test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kelvin Lock Box

Comments

• Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    KT Constitution a rare gamble/lock box "reward", it never ceases to amaze me how much Cryptic can turn me off from wanting to play Star Trek Online.

Welcome to Greed Trek Online 2016.

I loved the game far better when Atari was in charge of it ...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    This lockbox is the single greatest thing to happen to STO. The nerd rage is just oh so satisfying.

It's a thing of beauty. A rare glimpse into darkest part of the mind's eye. This lockbox represents the pinnacle of Star Trek. When the rage of the STO forums crashed upon the unrelenting rocks of diversity, and impotently receded back into the oceans of madness and intolerance.

This is Roddenberry's Star Trek. This is his future. When venomous rhetoric spewed from the lips of the zealots in the name of peace and harmony, to writhe and shudder in pain and horror as the fruits of the labors of JJ Abrams and Bad Robot Productions walked through the gates of Star Trek Online, welcomed with open arms by their cousins from the Prime Universe, embraced, smiled and said, "Welcome home, we've been waiting for you for almost five years."

This is Norman Rockwell's "The problem we all live with" for us. This is our desegregation of the two realities that diverged in 2009. We look upon the crowd of people who only pay lip service to terms like "tolerance" and "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations", and see them for the small minds they are.

We look upon them not with rage or anger. We look upon them with pity, and we smile while walking hand-in-hand with the Kelvin Timeline and wave at them, because even though we do not understand their intolerance, we understand that they too are our neighbors. They are Star Trek fans just like the rest of us.

We welcome them to our ready room table as we begin the hard work ahead to mend the rift between us.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2016
    cryptiecop wrote: »
    KT Constitution a rare gamble/lock box "reward", it never ceases to amaze me how much Cryptic can turn me off from wanting to play Star Trek Online.

You mean when the budget for the game was basically peanuts and the game went into life support mode with no new content for a year. Yeah, those were good times.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    lethal61lethal61 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm surprised they didn't make a lockbox to get these lockboxes seeing how greedy they are srry but I don't throw money at chances that's for suckers.
  • Options
    hargbokhargbok Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    very disapointed i would have bought that kelvin enterprise in the c store if it was 50 bucks ive been waiting for that ship for a very long time. I guess ill have to wait for my kelvin on the gtn when its not 200 million = (

why not make alternative version models to sell in the store at least? this is just stupid
    Darmok and jalad at tenegra
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    It's a thing of beauty. A rare glimpse into darkest part of the mind's eye. This lockbox represents the pinnacle of Star Trek. When the rage of the STO forums crashed upon the unrelenting rocks of diversity, and impotently receded back into the oceans of madness and intolerance.

This is Roddenberry's Star Trek. This is his future. When venomous rhetoric spewed from the lips of the zealots in the name of peace and harmony, to writhe and shudder in pain and horror as the fruits of the labors of JJ Abrams and Bad Robot Productions walked through the gates of Star Trek Online, welcomed with open arms by their cousins from the Prime Universe, embraced, smiled and said, "Welcome home, we've been waiting for you for almost five years."

This is Norman Rockwell's "The problem we all live with" for us. This is our desegregation of the two realities that diverged in 2009. We look upon the crowd of people who only pay lip service to terms like "tolerance" and "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations", and see them for the small minds they are.

We look upon them not with rage or anger. We look upon them with pity, and we smile while walking hand-in-hand with the Kelvin Timeline and wave at them, because even though we do not understand their intolerance, we understand that they too are our neighbors. They are Star Trek fans just like the rest of us.

We welcome them to our ready room table as we begin the hard work ahead to mend the rift between us.​​

bravo.gif
    Post edited by jexsamx on
  • Options
    I don't ever mind paying for 1 or 2 ships from the C-Store. Hiding my JJ ship in a lock box, well that is a whole different matter

You mean when the budget for the game was basically peanuts and the game went into life support mode with no new content for a year. Yeah, those were good times.
    ​​

Oh you're right, milking real world money out of players for sought after ships is currently acceptable these days ... my bad ...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    This lockbox is the single greatest thing to happen to STO. The nerd rage is just oh so satisfying.

gfMOjrV.gif
  • Options
    danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    While I might have technical issues with some of the JJverse Trek, it was always still Star Trek to me, no different than the Mirror Universe was Trek. I think everything, from Enterprise to Beyond is part of the Trek universe and should be part of STO.

The only thing I find bad about this lockbox is how much truer to the actual ship model the Kelvin Constitution is when compared to the Enterprise/Constitution II class model in game compared to it's own on-screen model. If only the model of that ship in STO was as true and detailed (and, of course, had a T6 version) as the JJ version is. I think that above all others is what will drive people to strive to get the new Kelvin Connie.

Say what you will, but the Kelvin universe had some great costumes and ship models, and I'm glad they are finally a part of where Star Trek lives for us all.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I

Oh you're right, milking real world money out of players for sought after ships is currently acceptable these days ... my bad ...
    Vastly preferable to a dead game, I think. Of course it would be even preferable if everything was free, cancer was cured, and we all lived in harmony. But we have to face the reality of this world sometime, and I prefer a working business model for a Star Trek Online game then a defunct game.

Sure, you can dream up that there must be a better way, but until you make your own game and prove it, it's just fiction. Kinda like Star Trek.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I could fill a whole website with my hatred for the Abramsverse AND another one with the audacity to give us that fake-**** giant abomination instead of the real Constitution. But I will just breathe deeply, hope for a decent-looking disruptor compression pistol and wonder whatever gave you the idea to make a set out of consoles from three different factions that then BOOST F****** PHASERS AND PHOTON TORPEDOES???? No, breathe deeply. I'm not even interested in any of those ships. But the design decision is just sooo dumb. For Gre'thor's sake let it boost Phasers + Disruptors and Photon + Plasma Torpedoes.

While we may disagree on our favoured aesthetics, we agree that this particular set bonus is unwise; although I will add that a Plasma energy weapon bonus should be present for Romulans, and that KT Klingon space weapons, as well as KT Romulan space weapons, and ground weapons, should have been included in the Lockbox. Hopefully this parity will be corrected, and the expecting (but missing) weapons will be included in a future Lockbox (Beyond, anyone?).
    Post edited by bltrrn on
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    djmarr1964 wrote: »
    ok don't know if this has been asked but will we be able to buy the JJ Verse Fed Bridges as i dont wanna be flying around in one of the Kelvin Timeline ships and be stuck using the Prime Timeline Bridges

The KT-ships will come with faction-appropriate bridges i.e. the KTstution will get the bridge seen in the movies, the Vengeance will get the Vengeance bridge. The D-4x and T'Laru will both come with Abramsverse-inspired bridges for the appropriate faction.

Some have asked if the bridges (esp. for the Romulan, and Klingon factions), can be unlocked, and used seperately, since extant bridge options are very limited for them.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    I

Vastly preferable to a dead game, I think. Of course it would be even preferable if everything was free, cancer was cured, and we all lived in harmony. But we have to face the reality of this world sometime, and I prefer a working business model for a Star Trek Online game then a defunct game.

Sure, you can dream up that there must be a better way, but until you make your own game and prove it, it's just fiction. Kinda like Star Trek.

This made me roll my eyes and LOL ... thanks, well done !!
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    bltrrn wrote: »
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    djmarr1964 wrote: »
    ok don't know if this has been asked but will we be able to buy the JJ Verse Fed Bridges as i dont wanna be flying around in one of the Kelvin Timeline ships and be stuck using the Prime Timeline Bridges

The KT-ships will come with faction-appropriate bridges i.e. the KTstution will get the bridge seen in the movies, the Vengeance will get the Vengeance bridge. The D-4x and T'Laru will both come with Abramsverse-inspired bridges for the appropriate faction.

Some have asked if the bridges (esp. for the Romulan, and Klingon factions), can be unlocked, and used seperately, since extant bridge options are very limited for them.

The only way I can see that happening would be if they made full interiors and sold them in some bundle, which, they've said they likely won't do.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User

stTNGclap_original.gif
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    I don't ever mind paying for 1 or 2 ships from the C-Store. Hiding my JJ ship in a lock box, well that is a whole different matter

As much as I wish we lived in a world where everything wasn't decided by how big a profit margin it would provide, we do not. I'm not a huge fan of lock boxes either, I don't go for lock box ships because they are character only unlocks and the sheer cost of the gamble is not worth it for that in my opinion. However, I am glad some people are willing to throw a TRIBBLE tonne of money at them because it's what keeps the game alive and keeps us constantly fed with new content. A much preferable evil than the game dying as it almost did under Atari's control.

I'm not saying the system is great, by any means. But it's easy for people to forget how close this game came to being shut down before PWE stepped in and bought it.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    diabolical91diabolical91 Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    The thing I was just thinking about that bothers me is that in order for my federation characters to get the trait and console from the Intel dreadnaught I have to spend the larger amount amount of lobi and also master the ship up. For my Klingons I just have to spend the lower amount of lobi and have them instantly. The trait and console pack should be available for everyone.

No they shouldnt.

The trait/console discount for kdf is a consolation prize for not getting a ship at all.

I hope the ship is like 1200 lobi and the console/trait pack is like 300.

ship is 900 lobi new ships an pack might be like 200
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The thing I was just thinking about that bothers me is that in order for my federation characters to get the trait and console from the Intel dreadnaught I have to spend the larger amount amount of lobi and also master the ship up. For my Klingons I just have to spend the lower amount of lobi and have them instantly. The trait and console pack should be available for everyone.
    I wish star-ship traits especially lock-box/promotional/lobi ship traits were account unlocks it sucks to have one character who has a trait he doesn't need when one character really wants the trait but not the ship...
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

Well said brilliant

giphy.gifdeadpool-applause.gif
  • Options
    yeswecantyeswecant Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Give that man a cookie!
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2016

I'd welcome them with a few extra years at the Academy, for starters.

Starfleet code of conduct 101

OW8mlGh.jpg
    • You encounter a vessel with superior weaponry. The ship's captain is - allegedly - from the future and on a path of vengeance because he thinks the Federation destroyed his homeworld / allowed his homeworld to perish (which you are unable to determine from your position, but you do know that the homeworld in question is still around in the present).

VaK20jT.jpg
    • He and his crew use the ship to destroy a Federation member world; roughly 6 billion casualties, about 10,000 survivors.

r8szx0O.jpg
    • With concerted effort, the enemy ship finally gets trapped in a gravity well. With its systems compromised and on the verge of failure, the hostile captain still refuses your help.

What do you do?

Sdu4g93.jpg

WRONG!
    Whatever the cause, obviously the captain and his crew went through a lot and, despite claiming the opposite, the homeworld he allegedly lost, is still around in the present. Neutralize the gravity well, board the crippled ship, neutralize the crew (NON-LETHAL), and get them some professional help. Methods of punishment / extradition to his people's authorities can be discussed at a later date.
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    WRONG!
    Whatever the cause, obviously the captain and his crew went through a lot and, despite claiming the opposite, the homeworld he allegedly lost, is still around in the present. Neutralize the gravity well, board the crippled ship, neutralize the crew (NON-LETHAL), and get them some professional help. Methods of punishment / extradition to his people's authorities can be discussed at a later date.
    Lol Of course you destroy them.

For in the far future of STO, there is only war.
  • Options
    shaneseifertshaneseifert Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I will say the rewards look great. In fact I COULD get really excited about it if the odds of winning were better than in the past.
  • Options
    stealthelite1stealthelite1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    kelettes wrote: »
    WRONG!

Kirk offered the Enterprise's assistance when the Narada got trapped in the gravity well. Nero's response made it clear that he did not want their help and that he did not recognize the present Romulus as his world/government. Therefore, he and his people would have likely fought to kill as the Enterprise crewman were attempting to incapacitate them. Loss of life for the crew would have been astronomical trying to take the Narada. They would have also been attempting to repair the weapons so they could try to destroy the Enterprise. After everything that Nero had done, all the destruction he caused, Kirk still offered to provide assistance. That's more than ever logical and top of his class Spock was willing to do.

The Federation has never actively forced its help on those who specifically state that they do not want it. We can try to change their minds, but if they make their "no" clear, we are supposed to leave them alone.

Unless you work for 31.
  • Options
    insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    Well that settles it I knew it was only a matter of time before the jj rubbish was added to the game when they announced the Kelvin timeline. and I think it is now time to leave this game as I have nothing to do with the universe and would rather now see the craprise or the vengance in the game and as for the other ships there so ugly. I think that this game has run its c0ourse for me and i have logged on only once in 3 months and quite frankly it has only been for a couple of minutes. I may come back in the future if something really good but as for the new expansion I won't be here for it my hard drive will be used for something that doesn't support JJtrek. I'll get my trek fix watching the series on netflix and playing star trek timelines

Cry some more!

Also: Goood riddance. the more of you who leave, the more of us who can enjoy this damn good game!
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • Options
    insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    Sooooo... ship stats on Tuesday?

And the tractor beam... and medical crew.​​

WHY ISN'T THERE A +1 BUTTON!?!?!? WHAT KIND OF DESIGN IS THIS CRYPTIC!?!?

Cryptic: +1 button to be added on Tuesday.
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • Options
    yeswecantyeswecant Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Well, Monday's USA's day of independence, so a blog with the lock box ship stats is rather unlikely.

Tuesday is the only day left unless they plan on releasing the blog during the server downtime on the day the actual update comes to holodeck.