test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a suggestion to lower dps without direct debuff

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I wouldn't just dps based on a handful of tac players at 375-400k.These are specialitist and nothing you want will stop them from doing what they do.

Most of the players base is around 10k..only 3% of dpsers are in the 100k or higher catagoy.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    I am confused, right from the get go the devs said the game would have minimal to no PvP balance and I accepted that on PC. On PS4 I hardly see any pugs even clearing advanced atm. So why are we nerfing stuff?

No they didn't, they said that some time after Snix left (I think it was snix, hard to remember all the devs). Basically when they realised that F2P required them to churn out powercreep.

The console version has got all the features of the PC.

Why do we want stuff nerfed? Because there's no challenge in an STF that can be solo played and a Crystalline Entity that dies in before it gets a chance to fire a pulse. All the powercreep they've introduced over the years has made it all a boring breeze. Meanwhile those who haven't caught up get hit with AFK penalties, because they don't do comparable damage.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Delete
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I have a radical idea - rather than the standard "Nerf ALL The Things!", how about the Devs rescript the AI for the NPCs?
    Restricting or reducing the amount of damage output a miniscule part of the playerbase can achieve will only affect said miniscule part of the player base and not the rest of us.

Yeah. Okay. Riiight. What're you smokin' and did you bring enough for everybody?

First off, put abilities and gear on the NPC ships which are smart choices. Namely, the same choices a Human player makes when loading out the same ship. A better AI which makes intelligent choices and actually uses some of the native abilities of the ships would be a better deal all round. Imagine having a Cube retreat from combat to repower and equalize its shields. Or a wing of Hidekis which attacks from two directions at once. Imagine one of those 100k+ ships stalking an NPC who promptly turns on both FBP and TR. And then follows this up with TBR. DPS has become the norm in this game because it is the easiest and fastest way to code for it. The Devs get content out with minimal effort and expense.

This would take money and man hours Cryptic may not have with the console portion of the game being active. The suits probably wouldn't allow it because it immediately impacts the bottom line without an obvious R.O.I. Always trust an accountant or comptroller to never look past the end of his nose.

The payoff for Cryptic would be a game which is much more satisfying to play. Which makes people play more and more often.
    And also talk about the game to others in a more positive light.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I have a radical idea - rather than the standard "Nerf ALL The Things!", how about the Devs rescript the AI for the NPCs?

They have done actions like this. In their newer content. The Temporal PVE maps are a pretty good example of this. The Doomsday map being a prime example of AI script changes.

This really is an issue of people simply wanting to make dated content harder, which isn't that high a priority for the dev team since they're busy making new things (and notice I'm saying it's not a high priority ... it may still happen someday as older content does get revised). ISA and CCA are some of the oldest group maps in the game. As players ... it's time to move on. Use them for what most of the people out there are using them for ... testing. And then go take your tested build/ship/gear and fight something new. Possibly even on ELITE difficulty.

Move forward with the game! Huzzah!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Over reactions, again. I am not suggesting Cryptic do this for all of the content, but surely the parts that get played more often would not be too much to ask. As to 'parts of the game no one plays any more" What about all those new people who are seing it for the first time? Just because you and your buddies have been playing this game since before Steve Jobs and Bill Gates invented the personal computer, does not mean every one else has.

A 300k DPS NPC. Hmmm. Didn't we already have this with the original Astika in DR? Sophlogimo, you know damn good and well that was not what I was suggesting. Stop acting like you aren't smart enough to understand what I posted. It is not a good look on you, playing dense on purpose. You're just playing to the crowd, as usual.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    As I stated several months back, fast CCAs are generally caused by 1-2 players in the entire team. It's not uncommon for me to see CCA runs that go like these (my last 3 CCA runs):

SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [01:06] DMG(DPS) -
    TRIBBLE: 9.79M(155.95K)
    TRIBBLE: 171.68K(11.22K)
    TRIBBLE: 279.83K(5.68K)
    TRIBBLE: 44.97K(2.85K)
    TRIBBLE: 147.72K(2.36K)
    TRIBBLE: 85.19K(2.14K)
    TRIBBLE: 100.97K(1.69K)
    TRIBBLE: 73.11K(1.64K)
    TRIBBLE: 35.23K(1.03K)

SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:38] DMG(DPS) -
    TRIBBLE: 10.23M(284.10K)
    TRIBBLE: 544.29K(32.40K)
    TRIBBLE: 180.79K(4.80K)
    TRIBBLE: 131.35K(4.21K)
    TRIBBLE: 14.11K(3.81K)
    TRIBBLE: 59.55K(2.13K)
    TRIBBLE: 24.03K(1.32K)
    TRIBBLE: 36.17K(1.11K)
    TRIBBLE: 693(41.97)

SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:49] DMG(DPS) -
    TRIBBLE: 7.86M(168.70K)
    TRIBBLE: 1.30M(26.60K)
    TRIBBLE: 334.89K(10.18K)
    TRIBBLE: 378.30K(8.68K)
    TRIBBLE: 58.29K(5.71K)
    TRIBBLE: 244.38K(5.02K)
    TRIBBLE: 86.39K(4.28K)
    TRIBBLE: 122.08K(3.11K)
    TRIBBLE: 79.95K(1.97K)

A proper CCE would have me play there rather than Advanced. Win/Win for all. I'll get my fun CC runs, and everyone else can have their challenging CC runs back. :smile:
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    irm1963 wrote: »
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    Want to lower DPS? Nerf Beams Fire at Will. Or nerf all the consoles that contribute to BFAW being stupidly OP.

Either way, the white elephant of BFAW must be addressed.

Can't see it, unfortunately. Remember all the whining when BFAW couldn't do criticals at one point ?
    I know.. late to the discussion... but IMO, BFW should lose accuracy and decreased crit chance...
  • rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    Devs...leave my sub-par DPS alone.
    My Roms are already a shadow of their former selves.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    For me the high dpsers make the stf runs go quicker so i can build my various reps level up faster.So i can then get rep gear that i need.
    Unless you are into pvp,what difference to the game do the high dps guys make apart from making us low dps players lives easier in stf.
    edited October 2016
    patrickngo wrote: »
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    i just checked the DPS charts, 300k+ DPS?!? i love high dps, but JFC boys, this is insane!

so what i was thinking and proposing is global cooldown to be prolonged on every skill +100% (if it is 15 sec. it should be 30 sec., etc....).

this is not diminishing any investment in ship and gear, but will definitely change the game style and the high DPS.

I don't know, to me it seams that this high DPS cannot be good for the game.

your's thought's n this?

edit*

many jumped that i said it is not a debuff, NO, i said it is not a direct debuff. for me a debuff is something you change on a gear that was paid or grind for.
    what i am suggesting is not a debuff on anything, it is a increase of global cooldown (i said +15 sec. or 100%, im not a dev. it is an example) there is nothing in the game that you bought or grind for that could EVER lower or affect global cooldown.

it is a change in a game mechanic. and yes, you would feel it as a NERF, but nothing would change, there would be no gains or loss for any player in the game.

edit*2

i just wont to slow the game down, not to debuff or nerf anything. slowing the game down, by itself will make problems, as you will have to wait 15 additional seconds for that heal, 15 sec. is HUGE, and in that case if you have ENG. in your team then he will heal you, and suddenly ENG. is doing his job, and you need him for that.

Counter-argument: give all NPC ships access to "Tactical Team 1" and "emergency Power to Shields", with an If/then cycle. That would push DPS down without applying a single Nerf. for **** and giggles, give the mid-size NPC's access to Aux2SIF abilities as well, and large ones like Cubes those three abilities plus BFAW and Torpedo spread 3. To keep it fair, set the same cooldown cycle that those abilities have when you have the relevant purple Doffs.

Tactical cubes and gateways already do have Fire at Will. And I'm not sure the shield boosting powers will help much against things like Entropic Rider (as Disco shows, the super shielded voth bulwarks can die really fast). I think the meta game has progressed past the point of your suggestions. You're not really going to hamper the top DPS in the game, and the OP here was complaining about CCA wasn't he? Not ISA?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I don’t know guys, I suspect over the top DPS could be necessary these days in order to be able to protect yourself against the masses of bad players that feel the urge to simply queue up for whatever they want whenever they want.

Tell you what; I left my comfort-ground-zone yesterday, first time in weeks, to check out some advanced space maps so isa, kasa, csa, cca, and uaa. I had to confirm the title of my parses three times just to make sure that I actually left ground.

1,3k … 0,6k … 0k

Yes, a lot of STO folks which feel compelled to play advanced simply can’t or rather shouldn’t as they do less DPS in space than I do on ground.

I fear that a good amount of achievable DPS is the only way to bring me into a position where bad players don’t ruin my game experience or force me into elitist thinking over it.

You know, with 100k+ even on my sci and cannon builds I simply don’t care how others are doing while with 50k I probably still would…
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    It wouldn't nerf the top dpsers and it would anger most of the playerbase who don't know how to do high dps anyway. High dps doesn't come from short global cooldowns. It comes from crit stacking, feedback pulse, all kinds of mods and traits that buff particle generator and embassy plasma explosion science consoles. If you want to nerf the insane dps that only a small number of players can do, you gotta nerf science and crits.

not true you know my tac with 2 sci abilites can do insane dps aswell as mi sci^^
    and my tank does mroe dmg than a lot of co called demage dealers and doesnt die

its more that there is SO MUCH stuff in the game ppl dont knoiw what to use and if they dont get into game mechanics its most likely they will create a setup on thairt ship with poor synergy/low dmg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    You could make all consoles where you can only mount 1 of them or give them diminishing returns like armor consoles. That would lower the dps spikes a bit.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited October 2016
    You could make all consoles where you can only mount 1 of them or give them diminishing returns like armor consoles. That would lower the dps spikes a bit.

Hm I suppose such a thing could have a noteworthy impact. Still with my 10 toons and their 110 upgraded consoles such massive changes in game-rules would be a big hit in the face.

It should also be noted that some console sets like the flag ship or 31c ship ones outperform a lot of consoles we currently have. Under the proposed limitations I could imagine that the favor of these sets would push the love for those ships greatly. Scimitars could be even more OP compared to other ships than they already are.

Same counts for lobi consoles as they are all universal and would see an increase in demand granting them a more considerable pay2win position as they have now.

At least at the moment the gear part of DPS is easy to comprehend and cheap to get. Just be in a fleet and play. ;)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Not as much as you'd think. A lot of DPSers use Plasma doping, and the devs you pretty much have to make the plasma doping effect limited to one per-ship(not just the consoles).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sftricksftrick Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Plasma doping hasn't been a thing for a while.

In any case, this whole nerf idea seems to be based on the top DPS charts. Why would anyone even care about the numbers on a chart? Yes, it's possible with a really good build and the right circumstances in one particular STF to get big numbers. So? Has the person suggesting this nerf ever seen someone get 300K+ DPS? I'm betting no.

And then there's the glaringly obvious fact that increasing cooldown would lower everyone's DPS, leaving the top players just as far ahead of the bottom and middle-range DPS'ers as they are now, so nothing is actually accomplished.

uh.. we still have 10k plasma explosions....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    Just be in a fleet and play. ;)

and there in lies the rub. to be "elite" in the game you have to be in a fleet. not all of us want to be in a fleet many have had nothing but bad experience with fleets. you wont see 100kDPSers out there without fleet gear. and yet i will not say "nerf/ban fleet gear. it will just come down to when the game is no longer fun or entertaining, it's time to move on.
    sig.jpg
    edited October 2016

And? We also have 10k feedback pulses, subspace vortexes, gravity wells, pet damage and whatsoever. It's not doping, it's science. Peeps wanted it to be good, now it is. :)
    animated.gif
    edited October 2016
    Just be in a fleet and play. ;)

and there in lies the rub. to be "elite" in the game you have to be in a fleet. not all of us want to be in a fleet many have had nothing but bad experience with fleets. you wont see 100kDPSers out there without fleet gear. and yet i will not say "nerf/ban fleet gear. it will just come down to when the game is no longer fun or entertaining, it's time to move on.

I’m very sorry to hear so. You are correct for the most part. Currently tac and sci consoles are favored from fleet. Same counts for tac bridge officers not to mention performance boosts and various unlocks.

If you (or others) want to give the whole fleet thing another chance I can invite you to my community if you like. We do have a probationary period of 2-4 weeks which anybody who isn’t a troll passes automatically. After that all fleet stores are locked free for you forever no matter how much and what you choose to donate or if you are interested in socializing and team-ups or not.
    animated.gif
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Seriously. If you want to join the parade it's better to ask one of the float builders to help you build a float than it is close access to the street till you can finish building one yourself. Be a part of the community, not apart from it.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User

That's because people are stacking Embassy consoles 2-3-4 & 5 at a time.

Some nerf that's was to Plasma Doping. LOL

Probably should've made Embassy's 1 per ship.
    The whole plasma doping nerf didn't actually stop players from stacking them. :grimace:
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    valoreah wrote: »
    What does it matter anyway? Some peoples high dps.

Because ISA and CCA et. al taking less than 30 seconds is becoming the norm instead of the exception. Mind as well just give people free marks then.

This is where the discussion and the way the forums are gets out of hand. ISA taking that little time comes from coordinated teams. Not PUGs. In 99.999999% of the Pugs I've parsed in 2016, there's been ONE player topping 100k. And that is usually offset by another player being below 3k on the same parse. This makes for a 3 to 5 minute run. Not 30 seconds.

In CCA, I've been in a few 30 second runs this year. But they're also few and far between because Pugs are random. CCA takes less time than ISA, but it's still typically more than 30 seconds. It often times is about 45 to 55 seconds.

30 second CCA requires more than one high DPS player to happen. Under a minute CCA is becoming the norm. Sure. But the 30 second or less run is still not the norm just because of how Pugging makes the lineup random.

ISA though? 30 second runs are nowhere close to the norm.

This is where the forums are making this issue far more confusing than it really is.

Two maps. Two different kinds of builds. Two sets of parses that are NOT related. Your BFAW build that everyone still wants to nerf? Isn't going to affect CCA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kjfettkjfett Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    This is actually a pretty horrible fix. So to nerf the top 1% of players, you'll make a system wide change that impacts everyone?

Statistically, damage is on a curve where the smallest movement at the top end will have significantly higher impact on the lower end. Pushing a 300K DPS ship down to 100K would nearly destroy any ship with 30K DPS. The skills would be completely useless for those flying in a ship below T4.

Just imagine being captain of a T1 ship with B:FAW I. It's literally the only tac skill you have slotted and instead of hitting every 15-30 seconds, it's nearly a minute between use. That is game breaking.
    kjfett_14091.jpg
    I still want to see enemies using FBP and Kinetic FBP frequently.

That'll knock 30% off the top.
    And almost none off anyone doing less then 20k.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    I find myself now agreeing with Patrick.... clearly the FBP idea came from Bizarro World.

Seriously... we have enemies in game that already do that..... It's probably the most universally hated thing out there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I still want to see enemies using FBP and Kinetic FBP frequently.

That'll knock 30% off the top.
    And almost none off anyone doing less then 20k.

I don't think that will do what you hope it will do. In fact, I think it might do the entirely opposite of what you hope it will do.

What, after all, is the objective you're trying to achieve? If it's what I think you are trying to achieve-leveling the playing field, it's not going to do that. what it will do, is spur sales of Temporal ships with their unique damage type due to Entropy powers, while punishing players that don't have thirty-to-ninety bucks to spend and massive hours of grinding already done (aka it won't even TOUcH the DPS leaguers beyond dictating a new "Won Tru Build".)

a better option, as I said, is to give NPC's Tactical Team 1, with the same cooldown and an If/then statement linked to EPTS and Aux2Sif as they exist with the relevant duty-officers equipped.

because that will do what you're thinking giving doffed FBP and Kinetic FBP will do-it will force actual challenge into the queues by denying megadamage BFAW and exotic builds.

maybe giving Hazards to mid-range subset NPC's like spheres in addition.

Reason being, it forces the Deeps to equip things that debuff before they flail with discoblast AOE powers.

the downside being it does force the devs to improve NPC and possibly Pet AI-a task they are deeply and publicly loathe to do.

but it truly doesn't require forcing "Nerfs" on people.

What I hope to achieve ?
    Put some fear into the quest for DPS.
    Put some fear back into ADV/Elite.

With all due respect, your Tactical Team enemies aren't going to do anything, when they're dead in 1-3 secs anyways.
    With an if/or statement for Heals ? EPTE and S ?
    For real ? That's cute.

They won't even have a chance to use or benefit from these abilities. By the time the first ticks of Hazards is coming online they'll be dead already.

At least with FBP/Kin FBP even if you smoke them in the 1-3 secs, at least they'll hit you HARD with some shield bypass damage for a pulse or 2.

You have people smoking ADV with all offensive consoles with not a care in the world towards defensive stats. Its no wonder the game is a joke for the mid to high end of the DPS scale.

Would there be a new meta towards Entropy/Phys ?
    Probably, -> path of least resistance. They'll always be one.

But hey, it'll change the BFAW meta which some people so desperately hate.
    Can't just take a beam build into ADV and coast anymore, unless you equip some hull resistance.

I find myself now agreeing with Patrick.... clearly the FBP idea came from Bizarro World.

Seriously... we have enemies in game that already do that..... It's probably the most universally hated thing out there.

Oh is it really ? I guess I don't fall into the "universally hated" crowd, because I actually like facing Mirror forces, since they can take you out if you're not paying attention.

But maybe you're right; Is that why Counterpoint is dead dead dead ? Reflect enemies ? TBR enemies ?
    Because players like you like to coast, without a care in the world ? (Yet come to complain the game is too easy)
    Are you from the bizarre world ?
    You want a challenge, but when a Real challenge is put before you, that may kill you if you're not cautious, or paying attention, or adjust your build to account for, you get all defensive about it, and call it a "Universally hated" mechanic.

Fine, lets just add millions of hit points to NPCs, and give them some "Healz" and "EPTE/S" that way it can take you longer to kill them = Moar Challenge.
    smh

Don't people realize giving npc's moar heals or resistances is laughable at this point ?
    Won't help them, they'll last maybe a fraction of sec longer for top DPS players with all the power that is available.

Anyway, it seems like you people like to play on "Easy mode", but still want to complain about it not providing a challenge.

It'll also be a lot more Dev time to give enemy NPC's Tactical Team (with if/or statements linked to EPTE/S) then simply giving NPCs fbp and Kin fbp.

But I guess people don't like the thought of dying in a queue. So back to square one, moar DEEPS ! Without consequence.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    do you remember the epic whining about how the voth use something similar to FBP? :p It still pops up from time to time.

The idea of giving NPCs FBP is fundamentally flawed simply because of how much combat would suck for newbies if they constantly faced ships that used it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited October 2016
    The devs actually have experimented with giving NPCs meaningful heals. A great example is how the Unimatrix probes use Haza on the Unimatrix. Yeah, DPSers don't really care, it's the people who are struggling that have a real problem.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing