test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beating a dead horse - Captain as highest endgame rank.

Comments

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Admiral is a bloody desk job.

tell that to Admiral Nelson, injured in battle and almost killed on several occasions and finally killed at Trafalgar while commanding HMS Victory, as an Admiral he had a more colourful career at sea then some captains.
    he was a true hero.

He did not command HMS Victory. That ship merely flew his flag. He had a FLAG CAPTAIN who actually commanded his ship.

I really wish people would understand what a Fleet commander really does and how ship commands really work.

Example I was part of 11th MEU 2006. I was station aboard USS Peleliu LHA-5 which was the flagship of Expeditionary Strike Group 3. Aboard the Peleliu, was 11th MEU commander which was a Colonel who lead the Marines, the Peleliu's commander who was a full bird Captain, then there was the 1 star marine general who commanded the strike group(it was unusual for a marine general to be incharge instead of an admiral, but it's who we had).

Now having laid all that out, the 1 star general DID NOT command the ship, nor did the MEU commander. THE CAPTAIN DID. The Strike group commander merely told the ship commander his marching orders on where to take the ship then got the hell out of the way while the Captain got on with the business of running HIS SHIP.

Now how does this apply to Nelson? Nelson did NOT command Victory. Samuel Sutton was the ship's commander, Victory was just where Nelson flew his flag and commanded the FLEET, not Victory.

Your welcome on a lesson on how flag officers and flagships work.

Admiral Nelson was aboard the HMS Victory as explained in this line from an account of his death "As Nelson watched from the deck of the HMS Victory the battle soon turned into a confused melee of combat between individual ships." he may have had a flag captain but as Admiral he was in command of the whole fleet including the HMS Victory and there he died as the account continues "a French sharpshooter took aim at a prized target on the deck of the Victory, fired and sent a musket ball into Nelson's left shoulder. Continuing its journey, the bullet tore a path through the Admiral's upper body before smashing into his lower back. It was a mortal wound." therefore he was killed at Trafalgar while commanding HMS Victory as I stated.
    the mere fact that he was also commanding other ships in the fleet is not important for this discussion.

and it was not Samuel Sutton who commanded the Victory but Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy as in the quote:

"Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, 1st Baronet GCB served as flag captain to Admiral Lord Nelson, and commanded HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in October 1805"

so get your facts strait.

but regardless of any of that I stand by my point that being an Admiral does not mean having a desk job.

Your welcome on a lesson on history.

But it does not mean that an Admiral sits in the Hot chair. And yes Nelson still commanded the fleet, even in the middle of the chaos of Trafalgar.

He at no point was CAPTAIN. Victory was simply where he flew his flag. And when not in that battle, guess where he was most of the time. Sitting behind a desk doing a LOT of paperwork in his office aboard ship.

I never said he was captain just that he was commanding that ship as he was the whole fleet and as you are with all the ships you use in the Admiralty feature and the same with the one you are aboard (using) and is your current flag ship and just as Admiral kirk did in the first movie.
    many often nit-pick sto for not being canon and yet here we have something that is most definitely canon and players are complaining.

you can also imagine your character is "Sitting behind a desk doing a LOT of paperwork in his office aboard ship" when your not playing.

the point being it was inferred by the "desk job" comment that an Admiral would never be aboard a ship commanding it but in some land based office pen pushing and my example proves this is not always the case.

However in this game we ARE sitting in the Captain's chair. We're making the ship calls, not commanding a fleet. Though I guess the Admiralty system is a lame attempt at doing so.

Though my Own head canon is the fact the person who's my "First Officer" in my DOFF system is actually in command of USS Cyclone(my defiant class ship) and I just happen to ride along from time to time, and where I really fly my flag(and yes this ship also has a "Captain") is USS Ark Royal(jupiter class) which has my flag bridge and I command my squadron from there.

sigh.

as has been established an Admiral may well be on the bridge quite frequently especially if there is some crises like a battle raging (as was the case with the afore mentioned Admiral Nelson who was killed in battle while doing just that) or while he is giving orders to the crew, and by the by where do you think the captain is when all is quiet, in their office (ready room) doing paper work (aka desk job) as was often seen in TNG with captain Picard and Voyager with captain Janeway.

sorry guys but no matter which way you cut it a star fleet Admiral could just as easily be commanding a starship as a captain could.
    you might not like that fact but that's just the way it is, I'm afraid you lost this argument before you started it (before you were born even).

And on any navy that's a MAJOR breach of etiquette. infact the captain as master of the ship is well within his rights to order the Admiral off his deck and let him command his own ship.

And you really don't know. In the Nelson situation he would not be giving orders to the crew, he'd pass it along to the CAPTAIN, and the CAPTAIN would carry it out.

If you really want to know how an Admiral preforms with a captain, I really suggest you read David Weber's "Short Victorious War". Weber really nails how an Admiral functions on a flagship and the relationship an Admiral has with his Flag Captain.

How it really works is as follows. Admiral gives the orders to the Captain, the captain goes about passing the orders to his crew and sending the signals to the rest of the squadron, freeing up the Admiral to think about future decisions and strategies.

An Admiral does not sit there and go point by point over the decisions with the crew. That's asinine and a waste of his time, he's got an entire squadron/fleet to worry about, not a single ship!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]You say trivial but describe something that isn't.....
    Changing a text string is trivial among adults. Replacing a variable is not a lot harder in the age of "search and replace". You have to look a bit at what you are doing, sure, but that's why I wrote a man-day, not 5 minutes.
    You keep saying "a".... but it's not. what you want is for them to change every single time the game checks your rank. I don't even know how many thousand that is.
    The number of instances the tag appears in is largely irrelevant. "Replace All" has been invented. Even if required to manually confirm each instance before replacement, that would be a one-click affair.

Or they could just keep the existing tag and change the code behind it to point to the "title" field in the player record instead of "rank."
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

tell that to Admiral Nelson, injured in battle and almost killed on several occasions and finally killed at Trafalgar while commanding HMS Victory, as an Admiral he had a more colourful career at sea then some captains.
    he was a true hero.

He did not command HMS Victory. That ship merely flew his flag. He had a FLAG CAPTAIN who actually commanded his ship.

I really wish people would understand what a Fleet commander really does and how ship commands really work.

Example I was part of 11th MEU 2006. I was station aboard USS Peleliu LHA-5 which was the flagship of Expeditionary Strike Group 3. Aboard the Peleliu, was 11th MEU commander which was a Colonel who lead the Marines, the Peleliu's commander who was a full bird Captain, then there was the 1 star marine general who commanded the strike group(it was unusual for a marine general to be incharge instead of an admiral, but it's who we had).

Now having laid all that out, the 1 star general DID NOT command the ship, nor did the MEU commander. THE CAPTAIN DID. The Strike group commander merely told the ship commander his marching orders on where to take the ship then got the hell out of the way while the Captain got on with the business of running HIS SHIP.

Now how does this apply to Nelson? Nelson did NOT command Victory. Samuel Sutton was the ship's commander, Victory was just where Nelson flew his flag and commanded the FLEET, not Victory.

Admiral Nelson was aboard the HMS Victory as explained in this line from an account of his death "As Nelson watched from the deck of the HMS Victory the battle soon turned into a confused melee of combat between individual ships." he may have had a flag captain but as Admiral he was in command of the whole fleet including the HMS Victory and there he died as the account continues "a French sharpshooter took aim at a prized target on the deck of the Victory, fired and sent a musket ball into Nelson's left shoulder. Continuing its journey, the bullet tore a path through the Admiral's upper body before smashing into his lower back. It was a mortal wound." therefore he was killed at Trafalgar while commanding HMS Victory as I stated.
    the mere fact that he was also commanding other ships in the fleet is not important for this discussion.

and it was not Samuel Sutton who commanded the Victory but Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy as in the quote:

"Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, 1st Baronet GCB served as flag captain to Admiral Lord Nelson, and commanded HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in October 1805"

but regardless of any of that I stand by my point that being an Admiral does not mean having a desk job.

But it does not mean that an Admiral sits in the Hot chair. And yes Nelson still commanded the fleet, even in the middle of the chaos of Trafalgar.

He at no point was CAPTAIN. Victory was simply where he flew his flag. And when not in that battle, guess where he was most of the time. Sitting behind a desk doing a LOT of paperwork in his office aboard ship.

I never said he was captain just that he was commanding that ship as he was the whole fleet and as you are with all the ships you use in the Admiralty feature and the same with the one you are aboard (using) and is your current flag ship and just as Admiral kirk did in the first movie.
    many often nit-pick sto for not being canon and yet here we have something that is most definitely canon and players are complaining.

you can also imagine your character is "Sitting behind a desk doing a LOT of paperwork in his office aboard ship" when your not playing.

the point being it was inferred by the "desk job" comment that an Admiral would never be aboard a ship commanding it but in some land based office pen pushing and my example proves this is not always the case.

However in this game we ARE sitting in the Captain's chair. We're making the ship calls, not commanding a fleet. Though I guess the Admiralty system is a lame attempt at doing so.

Though my Own head canon is the fact the person who's my "First Officer" in my DOFF system is actually in command of USS Cyclone(my defiant class ship) and I just happen to ride along from time to time, and where I really fly my flag(and yes this ship also has a "Captain") is USS Ark Royal(jupiter class) which has my flag bridge and I command my squadron from there.

sigh.

as has been established an Admiral may well be on the bridge quite frequently especially if there is some crises like a battle raging (as was the case with the afore mentioned Admiral Nelson who was killed in battle while doing just that) or while he is giving orders to the crew, and by the by where do you think the captain is when all is quiet, in their office (ready room) doing paper work (aka desk job) as was often seen in TNG with captain Picard and Voyager with captain Janeway.

sorry guys but no matter which way you cut it a star fleet Admiral could just as easily be commanding a starship as a captain could.
    you might not like that fact but that's just the way it is, I'm afraid you lost this argument before you started it (before you were born even).

Which implies that just because something has always been done that way means that it will always be done the same way. And since the subject matter is a (fictional) future organisation I fail to see how applying contemporary standards to the scenario is relevant.

he was a true hero.

sigh.

Which implies that just because something has always been done that way means that it will always be done the same way. And since the subject matter is a (fictional) future organisation I fail to see how applying contemporary standards to the scenario is relevant.

although part of my examples is indeed fictional part of it is factual, until you can prove that Admiral nelson was shot by enemy while sitting at a desk in his land office you argument falls flat on its face.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,147 Community Moderator
    I just want to say one thing about HOW much this dead horse has been beaten by now.

116cac5c-590c-40ce-8c9a-a2239c9ade73.jpg
    The Dead Horse is now the consistency of MASHED POTATOES!

In game rank aside, you can just run around with the Title and Pips that show Captain, and headcanon yourself as a Captain. Changing the game to accommodate Captain as the highest would take way too much coding, and probably break the STF Borg somehow.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

he was a true hero.

sigh.

he was a true hero.

sigh.

although part of my examples is indeed fictional part of it is factual, until you can prove that Admiral nelson was shot by enemy while sitting at a desk in his land office you argument falls flat on its face.

Yes he was shot on the deck of his flagship leading his FLEET. His CAPTAIN was actually fighting the ship, barking orders to the crew, picking targets, etc etc. All the admiral did was give the orders, and get the hell out of the way, and maybe pass orders for a new signal to be flown to pass orders along.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016

Changing a text string is trivial among adults. Replacing a variable is not a lot harder in the age of "search and replace". You have to look a bit at what you are doing, sure, but that's why I wrote a man-day, not 5 minutes.

You make it sound like it's a simple search and replace... It's not! Unless you're simply asking them to stop referring to anyone by their rank and instead always call them Captain regardless of what rank they are. Then if you're going to make it so the USER gets to decide which option or Title they go by Captain, Commander, etc... that's new coding to enable the choice.

This argument is pointless. It seems clear the person who created this thread is trying to argue a lost cause to upset the community by the very title itself 'beating a dead horse'.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016

he was a true hero.

sigh.

he was a true hero.

sigh.

Yes he was shot on the deck of his flagship leading his FLEET. His CAPTAIN was actually fighting the ship, barking orders to the crew, picking targets, etc etc. All the admiral did was give the orders, and get the hell out of the way, and maybe pass orders for a new signal to be flown to pass orders along.

your splitting hairs, the captain may have been giving orders to the crew but he was only passing on orders that were given by the Admiral and as such he was just a puppet and the Admiral was the puppet master the one in ultimate command of that ship and the rest of the fleet.
    much in the same way a first officer might pass on orders to the crew that were given by the captain its just the chain of command and out at sea in the time of Admiral nelson or in deep space in the time of federation star ships it is the Admiral who is in ultimate command if he is aboard his flag ship.

you might want to bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn't so and keep coming up with lame reasons why it is the captain who is ultimately in charge of the ship but no matter what you say it doesn't alter the fact that it is the Admiral who is ultimately in charge.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    [...] what you want is for them to change every single time the game checks your rank. I don't even know how many thousand that is.
    . o O (Hm, maybe the hint to "search and replace" wasn' clear enough? Or is this a language thing? Was I accidentally writing in German?)
    That doesn't work in programming like you think it does. You actually think a single search and replace could change every piece of dialog in every mission in the game? yeah, no.
    And really... it's not civil to insinuate that the devs haven't done this because they aren't adults.
    That is true, that is not civil. So it is good nobody did that. What I pointed out is that it is trivial to do, unless we assume the people doing it are not adults. Which you seem to. ;)
    right... and I have a bridge in Svalbard to sell you....
    They haven't done this because they (as a team) don't care about the whole issue, at least not enough to sit down and fix the problem that has been haunting the forums for years. They certainly could, if there was an incentive for them to do so.
    It's not a problem, it's a waste of time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    It's amusing how some folks assume Cryptic's code is clearly written, commented, and not spaghetti in the least.

Do you remember Exploration Clusters? Do you remember why they went away? They went away because over time, they became Exploration Clusterfraks. Targets would spawn below ground on planets, combat groups would simply not appear in space, and every attempt to fix them just made them worse.

Or, of course, my usual go-to example - when Champions Online introduced vehicles a few years back, and that, for reasons I have yet to comprehend, broke Cryptic's global chat for two weeks. The two systems aren't even vaguely related, but there you go.

Just because it's simple to conceive of a workaround for this whole "rank/title" thing, do not make the mistake of assuming it would be simple to execute.

Oh, and Bobby, in historical usage, the admiral does not command the ship he's on - Nelson did not command that ship. The admiral commands the fleet; it's up to each ship's captain to command his ship in such a fashion that the ship carries out the admiral's orders. If Admiral Lord Nelson had tried to order the helm to a given course, the helmsman would have been required to refuse to accept the order until it was given by his captain, because the Admiral is not in command of that vessel. Do you see the difference yet?​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's amusing how some folks assume Cryptic's code is clearly written, commented, and not spaghetti in the least.

If that was oh so terrible, we could never get any expansions or new seasons or new features ever. If you look at what else they are perfectly capable of doing, it is obvious that editing the variables in the text boxes is a trivial problem.

No, the reason they don't do this is because they don't want to spend even the tiniest amount of work on it, and nothing but that. That may have understandable economic reasons (hence the zen purchase suggestion), or it may be sheer stubbornness to stick with a bad decision that was made many years ago.

Have you spent any time in a Computer Programming class that required more than 100 lines of code in a program and spending too much time trying to figure out why the program won't work properly? Professional programmers could spend an entire day working on a program due to a comma or semicolon missing.
  • Options
    rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    You keep saying "a".... but it's not. what you want is for them to change every single time the game checks your rank. I don't even know how many thousand that is.

And really... it's not civil to insinuate that the devs haven't done this because they aren't adults.

It would take some scripting, certainly more than one line of text and it would probably cause a few more issues that would need to be resolved.

Honestly it seems like more trouble than it would be worth. I'd rather have other game related things worked on.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Once we achieve the Admiralty ranks, it is clearly evident that some of the thought process in the game was dodgy on the part of its creators. Admirals do not take their marching orders from subordinate ranks, no matter what the situation and this happens over and again. Very off-putting!
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    [...]
    Have you spent any time in a Computer Programming class that required more than 100 lines of code in a program and spending too much time trying to figure out why the program won't work properly? Professional programmers could spend an entire day working on a program due to a comma or semicolon missing.
    1. Yes, I have.
    2. That is utterly irrelevant.

How is "please replace the rank variable in the dialogue texts with a chosen title variable" in any way complicated? The chance for accidentally adding a regex or semicolon or whatever is zero if the person doing it isn't doing ridiculous things.
    Oh really? What programming language? I've learned how to use a few myself.

How is it irrelevant to point out that making thousands of changes to the game would require testing all of those thousands to make sure they actually work?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    [...]Oh really? What programming language? I've learned how to use a few myself.
    Is this a thread about my professional biography now? (Actually, I believe answering your question would be a TOS violation.)
    How is it irrelevant
    You were asking about my skills in order to insinuate that anything I say could not possibly be guided by knowing what I am talking about. That is a very low ad hominem that just happens to not work. An ad hominem it still is, though. Who I am, what I have done, what I am skilled to do, that is utterly irrelevant. If what I say is false, prove it, not with assertions or attacks on the person saying something you don't like, but with actual evidence.

My evidence that this is easily doable is every single season and expansion the game developer team has created, all of which included much more complicated changes to the game code than a trivial matter such as the one we're discussing here.

Mark, really. Just stop. You have no point whatsoever.
    Actually YOU started it by making extravagant claims about how easy it would be:
    The time that would be required is a man-day or so, maybe at most a man-week, depending on the implementation chosen. That is the point: A small change that would be a big improvement. There is no serious competition between this and any other thing they could work on. It is just so trivial, and yet would be so useful for the game, that it is just a reasonable request.
    Granted, most people wouldn't consider a man-day or man-week "trivial" but I digress...

And like I said before, you haven't been engaging in civil discourse:
    you're bashing the devs based on little more than personal (and probably highly optimistic) speculation as to how easy this would be.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    The work required to replace the rank tags in game text depends on the file format used to store it. For plain text, a "search and replace" that works across multiple files is trivial even with free software and certainly with a professional IDE, allowing one to replace every instance of the tag in seconds. But of course if the text that must be changed is stored in some nonstandard proprietary format, that may not be available and they'd be left with whatever tools they have for editing that format. The speculation on which is pointless, as we don't know anything about it.

Mission text is almost certainly not hardcoded in program code, so all that talk about missing semicolons and whatnot is also pointless.

And as I already noted, the easiest way to do this would not be to replace all the rank tags in all the game text, but simply change the tag itself to point to a different variable (title instead of rank). If the purpose is to implement the change game-wide that is, which it logically should be. Theoretically this could be as simple as changing one line of code. In any case, the number of times the tag is used in-game would have no bearing on it. Again, baseless speculation on the quality of Cryptic's code is pointless.

Last, noting that something would likely be easy to do is not "bashing the devs." It's pointing out that the likely reason the title is not used for NPC text is because people in charge don't see it as an important option, rather than because it would be difficult to do. If we're wrong about it being easy, the people who actually know how much work it would be can correct us if they want.
  • Options
    How about we just leave it at only the devs know how complicated implementing this will be since they use proprietary code that is not available to players. So it is pointless arguing about it and only dev confirmation will inform us how difficult implementing this will be.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    If all that is required for that is changing the stupid decision to make a Star Trek Hero an Admiral into something better, then that is worth a lot to do it.

Stupid decision? Look at Star Trek history and all the heroes. Captain Kirk. Captain Picard. Captain Janeway. Captain Archer...

...oh. Right.​​

Yes, but Kirk's the only one who still did heroics after the promotion...and he got demoted for doing it.

Lol, maybe when they roll out the next level cap raise, the L70 rank will be captain again because we get demoted for being too heroic. :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,396 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

If that was oh so terrible, we could never get any expansions or new seasons or new features ever. If you look at what else they are perfectly capable of doing, it is obvious that editing the variables in the text boxes is a trivial problem.

No, the reason they don't do this is because they don't want to spend even the tiniest amount of work on it, and nothing but that. That may have understandable economic reasons (hence the zen purchase suggestion), or it may be sheer stubbornness to stick with a bad decision that was made many years ago.

My personal record was 183 errors, and a day and a half poring over the code, originating with one missing semicolon on one line of code in the Data Division of a COBOL program. (Weird things can happen when you've been coding for eighteen hours straight because someone higher up decided it was high time we replace all the antiquated FORTRAN '77 programs with COBOL. Now.)

Adding more game is more code, Soph, not altering existing code. And yes, in the years I've been here, it's been every bit that terrible. TRIBBLE, it's already a bit of standard knowledge that you shouldn't expect to be able to play the game properly for at least a week after any "season" release!​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    If all that is required for that is changing the stupid decision to make a Star Trek Hero an Admiral into something better, then that is worth a lot to do it.

Stupid decision? Look at Star Trek history and all the heroes. Captain Kirk. Captain Picard. Captain Janeway. Captain Archer...

...oh. Right.​​

Yes, but Kirk's the only one who still did heroics after the promotion...and he got demoted for doing it.

Lol, maybe when they roll out the next level cap raise, the L70 rank will be captain again because we get demoted for being too heroic. :D

Nope it will be the President of the Federation followed by Supreme Master of the Galaxy at level 80, Ultimate Supreme Master of the Universe at level 90, and finally the Grand Poobah of All That Ever Was and Will Be at level 100.
  • Options
    Are you actually implying there will be another level cap increase when Cryptic has already said the whole point of specializations is to allow for post level 50-60 character development without needing to raise the level cap?

Yes.

There is always more.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Are you actually implying there will be another level cap increase when Cryptic has already said the whole point of specializations is to allow for post level 50-60 character development without needing to raise the level cap?

Yes.

There is always more.

It's possible that there will be a level increase when all possible T6 ships have been released and the gros of the playerbase bought them all. That's when the T6 increase came around bbecause T5 ships were at their limit and four years old.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou