test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beating a dead horse - Captain as highest endgame rank.

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Greetings Captains!

I've been reading this argument between ship captains rage on for page after page, with each captain offering their take on the idea of added customization being done to allow for the game to call you captain at a more frequent rate. I was thinking of putting this in my captain's log, to maybe preserve for other captains to someday read about when they discover it among the records of all things my captain has done in Starfleet while being a ship's captain.

But then I just figured I'd take this message directly to the community of captains right here, and not at the Captain's Table, because as captains who have been in command of starfleet vessels for so long, surely a consensus or a solution could be obtained?

I mean, when I first became a ship's captain my rank was ensign and the Vega colony was threatened. I've known Lt. Commanders who captained vessels and let me tell you, as captains, they were pretty darn good! And even now, when I meet an admiral serving as ship's captain, it's always nice to interact with a fellow captain!

So my solution is thus Captains:
    Have the game refer to everyone in text as Captain. Regardless of their rank. It's a bit of a longform, text based solution that may require some type editing on a lot of individual missions. But it falls in line with how the moniker of captain actually gets used in naval parlance.

This also allows individual captains to customize their experience to suit them and their own playstyle. You are an Admiral and still want to be an Admiral? You can do just that. Keep your fancy pips/braids/flag officer-ness and rank for all to see. You want to be seen as just a captain though? Visit the tailor, change your title, and viola, you can now look the part of Captain and the game will refer to you as captain. You could also even Role Play things with your friends where you're a Commander, Lt., or whatever.

Problem solved captains!

Enjoy your shore leave.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    also, I don't think it'd be a good thing if the devs made it so you were stuck with NPCs calling you by your title. That'd be a nice option, but I never use ranks as titles, and "Bane of the Tal'Shiar" seems like something that'd be awkward in conversations...

then there's Praetor. :D people joke about being promoted to president of the universe..... Well... the Praetor title is for the head of the imperial military.... of the RSE. The Feds, KDF, and Republic don't use that title.

as the poster previous to your one here said, nobody else sees the text on your screen anyway so really and truly it is nobody's business but your own which title you use, if you happen to like a title that looks awkward or unrealistic when you read it you only have yourself to blame for choosing a title like that but at the end of the day it will only be you that will suffer the consequences anyway so it shouldn't matter to anyone else.
    add to this the fact that quite often your rank or name is not used in voiceovers which again other players wouldn't hear anyway and I don't see as it really matters to anyone other then the player themselves.
    if a player finds that the title he has chosen is bothersome it is up to him if he wants to change it for something more fitting or stick with it regardless.

of course there is always the other option that was mentioned before and that is stop using ranks in future altogether in dialogue boxes full stop which would basically appease players who don't like to be addressed by Admiral without the possibility of causing any problems with NPC dialogue.

it may also be easier for the devs to just remove any instances where @rank (or whatever) is used rather then having to mess around replacing it with @title (or whatever) in older dialogues.

perhaps it will be preferable to players who might be bothered being addressed as Admiral if they are not addressed at all.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    warpangel wrote: »
    also, I don't think it'd be a good thing if the devs made it so you were stuck with NPCs calling you by your title. That'd be a nice option, but I never use ranks as titles, and "Bane of the Tal'Shiar" seems like something that'd be awkward in conversations...
    While having a separate title option for NPC address and player display would be possible, the question of why remains unanswered. Why would you choose a title you don't want to be known by?
    In many cases it's an epithet. Like "Grimborg the Annihilator".... would not get be addressed as "annihilator"...

Anyways, the title you chose for your character IS something other players see. It's part of what makes them fun. Also, many of them are not easy to get, thus they come with bragging rights. Like Praetor.... You have to shoot a lot of Romulans in ground combat to get that one.

My entire point is that changing it from always using your rank, to always using your title will create as many or more problems than it could possibly solve. Thus to be a beneficial change worthy of the time it'd take to implement, it'd need to give the player a choice between them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]
    Guys, you've made how long in this game without going catatonic over a semantics "issue" in the game without your brains imploding, I think that you can walk it off, and enjoy the game again.

I do not believe anyone is implying we are not enjoying the game. We are just giving feedback how, with a simple adjustment, we could enjoy it more. That's what feedback is supposed to be like.

Perhaps that is True sophlogimo and I can say it nice to see you being a little more civil, than just in pure denial for anyone who does not agree that it's a simple change. Because as you say it's just a matter of replacing a single variable... The problem comes in giving someone the choice to being called by their rank or captain in countless missions, text dialogs, and where is the choice designated in the User Interface[/color]; not to mention other linkages of coding that may have made other assumptions no one can assume even a programmer without having some familiarity with the code itself.

Seems the only thing that is trivial is why you can't accept seeing "Admiral" in plain text, if you still even read the dialog the voice actor's speak aloud for you as they don't ever say your rank. :*

I almost wish someone would close this thread... Somehow you've still managed to be extremely successful in getting a lot of people to post far more than normal in many far more engaging subjects you'd think would interest people far more. For that alone I think you're Captain deserves the promotion to Admiral. :p
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    nephitis wrote: »
    For the sake of the discussion... let's just say it is an easy fix so everyone can move on.
    Instead, let's discuss as to why Cryptic should even bother with, what I would consider, a rather insignificant and trivial matter.

Why is this so important to some players?

Because it's all about character customization. Something Cryptic does a fantastic job of everywhere else in the game.

You can customize ships. You can customize character looks. You can even customize 'uniforms'.

But you can't customize what NPCs address you as? (Even with that customized rank you are wearing?)

Following the 'insignificant and trivial' logic you've presented, they ought to make everyone wear exactly the same thing (with Fleet Admiral rank glued to the collar) and fly the exact same ship at end game - with only careers making a difference (a single Tac ship for tac officers, sci ship for sci officers, and eng ship for engineers).

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun being locked into something like that does it?
    (Though some people wouldn't care, because it just so happens that was the ship and uniform they wanted anyway).
  • Options
    rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    nephitis wrote: »
    For the sake of the discussion... let's just say it is an easy fix so everyone can move on.
    Instead, let's discuss as to why Cryptic should even bother with, what I would consider, a rather insignificant and trivial matter.

Why is this so important to some players?

I agree. Its really not that important, and there are plenty of other things the devs could spend their time working on.
  • Options
    rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Not being a "canon purist" or not buying into the myth of gene does not equal being a casual fan.

True that. But I'll save my thoughts on it for another thread.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    FROM FCT

Rank/Level change threads
    These come up a lot and the answer has been, no it's not happening. It also sparks huge debates that turn into flame wars.

@jodarkrider
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    FROM FCT

These come up a lot and the answer has been, no it's not happening. It also sparks huge debates that turn into flame wars.

That the same FCT thread that said the answer was No, an end-game Connie was never happening, and that those discussions always turned into flame wars?

I feel like that thread doesn't really serve much purpose other than sparking its own set of flame wars and antagonistic responses to what typically amounts to being genuine feedback that the developers do say they want.

Is this something that gets asked for a lot?
    Yes.

That alone has value to the development team. Day after day, year after year, if something keeps getting requested, we may eventually hit the right time, with the right set of resources and schedule that the development team CAN go and address this particular request.

Shutting down that kind of feedback I feel does a disservice to the point of the forums in the first place. If the topic gets out of hand, it should be moderated. And it likely will. And that's what we have moderators for. But stifling the very concept of even asking for the feedback? That's the wrong approach.

I'm a go back in game now and fly my T6 Connie. The very same ship that the FCT thread says was never going to happen, and to this very day still hasn't been fully updated to reflect that (it's last update was only to mention the Kelvin Timeline lockbox, and it hasn't been updated since the actual T6 Temporal Light Cruiser was impelented).

TLDR: The FCT thread is and always has been a detriment to these forums. I'd just let people talk about what they want to talk about, and if it gets too off track or too much of a flamewar, then let the mods do their jobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    FROM FCT

That the same FCT thread that said the answer was No, an end-game Connie was never happening, and that those discussions always turned into flame wars?

I feel like that thread doesn't really serve much purpose other than sparking its own set of flame wars and antagonistic responses to what typically amounts to being genuine feedback that the developers do say they want.

Yes.

That alone has value to the development team. Day after day, year after year, if something keeps getting requested, we may eventually hit the right time, with the right set of resources and schedule that the development team CAN go and address this particular request.

Shutting down that kind of feedback I feel does a disservice to the point of the forums in the first place. If the topic gets out of hand, it should be moderated. And it likely will. And that's what we have moderators for. But stifling the very concept of even asking for the feedback? That's the wrong approach.

I'm a go back in game now and fly my T6 Connie. The very same ship that the FCT thread says was never going to happen, and to this very day still hasn't been fully updated to reflect that (it's last update was only to mention the Kelvin Timeline lockbox, and it hasn't been updated since the actual T6 Temporal Light Cruiser was impelented).

TLDR: The FCT thread is and always has been a detriment to these forums. I'd just let people talk about what they want to talk about, and if it gets too off track or too much of a flamewar, then let the mods do their jobs.

indeed how many times was it asked for the chance to get past event items like ships and such and we all said it would never happen and then they started the phoenix pack event which gave players the very chance they had been asking for, a very slim chance in some cases but a chance all the same.

just shows if you ask often enough you might get a change even if its not the ideal change you might have been hoping for.

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    FROM FCT

Yes.

indeed how many times was it asked for the chance to get past event items like ships and such and we all said it would never happen and then they started the phoenix pack event which gave players the very chance they had been asking for, a very slim chance in some cases but a chance all the same.

just shows if you ask often enough you might get a change even if its not the ideal change you might have been hoping for.

In other words, @bobbydazlers is saying, if you hold your breath, stomp your feet, and keep posting the same few topics over and over, Cryptic will slapit behind a paywall and give it to you. Then when you post that it is behind a paywall, the rest of us can laugh when you post, "add TRIBBLE to the C-store".
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually... It's not so much "We will never do that ever" as it is "we have no plans to do that"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cidjack wrote: »
    FROM FCT

Yes.

In other words, @bobbydazlers is saying, if you hold your breath, stomp your feet, and keep posting the same few topics over and over, Cryptic will slapit behind a paywall and give it to you. Then when you post that it is behind a paywall, the rest of us can laugh when you post, "add **** to the C-store".

that about sums it up.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Despite the title, this thread is really about NPCs addressing you by title, not changing level ranks.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    interesting.