test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Outfit prices in Dill store. LOL

Comments

• Options
    jackson900pwejackson900pwe Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    It's an attempt at a dil sink, that's why.

I've never really payed that much attention but what in the name of Romulus is a dil sink and why do we need or have them? Liker really what's the point of that? Just curious because I've never really heard or knew much about it.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I wonder if the TRIBBLE outfit will show up on it next. AKA the uni dress from TNG
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User

I've never really payed that much attention but what in the name of Romulus is a dil sink and why do we need or have them? Liker really what's the point of that? Just curious because I've never really heard or knew much about it.

Dilithium sink, and we need one to keep the dilithium exchange from spiraling off to 500 and beyond. (What am I saying, there is no 'beyond' except death.)

That being said, I must reiterate that the attempt would be a lot more successful if it made at least some token effort not to scream 'you are stupidly rich, ridiculously eager to get this, or just plain stupid' at you while you're trying to buy it. With 1M+ price tags, a character unlock and absolutely no way of trading it in for other stuff (as with Lobi costumes, which can be traded for EC - I'd bet something like this would sell for tons of money on the Exchange, which would be an indirect dilithium sink in its own right), that's exactly what these costumes do.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    I wonder if the **** outfit will show up on it next. AKA the uni dress from TNG

It will be the Da'har Master's jacket. At 2 million dil. Available to all factions.
  • Options
    jackson900pwejackson900pwe Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

Dilithium sink, and we need one to keep the dilithium exchange from spiraling off to 500 and beyond. (What am I saying, there is no 'beyond' except death.)

That being said, I must reiterate that the attempt would be a lot more successful if it made at least some token effort not to scream 'you are stupidly rich, ridiculously eager to get this, or just plain stupid' at you while you're trying to buy it. With 1M+ price tags, a character unlock and absolutely no way of trading it in for other stuff (as with Lobi costumes, which can be traded for EC - I'd bet something like this would sell for tons of money on the Exchange, which would be an indirect dilithium sink in its own right), that's exactly what these costumes do.

Interesting.
  • Options
    redvenge wrote: »

It will be the Da'har Master's jacket. At 2 million dil. Available to all factions.

And the swordmaster vest will probably be a 1.5M item, then.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »

Nope, not available to all factions, that would be Federation only :)

Can't expect them to let up on the trolling when they're on a roll like this, can you?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    And giving KDF outfits to non-KDF characters would not be sufficient 'trolling'? :tongue:

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    If theres anyone in the game with enough dill to buy any of those items, theres a 95% chance they also BOUGHT at least half of it with cash becuase theyre ACTUALLLY Rich, not space rich.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    If theres anyone in the game with enough dill to buy any of those items, theres a 95% chance they also BOUGHT at least half of it with cash becuase theyre ACTUALLLY Rich, not space rich.

I bought the 2 mil for the MACO and I'm not actually rich IRL, I just really, really like that uniform.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    As a Dilithium Sink this is not going to cut it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

I don't know about "actually rich" - it's a lot compared to other STO outfits but quite within norms when compared to other in-game purchases (ie starships). I mean, no one gets accused of being an elitist space whale for flying a T6 Flagship with a full console set, do they?

The problem here is expectation management - people "expect" costumes to be 500Z or, in extremis, 200 lobi. This is different, hence the shock.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    It's chit like this that kills my interest in the game.
    And I can afford to use cash to bulk up my dilithium reserves to get all of the outfits..., but I won't.

This is not EVE Online, the vast majority of players do not sit on billions of EC's and mounds of Dilithium...
    To put some of the Most Iconic and Requested Outfits into the game at a price point that puts them well beyond the reach of a vast majority of the playerbase, is just plain wrong and a bit insulting to that same devoted playerbase.

STO has always been a Casual-Player-Friendly game, this new marketing plan pushes it into territory that will most likely just create consternation and exasperation for most players and could eventually cause them to walk away.

As I said above this is not EVE Online, the majority of the players of STO are not THAT kind of game player (if they were they wouldn't be here, they'd be playing THAT game) and using those kind of tactics to "adjust" this game will IMO, just drive folks away, or at the very least decrease their interest in playing very often...

And that means the players that can afford these outfits, will have to produce a larger part of the lost income as the playerbase shrinks.

So, enjoy those costly outfits now while you can, because six months to a year from now, you'll probably be paying 5 to 8 Million for similar "toys".
    <shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    And I can afford to use cash to bulk up my dilithium reserves to get all of the outfits..., but I won't.

This is not EVE Online, the vast majority of players do not sit on billions of EC's and mounds of Dilithium...
    To put some of the Most Iconic and Requested Outfits into the game at a price point that puts them beyond the reach of a vast majority of the playerbase is just plain wrong and a bit insulting to that same devoted playerbase.

What, in the same way that a Fleet T6 ship is beyond most players? That would be 3500Z, this is only marginally more. You're raging because it's a bind-to-character outfit and, in STO's normal model, outfits are cheaper than endgame ships. But people *will* pay that sort of money for stuff in game, all Cryptic are testing is whether that will apply to outfits as well.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    How much was the original "Horse Armor" DLC vs. how much are these Outfits?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    I ended up getting this instead. Cost a bit less and has real world benefits.

​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    Some outfits on the Dil store won't have me to runaway. Most games are set up to where certain players get items by working for it. I can play with or without it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    staq16 wrote: »

To put some of the Most Iconic and Requested Outfits into the game at a price point that puts them beyond the reach of a vast majority of the playerbase is just plain wrong and a bit insulting to that same devoted playerbase.

What, in the same way that a Fleet T6 ship is beyond most players? That would be 3500Z, this is only marginally more. You're raging because it's a bind-to-character outfit and, in STO's normal model, outfits are cheaper than endgame ships. But people *will* pay that sort of money for stuff in game, all Cryptic are testing is whether that will apply to outfits as well.

Using a T6 ships high cost in comparison to the outrageous prices of some of the most requested clothing from the IP is nonsensical.

There are other reasonable options available to acquire those particular ships and other ships like them in the game that are much less expensive and work just as well if not better in some cases.

There is only ONE WAY to get these particular 'desired' items and it is more than extremely time consuming for the average player on the order of many months to a year or more.
    Contrary to what appears to be popular belief in these forums, "Binge Farming" is not a typical play style for most STO gamers.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User

To put some of the Most Iconic and Requested Outfits into the game at a price point that puts them well beyond the reach of a vast majority of the playerbase, is just plain wrong and a bit insulting to that same devoted playerbase.

STO has always been a Casual-Player-Friendly game, this new marketing plan pushes it into territory that will most likely just create consternation and exasperation for most players and could eventually cause them to walk away.

As I said above this is not EVE Online, the majority of the players of STO are not THAT kind of game player (if they were they wouldn't be here, they'd be playing THAT game) and using those kind of tactics to "adjust" this game will IMO, just drive folks away, or at the very least decrease their interest in playing very often...

And that means the players that can afford these outfits, will have to produce a larger part of the lost income as the playerbase shrinks.

So, enjoy those costly outfits now while you can, because six months to a year from now, you'll probably be paying 5 to 8 Million for similar "toys".
    <shrug>

Yeah, I'm with you there. We finally get a T6 Connie... in a lockbox and that angered a lot people. Some people got the T6 Gold-Plated Ferengi Marauder with no explanation and that angered a lot of people. Now we get outfits that have been requested for a long time are they are not available for most players... you got angered players again. The last month has been loaded with moves from Cryptic that angered a lot of people. I really love AoY and it made me create a few new Fed chars (I prefer the KDF by far) but I was not happy with those moves.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited July 2016

<shrug>

That happened already - between October and December of 2014. By January 2015 the vast majority of Trek fans were gone, leaving a majority of 'gamers' to rule - which is why we have creep, and c.r.a.p like this now.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options

​​

Real world benefits? *scratches head*

<shrug>

That happened already - between October and December of 2014. By January 2015 the vast majority of Trek fans were gone, leaving a majority of 'gamers' to rule - which is why we have creep, and c.r.a.p like this now.

*nods*

Delta Rising, please go back down where you came from. Take this new Cryptic (or Perfect World, whichever's behind the more harebrained schemes we've been seeing) with you. :frowning:

• Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User

Skants for 2.5 million!
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User

My guess would be because it's a real shirt and can therefore be worn in "the real world".
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter

iamynaught wrote: »

My guess would be because it's a real shirt and can therefore be worn in "the real world".

Indeed, I tend to prefer not going naked.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    Thank goodness being almost-naked doesn't cost dilithium!

Just a few hundred Lohlunat Favors.

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg

• Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Just wait a few months if the current outfits sell enough and you'll get bikinis for all maps for only 5M dilithium. And T6 Original Connie, Nova and Sovereign for 30M.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Just wait a few months if the current outfits sell enough and you'll get bikinis for all maps for only 5M dilithium. And T6 Original Connie, Nova and Sovereign for 30M.

I'd buy such bikinis. :) Or did I just ruin things now, giving Cryptic a bad idea?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg