test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FACT: There are MORE than 6 missions in the Agents of Yesterday TOS expansion

Comments

• phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    1. Cardassians with more lore in canon then Romulans? Not by a long shot.

Cardassian have had more stories told about them and from their perspective on the television series than the Romulans have. While Romulans have had a number of books, those aren't considered official canon so they don't really count towards "lore".

According to Memory Alpha, Cardassians have at the very least appeared in 100 episodes of TV, while the Romulans have only shown up in 57 if you count the movies. Even accounting for error and discounting the "hey look, there's a Cardassian walking by in the background" type of appearances, the numbers speak for themselves.

Of course, there's a lot of similarities between the Romulan and Cardassian stories if you think about it (conquering race, oppressive secret security organization, snazzy ears and foreheads, etc), so really you could have interchanged the races in some of those stories and it wouldn't have mattered.

And Deep Space 9 being set on a former Cardassian ore refinery has a lot to do with that. Before DS9, they were only in a few TNG episodes while the Romulans have been around since the first season of TOS. At the end of TNG, Romulans had 27 appearances while Cardassians had 9 or 10 if you include the Cardassian Borg in First Contact.

I doubt you could tell me much about the Romulans based on the 2 (they were mentioned in 1 other one) of TOS.

The episodes of TNG helped to build the Romulans into a respectable villain and even an interesting race what with the whole Unification thing, but you can't overlook the fact that the Cardassians were intrinsically tied to the storyline of DS9 - it literally couldn't exist in the form that it does without them.

We could both argue this point to death I think. :D

Personally, the whole destruction of Romulus really ruined the Romulans in my opinion. They don't serve any real purpose to me anymore, at least until they get their new planet put together. Where as the Cardassians still have a homeworld (albeit one that's in recovery) and left a swatch of destruction across an entire region of the Alpha quadrant before tucking tail and running home.

My point is, I think there's just more story to tell with the Cardassians at this point in the timeline.

More doesn't necessarily mean better mind you.

Which is why I am hoping that the new Star Trek series retcons the destruction of Romulus to occur in a parallel universe. Although since the new Star Trek series is supposed to deal with new crews, then having one focused around a Romulan Star Empire crew dealing with the aftermath of the supernova would be interesting.

Well, rumor is that the series takes place after Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and before TNG, so Romulus is still around. If that's the case, the Romulans were still active in that time period too I believe. They had an ambassador on Earth during the events of Star Trek VI.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    1. Cardassians with more lore in canon then Romulans? Not by a long shot.

Cardassian have had more stories told about them and from their perspective on the television series than the Romulans have. While Romulans have had a number of books, those aren't considered official canon so they don't really count towards "lore".

According to Memory Alpha, Cardassians have at the very least appeared in 100 episodes of TV, while the Romulans have only shown up in 57 if you count the movies. Even accounting for error and discounting the "hey look, there's a Cardassian walking by in the background" type of appearances, the numbers speak for themselves.

Of course, there's a lot of similarities between the Romulan and Cardassian stories if you think about it (conquering race, oppressive secret security organization, snazzy ears and foreheads, etc), so really you could have interchanged the races in some of those stories and it wouldn't have mattered.

And Deep Space 9 being set on a former Cardassian ore refinery has a lot to do with that. Before DS9, they were only in a few TNG episodes while the Romulans have been around since the first season of TOS. At the end of TNG, Romulans had 27 appearances while Cardassians had 9 or 10 if you include the Cardassian Borg in First Contact.

I doubt you could tell me much about the Romulans based on the 2 (they were mentioned in 1 other one) of TOS.

The episodes of TNG helped to build the Romulans into a respectable villain and even an interesting race what with the whole Unification thing, but you can't overlook the fact that the Cardassians were intrinsically tied to the storyline of DS9 - it literally couldn't exist in the form that it does without them.

We could both argue this point to death I think. :D

Personally, the whole destruction of Romulus really ruined the Romulans in my opinion. They don't serve any real purpose to me anymore, at least until they get their new planet put together. Where as the Cardassians still have a homeworld (albeit one that's in recovery) and left a swatch of destruction across an entire region of the Alpha quadrant before tucking tail and running home.

My point is, I think there's just more story to tell with the Cardassians at this point in the timeline.

More doesn't necessarily mean better mind you.

Which is why I am hoping that the new Star Trek series retcons the destruction of Romulus to occur in a parallel universe. Although since the new Star Trek series is supposed to deal with new crews, then having one focused around a Romulan Star Empire crew dealing with the aftermath of the supernova would be interesting.

Well, rumor is that the series takes place after Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and before TNG, so Romulus is still around. If that's the case, the Romulans were still active in that time period too I believe. They had an ambassador on Earth during the events of Star Trek VI.

But the problem with having it set in that time period is that we know what is going to happen unless they put it in a parallel universe. The only way to avoid that is have some exploration mission where the effect of what happens in known space is not relevant. So in other words, have another Voyager series expect instead of heading back home, they are going further and further away.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    .... most of the last 2 pages have absolutely nothing to do with the topic....

Heck, MOST of the rest of the pages have absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Try and keep up! :D:p

This thread derailed as soon as the first minion meme went up, but came back on track, so it'll do so again.

It actually turned into a debate about factions, which is sort of on topic. As the OP, I'm cool with it going of the rails a bit.

I'm sure there's going to be a blog post today or tomorrow to add to the facts about this. So it's a waiting game...

"TOS themed bathing suits"

*raises eyebrow*

Fascinating.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    so, mr. SCE, in what way do bathing suits add to the facts of this thread?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

I'm not sure what was so controversial about this topic in the first place. Was this assertion of "FACT!!!111oneoneone" supposed to put someone in their place?
  • sfdstuff#3558 sfdstuff Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    Ask yourself this question: what makes a "faction" a "faction" in STO?

1: unique costumes that other factions don't have

2: unique ships that other factions don't have

3: unique missions that other factions don't have

Now consider the following:

A: the TOS faction will NOT have unique costumes; the regular fed faction can wear the same costumes.

B: the TOS faction will NOT have unique ships; the regular fed faction can fly the same ships.

C: the TOS faction will have 6 exclusive missions, and further time travel missions will be SHARED with other factions.

Now, remember what Geko said? "The TOS faction will be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans are". AT LEAST.

Looks like somebody lied.
    hanover2 wrote: »

I'm not sure what was so controversial about this topic in the first place. Was this assertion of "FACT!!!111oneoneone" supposed to put someone in their place?

more to show utter disgust at the way this fora finds it impossible to not derail every forum single thread. It may be a little anachronistic of me, but when I see new posts in a thread on X topic, I go to read updates about X topic. Not everything EXCEPT the topic.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

A: the TOS faction will NOT have unique costumes; the regular fed faction can wear the same costumes.

B: the TOS faction will NOT have unique ships; the regular fed faction can fly the same ships.

C: the TOS faction will have 6 exclusive missions, and further time travel missions will be SHARED with other factions.

Now, remember what Geko said? "The TOS faction will be AT LEAST as much of a faction as the Romulans are". AT LEAST.

It's a faction if they say it's a faction. This is just more of the tiresome "Every random dev comment is to be taken literally and accepted as an ironclad commitment to XYZ" as an excuse to feel special for shouting "Liar! False Advertising!"
    so, mr. SCE, in what way do bathing suits add to the facts of this thread?​​

TOS bathing suits.

It's a fact. They're coming with the summer event. As I previously said, there's not much news at the moment.

Are you being serious? Really? I mean, I've seen threads more off topic than this one go on for 50 pages of nonsense.

I don't think there's anything controversial about this. Nor do I think that I was trying to put anyone in their place.

I was merely trying to counter the slew of threads that were starting up before this one was created about there only being 6 episodes in this expansion.

Not too many of those threads around now though are there?

more to show utter disgust at the way this fora finds it impossible to not derail every forum single thread. It may be a little anachronistic of me, but when I see new posts in a thread on X topic, I go to read updates about X topic. Not everything EXCEPT the topic.

Hey, I agree with you. Check out the first page and see my posts there. But ultimately, it's a losing battle to try to self moderate a thread on these forums. So I figured I don't need to the stress.
  • mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    It's a faction if they say it's a faction. This is just more of the tiresome "Every random dev comment is to be taken literally and accepted as an ironclad commitment to XYZ" as an excuse to feel special for shouting "Liar! False Advertising!"

So how are we supposed to know when which statements to believe and which not?
    I was merely trying to counter the slew of threads that were starting up before this one was created about there only being 6 episodes in this expansion.

More than 6 missions in the expansion, yes. But only 6 exclusive missions for the TOS faction. The rest of the missions will be shared with all other factions.

More than 6 missions in the expansion, yes. But only 6 exclusive missions for the TOS faction. The rest of the missions will be shared with all other factions.

6 exclusive missions that we know of. They will likely have a Welcome to the 25th Century mission and they might have not introduced a couple of the initial 23rd Century missions.
    edited June 2016

Exactly what Hanover2 said. Devs are people too you know. They like to talk about their work because they enjoy it, and they're excited to share what they've done with us players. Do they sometimes get caught up and exaggerate? Who knows. Who cares. What does it matter really? It's a game for crabs sake.

Nobody likes to be called names when they're trying to tell us some of the cool stuff their working on (if you don't find it cool, that's fine, but a lot of people do). It takes the fun out of talking to us about anything, and cuts down on the interactions we do get with the Developers.

And again...WE DON'T KNOW HOW MANY EPISODES WILL BE EXCLUSIVE TO THE TOS FACTON YET!

All of the information on this expansion has not been made public yet.

Furthermore, this expansion isn't costing you a damn penny. So shut up and eat your oatmeal. ...I've got no idea what that last part means. (and further..um furthermore...I'm totally kidding about the shutting up part. Vocalize all ya want).
  • mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    There are 2 sides to the issue. One the one side, I agree the devs are people and it's not nice to call names. On the other side, people(no matter who they are) shouldn't say things that just aren't true. Mr. Gecko said that the tos faction will be at least as much of a faction as the Romulans. The words "at least" mean "just as much as(if not more)". So that would mean the TOS faction would have at least the same things as the Romulans: the exclusive uniforms, the exclusive ships, and dozens of faction exclusive missions. If that doesn't happen, Gecko shouldn't have said it. I mean, is it really that hard to just not say things that aren't true? So yes there are 2 sides to this issue and people shouldn't ignore either side.

Please, prove it.

If you have a source that says there are only 6 exclusive missions for the TOS faction than I'd love to update that into the OP.

I can't say for certain that there are in fact more than 6, because they haven't said anything on the topic specifically.

So until we have the facts about that, really, what is the point of carrying on with it then?

As for the statements...what statements are you having trouble believing? I'm not being snarky, I actually do want to know. It's hard to keep track of all of the statements that have been coming out on this topic.

Thanks.

There are 2 sides to the issue. One the one side, I agree the devs are people and it's not nice to call names. On the other side, people(no matter who they are) shouldn't say things that just aren't true. Mr. Gecko said that the tos faction will be at least as much of a faction as the Romulans. The words "at least" mean "just as much as(if not more)". So that would mean the TOS faction would have at least the same things as the Romulans: the exclusive uniforms, the exclusive ships, and dozens of faction exclusive missions. If that doesn't happen, Gecko shouldn't have said it. I mean, is it really that hard to just not say things that aren't true? So yes there are 2 sides to this issue and people shouldn't ignore either side.

You're right, up to a point.

Geko has access to information that we don't have access to. So yes, he could have been exaggerating in his excitement (he's been known to do that in the past) but he could also know that there are more exclusive things in the game for the faction. Geko also said that there was some debate on whether to call TOS a faction. For lack of a better term, that's what they went with.

That does make me curious though...how SHOULD we define this new starting experience and the characters that come out of it? Seriously, they didn't refer to the Delta Recruits as a faction all their own. What would you call it?

As another fact, I know from my play-time on Tribble that there are several items that are exclusive to the TOS faction. Those items haven't been announced officially, so I'm not going to spoil them for anyone.

Sure, the TOS faction doesn't get exclusive ships, but really, I don't think that matters too much. Ships equal profit and profit is good for business.

And besides, Lifetimers and Veterans get exclusive items and ships, does that make them a faction?
    Look mate, let's be straight with each other, ok? Do you honestly believe that in the next few weeks before launch that they are going to be adding another 20 faction exclusive missions for the TOS faction? Because thats how many it would take for the TOS faction to be "at least as much" of a faction as the Romulans. I understand you dont' "know", but I'm just asking what you think from a realistic standpoint.

Honestly that is a very unlikely possibility at this point. And I'll tell you what we do know for sure: we do know that the regular Fed faction can use the TOS ships. So on the ships alone we know it isn't true that the TOS faction will be as much of a faction as the Romulans.

One last question: when this expansion finally launches it it's clear the TOS faction doesn't have nearly as much faction exclusive stuff as the Romulans, are you going to be acknowleding that and calling them out for what they said, or will you just ignore it?
    Look mate, let's be straight with each other, ok? Do you honestly believe that in the next few weeks before launch that they are going to be adding another 20 faction exclusive missions for the TOS faction? Because thats how many it would take for the TOS faction to be "at least as much" of a faction as the Romulans. I understand you dont' "know", but I'm just asking what you think from a realistic standpoint.

Honestly that is a very unlikely possibility at this point. And I'll tell you what we do know for sure: we do know that the regular Fed faction can use the TOS ships. So on the ships alone we know it isn't true that the TOS faction will be as much of a faction as the Romulans.

One last question: when this expansion finally launches it it's clear the TOS faction doesn't have nearly as much faction exclusive stuff as the Romulans, are you going to be acknowleding that and calling them out for what they said, or will you just ignore it?

Which is why I called it a micro-faction or alternate tutorial system early in the thread. I have absolutely no problem with STO introducing new "factions" like the Cardassians or Borg Cooperative with what they are doing with the TOS Starfleet tutorial, but calling it as much of a faction as Romulans just shows that we have different meaning for as much of a faction as Romulans. If the TOS Starfleet "faction" came out with about 15 ships and about 30 exclusive missions, then it would be as much of a faction as Romulans.

Am I going to acknowledge that what I quoted from official sources in the original post are the facts that have comes from official sources? What exactly am I supposed to acknowledge?

Am I supposed to acknowledge that your definition of a faction and mine - to say nothing of the developers definition - might not be exactly the same? As I said in a previous post, Veterans and Lifetimes have exclusive items and ships, so are they now to be considered factions? According to your definition at least?

I suppose I could acknowledge...heck I won't even take a few weeks...that TOS captains DO have exclusive items as rewards in game. They DO have alternate visual and sound effects. They have an alternate path to entering the game. The will have access to the Temporal Agent recruitment system when the expansion launches...aside from that, who knows.

I can't tell you whats coming out in the next few weeks, because I'm not a developer. That's why I've said that a lot of what I'm saying that isn't a direct quote is speculation. I assume that it's okay if I speculate? You and others seem to be able to do it just fine without being told that they have to "acknowledge" anything once the expansion comes out.

But I can say with relative certainty that what's coming out in a few weeks is more than we have access to at the moment on Tribble, and I'm while I'm relatively certain that they'll end up being a few more exclusives in there as well, but again, I don't know any more than you do, so you're no more right about anything than I am at this point.

But I think I'll continue to speculate.

That okay with you, mate?
    We know your not a developer, so I'm not asking you about things you actually "know". I'm just asking what you think. Your realistic opinion. And my question was do you really think they are going to be adding another 20 faction exclusive episodes for the TOS faction? Do you really think that is going to happeN?

As far as different people having different definitions: since you don't seem to like other people's definitions of what a faction is, what do you think Geko meant when he said that the TOS faction would be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans"? He doesnt' seem to want to clarify what he meant, so we can only guess.
    We know your not a developer, so I'm not asking you about things you actually "know". I'm just asking what you think. Your realistic opinion. And my question was do you really think they are going to be adding another 20 faction exclusive episodes for the TOS faction? Do you really think that is going to happeN?

From the way you keep asking this its like you feel they would have to create them now and add them to the game by launch... Just because we haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist already. Now given that the devs seems to have been actively dodging the specific answer to this question/issue I am beginning to doubt this "just as much of a faction as Romulans" statement. That said I could easily see someone having 4 more missions in the TOS Alt-Start to give it a good, full, lv1-10 progression.
    there is already a level 1-10 progression - you hit 10 by the time you've finished the battle for caleb​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    there is already a level 1-10 progression - you hit 10 by the time you've finished the battle for caleb​​

which reminds me... I need new ear plugs before that many TOS phasers go off on my computer

As far as different people having different definitions: since you don't seem to like other people's definitions of what a faction is, what do you think Geko meant when he said that the TOS faction would be "at least as much of a faction as Romulans"? He doesnt' seem to want to clarify what he meant, so we can only guess.

Why would I do that? So you can "Call me out" about what I said here and it's not absolutely to the letter of your interpretation when the expansion comes out? My idea of what's going to happen doesn't matter one bit, so why is it at all important to you?

The faction thing is just a label on the box. And because I think it more or less applies and you don't, I'm asking for some clarification on your point of view. I also asked for some alternatives to calling it a faction, because you might have a better way of putting it.

I've got no problem with people saying whatever they want man. I'm perfectly fine with differences of opinion. I say potato you say tomato. What do I care? Oh sure, if I disagree with something someone says I'll say so, but that doesn't at all mean you're not entitled to your opinion. Don't know what gave you the impression otherwise.

which reminds me... I need new ear plugs before that many TOS phasers go off on my computer

What does that have to do with the discussion? jk. :p

But I agree. I love the classic sounds, but that one just gets right down into yer bones doesn't it?
    i would just call it a sub-faction, because that's what it really is - a faction within a faction​​

#LegalizeAwoo