test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a suggestion to lower dps without direct debuff

Comments

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    This is incorrect. There are boffs that reduce cooldowns. There are consoles that reduces cooldowns. There are duty officers that reduce cooldowns. There are traits that reduce cooldowns. So if you wish to eliminate global cooldowns, essentially, you have nerfed everything. Crew, traits, and equipment.

boff's, traits, equipment reduce skill's cooldown, not the global cooldown. those two are separate.
    i am not wishing to eliminate global cooldown (i don't understand how did you get to that conclusion), i wish to prolong it. so you will have to wait for skills, not just continue to fire FAW, or heal your self every 15 sec. etc., etc...

it will change your game style, as you could not force high dps, as you will not be able to play a glass cannon.
    you boys understand that after you pass 30k dps, healing is unimportant right? you don't have to heal as enemy's don't have time to hurt you.
    it is plain obvious with the new missions, there is no strategy involved in new missions, they just dumped sh** load of enemies on us, nothing els (sure, you have to close the portal).
    Well if you want to increase globals by 100%. Then you have eliminated globals or increased their overall cooldown time. Most skills have something like this for cooldowns. 30 second CD with a 15 second global. 60 Second CD with a 30 Second global. 45 Second CD with a 30 Second global. I can't even fathom how you came to the conclusion that we need a 30 second cooldown with a 30 second global. Unless you mean that the skill should have a 60 second cooldown instead of 30 with a 30 second global. If so, that's an even worse idea. And the claim that it isn't a nerf is a hilariously stupid statement.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    My only thought on this, knowing it would not be popular, would be to extend the length of weapon recharge times a few percentages so that other systems and abilities had more time to be used, and the battle wasn't over so fast you couldn't see it happen.

This would not (in any way I can see) make the high DPS ships less proportionally deadly to low DPS ships, but I think it would allow more people to at least feel involved in the battle, or at least try a different tactic than just being a death ray projector.

Qapla! Live Long and Prosper. Remember the I.D.I.C

Oh yeah, I am not claiming the idea expressed above isn't a nerf, I just think it nerfs in a way that still respects the work put into high DPS builds. I also repeat .. it would not be popular, at least at first.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    My average is 10-14k, I just like building to withstand damage, though if I'm in a grav well capable ship I'll play flank support with the crowd control.

This is me as well. I try to build to withstand damage and then I can get by without stupidly high dps (which I do not want.)

20k, if I could reach it, would be my limit to shoot for. But as it is, I can already outlast my opponents, so I am happy. Others can laugh and point and cry "YOU SUCK!" all they want. I just go my merry way and don't give them the attention they were craving.

And I still say the OP's 'idea' is a very stupid idea. I sincerely hope the devs point and laugh at it if they read it. I know I did.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    I can't even fathom how you came to the conclusion that we need a 30 second cooldown with a 30 second global. Unless you mean that the skill should have a 60 second cooldown instead of 30 with a 30 second global. If so, that's an even worse idea. And the claim that it isn't a nerf is a hilariously stupid statement.

so you boys just refuse to read, and just insert whatever you though at the time you read it.

atm APB = 15 cooldown, 15 second global (if i remember the times correctly)
    what i am suggesting is
    APB =15 sec cooldown, and in this case 30 sec. global
    so nothing changed on skill side, your doff, trais, whatever is still working on a skill side. the global side is bigger, AND YES you cannot affect the global cooldown, THAT IS THE POINT. to stop you from rushing in, and to think what to use and when.
    ofc for every skill time is different.

but as some one said in here, maybe this is to much for casuals, but i would argue that people would adapt, FFS they adapt in other games, and they are just fine.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    High DPS is not the answer to everything, playing tactically and strategically is much better
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      coldnapalm wrote: »
      No...there is somebody who ain't reading in this thread...and that person ain't sal. I explained what a global cool down was and why what you said will not work. Adding to global cool down does not mean adding to the cool down. Once again, that is not how it works...that is not how any of it works.

what you "explained" in the beginning, definitely don't fall under category "and because of it, it wont work". it falls in category, "it is a nerf, and i don't like it".

and your explanation, is a mess
      "You do realize that there are boff skills where if you increased the global by 100%, the skill's cooldown would be LONGER then the actual cooldown...right?!? And for those that are 50%...what you are saying is that there is no global cooldown and the skill cooldown is what it is...that means ALL the cooldown abilities suddenly became USELESS"

no one understood what you have said here.
      so we have skill cooldown, global cooldown and actual cooldown (never heard of actual cooldown). and then you come to the conclusion that there is NO global cooldown and the cooldown is what is it, and suddenly ALL abilities are useless.

and i'm 100% sure that I NEVER, ANY WHERE suggested what you are talking about.

and you fell sry for me? i felt sorry for me to have to read something like that... sal...
      I can't even fathom how you came to the conclusion that we need a 30 second cooldown with a 30 second global. Unless you mean that the skill should have a 60 second cooldown instead of 30 with a 30 second global. If so, that's an even worse idea. And the claim that it isn't a nerf is a hilariously stupid statement.

so you boys just refuse to read, and just insert whatever you though at the time you read it.

atm APB = 15 cooldown, 15 second global (if i remember the times correctly)
      what i am suggesting is
      APB =15 sec cooldown, and in this case 30 sec. global
      so nothing changed on skill side, your doff, trais, whatever is still working on a skill side. the global side is bigger, AND YES you cannot affect the global cooldown, THAT IS THE POINT. to stop you from rushing in, and to think what to use and when.
      ofc for every skill time is different.

but as some one said in here, maybe this is to much for casuals, but i would argue that people would adapt, FFS they adapt in other games, and they are just fine.
      You're seriously clueless. You want a 15 second cooldown with a 30 second global cooldown? So what you actually want is in fact as we stated a 30 second cooldown with no global cooldown benefit. You need to seriously educate yourself on how cooldowns work. Otherwise you'll continue to make a fool out of yourself.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    • gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
      "Cryptic please make everyone that outperforms me worse because I can't comprehend how anyone is better than me at a videogame"

Did I get it right?
      486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
      You're seriously clueless. You want a 15 second cooldown with a 30 second global cooldown? So what you actually want is in fact as we stated a 30 second cooldown with no global cooldown benefit. You need to seriously educate yourself on how cooldowns work. Otherwise you'll continue to make a fool out of yourself.

so pls, educat me. where is the link that can confirm what you are saying?

if we have 30 sec. global cooldown + 15 sec, skill cooldown. guess what, after, 30 sec. you will still have to wait 15 sec. to be able to use the same skill, or you will have another one waiting.
      or what? you thought that the skill cooldown would be going together whit the global cooldown? really?! basic math friend, except if there is some other mechanic here that i am not aware of. if that, then pls provide a link.

calling me names, and putting words in my mouth will not help you in this.

gardat wrote: »
      "Cryptic please make everyone that outperforms me worse because I can't comprehend how anyone is better than me at a videogame"

Did I get it right?

do you feel that threaten?
      azrael605 wrote: »
      Nobody feels threatened by you.

that is good to know.
      I'm a non- parsing player who ignores DPS & even I think this is a fantastically stupid idea.

so you know nothig about the subject, but you have an opinion?

cool, thnx for your opinion.
      in any case, i left this suggestion for the devs. knowing that they read forums, they will see it and do what they see fit with it. if it helps the game, good.
      edited October 2016

so pls, educat me. where is the link that can confirm what you are saying?

if we have 30 sec. global cooldown + 15 sec, skill cooldown. guess what, after, 30 sec. you will still have to wait 15 sec. to be able to use the same skill, or you will have another one waiting.
      or what? you thought that the skill cooldown would be going together whit the global cooldown? really?! basic math friend, except if there is some other mechanic here that i am not aware of. if that, then pls provide a link.

calling me names, and putting words in my mouth will not help you in this.
      This is not how global cooldowns work. An ability with a base 30 second cooldown that has a 15 second global or shared cooldown means that the initial base of 30 seconds can be reduced to 15 seconds but no further. So for you to suggest an ability have a 15 second cooldown with a 30 second global is hilariously silly. What you are basically suggesting is to have a 30 second cooldown that cannot be reduced at all since the global cooldown is longer than the base cooldown.

I don't have to put words into your mouth because you are spewing out all the misinformed numbers for everyone to see.
      This is not how global cooldowns work. An ability with a base 30 second cooldown that has a 15 second global or shared cooldown means that the initial base of 30 seconds can be reduced to 15 seconds but no further. So for you to suggest an ability have a 15 second cooldown with a 30 second global is hilariously silly. What you are basically suggesting is to have a 30 second cooldown that cannot be reduced at all since the global cooldown is longer than the base cooldown.

I don't have to put words into your mouth because you are spewing out all the misinformed numbers for everyone to see.

so cool, ok. so why do you refuse to see the point of what i am saying then. sure, you know mechanic better.
      so what you are saying, APB has a 30 sec. base cool down, with the 15 sec. max reduction.
      And what i won't then, if this is the case for APB to have 44 sec. base cooldown with max 22. sec. reduction.
      edited October 2016
      It is simply amazing how often I see forum threads like "such & such enemy is OP" from people who claim "I do 50k dps & I can't kill na'khul in red alert (as one example)" & I vape the frakking things left & right.

are you trolling now?

by your logic, i kill things so slow, that now i wont to kill things even slower, because there are players out there that kills faster then me. very logical.
    • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
      I think the big loss of understanding here is that what's being asked is to effectively kneecap everyone just because of a few people who know what they're doing in regards to setting up their ships. People who have the knowledge, or access thereof, on what parts to pair with what weapons and what bridge officers and duty officers to go with. Information that everyone has access to and parts that often only need a modestly leveled fleet. What people are suggesting is that, instead of kneecapping everyone, you just do what everyone else does and learn what works for your playstyle and build ideas. And yes, the comments for kneecapping everyone are becoming quite a tirade...
      oldracesbanner.jpg
      I think the big loss of understanding here is that what's being asked is to effectively kneecap everyone just because of a few people who know what they're doing in regards to setting up their ships. People who have the knowledge, or access thereof, on what parts to pair with what weapons and what bridge officers and duty officers to go with. Information that everyone has access to and parts that often only need a modestly leveled fleet. What people are suggesting is that, instead of kneecapping everyone, you just do what everyone else does and learn what works for your playstyle and build ideas. And yes, the comments for kneecapping everyone are becoming quite a tirade...

no friend, it really is not.
      we have 3 class, and we all play them as tactical. point is that even when you play those support class, you are called a noob, as you don't make high enough dps. but you can't if you are playing tank or a healer to be high dps-er to.
      and what i am suggesting is not that big of nerf (the time is not set in stone, it is an example, change of couple of sec. would do the job), it just slow the game down. giving time for others to do there job. nothing more.
      i'm not looking to diminish anything you invested in this game, nor it will change much about what you know about this game, it will just force you to be a little more hmmm tanky? what this give is more team play.
      all most every elite pve mission was soloed, is ridiculous.
      anyways boys, i sad what i wonted. peace and love ;)
    • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
      i just checked the DPS charts, 300k+ DPS?!? i love high dps, but JFC boys, this is insane!

It's not insane.

- What map is this?
      - What build is this?
      - What's your DPS at on that same map?

After answering all of those questions, go run a different map. Like, I dunno, Battle of Procyon V. And parse that and come back with more data!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      i just checked the DPS charts, 300k+ DPS?!? i love high dps, but JFC boys, this is insane!

It's not insane.

- What map is this?
      - What build is this?

After answering all of those questions, go run a different map. Like, I dunno, Battle of Procyon V. And parse that and come back with more data!

i will respond on that like this. do you think it is normal to finish CCA in 30 sec. in a pub before the second blast?

for me, this is not how the game is intended to play, nor how it should be (this of course is my opinion).
    • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
      edited October 2016

It's not insane.

- What map is this?
      - What build is this?

i will respond on that like this. do you think it is normal to finish CCA in 30 sec. in a pub before the second blast?

for me, this is not how the game is intended to play, nor how it should be (this of course is my opinion).

I will respond with a response to your response ... if you take your max level everquest character from 2016 into the Plane of Hate, can you solo it?

Yes, yes you can solo it.

Outdated content gets EASY.

CCA is outdated content.

Try Procyon V. It's much more challenging!

Another piece of advice is to stop PUGging if you do not like the experience. You see the PUG system is designed to randomly group people together. And I know that seems obvious. But the very existence of this thread demonstrates that you're not thinking this through. You're trying to create a gaming experience suited to your tastes, at the expense of the tastes of others. That may not seem apparent to you since you're simply trying to make CCA last longer. What you're forgetting is that PUGs are designed to put anyone and everyone together. And right now, CCA attracts a ton of casual people.

Which IS the developers' goal with that map.

It gets lost in the shuffle, but if you tinker too much with the dated content, that is still popular the net result is this:

The players will go elsewhere. And then YOU will be stuck waiting on that map to pop. As it gets less and less popular.

Just leave well enough alone. The developers are in the midst of creating new content, new maps, new challenges. Leave the old ones alone, just like most other MMOs do.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
      Like all master plans to lower dps this will hurt the average player more then it will the guys and gals at the top of the dps charts.
      Tza0PEl.png
    • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
      we have 3 class, and we all play them as tactical. point is that even when you play those support class, you are called a noob, as you don't make high enough dps. but you can't if you are playing tank or a healer to be high dps-er to.

The devs have stated in the past that they do not want a trinity-style requirement in STO. Meaning that while you can still play as a tank or healer, they don't want content to be designed to require those play styles.

Now in regards to healing, tanking and DPS, they are not mutually exclusive. I know really high DPS-tanks and relatively high DPS dedicated healers in the game. In PVE, DPS is a requirement for tanking because of how the threat mechanics work. In terms of healing, you don't have to have an enemy selected for FAW to work so you are free to leave weapons on autofire while you heal allies.
    • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
      e30ernest wrote: »

The devs have stated in the past that they do not want a trinity-style requirement in STO. Meaning that while you can still play as a tank or healer, they don't want content to be designed to require those play styles.

Now in regards to healing, tanking and DPS, they are not mutually exclusive. I know really high DPS-tanks and relatively high DPS dedicated healers in the game. In PVE, DPS is a requirement for tanking because of how the threat mechanics work. In terms of healing, you don't have to have an enemy selected for FAW to work so you are free to leave weapons on autofire while you heal allies.

I just got the image of Beams Heal At Will. I can honestly see it working right now.
      One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
      e30ernest wrote: »

this, i didn't know. if that is true. then my post can be ignored.
    • fluorescentblackfluorescentblack Member Posts: 79 Arc User
      I am confused, right from the get go the devs said the game would have minimal to no PvP balance and I accepted that on PC. On PS4 I hardly see any pugs even clearing advanced atm. So why are we nerfing stuff?
      Leader of The Temporal Guard and Temporal Defence Force
      edited October 2016
      ignore
    • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
      If you want a slower game, take consoles off YOUR ship. Take weapons off YOUR ship. Remove Boffs and doffs off of YOUR ship.
      The game will be slower for you, but STOP trying to make me play your way.
      fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
      @ren_larreck
    • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
      If you want a slower game, take consoles off YOUR ship. Take weapons off YOUR ship. Remove Boffs and doffs off of YOUR ship.

The game will be slower for you

Where on Earth did you get that idea from? There are like 4-9 other players on the same map with you, some of whom can solo kill the Crystalline Entity in 10 seconds flat. Changing just your weapons won't slow down combat, it'd just mean you're more likely to get hit with an AFK penalty.
      Previously Alendiak
      Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
      Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse