test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a suggestion to lower dps without direct debuff

nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
i just checked the DPS charts, 300k+ DPS?!? i love high dps, but JFC boys, this is insane!

so what i was thinking and proposing is global cooldown to be prolonged on every skill +100% (if it is 15 sec. it should be 30 sec., etc....).

this is not diminishing any investment in ship and gear, but will definitely change the game style and the high DPS.

I don't know, to me it seams that this high DPS cannot be good for the game.

your's thought's n this?

edit*

many jumped that i said it is not a debuff, NO, i said it is not a direct debuff. for me a debuff is something you change on a gear that was paid or grind for.
what i am suggesting is not a debuff on anything, it is a increase of global cooldown (i said +15 sec. or 100%, im not a dev. it is an example) there is nothing in the game that you bought or grind for that could EVER lower or affect global cooldown.

it is a change in a game mechanic. and yes, you would feel it as a NERF, but nothing would change, there would be no gains or loss for any player in the game.

edit*2

i just wont to slow the game down, not to debuff or nerf anything. slowing the game down, by itself will make problems, as you will have to wait 15 additional seconds for that heal, 15 sec. is HUGE, and in that case if you have ENG. in your team then he will heal you, and suddenly ENG. is doing his job, and you need him for that.
Post edited by nesomumi2 on

Comments

• emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    It wouldn't nerf the top dpsers and it would anger most of the playerbase who don't know how to do high dps anyway. High dps doesn't come from short global cooldowns. It comes from crit stacking, feedback pulse, all kinds of mods and traits that buff particle generator and embassy plasma explosion science consoles. If you want to nerf the insane dps that only a small number of players can do, you gotta nerf science and crits.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    It wouldn't nerf the top dpsers........... If you want to nerf the insane dps that only a small number of players can do, you gotta nerf science and crits.

Top DPS guys find...um...I don't want to say exploits but essentially that in the game mechanics. Most of those mechanics are basic functions of the game. They know how to use it and when things change they will know how to use that too. I don't have any problem with the DPS crowd (I'm not one BTW, highest DPS guy for me is ~30K). As a matter of fact, there are many things you can learn from them to make the game more fun by better fitting your ship to your playstyle.

And, @emacsheadroom needs leave my science magic out of mentions of nerfing. I remember when science was hilariously weak and I don't want to go back there.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    i just checked the DPS charts, 300k+ DPS?!? i love high dps, but JFC boys, this is insane!

so what i was thinking and proposing is global cooldown to be prolonged on every skill +100% (if it is 15 sec. it should be 30 sec., etc....).

this is not diminishing any investment in ship and gear, but will definitely change the game style and the high DPS.

your's thought's n this?

^ This tired rant again...
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    This is a bad idea all around. And I'm not one of those insane DPSers. I can barely break 20k on a good day. I just have fun and eventually kill things and survive it. I don't need to one-shot everything, that's incredibly boring. May as well not play and break out the knitting.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    What does it matter anyway? Some peoples high dps.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,608 Arc User
    300K DPS is the result of (premades with interlocking skills working in tandem) + (spending hundreds of millions of credits) + (glass cannon ships) + (cheesing on edge cases of the game logic) + (playing over and over until RNGesus blesses your run).

This suggestion would just make the game harder for normal players, not "solve high DPS."
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    You can nerf all you want, but the better players will always greatly exceed general performance.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    If you want to nerf the insane dps that only a small number of players can do, you gotta nerf science

This makes me think you don't know how people are getting high DPS.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    You do realize that there are boff skills where if you increased the global by 100%, the skill's cooldown would be LONGER then the actual cooldown...right?!? And for those that are 50%...what you are saying is that there is no global cooldown and the skill cooldown is what it is...that means ALL the cooldown abilities suddenly became USELESS...including the skill point ones. And finally, you don't think expanding global cooldown is a nerf?!? In what universe is this true? Because it ain't in this one. So yeah...bad understanding of game mechanics followed by a bad idea followed by not even understanding what you are saying. Your failure is so complete...even I feel sorry for you.
    Yeah, the OP's suggestion is hilariously bad. A typical given ability has a 30 second CD. Global is typically 15 seconds. So the OP wants to basically wipe out globals and maintain the 30 second CD? So what was the point of them releasing krenim boffs, aux to bat doffs, damage control engineer doffs, CD reduction traits and CD reduction consoles? This suggestion is such a massive failure that it's difficult to believe that the OP isn't trolling.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • anyajenkinsanyajenkins Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Why lower the dps output... the majority can't even pass a simple ISA with objective...

The problem is not the dps capacity, all lvl40+ ship can do pretty decent dps with full white mk12 gear.. i made 13k in pickup with a luna class plasma beam boat with mk12 white gear and no starship trait. It looks like a lots of player don't have a clue of what they do.

C'mon the conduit is a old stf and 90% of time it's a drama... Gateway to gretor is simple but fails 90% of time... the problem is not the dps output, the problem is the creature between the chair and the screen.

Just read some wiki and forums and learn the strategy, sto is a pretty simple game.

49dd1a1074f201745ccf9de21fc3e601.gif

coffee the finest organic suspension ever devised - Janeway
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Well, without much in the way of context regarding what sparked the originator into this tirade, the only places I can see anyone hating high damage builds is in PvP as, really, who doesn't like a high damage build in PvE. Sadly, people don't go into PvP casually... at least they shouldn't, and if you're being serious you're bringing serious builds. If you're going into PvP with a real intent to win, then do the research and take your best build. Everyone has access to all the same elements, trying to bring everyone down to your level just strikes of laziness and an unwillingness to learn.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    My average is 10-14k, I just like building to withstand damage, though if I'm in a grav well capable ship I'll play flank support with the crowd control.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
      I don't even have a clue what my sustained DPS is in my best ship tier 6 defiant is. Frankly I don't care, as I do some really good spike damage at times.
      afMSv4g.jpg
      Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    • d0nomegad0nomega Member Posts: 202 Arc User
      What does it matter anyway? Some peoples high dps.

Tell me about it. I wish the only thing in life I had to worry about was some stuff in a video game.

• fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
      Want to lower DPS? Nerf Beams Fire at Will. Or nerf all the consoles that contribute to BFAW being stupidly OP.

Either way, the white elephant of BFAW must be addressed.
      One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
    • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
      ssbn655 wrote: »

your's thought's n this?

^ This tired rant again...

it is not a rant...
    • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
      fluffymoof wrote: »
      Want to lower DPS? Nerf Beams Fire at Will. Or nerf all the consoles that contribute to BFAW being stupidly OP.

Can't see it, unfortunately. Remember all the whining when BFAW couldn't do criticals at one point ?

edited October 2016
      You do realize that there are boff skills where if you increased the global by 100%, the skill's cooldown would be LONGER then the actual cooldown...right?!? And for those that are 50%...what you are saying is that there is no global cooldown and the skill cooldown is what it is...that means ALL the cooldown abilities suddenly became USELESS...including the skill point ones. And finally, you don't think expanding global cooldown is a nerf?!? In what universe is this true? Because it ain't in this one. So yeah...bad understanding of game mechanics followed by a bad idea followed by not even understanding what you are saying. Your failure is so complete...even I feel sorry for you.

"nd finally, you don't think expanding global cooldown is a nerf?"
      did i say it is not a nerf?
      it is not a nerf on a investment in your gear and doff's, as they would continue to do what they supposed to do.

global cooldown supersedes skills cooldown. so if you have lets say APB that have a 15 sec cooldown, on top of global cooldown, that is 15 sec.(if i am not mistaken) that would be 30 sec. all together (whit no bonuses to speed things up). prologin the global cooldown to 30 sec. will slow you down, as it will need 45 sec. to be available, whit no doff's and skills that helps cut the time. so they still will be helpful, but it would slow you down, considerably.
      you will not be able to do 360k dps run, and sure big boys will still kill things fast. but even they could not just rush from one side to another with guns blazing, as they would have to wait for skills.

"And for those that are 50%...what you are saying is that there is no global cooldown and the skill cooldown is what it is...that means ALL the cooldown abilities suddenly became USELESS..." like What?!?!?
      irm1963 wrote: »

Can't see it, unfortunately. Remember all the whining when BFAW couldn't do criticals at one point ?

But it's the core of the problem. If nobody is going to look at it, you might as well rename BFAW to IWIN.

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
    • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
      edited October 2016

Without thinking too deeply into this proposed change, it is generally not a good one because it affects the casual players more than the high DPS'ers. Casual players will have a more difficult time with combat thus this would anger most of the player base and many would probably leave the game.

On the other, one way to limit high DPS is setup DPS diminishing return meaning the higher the calculated DPS that weapon does, the less DPS the actual damage will because of diminishing return on DPS bonuses (similar to resistance). A high DPS'er will still do more damage than a casual player though. However, this is also not an ideal because this would anger some players that really poured in resources into the game and took the time to understand the game mechanics to get really high DPS. However, this would be the lesser of two evils as long as the nerf on "extreme DPS", does not affect the vast majority of high DPS'ers.

Anyway, I think it is best to leave it alone for now since the percentage of players capable of doing 300k DPS is pretty small.
      edited October 2016
      Why lower the dps output... the majority can't even pass a simple ISA with objective...

The problem is not the dps capacity, all lvl40+ ship can do pretty decent dps with full white mk12 gear.. i made 13k in pickup with a luna class plasma beam boat with mk12 white gear and no starship trait. It looks like a lots of player don't have a clue of what they do.

C'mon the conduit is a old stf and 90% of time it's a drama... Gateway to gretor is simple but fails 90% of time... the problem is not the dps output, the problem is the creature between the chair and the screen.

Just read some wiki and forums and learn the strategy, sto is a pretty simple game.

i'm a 30/40k dps-er (that don't care for more than that as there is no need for more), still am. i do know how things work, and don't have and need to be carried in any pve. but 360k dps with any kind of premade team is completely ridiculous.

if you have fun and think is is healthy for a game that have 3 different class and all 3 class only look how to get higher dps so that they don't have to do what is there job because THEY CAN'T as there is simple no time to do it, then i can say you don't care much about the future of the game.

i know plenty of people that left this game as they did not enjoy chasing DPS as they were playing a tank or a healer, and then people wold dump on them in pve as they were useless.
      they were not useless, but the game is made that they were. and if this is the case, then cryptic should delete class and make only one that can choose everything with no difference.

i personally use only two skills to heal my hull and shields, and i don't remember last time that some one healed me, and i don't remember last time i needed to be healed. and THAT is fing stupid.
      Well, without much in the way of context regarding what sparked the originator into this tirade, the only places I can see anyone hating high damage builds is in PvP as, really, who doesn't like a high damage build in PvE. Sadly, people don't go into PvP casually... at least they shouldn't, and if you're being serious you're bringing serious builds. If you're going into PvP with a real intent to win, then do the research and take your best build. Everyone has access to all the same elements, trying to bring everyone down to your level just strikes of laziness and an unwillingness to learn.

how am i tirading in my original post?

How is BFAW a white elephant? It's certainly not useless.
      When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

jaguarskx wrote: »
      Anyway, I think it is best to leave it alone for now since the percentage of players capable of doing 300k DPS is pretty small.

sure, i just wont to point out that this is bad for the game. it is only suggestion.

edited October 2016
      THERE IS NO WAY TO REDUCE GLOBAL COOLDOWND YOU FRAKING MORON.
      i am glad you finally understand my point. so if FAW have a 15 global cooldown, and you increas it to 30 sec. did i nerfed any on your crew, traits or equipment? no i did not. as your sKill cooldown is not touched, so everything you invested in, is still doing there job. you just NEED TO WAIT longer because of the GLOBAL COOLDOWN.

btw, take it easy, you will get a heart attack.

oh, i see what you have problem with, so this is a sugestion, maybe a dev. read it. im not saying flat anything, it is an example. im not saying 1:30min. for global cooldown on lets say GW, no. but bigger global cooldown in general. you still need 2 betas even in my example as you will get it quicker. yeah, you would wait 30 sec. for it, but you will get it quicker then just having one.
      nothing you said has much sens to be honest, even if i was saying flat (which i don't).
      edited October 2016
      THERE IS NO WAY TO REDUCE GLOBAL COOLDOWND YOU FRAKING MORON.
      i am glad you finally understand my point. so if FAW have a 15 global cooldown, and you increas it to 30 sec. did i nerfed any on your crew, traits or equipment? no i did not.
      This is incorrect. There are boffs that reduce cooldowns. There are consoles that reduces cooldowns. There are duty officers that reduce cooldowns. There are traits that reduce cooldowns. So if you wish to eliminate global cooldowns, essentially, you have nerfed everything. Crew, traits, and equipment.
    • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,426 Arc User
      edited October 2016

Yet DPS does not mean you have skill. 90% of people with high DPS have just copied someone else's posted layout. I always have to laugh when someone rages on someone with a lower DPS that 'they have no skill'. People might be skilled in healing, or debuffs yet get by fine on lower DPS.

I find the insistance that DPS is 'skill' hilarious. If they were to ever make mission critical ships destructible or were to only give you one life in STF's, thereby failing the mission if either die, it would alter that mind-set in an instant! That's why I objected to failable mission objectives being removed in advanced STF's.

Additional:- I should have mentioned all those that just macro everything to 'Space Bar'. This, although convenient, also isn't skill either.
      "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
      This is incorrect. There are boffs that reduce cooldowns. There are consoles that reduces cooldowns. There are duty officers that reduce cooldowns. There are traits that reduce cooldowns. So if you wish to eliminate global cooldowns, essentially, you have nerfed everything. Crew, traits, and equipment.

boff's, traits, equipment reduce skill's cooldown, not the global cooldown. those two are separate.
      i am not wishing to eliminate global cooldown (i don't understand how did you get to that conclusion), i wish to prolong it. so you will have to wait for skills, not just continue to fire FAW, or heal your self every 15 sec. etc., etc...

it will change your game style, as you could not force high dps, as you will not be able to play a glass cannon.
      you boys understand that after you pass 30k dps, healing is unimportant right? you don't have to heal as enemy's don't have time to hurt you.
      it is plain obvious with the new missions, there is no strategy involved in new missions, they just dumped sh** load of enemies on us, nothing els (sure, you have to close the portal).
      leemwatson wrote: »
      Yet DPS does not mean you have skill. 90% of people with high DPS have just copied someone else's posted layout. I always have to laugh when someone rages on someone with a lower DPS that 'they have no skill'. People might be skilled in healing, or debuffs yet get by fine on lower DPS.

I find the insistance that DPS is 'skill' hilarious. If they were to ever make mission critical ships destructible or were to only give you one life in STF's, thereby failing the mission if either die, it would alter that mind-set in an instant! That's why I objected to failable mission objectives being removed in advanced STF's.

completely with you on this one, an mission where you have to think for a change. would be nice.

dps is skill when you are over 100k i think. for the below 100k im with you, you can just smash the space bar for lower (i know i do).

edited October 2016
      leemwatson wrote: »

completely with you on this one, an mission where you have to think for a change. would be nice.

dps is skill when you are over 100k i think. for the below 100k im with you, you can just smash the space bar for lower (i know i do).

The problem with puzzle bosses/zones/episodes/etc is that once you do the puzzle the first time, you hate doing it again and again. So you do things like run to the wiki for the solution that you can't remember to the puzzles.

That's not to say a puzzle spot wouldn't work. It's just that the puzzle needs to not have a set solution and also not be a horrible grindy moment. That's unusually hard to do with a game.

In other words, at least I would like Spirit Temple puzzles a lot more than THE WATER TEMPLE puzzle from Zelda Ocarina of Time.