. There's a case to be made that auto-turrets and other point defense tools need to be more accessible, but that's not an excuse to preserve the BFAW-uber-alles situation that's running amok in the game now.
    IMO, people looking to nerf BFAW are barking at the wrong tree. And I say this as a player that hardly uses BFAW. :smile:

As I see it there are three, maybe four trees... Grotesque over-rewarding of the last steps of weapon upgrading and giving a minor shave to Tac Captain ability magnitudes being the other two. Fortunately I have dogs enough to set them on that whole stand of trees if need be. But I prefer to make the smallest adjustments possible that bring about the desired effect ;).

As I see it there are three, maybe four trees... Grotesque over-rewarding of the last steps of weapon upgrading and giving a minor shave to Tac Captain ability magnitudes being the other two. Fortunately I have dogs enough to set them on that whole stand of trees if need be. But I prefer to make the smallest adjustments possible that bring about the desired effect ;).

Even those "over-rewarding" weapon upgrade tiers have little effect. There was a thread in Reddit of a guy doing well over 100k with Mk1 weapons.

Nerfing would probably be the worst option at this point because of all the anger players will bring upon Cryptic. Delta Rising technically acted like a nerf towards player damage output (with higher HP mobs), and we all know how that ended up.

IMO the best course now would be:
    • Buff Engineering and Science professions so that they aren't magnitudes behind Tactical captains
    • Introduce the missing Elites for older content.
    • Create new content that has less emphasis on damage output while also refraining from using timegates (the Tzenkethi missions are steps in the right direction).

Yup. Another solid solution to the WTH?!? happening as a result of the Plasma consoles. Probably better than mine as it doesn't need to offer a buy-back plan ;).

• ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    No, it doesn't remove BFAW's functionality as an AoE clear. The first hit on each individual target is at full strength which means in an environment with 4 or more targets (where you'd want an AoE clear) it's almost completely unaffected from its current functionality. "As good as it is now - in the situation it is supposed to be good" is pretty much the opposite of making it totally useless. This is a very targeted nerf, designed to leave BFAW the king of its niche and get it out of the other two niches it's trampling :).

Except...your suggested nerf does lower the usefulness into the ground for taking those specific things out. Things like fighters and torps have inherent defense bonuses. It's why if you just spam spacebar at the ones shot out by borg and rom's you'll end up missing quite a bit and usually getting hit, since no one stacks Acc anymore, versus hitting BFAW and clearing them completely out. Tossing a massive 1/5 accuracy penalty JUST on fighters and torps and letting it slide for everything else goes far beyond "keeping it in its niche" and outright removes it in favor of nothing. If you want to suggest something at least think about what you're writing and don't just slap something on to make it sound like you're doing an across the board nerf. It needs the accuracy for things with increased def like Fighters and Torps, regular NPC's don't and an accuracy nerf THERE would be warranted.

That's what point defense consoles, the point defense protocol trait, and the Precise trait are all for (which incidentally more than counteracts the accuracy penalty I'm proposing :)). Auto-turrets too. Plus several of the space magic skills. And volatile plating. The list goes on and on. All those things do their job without simultaneously giving you overwhelming offensive advantage. There's a case to be made that auto-turrets and other point defense tools need to be more accessible, but that's not an excuse to preserve the BFAW-uber-alles situation that's running amok in the game now.

So your answer to it is a console locked to one type of ship and lockbox/Doff pack traits? I call BS on your entire line of reasoning there. Complete and utter bull TRIBBLE. Something you should have baseline because the NPCs that use them are part of the main storyline shouldn't have the answer in things like that. I shouldn't have to buy and use a single ship JUST for those enemies nor should I have to rely on gambling or hoping they're affordable on the exchange. Whatever logic you're using to suggest that is so beyond the realm of realistic I want whatever you were smoking to come up with it because you're high as hell to even try it. The fact that you have to even put in that line about "these things should be more accessible" should have clued you in to the utter stupidity of suggesting it.

I'll agree that the damage needs to be lowered or metered out over the amount of enemies in play, NOT removing Accuracy for the two types of things you need the Accuracy there for. There's no reason for that other than wanting to remove the skill from use entirely and if that's your goal just say so so we can move on.
    Ok, suppose those changes were made. What skill would you be putting on your bar instead?
    edited February 2017
    Again, the problem isn't BFAW if someone running the following can deal massive damage in the game:

On a slow as molasses torpedo Sheshar:
    https://youtu.be/5N7Fanil6zY

With cannons:
    https://youtu.be/OEisB_5Zxto

Or even with no weapons:
    https://youtu.be/BKiFPDKpDwk

Or in a build that runs all of the above (cannons, beams, torpedoes, a mine and no plasma consoles) in one ship and still hit over 150k DPS.

https://youtu.be/bvkyltocU28

The powercreep is systemic, and just nerfing BFAW won't help. You can keep nerfing stuff and players like them (and many others) will still perform well above the rest. The only people you'll really hurt are the majority that can hardly get by an advanced STF.

At this point, I think nerfs would hurt the game more than it would help it.

Like it or not, the current powercreep has allowed for a lot of build diversity (which is good in my opinion). What we really need are proper Elite queues to apply that powercreep to.
    Post edited by e30ernest on
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I would definitely nerf EC generation from drops, tour the galaxy, admiralty and any other sources that create EC out of thin air. EC farmers are creating inflation that damages the game economy for everyone else. This is especially damaging for honest traders who earn their EC the right way instead of, essentially, printing money.

???

Am I reading this right? "Earning EC" by playing the game is damaging while "Earning EC" by playing the market is not?
    That is correct. Buying and selling items DOES NOT introduce new EC into the system and does not cause inflation. Creating new EC out of thin air does.
    I'll say this - in a "fixed money" world (ie, there's only 500 trillion EC available to the entire playerbase), and there's "greed" involved, there will eventually be 500 trillionares and the entire rest of the playerbase will be cut out of the economy altogether unless they "cave into the demands" of the Trillionares and supply them with what they want (at whatever prices the trillionares dictate)...
    You're taking it a bit too far. I wouldn't suggest removing the ability to create EC from drops, admiralty etc. I suggested a nerf. That's what this thread is about. "What would you nerf?" Not "what would you remove?"
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Ok, suppose those changes were made. What skill would you be putting on your bar instead?

If BFAW is made entirely garbage at clearing out PVE issues like NPC torps and fighters? Beam Overload in that one slot and apparently eating several rom torps to the face on any character that isn't my main that uses Sci.

Asking what I'll put in that slot doesn't excuse your massive lapse in judgement btw and your reasoning is still stupid.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Torps...oh wait, already done.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    ash352 wrote: »
    If BFAW is made entirely garbage at clearing out PVE issues like NPC torps and fighters? Beam Overload in that one slot and apparently eating several rom torps to the face on any character that isn't my main that uses Sci.

Asking what I'll put in that slot doesn't excuse your massive lapse in judgement btw and your reasoning is still stupid.

Well, fortunately you're not the person I need to convince. And if -20% accuracy = entirely garbage in your universe I trust every single captain you have has the Precision trait? Because, my god man, that must be the most powerful trait EVER in your curious parallel universe ;).
    Well, fortunately you're not the person I need to convince. And if -20% accuracy = entirely garbage in your universe I trust every single captain you have has the Precision trait? Because, my god man, that must be the most powerful trait EVER in your curious parallel universe ;).

I really don't think FAW is the one that needs changing though. The ability itself isn't OP.

BO is pretty much under-powered. It shouldn't be a single shot IMO.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    Well let's see. I would say the whining in the forums and in chat in game. Should be a algorithm figured in to keep the whining in check.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I would nerf the nerf herders.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    honestly while not a popular opinion i would nerf damage across the board and enure it is capped.

Im really feeling fed up of doing pve space that last only a few seconds and damage being the be all end all requirement it makes the game a tad boring and repetitive, i think that if people could take on a borg ship or dreadnought by themselves and take it out in three seconds then it would open up more possibilities for players to spec their ship to do different roles.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    honestly while not a popular opinion i would nerf damage across the board and enure it is capped.

Im really feeling fed up of doing pve space that last only a few seconds and damage being the be all end all requirement it makes the game a tad boring and repetitive, i think that if people could take on a borg ship or dreadnought by themselves and take it out in three seconds then it would open up more possibilities for players to spec their ship to do different roles.

What parts of the aspects of damage dealing would you nerf (or cap lol)?

The list is long and no matter what you nerf it would hurt everybody using it, no matter if he does 1k or 100k with it.

If you are unsatisfied with the match durations you experience why not play elite space maps? Since only minor parts in most of them are shortened by DPS perhaps you get the match duration you desire there.

Be careful though, most of them have some hard DPS checks in them nonetheless. Not good enough and fail. But hey, not a problem I take it for as long as it took you long enough to do so eh?

There is nothing more satisfying in all of STO than to fail the boss fight in counterpoint elite after you closed rifts and transported troops for 15 minutes flat.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

What parts of the aspects of damage dealing would you nerf (or cap lol)?

The list is long and no matter what you nerf it would hurt everybody using it, no matter if he does 1k or 100k with it.

If you are unsatisfied with the match durations you experience why not play elite space maps? Since only minor parts in most of them are shortened by DPS perhaps you get the match duration you desire there.

Be careful though, most of them have some hard DPS checks in them nonetheless. Not good enough and fail. But hey, not a problem I take it for as long as it took you long enough to do so eh?

There is nothing more satisfying in all of STO than to fail the boss fight in counterpoint elite after you closed rifts and transported troops for 15 minutes flat.
    it not just duration's that bothers me long ago you could actually do Advanced (before the revamp so advanced was the highest lvl) where you could have your ship specked out to actually tank or have a ship specked to support/ heal allies.

Now it is all about damage and since elite requires you to do damage to earn any rewards it has made even creating a support ship pointless.

As for how i would do it i honestly dont know without data but once i had it i would try to cap all damage that a player can deal id still try to keep it high enough so players could try to max out their builds but not so much they are a one man wrecking ball which would probably include boosting hull/shields and damage of npc ships but again id have to know the numbers.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Instead of nerfing damage, make more mechanics that force players to think outside the DPS box. Real bosses that require strategy instead of inflated-HP ships would be a start.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2017
    Congrats guys. OP gets a nerf, replies get nerfs, everybody will soon get a nerf!
    Post edited by lucho80 on