Options

FACT: There are MORE than 6 missions in the Agents of Yesterday TOS expansion

Comments

• Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    What do you want for nothing?

1) It's an absolutely free expansion.
    2) It's hours of brand new content.
    3) You can play every single second of that new content without spending a penny.

How many other MMO's can say the same? Name one.

If you're bent out of shape about an opinion that someone expressed in an interview, that's on you. The Dev's have put hours of work into this free expansion, and from Geko's standpoint, those hours equal a factions worth of work. He doesn't owe you an explanation or an apology for his opinion. Accept that you're not going to get either. If you're that bent out of shape over it, then don't play this brand new absolutely free content that the devs have made for you.

The "free" aspect of this expansion, or this entire game for that matter, is not something i consider a good thing in any way, shape, or form. And I'm not bent out of shape about it, it's just another example of a poor word choice from someone with a history of making poor word choices.

You're obviously bent out of shape about it enough to make a whole new signature referencing it.

As for the whole "free aspect" of this game, I'd say that if it weren't for going F2P this game very likely wouldn't exist anymore. Or at the very least wouldn't be getting as regular updates as it does, and it definitely wouldn't have had any free expansions.

I'd also add that I doubt there's a single person on these forums that hasn't gotten hyperbolic about one thing or another that they were excited about. We're only human. So is Geko.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    speak for yourself; i'm not human​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User

3) You can play every single second of that new content without spending a penny.

If you're bent out of shape about an opinion that someone expressed in an interview, that's on you. The Dev's have put hours of work into this free expansion, and from Geko's standpoint, those hours equal a factions worth of work. He doesn't owe you an explanation or an apology for his opinion. Accept that you're not going to get either. If you're that bent out of shape over it, then don't play this brand new absolutely free content that the devs have made for you.

The "free" aspect of this expansion, or this entire game for that matter, is not something i consider a good thing in any way, shape, or form. And I'm not bent out of shape about it, it's just another example of a poor word choice from someone with a history of making poor word choices.

Not really, if you put it in perspective. Geko's a systems guy. From HIS perspective, the 2270 faction has everything that the Romulans have: unique UI, unique story choices in missions, unique animations, unique art, even unique races, since the race customizations are different for them. From a systems perspective, and all the work his team did, the amount of work that went into this was just as massive as the Romulans.

So, perhaps it was all of US who misinterpreted his words, not that his words are poorly chosen.
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    So, perhaps it was all of US who misinterpreted his words, not that his words are poorly chosen.

perhaps if he just explained what he meant, people wouldnt be so confused. but he refuses to do that.
  • Options

perhaps if he just explained what he meant, people wouldnt be so confused. but he refuses to do that.

Or he's not allowed to by the marketing people who told him not to say it.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

then maybe they should have gagged him BEFORE he opened his mouth
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

You're obviously bent out of shape about it enough to make a whole new signature referencing it.

Honestly, I've been planning that signature ever since the sixth mission to tribble went to tribble and I realized that was the end of the faction. But I didn't do it out of anger, I missed the DR launch but felt many of the signatures I saw with THAT quote were rather humorous, so that's where I drew my inspiration, because it's definitely looking to be the one black mark on an otherwise decent expansion.

Ultimately my hope is that, in the future, they will not slap the "Faction" label on something with so little exclusive content.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

They did; he ignored them. And now we have this.

No matter what he says now, people like evilmark444 won't shut up. The damage is done, and any attempt at damage control will make it worse, not better. It's best to let it go and enjoy the content we ARE getting.
  • Options
    sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User

stop pretending like you have any idea what behind the scenes conversation took place. you dont.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    What's 'behind the scenes' about the things he said himself?
  • Options

No matter what he says now, people like evilmark444 won't shut up. The damage is done, and any attempt at damage control will make it worse, not better. It's best to let it go and enjoy the content we ARE getting.

Oh if he admitted it was a mistake and explained his reasoning, I would promptly go back to my old sig. When it was revealed that the skill revamp would not have power cart, I was one of the very first to label it as an attempt to cash in on respecs by taking advantage of people making a misclick. Later, when Borticus gave an explanation I could understand, I reversed my position and started defending it.

I can't speak for any of the other players that are speaking up about this particular misunderstanding, but as I said I personally would drop the whole thing if Geko addressed this in some way.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I'd just like to hear Geko's mental check boxes that were checked off when deciding to call the TOS captains their own faction.

Unique T1 ship, unique intro arc, faction-specific Bridge officers, separate ability names/icons, era-appropriate console variants, and their own transporter effect seem non-trivial to me, but I'd like to know if there were other factors in the 'yes' column.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User

Oh if he admitted it was a mistake and explained his reasoning, I would promptly go back to my old sig. When it was revealed that the skill revamp would not have power cart, I was one of the very first to label it as an attempt to cash in on respecs by taking advantage of people making a misclick. Later, when Borticus gave an explanation I could understand, I reversed my position and started defending it.

I can't speak for any of the other players that are speaking up about this particular misunderstanding, but as I said I personally would drop the whole thing if Geko addressed this in some way.

Well, I'm sure after you guys haranguing him about this and pitching a fit, the very first thing he wants to do when he wakes up in the morning is interact with the fan base. I mean, they're a rational group of people that can understand a slip up for what it is right?

TRIBBLE, no wonder you don't see a lot of devs posting in the forums. Our idea of therapy is apparently treating them like garbage for every small problem and theirs is probably staying the hell away from us. Come to think of it, if you're wondering why the devs seem slightly tone deaf to what the community wants sometimes, perhaps you could look no further than the forums.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Honestly, I've been planning that signature ever since the sixth mission to tribble went to tribble and I realized that was the end of the faction. But I didn't do it out of anger, I missed the DR launch but felt many of the signatures I saw with THAT quote were rather humorous, so that's where I drew my inspiration, because it's definitely looking to be the one black mark on an otherwise decent expansion.

Ultimately my hope is that, in the future, they will not slap the "Faction" label on something with so little exclusive content.

Those Delta Rising signature pics got really old after a couple of weeks. At the time it was posted, the saying was true until they took a sledgehammer to people's hard work and removed a bunch of specialization points.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

so lets go back to stringing him up by his testicles, its fun for all parties. We can even have the kids use him as a pinata :D

BTW no Im not all THAT bent outta shape over this ONE thing, most like irritated after years of them :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User

you will probably get your wish, they have hinted at and we have hoped for a forth faction since they added the roms as a third faction and we have now got that forth faction, I don't expect to see a fifth.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

you will probably get your wish, they have hinted at and we have hoped for a forth faction since they added the roms as a third faction and we have now got that forth faction, I don't expect to see a fifth.

Except that Geko has said there's nothing stopping them from adding more factions later on. We still don't have the Cardassians or the Borg Cooperative, which would be the 2 biggest factions one would want to play as (Not sure if we'd get Dominion due to how they were an enemy).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User

Except that Geko has said there's nothing stopping them from adding more factions later on. We still don't have the Cardassians or the Borg Cooperative, which would be the 2 biggest factions one would want to play as (Not sure if we'd get Dominion due to how they were an enemy).

I'd actually think it would be more fun to be a gamma quadrant faction. I don't know how dominion would work since we already have their ships in game. But a different faction based around that unexplored region would be amazing.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.'
    --Mark Twain

'All we want are the facts, ma'am.'
    --Joe Friday

'The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent.'
    --Joe Friday (again)

We could sure use the likes of Joe Friday on these Boards. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

I never said I didn't want more factions, I'd drop a ton of cash on a Cooperative ship pack. I just how that going forward they understand that, to players, it's the unique content that makes something a faction, not the beam out effects and tricorder models.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    teknesia wrote: »

Well, I'm sure after you guys haranguing him about this and pitching a fit, the very first thing he wants to do when he wakes up in the morning is interact with the fan base. I mean, they're a rational group of people that can understand a slip up for what it is right?

****, no wonder you don't see a lot of devs posting in the forums. Our idea of therapy is apparently treating them like garbage for every small problem and theirs is probably staying the hell away from us. Come to think of it, if you're wondering why the devs seem slightly tone deaf to what the community wants sometimes, perhaps you could look no further than the forums.

... or maybe it's mostly because They have actual LIVES beyond what They Do For A Living...

They work 8-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week creating this game, perhaps it's more likely that many of Them just like to go home and spend time with Their Family and Friends instead of posting on a Trek forum.

GASP! ...

I KNOW!! ...

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »

****, no wonder you don't see a lot of devs posting in the forums. Our idea of therapy is apparently treating them like garbage for every small problem and theirs is probably staying the hell away from us. Come to think of it, if you're wondering why the devs seem slightly tone deaf to what the community wants sometimes, perhaps you could look no further than the forums.

... or maybe it's mostly because They have actual LIVES beyond what They Do For A Living...

They work 8-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week creating this game, perhaps it's more likely that many of Them just like to go home and spend time with Their Family and Friends instead of posting on a Trek forum.

GASP! ...

I KNOW!! ...

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

b6656e8518dfe8b8ed677dd94770ec33.jpg

+1

The company I work for has a support forum that I can get a fancy company title on if I want and offer online help outside of my actual work. Do I do this? HELL no! Never even considered it.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Well at least it ha been confirmed, now.

I no longer need to buy the new ship pack, as I would only do that for a new faction....

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    I'd actually think it would be more fun to be a gamma quadrant faction. I don't know how dominion would work since we already have their ships in game. But a different faction based around that unexplored region would be amazing.
    We are as likely to get a Gamma quad faction as we are to get a Delta Quad faction.... which is 0%.

There simply aren't enough races in the Gamma quad, outside the three Dominion races, with enough lore/backstory on them to make a faction out of. Not to mention theres nothing unifying all these races into a faction thats not The Dominion.

We might unify those races into something similar to the Delta Alliance, but they won't be a faction, just an NPC organization allied to us.

Anyways, IIRC, GECKO said the only three races big enough, and with enough pull from the fanbase, to make into a faction out of them, even if its just a mini faction, are the Borg Cooperative, Jem'Hadar, and Ferengei.

And based on what you said, the likely hood of a Borg Cooperative faction is very little based on what you said about Delta Quadrant factions (they'd likely be based out of the Delta).

• Options
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Well at least it ha been confirmed, now.

I no longer need to buy the new ship pack, as I would only do that for a new faction....

None of the ships were exclusive to the TOS federation faction since the 23rd century ships can be flown by Federation, the 26th century can fly those ships as well as TOS and the 31st century ships are flyable by all.

Besides, it's still good if you want a discount on getting them since the Tier 6 ships alone would cost $210 if you bought them separately. $130 essentially guarantees that you don't have to pay again to get any of them, plus a few extra goodies.

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    And based on what you said, the likely hood of a Borg Cooperative faction is very little based on what you said about Delta Quadrant factions (they'd likely be based out of the Delta).
    Borg Cooperative would be more possible since the Borg have a massive following, and a lot of lore to draw from.

The main problem would be finding a way to introduce them, as the Cooperative is in the Delta Quadrant, and has no means to reach local space until the beginning of Delta Rising.

If they did a Borg Coop faction, it would have to be like the ToS faction, where they only have like 6 or so introductory missions, and then join up with the normal mission progression around the time Delta Rising starts.

They would also have to do what Gecko said they might do with Cardassians, and do them WoW deathknight style where they simply just start at like level 50, with T4-5 ships.

A Jem'Hadar faction would have the same problems, they could really only get an introductory arc, then join up around the time the Gamma Quad expansion starts(whenever that comes out), since they and the Doinion have no real interaction with local space.

They could add the Borg Cooperative by having them going through some wormhole to the Alpha Quadrant at level 10, but it would be easier for them to start at level 40. After all, it would only require a couple of ships instead of having 5 new ships.

Cardassians could fit the TOS faction style quite easily, but it is a matter of does Cryptic want to create at least 5 Cardassian ships.

Jem'Hadar on the other hand doesn't fit with a start at level 1 faction. They would have to make it into an antagonistic faction like the Klingons for it to work or have them stuck in the Gamma Quadrant from level 1-50. Although, Jem'Hadar seem almost as bad as playing as the Borg Collective since Jem'Hadar usually obey the orders of a Vorta. So we would have to play as some renegade Jem'Hadar.
  • Options

its actually really simple... its been a few DECADES since the end of the Dominion War.... Look at all the designs the (STO)Federation has made since then.. The Dominion is even bigger with more resources and learned a lot of interesting things in the Dominion War. What we have of their ships are older models and battlefield salvage refurbished.